Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
issac
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
issac is just really niceissac is just really niceissac is just really niceissac is just really niceissac is just really niceissac is just really niceissac is just really niceissac is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s13 will sohc gauge cluster work with 180sx tach?

will everything still work mph, engine temp, etc...?
issac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
You know it will. Why ask silly shit like this?
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
issac
Leaky Injector

issac is just really niceissac is just really niceissac is just really niceissac is just really niceissac is just really niceissac is just really niceissac is just really niceissac is just really nice
thank you very much but will it read in mph or kph?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
The VSS is the same for all models with manual transmissions.

Whatever gauge you use will read correct.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
issac
Leaky Injector

sorry for the confusion I have a redtop motor.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #6
projectRDM
Post Whore!

There is no confusion on my end, you're apparently lost though.

VSS = vehicle speed sensor

Same unit on both US and JDM transmissions, meaning the signal is the same no matter which one you have.

if the speedometer works fine now, why would changing the tach effect it? And if you change the speedometer also you're going to read which ever unit you install, MPH or KM/H.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
su177rit

Trader Rating: (0)
su177rit has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA
There is no confusion on my end, you're apparently lost though.

VSS = vehicle speed sensor

Same unit on both US and JDM transmissions, meaning the signal is the same no matter which one you have.

if the speedometer works fine now, why would changing the tach effect it? And if you change the speedometer also you're going to read which ever unit you install, MPH or KM/H.
vss are the same. i don't thing 89-90 sohc cluster work w/ sr but 91-94 dohc works fine. i could be wrong so don't take my word for it.........
su177rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:49 PM   #8
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by su177rit
vss are the same. i don't thing 89-90 sohc cluster work w/ sr but 91-94 dohc works fine. i could be wrong so don't take my word for it.........
Please don't throw a wrench in here, the guy is already confused. Since no one cares to research this I'll be nice.

The ONLY difference is the tachometer. Any 89-94 cluster, US, UK, JDM, whatever will work with an SR or DOHC KA as long as the tach is 91+. The 89-90 tachometer DOES NOT WORK. Everything else can be kept as is or replaced with another model, the entire cluster will work fine with whatever chassis it's in.

And google could have answered all of this four hours ago.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
su177rit

su177rit has a little shameless behavior in the past
Quote:
Please don't throw a wrench in here, the guy is already confused. Since no one cares to research this I'll be nice.

The ONLY difference is the tachometer. Any 89-94 cluster, US, UK, JDM, whatever will work with an SR or DOHC KA as long as the tach is 91+. The 89-90 tachometer DOES NOT WORK. Everything else can be kept as is or replaced with another model, the entire cluster will work fine with whatever chassis it's in.

And google could have answered all of this four hours ago.
sorry i forget mention that only the tach doen't work but you still have to swap to a dohc cluster one.....thanks for clearing it up
su177rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
issac
Leaky Injector

wow thanx for the info, could have used a little less belittleing tho. But I'm willing to accept it in trade for the knowledge thanx.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
'90RPS13
BANNED

'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute'90RPS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to '90RPS13
Hey Issac, You know that little red dot below your name?

ITS BAD.

Posting before searching yeilds TONS of those. Alittle bit more knowledge that will get you farther on the boards. *a
'90RPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
issac
Leaky Injector

Thank you for the heads up. In the future I'll try not to post unless absolutely nessecary.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #13
RPS13nutt

RPS13nutt is a well-known jackass
Sorry to hi-jack and sorry to bring back up a 10 day old post, But why does everyone say the clusters will not work?
I own a sr with the 89,90 cluster and even changed to the digi clusters I have installed now, and they all work.

The clusters by them selves will be a no go unless lets say your 91 broke and needs replacement. 91~94 will work, Same way for the 89,90 ones

The only reason why it will not work is the clusters' harness, you will need the wire harness behind them to go with that sohc or doch's cluster.

Pics and vids comming soon
oh yeah,
Bring the Flame
lol
RPS13nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #14
iiEddieGii
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
iiEddieGii is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to iiEddieGii
You can absolutely use an '89-'90 cluster with an sr motor. I have an '89 cluster with a JDM 180sx tachometer and it works fine.
iiEddieGii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #15
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Listen up, there are 3 versions of gauge cluster in question:

1) KA24E
2) KA24DE
3) SR20DET

all from the S13.

All gauges except tach and speedo will work regardless of platform and engine/gearbox combo.

With tach, DOHC tach, regardlessif it came from an SR or KA, will interchange across #2 and #3. SOHC will only work with #1. This is why if you swap an SR ino a twin cam car, you're good. If you swap an SR into a single cam car, you will need to swap out the tach to one from a twin cam, SR or KA twin cam.

The S13 VSS signal is the samea cross all trims. All speedos will interchange, with one caveat: USDM speedos will show mph while JDM speedos will show the corresponding kph.

Now, please show respect to members who are trying to help you. I realize that search is acting up so that's why I posted the info to help you out.

You have no idea how frustrating it is because that must have been the 10th time I typed this exact post this month.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #16
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13nutt
Sorry to hi-jack and sorry to bring back up a 10 day old post, But why does everyone say the clusters will not work?
I own a sr with the 89,90 cluster and even changed to the digi clusters I have installed now, and they all work.

The clusters by them selves will be a no go unless lets say your 91 broke and needs replacement. 91~94 will work, Same way for the 89,90 ones

The only reason why it will not work is the clusters' harness, you will need the wire harness behind them to go with that sohc or doch's cluster.

Pics and vids comming soon
oh yeah,
Bring the Flame
lol

No one said the cluster did not work. Try reading next time before crying about some useless shit that we already know.

And the harness is the same for all 89-94 models unless it's a HUD unit.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #17
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
No one said the cluster did not work. Try reading next time before crying about some useless shit that we already know.

Yes, HUD is different, as well as some small variations amongst trims, e.g. cruise.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #18
RPS13nutt

Quote:

89,90 yes, 91-94 also yes
intertwining those model harnesses are not the same.
give it a try and then come back with your info
the reason for it not working is 2 or more wires on the connectors are in a different place than the other years.

And yes I'll give you that no one said the "cluster" didnt work
Just tach. good catch, and thanks.
Here is the vid showing the tach working with it. notice the tach showing the 6100 rev limit point, (a soch tach)
if you still dont believe it works, I'll install the year 90' cluster and show the another soch tach working for you.
here's vids enjoy:

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s...nt=240sx-6.flv

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s...nt=240sx-3.flv

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s...nt=240sx-4.flv

Last edited by RPS13nutt; 02-19-2007 at 05:34 AM..
Old 02-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #19
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
I own a sr with the 89,90 cluster

Quote:
That's definitely a SOHC tach, but which SR engine is that? See pix attached.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #20
RPS13nutt

s14 sr20de motor
Old 05-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #21
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

timtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to timtiminy
so what do you have to do to get the ka24e sohc tach to work with the sr20det? i was reading some writeup from a guy in the UK and supposedly there is a way to solder/wire in a 10k ohm resitor on the back of the tach...("attach the resistor between the signal and ‘IGN’ screws on the back") This is speculation till someone tries it I guess. Unless people have already done it and have been keeping it secret? R240NA, ever heard of this??
timtiminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #22
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Never heard of modding a SOHC tach, doesn't seem worth it, especially when DOHC tachs are everywhere and take 5 minutes to install.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 05-22-2007, 06:08 PM   #23
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

timtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the rough
I guess the only plus would be to save money... would be interesting to find out for sure what is needed to mod a sohc tach to work.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #24
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
I've done SOHC tach with CA. It will work with sr too. Dont even need to pull the cluster out.

Premies will see in a couple weeks
Old 05-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #25
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

so johngriff, you going to let us in on the secret on how its done?
Old 07-01-2022, 08:03 PM   #26
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Delete this plz