Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #91
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
damn son!
hellz yeah!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #92
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
bllabong89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Yea, not too bad for my first huh...I will be drilling some holes in the floor and slipping it in the car to see how well I actually did. After that is shoved in there, I will need to make a bracket for my seat to see what I can do about some door bars.

I am keeping my interior panels and will only have to cut the rear bottoms so far. Not sure if I will be going thru the dash yet so that will be figured out later on. I think I will be removing the rear seats and making a cover plate to clean things up a little bit.
bllabong89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #93
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Good news...The main hoop fits in the car and looks pretty good. It is a tight squeze but I guess thats good. The bad news is that while I was trying to get the main hoop in myself...I broke my windshiel

I guess I will be removing all of the windows now and try to get a little further with the cage and under body work.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #94
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Well I have a little bit of an update. I can't find my SD card that had pics of the main hoop in the car so this is the best I can do.

And this is after I got the sand out. This isn't even all of it but it probably cut the weight in half and made it much easier to work with...

After I had the hoop back out and emptied, I worked on cleaning up the garage a little bit and pulling some stuff off.

I got the rear brake lines off so I can get started on removing the undercoating back there and what do ya know...more rust.lol

After that stuff was removed, I moved on to getting the rest of the plastic pieces off and the weather seal stuff.

And heres a couple of other pics...This is what happens when you put a main hoop with very long downward tubes in your car by yourself.

And heres a pic of the underside of my grill...If it's a knock-off, than more power to the people who went as far to put a nissan stamp in the mold.

I'm hoping to get my gf to clean my subframe tonight for me so we will see what happens later.

Enjoi
Old 12-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #95
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

So...I didn't get any work done. When my girl says she will help...that means we will have a car day on sunday now.lol. Well atleast I got some goodies. She had ordered me some mirrors for part of my xmas present and didn't want to worry about having them at her crib so she gave them to me early...

And look at that... A nice big fingerprint.lol
Old 12-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #96
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
nice pick up on those mirrors... good build, keep it up buddy.. cant wait to see this car up n running..
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #97
blitzsti22
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
blitzsti22 will become famous soon enoughblitzsti22 will become famous soon enoughblitzsti22 will become famous soon enoughblitzsti22 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blitzsti22
nice build man cant wait to see your car done
Old 12-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #98
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks guys and I cannot wait either.

Well I got some stuff in and did some work on the main hoop of the cage this weekend. First off I am going to show the new products.

I got my stuff that I ordered on black friday from FRSport.com...

First thing is my Z32 Fuel Filter to keep things fresh and clean

Then I got some parts to take care of the Hydraulic clutch system since I had already ordered my S.S. clutch line...Like this Tokico Clutch Slave Cylinder

And this Tokico Clutch Master Cylinder

And then I also purchased some Moog Front Ball Joints

That is it for the new parts but here is a little update on the main hoop. I got it in the car and have the final cuts on the downward tube lengths.

Not to bad for my first time ever using tubing for something...

Well, that is it for my car stuff but my yard and my neighbors yard were infested with the migration...lol

Enjoi
Old 12-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #99
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bllabong89 View Post
And my candy from Jap man land

That stuff is the shit! My friend had recently shipped me a box with the assorted flavours! I'm almost out though since I've got quite a sweet tooth
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #100
HS13KLS
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
HS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
You're doing some good work man!!! +1 I like it haha
HS13KLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 AM   #101
Cannonblaster
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
Cannonblaster is a jewel in the roughCannonblaster is a jewel in the roughCannonblaster is a jewel in the roughCannonblaster is a jewel in the roughCannonblaster is a jewel in the roughCannonblaster is a jewel in the roughCannonblaster is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
damnnn is coming out so good... i love seeing these threads! makes me wana start a project.. goodluck dude!
Cannonblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:54 AM   #102
Tempo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (39)
Tempo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
that feeling of being able to say "i did all the work on this car" is just awesome

IG - allen.kerose
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #103
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo View Post
that feeling of being able to say "i did all the work on this car" is just awesome
Yes...That is the best feeling in the world and thanks everyone for the comments. It keeps me going

On with the update...
Alright...I will start this off by saying it was an expensive weekend...lol
I went to the Blues game Saturday which we lost again...surprising right? I spent atleast 60 bucks on beer there since they cost $9 a cup. But the big thing happened before that. I made a payment on my wheels. I found some wheels on craigslist and gave the guy half of the money and took two wheels and am going to pay the other half when I get paid. This ensures he has a buyer and I have two wheels...a front and a back.

The wheels are Racing Hart CR's in special order gold. They are 19x9 +26 and 19x10 +22. The tires half some life left on them so they will look good once on the car.
Front Wheel:

And Rear:

After I got the wheels up...I decided to get some work in. I have been trying to figure out a way to use my new mirrors in a way that don't look so cheap...On the APR website, you can look at the universal Formula GT3 mirror pictures. They have them on a silvia but they don't look good to me just because they are mounted to a Carbon Fiber plate.
I know that this is because it is a track only car but I have seen others that follow the same path and I want mine to look good. It is the little things that put a car together and I am going to do the little things to my standards...
So this began:
I started with the mirror and took the threw screws out of the bottom and cut the power mirror wires to get them apart.

After that, I began to disassemble the parts that I could. This included three more screws that hold the metal structure to the plastic housing.

Once that was done, I took a cut-off wheel to the housing and trimmed out the area that curved outwards.

After that, I made a template and cut out some sheet metal.

Took this from my old work. This glue is the strongest s**t around.lol

After that, I took the metal skeleton and trimmed it down to hold the plastic housing and keep my bolt holes to bolt it to the car.

And this is a rough draft of what it will look like. I still need to weld on a thicker plate of metal to hold the mirror and then fiberglass everything, sand and paint...

I also received these saturday in the mail. I ordered these last thursday maybe after mailing hours so Kudos to ManoNegra on here. I believe he is the owner of Skullworks or works for them and he got these too me in a hurry. I didn't tell him I need them quick but they got here quick. They look and feel like extremely well made parts and he included the hardware with them. Two bags with four bolts each. Thanks again...

Now that I have the Brembo Conversion brackets, I can throw a front assembly together and see if the wheels clear the brakes. I held them up and they looked like they should but they may need a 5mm spacer or so at most.
Enjoi
Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #104
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

And here is the front wheel mocked up to get a glimpse of what it will look like. The Brembo's will be a different color tho.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #105
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

***UPDATE***

Well, I got some work done on the mirror mounts and my brake mock up...

First is the mirrors. I began on the passenger side to get both of them to the same level or close to it while I get my fiberglass materials together and choose my approach... I cut the passenger side mounting plate to a similar level as the driver side.

Then, like the first one, I made a template for the sheet metal...

After that, I cut some sheet metal and fitted it in there. I also took a sawzall to the metal skeleton of the mounting plate to shave the un-needed material off.

I also cut out some metal from some thicker scrap I had laying around to give the mirrors a little more material to hold on to...I will also be using this scrap to make my rocker panel(should be starting that soon).

I cut out a section of the thinner metal to tack weld the thick stuff and so I will also have access to the bolts and nuts for the mirror. Here it is with the cut down metal skeleton.

Now, we will move on to a little modification for the brakes. I found out that I will need some spacers to make some space in-between the wheel and the brake calipers. Most likely only like 5-10mm spacer tho...nothing crazy.

I had to cut and tap some of the shield down on the spindle to allow the bracket to sit flat. I thought this would be enough room to allow the space needed between the brakes and wheels but not quite...

Side by side to give you a better idea of what I am talking about.

And the clearance...

I am supposed to get some time to work on the car tonight so hopefully it really works that way...lol.

On another note, I found out my ship date for basic is April 23rd so I need this done before then.lol. I am going into the Airforce and got security forces for my job(military police). Hopefully I get to go to Japan or something sometime and get some cool s***.lol

Enjoi
Old 12-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #106
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

I got some more work done last night. Made a fixed seat rail for the fake bride which will allow me to get the door bars in the right spot. I ran out of wire for the welder before I could finish it tho so I will need to get some wire pretty soon here...I also got a little work done on the mirror plates. I cut out some peices of metal to make the mounting placement sit higher. Should have pics tomorrow hopefully...
Old 12-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #107
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Well here are a couple pics of whats happened so far...
The fixed seat rails. Please excuse the poor welds. lol. This is what happens when your short...you have to make a custom seat rail. I could barely press the pedals all the way down with the brackets mounted on the sliders that the seat came with so I decided it would be more practical and safe this way.

After that, I work on my mirrors a little more. Still need to get the materials to do the fiberglass work but here is what I am going to use to lift the mounting point off of the sheet metal...I cut some square tube in half.

I still need to weld it on to the sheet metal but I dont have anymore wire yet.

Enjoi
Old 12-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #108
timinthehood
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (23)
timinthehood is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bllabong89 View Post
Whats up Conrad...I am doing the cage myself. I am trying to do almost everything myself so I can say that everything was actually done by me.

Yes, I filled the tube with water first. After that, I funneled wet sand from a bucket into the tube taking the place of the water...After that, I smacked it with a hammer to get all of the air pockets out and repeated until full. The ends were taped off with duck tape.

***UPDATE***

Well I got some work in on the main hoop last night after work. I have to say...it looks pretty good to me. No wall failure, the tube didn't flatten at all and it didn't kink. Great investment for me since I have absolutely 0000 dollars in to the cage so far. Because the tubing took so long to get here, my fabricator got it for free from the company. They just wrote it off as damaged goods and here I am with a 21ft section of 1.75"x.095". Lucky me.

And this is where it got crazy.lol. The tube was to long and was hitting the ground so I needed some more height...so this is what happens when your a master rigger with crap lying around.lol

And the finished product. Not too bad for my first one ever made.

And my candy from Jap man land

Enjoi
lol hi chew, yummy haha
timinthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #109
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

lol. Oh yea.

I finished up welding my seat rails and will have pics up soon. Harbor Freight plus 20% off means mig wire for cheap
Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #110
dRift_g0ddess
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (44)
dRift_g0ddess is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Wow I had no idea you were building an s14!! I found this link on your bike thread lol.. It's lookin good! Sad to see the Kouki front end though :| good luck with the rest of your build!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #111
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

thanks man and I responded to your pm and will be emailing you shortly...

***UPDATE***

So I haven't been updating with pics in a week or so and figured I would let you guys and gals in on what I have been up to...Not much but I did get some stuff done.

It has been in the 20-30's out lately but one day it got up to high 50's so I got some work done. Gotta love Missouri weather

So first is what I just found yesterday and hopefully have enough money for...This will get my brake system to baller standards.

Can anyone say 05 STI rear Brembo's?? lol Not official yet but hopefully will be in the next couple days.

Next is some more work on the mirrors. I had to cut out some pieces that match the mirror mount from some flat 18 gauge steel so when I fiberglass, It has the exact shape and looks good when completed.

and other than that...nothing really

Except that I finished the rails and mounted my seat...

and after that...I bent up one of the door bars

Didn't have any other pics of the entire door bar so here is my g/f testing out the seat and a look at the door bar. This is just the mock up but you get the idea...

and I had just enough to make a tower bar across the rear strut towers...

Well, thats it for that stuff... If anyone is intersted in a camera, let me know. I bought this for my g/f for xmas but it wasn't the right one so I need to sell the camera, case and the 2 extra batteries and charger that I bought for it. Heres a link to my ad. I payed 330 for the camera and like 60 for the other stuff but am selling it all for 330 plus shipping. We never even used it.
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/2144058918.html

Enjoi
Old 01-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #112
dRift_g0ddess
Zilvia Addict

Mmm I see you're gonna run the STI rear Brembos ! That's cool, I'm actually looking for a set myself...check out my front Brembos What do you have up front?

Before

After
Yum.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #113
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

I am running Evo 8 front Brembos on the front. I believe I have to run sti rears because Evo 8 rears wont work but it doesn't really matter to me. The brakes will be painted anyways.

Sorry about not emailing you about the bike yet. All the pics I have of it are on my laptop and its all messed up but hopefully will be fixed tomorrow. If not, I will try and snap some pictures when I get a minute.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #114
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
attention to detail, not afraid of rust, doing everything yourself, and a cute girlfriend as a bonus!! Keep up the good work man, it's comin along.
96Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #115
dRift_g0ddess
Zilvia Addict

Oh nice! Yeah that's true lol.. as long as they perform that's what's most important right

It's alright, I'm Heather btw but my boyfriend's been busy with work anyhow.. just send them at your convenience
Old 01-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #116
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Sounds good. Well I just sent out an email with all the info and some pics of the bike so hopefully everything goes well.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #117
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Alright, It's about time I get back with some updates. My computer has been down, like usual, and I have been sick for a week straight so now I have the chance to update with some progress.

Over the past week or two, I have gotten some work done. Not too crazy but some stuff got done.

First off is the mirrors. Now all I have to do is cover with fiberglass, sand and paint and they will be done. I welded on the risers that I made and then welded the final shape of the mounting plate.

And a look with the mirror mounted...

I also got some work done to the car over this last weekend. I cut out the rusted spots on the chasis...excluding the front(engine needs to be pulled) and my buddy helped out by getting some sanding done. He sanded the passenger qp and door. I will get some pics soon...

On a side note...I received a present from the UPSP man today.

My new STI rear brembos...I would have to say that once the brakes are on, my car should stop pretty well.lol

Enjoi
Old 01-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #118
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

***UPDATE***
Alright, I told you I would get an update as soon as I could and, because I forgot my computer at work, it took a little longer than I had hoped...
I cut out the rusted areas in the trunk and the rear seat section... Now all the rust that is left is in the front fender wells(which I need to remove the engine to work on). I started by hitting all the rust areas in the trunk with a cut-off wheel to remove the cancer...

Here is the area that was consumed by cancer in the rear seat section.

There is some more rust in this section but I think I should be able to get to it with the grinder and knock it off.

After that, I started some metal work. I had picked up part of a van panel from the body shop I used to work at so I used that as my supplies.

That is how it started...well conected to a curved section and some body lines but hammers do wonders. lol. Because I was hammering away, I took this time to start on the rocker panel also(all hand made).

and the piece of art...lol

After I made that, I started to make a patch panel for the trunk cancer.

And with a few cuts and bends, it became my patch...

I wish I had a torch to sprea the molecules of the metal to make it easier to work but I don't so it was pretty tough to work with but It got done and thats all I care about. The rocker panel is the full length of the cut out so I will need to make another little section about 4 inches wide.
Other than that, I have some pics of the rear spindles/uprights with progress.
I finally got the hubs removed. I eventually beat the bolts with a hammer. I would have thought an air hammer would work but it didn't...after a long time of trying.lol

and then I began to clean them up to get ready for paint...

Well thats it for now. I will hopefully get the motor pulled soon here and finish up the rust work. I leave for basic on the 12th of April for the Air Force so I need to get shit rolling...

Enjoi
Old 01-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #119
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Well, not much of an update but I welded in another chunk of metal to fill the holes.lol. but its very cold in missouri these days so I went to my g/f's and watched Californication and the blues game...

and I ordered this stuff a few days ago...

Baller bolts subframe kit and 12 bolt axle kit(not pictured)

and these...

DIF subframe and differential Solid Aluminum Bushings

Thats it for now

Enjoi
Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #120
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

I have some stuff for sale...

S13 Red Top head
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/36483...sr20-head.html

and

S14 Subframe Bushings
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/36483...-bushings.html

Now to start the update...

I worked on the car last night and finished one of the cancer holes I cut out. Now theres just a few more to go.

After that, I started to remove the bushings from my subframe. They came out surprisingly easy. I used torch to heat the metal hole up. Then I used a 32 mm socket and a hammer to bang the larger half of the bushing out. With 1-2 whacks, they slid right out. Now I just need to prep the subframe and paint it so I can get the rebuild on that thing goin...

After that, I used that torch to try and remove some of the undercoating on the driverside wheel well...
That made life much easier and I wish I would have used it to start with.

And the aftermath of the undercoating...lol

I traded some wheels for an sr20 red top head so if anyones interested, heres a sneak peek...

Thats it for now...

Enjoi