Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Z3NKIBOOST
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Z3NKIBOOST is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Best place to buy a swap?

I'm looking to either get a sr20 or a rb25, looked at some places online and check ebay out, curious if any of the zilvia ppl recommend a place to buy from im located in ca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Z3NKIBOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
adams 02rs
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (25)
adams 02rs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
tons of importers near rancho man, look into natural aspirations in torrance for the sr20. legit and honest people. ask for CHRIS(sr guru) tell him Adam sent you. all of his work is done 100% properly, and great service! or animal auto in ontario for the rb swap man.
adams 02rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
Z3NKIBOOST
Zilvia Member

Thanks man yea I called animal auto but had no engine as of right now
Old 06-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Kaifd3s
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Kaifd3s is on the path to ruinKaifd3s is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I got mine from a local importer. I wouldnt really trust online shops too much. I rather be there in person so I can see compression numbers and overall condition of the motor.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I wonder if G-dimension is still around?
They are in city of Walnut IIRC.

Or try J&R
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:04 AM   #6
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
jdmenginepro.com > Chris gives the best prices and always look out guys in SoCal, give him a call
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:39 AM   #7
azndan2
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
azndan2 has a spectacular aura aboutazndan2 has a spectacular aura aboutazndan2 has a spectacular aura aboutazndan2 has a spectacular aura aboutazndan2 has a spectacular aura aboutazndan2 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboyizmlg View Post
I wonder if G-dimension is still around?
They are in city of Walnut IIRC.

Or try J&R
I got my swap from James at G dimension way back in 07. He is a good guy.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:02 AM   #8
RichardDUONG10
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (23)
RichardDUONG10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I got a front clip from JR, running strong till this day, been a good 2 years. Forgot the guys name but he's cool and helps you pick out the best motor he has for you and starts it up in front of you to make sure its the one you want ! Also they did my engine wiring for an extra 100$!

Last edited by RichardDUONG10; 06-26-2014 at 03:00 PM..
RichardDUONG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
Z3NKIBOOST
Zilvia Member

Thanks guys I'll be sure to check all these places out
Old 06-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
STEEZxIT
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
STEEZxIT is on the path to ruinSTEEZxIT is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i'm having pit garage handle mine this week. they seem legit, i've had two friends go through them with good results.
they're in el monte 626 350 5700.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
EJ8 944
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
EJ8 944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
^ I got my SR20 swap at Pit Garage, it's a great shop, it's been 2.5 years and my motor is still 100%, and I've never had any issues outside of basic maintenance. I'd recommend them to anyone in a heart beat. Kevin is the man.
EJ8 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
90S13hatch_tony
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (24)
90S13hatch_tony is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Subscribed
90S13hatch_tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #13
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
J&R has been around for a long time.

Personally I have not gotten an engine from them, but have friends that grab a few motors from there.
They are legit, and like the guy above posted: they will start up the engine up front and let you choose which one you like!

GL
Old 06-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #14
akaina240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
akaina240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
did you guys all get the engines from these guys and then swap it in yourselves or have the shop do it for you?
akaina240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #15
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
China......
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #16
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
SR20 store
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #17
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

You can do you're own swap if you have enough experience under your belt.

I have done all my biddies swaps, they are pretty straight forward
Old 06-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #18
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
hit up Chris at jdmenginepro.com they are local to you, Chris is a stand up guy, his stuff is legit and quality is fairly priced.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #19
Z3NKIBOOST
Zilvia Member

Quote:
You can do you're own swap if you have enough experience under your belt.

I have done all my biddies swaps, they are pretty straight forward

Yea I plan on doing it myself just looking for a place who has them in stock with fair pricing and good motors
Old 06-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #20
RichardDUONG10
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (23)
RichardDUONG10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Heres my little experience at JR Auto, Overall experience was a A+. forgot the guys name, i think its vin ? Pretty chill straight forward guy, don't waste his time and hell help you if your serious. I was only 18 but came with cash so he knew what sup, but yea he help me pick out the best SR he had, first come first serve, helped me pick out a earlier Sr redtop with front fins on the block.

Picked my motor in his office where he showed me pics of the motors he had and went to go get it.

He offered to dismantle the motor from the clip for FREE ! i said f**k it why not it won't fit in my truck anyways and would be a hassle trying to get rid of the clip.

Paid for the clip and wiring and he told me to come back in a few days so i went back home with whatever i could take which was the side mount intercooler and this crazy tuned ecu which later bought a stock ecu that wasn't tuned to japanese specs

Few days later, came back and loaded the motor onto my truck. He was kind enough to help me load it along with my buddy that came and threw in some t-shirts !

So i didn't know how to swap or anything but had a good friend thats done swaps on other cars before and gave me the confidence to buy the clip in the first place rather than take it to someone. Plus it was for the experience to do the swap, which later in the future helped me to fix things on the motor, so nothing is hard now then a motor swap, so we did the swap in my back yard lol

2 years later this is the same motor now, still running tiptop condition, drifted, redlines, ran hard. Only problems it gave me were things i didn't replace when the motor was out and bit me in the but in the future were coolant leaks from the hoses under the manifold, radiator hoses and coolant leaks by the turbo side and my radiator failed so don't cheap out on that kind of stuff, theres complete guides out there on what to replace !This is the latest pic of it before it went into surgery to upgrade bigger turbo and other fun goodies !
RichardDUONG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #21
Z3NKIBOOST
Zilvia Member

Damn that motor clean^^^
Old 06-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #22
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardDUONG10 View Post
Heres my little experience at JR Auto, Overall experience was a A+. forgot the guys name, i think its vin ? Pretty chill straight forward guy, don't waste his time and hell help you if your serious. I was only 18 but came with cash so he knew what sup, but yea he help me pick out the best SR he had, first come first serve, helped me pick out a earlier Sr redtop with front fins on the block.

Picked my motor in his office where he showed me pics of the motors he had and went to go get it.

He offered to dismantle the motor from the clip for FREE ! i said f**k it why not it won't fit in my truck anyways and would be a hassle trying to get rid of the clip.

Paid for the clip and wiring and he told me to come back in a few days so i went back home with whatever i could take which was the side mount intercooler and this crazy tuned ecu which later bought a stock ecu that wasn't tuned to japanese specs

Few days later, came back and loaded the motor onto my truck. He was kind enough to help me load it along with my buddy that came and threw in some t-shirts !

So i didn't know how to swap or anything but had a good friend thats done swaps on other cars before and gave me the confidence to buy the clip in the first place rather than take it to someone. Plus it was for the experience to do the swap, which later in the future helped me to fix things on the motor, so nothing is hard now then a motor swap, so we did the swap in my back yard lol

2 years later this is the same motor now, still running tiptop condition, drifted, redlines, ran hard. Only problems it gave me were things i didn't replace when the motor was out and bit me in the but in the future were coolant leaks from the hoses under the manifold, radiator hoses and coolant leaks by the turbo side and my radiator failed so don't cheap out on that kind of stuff, theres complete guides out there on what to replace !This is the latest pic of it before it went into surgery to upgrade bigger turbo and other fun goodies !

^^this makes me want to get a spare clip from them!! Lol
Old 06-27-2014, 01:43 AM   #23
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Honestly just try to buy local from a importer or locals selling a swap..that way you can inspect it in person and do at a minimum a compression test to make sure it's decent..I wouldn't trust the whole getting a motor shipped to you thing because if it's bad or not what you want then you have the issues of shipping back and what not..
Old 06-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #24
hobbs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
hobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel mkiv View Post
Honestly just try to buy local from a importer or locals selling a swap..that way you can inspect it in person and do at a minimum a compression test to make sure it's decent..I wouldn't trust the whole getting a motor shipped to you thing because if it's bad or not what you want then you have the issues of shipping back and what not..
I can't stress this enough, I purchased a S15 drivetrain from a vendor listed in this thread, motor was trashed in shipment due to really poor shipping prep. Motor was damaged, arms and axles were just tossed on the pallet along with the S15 HLSD...Took almost three weeks to get my cash back after I refused the shipment but in the end I did get my cash back.

hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #25
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Let me guess, Wilson Trucking?
Old 06-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #26
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

^^exactly what I was talking about..man that would have sucked! But you can't beat seeing it in person and inspecting in real life and just loading it up onto your truck and taking it home..that way it's exactly what you want and if it's "not what was pictured" you can just walk away and continue searching rather then goin through what Hobbs when through
Old 06-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #27
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel mkiv View Post
^^exactly what I was talking about..man that would have sucked! But you can't beat seeing it in person and inspecting in real life and just loading it up onto your truck and taking it home..that way it's exactly what you want and if it's "not what was pictured" you can just walk away and continue searching rather then goin through what Hobbs when through

Just in case you don't know where he is from.

He lives local to these shops so favor is on his side.

Just about a 20min drive I would say
Old 06-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #28
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Just in case you don't know where he is from.

He lives local to these shops so favor is on his side.

Just about a 20min drive I would say
Yeah I only mentioned that because the op said he looked online and on eBay and I'm saying to keep it local and not buy online..so I'm agreeing with the local shops mentioned..
Old 06-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #29
spools420a
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
spools420a is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
stay away from jdmenginecorps.com whatever you do,they dont check there motors when they buy them so you may get a good deal or you may get this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DpX9aV7IRg

not worth a gamble just make sure the place you get it from does compression check/visual and internal inspections and has satisfied customer ratings and such.
spools420a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #30
spools420a
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
spools420a is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
I can't stress this enough, I purchased a S15 drivetrain from a vendor listed in this thread, motor was trashed in shipment due to really poor shipping prep. Motor was damaged, arms and axles were just tossed on the pallet along with the S15 HLSD...Took almost three weeks to get my cash back after I refused the shipment but in the end I did get my cash back.

Anyone else notice the spiderwebs INSIDE the oil pan?what the shiznit man?you would probably have oil pressure issues do to the spider eggs in the oil galleries lol no good at all what a crap shipper...
spools420a is offline   Reply With Quote