Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-08-2022, 08:55 AM   #1
sash357

Trader Rating: (0)
sash357 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14 rear calipers vs Z32 rear calipers for drag wheels

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how much larger the Z32 rear calipers are compared to the stock s14 rear calipers.

I know Weld has wheels that will fit the S14 but not sure if they will clear the Z32 calipers. Anyone know or have some helpful info?

Thank you,
sash357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2022, 10:32 AM   #2
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they're much larger. nothing astronomical but if you're trying to figure out things for stuff you haven't purchased yet or not even in your line of sight financially. best not to fantasize about them fitting or not until you have them in your possession.

Dickhead answer, sure. But this could've been asked in the small questions thread.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:07 AM   #3
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
As much as it pains me to say this, join the "strictly drag 240s" page on facebook and ask them. fuck facebook.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 01:03 PM   #4
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
As much as it pains me to say this, join the "strictly drag 240s" page on facebook and ask them. fuck facebook.
but what do 240's in women's clothes have to do with brake clearance???

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:24 PM   #5
sash357

I swapped to a full 5 lug setup and already did the z32 brakes in the rear. I?m trying to avoid going back but might have to. Not really fantasizing here but trying to see what works best with the least amount of work.

Also, if I’m looking at weld wheels for a drag setup, don’t think I’ll have an issue financially.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:02 PM   #6
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by sash357 View Post
I swapped to a full 5 lug setup and already did the z32 brakes in the rear. I?m trying to avoid going back but might have to. Not really fantasizing here but trying to see what works best with the least amount of work.

Also, if I?m looking at weld wheels for a drag setup, don?t think I?ll have an issue financially.
If you completed the brake swap, wouldn?t you have the S14 calipers to measure the differences between them both? One caliper is a sliding single piston unit, the other is a fixed twin opposing unit. Spoke design plays a major part in this. Most of the drag guys have the simplest brake setup to shed weight.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:03 AM   #7
sash357

I moved about a few months ago and not sure if I still have the old rears. Haven't been able to find them yet. Figured this might be easier because if I can't find them, I'll just buy a pair of s14 rears but keep everything else the same as it is now. Not sure if the bigger rotor with smaller caliper would be an issue but then I guess I can just buy a stock size rear rotor.

Trying to maintain better braking but might have to switch back to the old rear calipers for the Welds to fit. Then gotta figure out the front fitment after.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:32 PM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I moved about a few months ago and not sure if I still have the old rears. Haven't been able to find them yet. Figured this might be easier because if I can't find them, I'll just buy a pair of s14 rears but keep everything else the same as it is now. Not sure if the bigger rotor with smaller caliper would be an issue but then I guess I can just buy a stock size rear rotor.

Trying to maintain better braking but might have to switch back to the old rear calipers for the Welds to fit. Then gotta figure out the front fitment after.
Weld RTS in 15? fit over the factory Z32 calipers. I have a pair of Z32 TT wheels on my car and they fit just fine (obviously). If you?re looking to go 15?, I?d be looking at the welds.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:10 AM   #9
sash357

Yea, I was looking at the weld RTS. Real street has them listed for the 240 and says they fit. My concern was clearing the z32 calipers but sounds like they worked for you? I know the 15?s can clear stock s14 brakes based on what they have listed.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:22 AM   #10
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Have you tried looking up Z32 fitment wheels to see if they match up? Stock S13 15" wheels will clear z32 calipers, so it's really comes down to spoke design on the wheels you're looking at.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #11
sash357

I've tried fitment about the same weld wheel on a Z32 and have had no luck. I know real street has the welds and states it fits the S14. I've reached out and they have no idea if it'll fit a Z32. I know spoke design can be an impact but its almost a guessing game between spoke design and fitment.

I'm not trying to spend almost 800 on one wheel to chance fitment and then be stuck with it. That's why I was hoping someone might have an idea.

Looks like I'll just buy the ones that fit the S14 and then swap our the rear calipers if needed.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:16 AM   #12
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Old 09-12-2022, 01:52 PM   #13
sash357

Thank you for posting the FB post. I don't use FB so I couldn't search on there. I am running Import Drag Solutions coilovers and they did mention running 6.5 but would require pulling fenders on a 9 wide. Seems like this might be pushing it. I was hoping to run a 15x8.

Wonder what the difference could be.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:45 AM   #14
tuzzio
Post Whore!

If you run the same back spacing, you should have about 3/4" more clearance with a 8" vs a 9.5".

However, height and tire size all come in to play here. You're not afraid to drag the car, but youre afraid to pull fenders?
Old 09-13-2022, 09:25 AM   #15
sash357

Not afraid to pull the fenders, just a preference.

Not sure what that has to do with the willingness to be drag/roll racing when its built for it.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:41 AM   #16
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Not afraid to pull the fenders, just a preference.

Not sure what that has to do with the willingness to be drag/roll racing when its built for it.
Why not get the 8?s and throw a spacer on? You?ll have to get different studs anyway to run the Welds?
Old 09-13-2022, 12:26 PM   #17
sash357

I've always been concerned with running spacers with higher horsepower. Most people I know don't seem to run them and have been advised not too.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:44 AM   #18
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
I've always been concerned with running spacers with higher horsepower. Most people I know don't seem to run them and have been advised not too.
Weld spacers to wheels, no issues. I would agree with bolt on spacers, but slip on makes no sense. 3-5mm is probably all you’ll need.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:27 AM   #19
sash357

Sounds good and thank you.

Looks like I'll have a few options either way whether its spaces, possibly going wider or just putting the old calipers back on.

Trial and error at this point.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:42 AM   #20
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Sounds good and thank you.

Looks like I'll have a few options either way whether its spaces, possibly going wider or just putting the old calipers back on.

Trial and error at this point.
Measure the difference between the current wheels/brakes and then throw an old unit on to see the difference.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:02 AM   #21
sash357

I can do that but I still don't know the spacing on the Weld wheels is compared to the stock calipers.

Someone already mentioned the z32's are bigger. All that would tell me is the actual size difference but still not know fitment. Plus, I still need to try and find the old calipers, if I have them.