Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-08-2022, 01:35 AM   #1
TheVinylKingz
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
TheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blitz SS BOV SR20 Help

I installed a Blitz BOV on my SR20det powered s13. I don?t drift this it?s just a daily driver / project car.

Anyways, ever since I installed the blitz BOV sometimes the motor stalls when going from high boost and coming to a quick stop (shifting to neutral) strange, not sure why. I?ve always had a side-mount with the stock recirculating system.

Also, does anyone know how now much tension the BOV needs?

Picture link as a reference

https://ibb.co/D8BcQtd
https://ibb.co/pRkyrjf

Last edited by TheVinylKingz; 11-08-2022 at 12:30 PM..
TheVinylKingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2022, 02:52 AM   #2
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
It stalls because of the way a maf car works.

The ecu is reading airflow through the maf, and when you vent the bov atmospherically all that air that it metered is let out of the charge piping. The ecu has already compensated for this air by adding fuel, and when the air disappears all that fuel stalls the motor.

You can tighten the spring to the point that the bov is basically stuck shut. Pretty sure the blitz DD came with the recirculation flange, but not sure about the SS.

The complicated and expensive fix is to get a map-based ecu and ditch the maf entirely, but that's a couple thousand dollar fix for a vented bov lol.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #3
TheVinylKingz
Leaky Injector

TheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
It stalls because of the way a maf car works.

The ecu is reading airflow through the maf, and when you vent the bov atmospherically all that air that it metered is let out of the charge piping. The ecu has already compensated for this air by adding fuel, and when the air disappears all that fuel stalls the motor.

You can tighten the spring to the point that the bov is basically stuck shut. Pretty sure the blitz DD came with the recirculation flange, but not sure about the SS.

The complicated and expensive fix is to get a map-based ecu and ditch the maf entirely, but that's a couple thousand dollar fix for a vented bov lol.

Thanks for the reply and providing some sense to this issue. I will tighten the spring and see what happens. If the same problem continues I?ll swap back to the stock recirculating system. Feel weird going backwards.

If I upgrade to an HKS will this still be an issue or is it the type of BOV, ?Blitz BOV?, that is the problem.
Old 11-08-2022, 11:20 AM   #4
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
from what I understand its the vent to atmosphere...i ran the same BOV with same issues...didnt seem to have issue with running a TIAL but the tune may have been compensated for it too...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 12:29 PM   #5
TheVinylKingz
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVinylKingz View Post
I installed a Blitz BOV on my SR20det powered s13. I don?t drift this it?s just a daily driver / project car.

Anyways, ever since I installed the blitz BOV sometimes the motor stalls when going from high boost and coming to a quick stop (shifting to neutral) strange, not sure why. I?ve always had a side-mount with the stock recirculating system.

Also, does anyone know how now much tension the BOV needs?
Picture link of BOV as a reference.

https://ibb.co/D8BcQtd
https://ibb.co/pRkyrjf
Old 11-08-2022, 01:47 PM   #6
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
It's purely the vent to atmosphere paired with a MAF system. Weld the charge pipe closed and put the Blitz on a shelf. You'll get your fanboy turbo noises and won't lose any metered air. Routing a recirculation is a drag.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:54 PM   #7
TheVinylKingz
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
It's purely the vent to atmosphere paired with a MAF system. Weld the charge pipe closed and put the Blitz on a shelf. You'll get your fanboy turbo noises and won't lose any metered air. Routing a recirculation is a drag.
So basically the SR20 doesnot need a recirculation system?? I can run it with out a BOV as well? Any issues if I do?
Old 11-08-2022, 08:18 PM   #8
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
plenty of answers, any of the responses for a MAF car applies to your situation. up to you what you want to do.

https://www.google.com/search?q=reci...tmospheric+bov

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 07:00 AM   #9
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVinylKingz View Post
So basically the SR20 doesnot need a recirculation system?? I can run it with out a BOV as well? Any issues if I do?
The BOV is an accessory, not a requisite of function. Theoretically it is a device to extend the turbocharger's longevity. In my eyes, the modern consensus is that running one isn't really necessary. I'd only use one if I wanted to daily my SR and get like 100,000+ miles out of a turbo.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 02:24 PM   #10
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
SSQV doesnt really have this problem

push type BOVs like the factory unit and your Blitz dont work well vented on stock SR ECU. they need to be recirculated. SR ECU creates a richer state when the throttle body snaps shut and the BOV purges air. ECU is anticipating a rush of air coming back in thru the intake from the BOV. Push types operate off a spring and tend to allow air bleed at lower boost off throttle (which isnt good).

pull type BOVs like HKS SSQV are much less prone to causing the engine to die as they tend to keep more air in the turbo system. been running SSQV 3 since 2011. daily drove my S13 for roughly 4-5 years without recirc. rarely ran into stalling issues. went to a powerFC DJetro (MAP) a few years back, dont have that issue at all anymore.

but yeah, youll need to recirc your BOV to prevent stalling out due to BOV being push type. if you ditch the Blitz you have and go with HKS SSQV, youll find that youll have far fewer issues with bogging/stalling.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:55 AM   #11
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I've been seeing more and more guys chime in with "a bov isn't needed" in recent years. Just screams drift missile shenanigans to me for guys who blow up their engine every year.

Atmosphere BOV issues have been documented for years on the SR, so plenty of resources for you to search out there. Old threads from 2006 are still relevant because it's not like the mechanics of these engines have changed in 20+ years. Basically as mentioned above, because the MAF has already metered air, the car goes very rich once the BOV dumps the air.

You can still upgrade your BOV and recirculate it. Most either come with, or offer a fitting so you can connect the recirc pipe back into the intake system. I have the HKS SSQV with a fitting recirculated on my S14 and it's been running strong for years now.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 05:39 PM   #12
TheVinylKingz
Leaky Injector

Thank you for the reply everyone I went ahead and went back to stock recirculation, but the SR keeps on dying. I went ahead and installed a “brand new IACV” that I bought a few years ago, and it continued to display the same symptoms. On high boost going into a hard stop, it looses air and it dies unless I Rev up the motor.

My idle on cold starts is approximately 800-1000 when it settles it’s 700-800
Old 11-14-2022, 08:24 PM   #13
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
maf placement issue, maf too close turbo or too close to filter or inadequate straight pipe inline with maf, or maf is dirty, or there is a leak near the maf. Or the recirculation is buffeting the maf hotwire, too close to maf. If the turbo upgraded the volume of air excessive for stock size or location recirculation.

Otherwise, look for dropping fuel pressure and watch wideband. Rich wideband = maf issue. Lean wideband = leaking air or fuel pressure or clogged injectors or something with fuel
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:24 PM   #14
TheVinylKingz
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
maf placement issue, maf too close turbo or too close to filter or inadequate straight pipe inline with maf, or maf is dirty, or there is a leak near the maf. Or the recirculation is buffeting the maf hotwire, too close to maf. If the turbo upgraded the volume of air excessive for stock size or location recirculation.

Otherwise, look for dropping fuel pressure and watch wideband. Rich wideband = maf issue. Lean wideband = leaking air or fuel pressure or clogged injectors or something with fuel

Thanks KingTal0n! You been very supportive and helpful! I will look more into the maf. Question Nissan still sells S14 SR20det Mafs. My question is if I keep a stock set up can I use the S14 SR20DET Maf or should I buy a new/refurbished KA24E Maf from Orilley?

Today I did check my ECU and it was giving me a code for MAF and CAS, the CAS is brand new. By default it?s
Got to be the MAF or wiring or maybe a combination or what you mentioned.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:10 PM   #15
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
OEM is better...the scaling seems to be off on the rebuilt options...I had to send my maf to martin/enthalpy to get my tune right as I didnt want to spend extra on an oem unit
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote