Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #931
tschmidt55
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
tschmidt55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rb25 questions,i have a rb25 looking for a transmission, my local jdm shop has a RWD tranny for 849.99, and a AWD for 449.99.. would it be cheaper to go with the awd tranny and just plug the transfer case for a rwd or should i just get the rwd? wanna spend as less as possible im trying to get it drivable fast,
tschmidt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #932
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidt55 View Post
rb25 questions,i have a rb25 looking for a transmission, my local jdm shop has a RWD tranny for 849.99, and a AWD for 449.99.. would it be cheaper to go with the awd tranny and just plug the transfer case for a rwd or should i just get the rwd? wanna spend as less as possible im trying to get it drivable fast,
Honestly I would go with the rwd. Less hassle that's for sure. Having the transfercase there and not being used, would add some useless weight.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #933
tschmidt55
Leaky Injector

weight doesnt really matter atm i just wanna get it on the road fast as possible. ill prolly go with the awd tranny, but do they actually make just a little plug that pops into the transfercase?? or is there a proper way to do it?
Old 09-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #934
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
weight doesnt really matter atm i just wanna get it on the road fast as possible. ill prolly go with the awd tranny, but do they actually make just a little plug that pops into the transfercase?? or is there a proper way to do it?
Proper way to do it is to weld it shut, still has problems clearing stuff (although as I recall it does have better baffling). Find a cheaper RWD (RB25) trans, they used to go for $900 or whatever but in the last few years the prices have really fallen.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #935
tschmidt55
Leaky Injector

okay, thanks!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #936
tschmidt55
Leaky Injector

another quick, i got a s14 shell wiht pretty much a r32 drive line, its got a complete r32 LSD and everything, as i said before im getting a rb25 transmission, but i wanna know if ill need to get a custom fit drive shaft? or with a stock drive shaft of the rb25 be long enough and or short enough?
Old 09-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #937
FutureFab
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (32)
FutureFab is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Here are some of the differences I noticed while swapping my rb25det S1 with rb25det Neo.

First off, the S1 was rwd and the Neo I got was Awd automatic, so there may be even more differences between awd and rwd neo.

Ecu plug is very different. S1 on top, Neo on bottom.

Neo ecu

S1 rwd has stamped steel pan, Neo Awd has cast alum pan, same as Gtr. Baffle and sump box are much more elaborate in Awd compared to rwd.

Neo water pump vs Nismo water pump

Neo timing covers are plastic like this, S1/2 are stamped metal.

Neo has larger stock turbo exhaust housing, labeled Op6

Neo uses top feed injectors vs S1/2 use sidefeed.

S1 stock intake manifold has larger diameter runners, about 1/4 inch.

Slightly different shape on intakes going into head. Head port shape is the same tho.
S1 on top, neo on bottom.

S1 water neck is larger diameter.

Crank pulleys are differ, S1 vs Neo.

Block casting is different for Awd Neo, probably not on rwd Neo.
S1 has holes in side of block for tranny bracket supports, they dont exist on awd neo block.

Other things I noticed but didnt photograph...

Cam sensors are different, Neo is plastic Hitachi unit, wiring is mirrored to S1.

Solid lifters and cams in Neo, revs to 8k factory.

Solid lifters are shim on bucket, not bucket on shim like gtr.

Valve covers are slightly differant.

Center garnish on neo between covers is just black, doesnt say "Nissan 2500" like S1.

Head casting is differant where coil packs meet up.

Almost all the wiring connectors are different on Neo.

Water pump pulley on Neo is larger (under driven) compared to S1.

Combustion chamber on neo is lower, vs S1 is recessed into head.

Neo pistons differ from S1.

S1/2 is 9 to 1 comp ratio, neo is 9.5 to one.

S1 has 1 thick washer on each exhaust stud, neo has 1 thick and one thin on exhaust stud.

Intake mani bolts are shorter on neo.

Neo has more bleeder lines for coolant.

Neo vct solinoid uses different clip.

Neo has no external oil drain like S1/2 do on exhaust side.

Probably more differences I didnt notice or remember.

Last edited by FutureFab; 09-23-2012 at 02:18 AM..
FutureFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #938
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
So my car shut off on me on the way to work this morning and I think I might have narrowed it to my maf. After it happened it wouldn't start. I unplugged my maf and it fired right up. Plugged my maf back in and it died. This will happen about 5-10 times until I plug it in and rev it up and catch the idle. I cleaned my maf at lunch and it ran perfect. Is it just getting dirty? I wiped the inside of my intake and it's filled with black soot.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #939
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Sounds like a faulty MAF, it would have to be REALLY dirty to make the car not start. If the intake side has a bunch of oil your filter either really sucks or the turbo is blowing a ton of oil back into the intake during compressor surge (not likely).

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 09-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #940
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Sounds like a faulty MAF, it would have to be REALLY dirty to make the car not start. If the intake side has a bunch of oil your filter either really sucks or the turbo is blowing a ton of oil back into the intake during compressor surge (not likely).
Well I cleaned the maf and it ran fine afterwards. It's not so much oil, more of soot from burning oil. I have an apexi power intake filter so I don't think it's that. It would start but I would drive it and it would die and then wouldn't start again until I unplugged the maf.

I just got a coolant leak last night I think. Walked outside from a store and saw coolant leaking and I saw a steady stream from underneath my car. It's right under the intake manifold kinda closer to the back of the block. I'm thinking it could be the coolant port back there but I didn't have any time to investigate it.

Also noticed the knock sensor plug by cylinder 5 was broken, the wire harness plug is fine but the end broke off the sensor. Is only one knock needed cause after thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it's been broken since I did the motor swap but somehow must have missed it.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #941
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Knock sensors aren't a huge deal, but some ECU's will kick into limp mode (reduced timing and lower rev limit I believe) if there's a knock sensor CEL. Check your check engine light, if it's code 55, you're good.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #942
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Knock sensors aren't a huge deal, but some ECU's will kick into limp mode (reduced timing and lower rev limit I believe) if there's a knock sensor CEL. Check your check engine light, if it's code 55, you're good.
That's makes sense, thanks! Speaking of that, I tried checking my codes and never got it to flash. I tried a wire but I don't think it reached the pins. Monday I'll try a paper clip and see if I can get a code. I reset my ecu after I replaced my o2 on Thursday
Old 10-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #943
bigheadJswag

bigheadJswag is an unknown quantity at this point
Really sorry if this is the wrong thread but anyone have a rb20 maf (j60) i think, for sale WITH the pigtail would be greatly appreciated..thanks

email: [email protected]

EDIT:Or at least sell me the correct pigtail, and does anyone know if the pigtail of a 89-94 maxima will work(on the rb20 maf)..thanks many again!!

10/5/12 EDIT: Last edit untill i find one, plz if someone has a pigtail for the j60 that would be awsome.. email me [email protected]

Last edited by bigheadJswag; 10-08-2012 at 04:32 PM..
bigheadJswag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #944
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I just got done with the swap on my S14. I got the tach dialed in by turn the poteniameter at roughly the 1030 position.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #945
tschmidt55
Leaky Injector

does anyone know if a the drive shaft from a rb25 will fit in my 240? i got a s14 with a rb25 motor and tranny, r32 rear lsd, will the shaft fit? or will it be to long/short?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #946
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I remember seeing a thread online with the lengths of rb drive shafts for those who want to get one done locally. I want to say it won't fit, but don't quote me on it since I can't remember exactly.
EnemyS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #947
PG BOOSTED
Zilvia Junkie

PG BOOSTED is an unknown quantity at this point
Dry Sump or No for a RB25DET S1 thats going to be dailyed/and drifted?
PG BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #948
tschmidt55
Leaky Injector

rumor has it, a rb20 transmission fits a rb25 motor without much work, but i also heard a stock ka drive shaft will fit a rb20 transmission and a r32 lsd in a s14? is it true?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #949
2F0-T
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
2F0-T is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just got an RB25 and for the harness, I was given an RB26 harness. no ecu for either the 25 or 26. can i still use the harness?
2F0-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #950
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
rumor has it, a rb20 transmission fits a rb25 motor without much work, but i also heard a stock ka drive shaft will fit a rb20 transmission and a r32 lsd in a s14? is it true?
RB20 tranny Bolts right up to a 25, but DS will length will be dependent on the Engine mounts you use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2F0-T View Post
I just got an RB25 and for the harness, I was given an RB26 harness. no ecu for either the 25 or 26. can i still use the harness?
No you can not
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #951
Zerolift Autolab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Zerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant futureZerolift Autolab has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Zerolift Autolab

Fresh stock of the Zerolift RB Engine Mount kits !
Price is $250 Shipped in the US !
Email - [email protected]

Zerolift facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Zerolift

Zerolift Autolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #952
zerooath
98 Kouki Slicktop. Tip Dealer!

zerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to zerooath
Does anybody know if the Mckinney Motorsports RB25 to S14 driveshaft is compatible with a RB25DET NEO?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #953
snmlmz

snmlmz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
gotta dent it so it can clean the steering shaft, unless you get the SYKO mount kit that comes with a special custom elbow to clear it
the syko mount kit says its for rb25, but will it work for rb20's as well and if not what should i do about it?
snmlmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #954
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by snmlmz View Post
the syko mount kit says its for rb25, but will it work for rb20's as well and if not what should i do about it?

Not sure but if you can find someone thats just selling the elbow it will work on a RB20 Trubo
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #955
tschmidt55
Leaky Injector

does anyone know he name of the part that bolts on to the rb25 block and u bolt the tranny to it? most motors have it build part of the block. it's the plate behind the flywheel and it's just a little bigger than the fly wheel. is there an actually name for that part?
Old 10-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #956
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

It's a dust shield, doesn't bolt to anything, and isn't necessary.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #957
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
^^ Cant a rock or something fly into your flywheel without that thing.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #958
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If you don't have a transmission bolted to the block?
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #959
Syncade
Zilvia FREAK!

Syncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via ICQ to Syncade
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerooath View Post
Does anybody know if the Mckinney Motorsports RB25 to S14 driveshaft is compatible with a RB25DET NEO?

Yes it is (as long as you got the correct length for ABS or no-ABS)
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #960
tschmidt55
Leaky Injector

can you get me a part number for that cover? ive tried everywhere...