Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
Mcflurry

Trader Rating: (0)
Mcflurry is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking First build thread

Hi guys,

I'd love to hear about your first engine rebuilds, or anything major you did on your car, what went wrong, and how did you deal with it?

I was just reflecting at how much I've learnt over the years, despite only doing 2 full rebuilds. I've thoroughly enjoyed buying old tired Nissan's and giving them hope!

I'll start things off with my first rebuild!

I purchased a Nissan N14 Pulsar SSS Jap Spec for $600.

After only 2 years of a mechanical apprenticeship under my belt, my days of changing oil and filters wasn't going to help me, so I bought the Gregory's Manual and began undoing bolts. After I'd removed most of the accessories, I had a massive pile of cans and bolt, none of which had been labelled, and no photos had been taken prior.

I took the head off the motor, the cams, valves and springs were all destroyed. I couldn't begin to describe the amount of sludge in the engine, there was so much that it wouldn't rev beyond 3k. It turned out the oil hadn't been changed in 5 years and it was daily driven, 1 hour return from home for the previous owner. This really impressed me that it would still run, and from that point on, I loved the SR20.

Through this forum, and PGA (Pulsar Group of Australia) I managed to pull the bottom end and began to rebuild the motor, using only forums, as none of my friends at the time knew anything about cars. Every day I'd go on the forums, ask questions and go home that night and begin to apply what I'd learnt that day.

It was a great 6 months, I think I broke about 10 compression rings while doing the bottom end. After buying SR20 parts from wreckers and assembling the engine, I'd messed the timing up completely, and on first start, destroyed a couple of valves and made a neat dint in the piston.

After pulling the head again, replacing the vales and leaving the pistons be (wasn't pulling the bottom end again!) I reassembled the motor, only to realize I'd forgotten to put the head gasket back on! So once again, pulling all the vacuum lines to remove the head, I place the head gasket back on, start it up and it's the great day of my life!

From that moment on, I never really consulted forums for person advise, as I wanted to figure everything on on my own. Just one simple rebuild lead me down the path of rebuilding a VG30 (which I won't every do again) with the confidence that regardless of how long it took, eventually I'll figure it out on my own.

Cheers
Mcflurry (Titchy)
Mcflurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
You put the head on without a gasket lol wow
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:26 AM   #3
Mcflurry

Trader Rating: (0)
Mcflurry is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yep, work a 16 hour shift then go home to work on the car. Have to say, I never forgot a gasket after that.
Mcflurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Head over to the build thread section and add some pics. Might be received a bit better..
Almighty So is offline   Reply With Quote