Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #61
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrodev View Post
Post count definitely doesn't indicate the ability to read as well.
I like how youre too chicken shit to say the same thing to the zilvia admin who said the same thing. Cool bro.

Were all just throwing out suggestions on what would be smarter moves (especially in this economy) to do with his money. But hey, what do I know right? I am only 23 year old with a high post count who apparently cant read according to you.

Ill add onto what Phlip said, home improvements would kick ass and would definitely pull a premium on property value. Id go that route since youre already a home owner. If not, look into investing it?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #62
RhdjokerNJ
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
RhdjokerNJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
buying a nice dailly isnt a bad choice but since u renlisted theres no point of a daily sitting. build the 240!!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #63
nekrodev
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
nekrodev is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
I like how youre too chicken shit to say the same thing to the zilvia admin who said the same thing. Cool bro.

Were all just throwing out suggestions on what would be smarter moves (especially in this economy) to do with his money. But hey, what do I know right? I am only 23 year old with a high post count who apparently cant read according to you.
Chicken shit? This had all already been covered and it seemed we were getting back on track by my first post in the topic on page 2. Then you apparently didn't read past the OP. Everyone else looked stupid already and was corrected.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #64
FutureFab
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (32)
FutureFab is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Go 1j vvti or 2j. The 1j will be cheaper than the 2j but is still really nice. Gobs of torque down low. Its got nice little details that add up. To list a few, solid type valve train with titanium nitride coating, 9.0 to 1 compression ratio, single turbo thats easy to work on, strong short block, exhaust on passenger side so no steer shaft in the way and your brake booster and feet dont get hot, shorter than rb, no tps or cas to adjust as they are fixed position. I wouldnt go sr. Exhaust is on wrong side, no torque, throws rockers, weak trans.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #65
240jake
Zilvia Member

240jake is an unknown quantity at this point
wow

what an interesting thread. I didn't realize everyone on zilvia was broke and jaded about the economy.

This guys in the same boat I'm in, we have some extra funds to dump into our 240s and enjoy it, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

WHY? because its a fucking hobby and he wants to play with his toy.
Also he still makes decent money that he works his ass off for, as some of us that had the brains to get stable jobs still do.

Personally i would sr20 swap it, put it on some coilovers/fresh suspension parts and drive the shit out of it.

And yes for some of us we love these cars because we just do.

Also id like to add, a big THANKS for your service, its much appreciated.

my 2c.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #66
4-20sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
4-20sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4-20sx
agreed! downpayment on a house. FHA!! only need 3% for downpayment.

its a long and tedious process but all worth it!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #67
nekrodev
Leaky Injector

nekrodev is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-20sx View Post
agreed! downpayment on a house. FHA!! only need 3% for downpayment.

its a long and tedious process but all worth it!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #68
Tank_4g63

Tank_4g63 is an unknown quantity at this point
9700$ Is enough to start an ls1 swap. If you want a reliable DD car with ~400 horses and still get okay gas mileage... Take it from me (having owned both an LS1 f-body (22-26 mpg on regular octane) and currently owning a 422 awhp 439ft/lb tq DSM (boosted 2.3l 4cyl car) that the F-body was more reliable (just a cam and intake upgrade to put down nice dyno numbers) and didn't cost as much as at the pumps. Though tires depending on how much you roast the rears, and insurance depending on your age may play a bigger factor into the cost to own on the f-body.

So I say find a wrecked f-body. Part it out, keep the motorset, and start planning your swap.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #69
FORZA MILAN0
Leaky Injector

FORZA MILAN0 is an unknown quantity at this point
9700 is more than enough.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #70
Tank_4g63

Assuming your buying everything, and not fabricating anything 10k is the bare minimum I would set aside for an ls1 swap.

Your looking at about 5 grand just for a parts car, or engine-set with harness, pcm, and trans.

about 2 grand for a basic mount kit

250 for the master cylinder kit
130 for the powersteering kit
~ 200 for the ac lines (assuming this is a street driven car and he is stationed in the south he will want this)

That is approaching 8 grand with no headers (stock wont work) and no swap oil pan ( need to notch cross member) and no mods at all. Which most people are gonna want to at least do a cam and intake as well as headers (need these) and an exhaust system (stock wont work, 3" aftermarket would need to be modded to work)
Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #71
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_4g63 View Post
Assuming your buying everything, and not fabricating anything 10k is the bare minimum I would set aside for an ls1 swap.

Your looking at about 5 grand just for a parts car, or engine-set with harness, pcm, and trans.

about 2 grand for a basic mount kit

250 for the master cylinder kit
130 for the powersteering kit
~ 200 for the ac lines (assuming this is a street driven car and he is stationed in the south he will want this)

That is approaching 8 grand with no headers (stock wont work) and no swap oil pan ( need to notch cross member) and no mods at all. Which most people are gonna want to at least do a cam and intake as well as headers (need these) and an exhaust system (stock wont work, 3" aftermarket would need to be modded to work)
It can be done with 8K rather easily. You can get the entire engine, harness, etc for around 3K. Actually you can usually (down south) where I live, you can find camaros and f body's in junkyards regularly. So it really depends where you look.

The mount kit and all that can be found on here in the market place frequently too.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #72
Tank_4g63

True, it can be done on the cheap if your can fab, and/or you are patient. But I prefer to budget on the pessimistic side.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #73
Boost_Fiend
Zilvia Member

Boost_Fiend is an unknown quantity at this point
I would like to see some pics of this 240 that you are looking to dump 9700 into. My guess is that it looks like ass and you should spend some of that money getting that thing looking good.

But if I am wrong (which I doubt) and you do have a somewhat clean 240 lsx swap is the way to go. I got a ls1 swap with a t56 out of a wrecked gto for 1500.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #74
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_4g63 View Post
dont forget the mullet. gotta have a mullet to match the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFab View Post
I wouldnt go sr. Exhaust is on wrong side, no torque, throws rockers, weak trans.
Yeah, horrible. I mean the fact that it came stock in our cars, integrates fully with the electrical system, hvac, etc... and has full & total support all over the world - yeah, sounds like the SR is a bad choice. Dont forget, there is no such thing as heat management. All the heat shields in the world wont remedy an exhaust being on the wrong side.

Listen, you make a point - but its not a well-made point. Its an issue, but nothing that cant be resolved. I'de rather have an OEM motor in my car, then some frankenstein crossover shit with custom fabbed braces and mounts. Everyone is quick to sell a kit, but when fitment sucks and you have all sorts of issues... you're up shits creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
you missed the point completely, which doesn't surprise me at all. I was simply commenting on the "spend 10k on a car that is old and on life support". When he clearly said he has well maintained 240 with all the maintenance up to date.
Dude, I do nothing other than miss points. Are you new to this forum? I'm barely capable of reading, let alone comprehending. Having a full on conversation is OUT of the fucking question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
If you read my comment, I to said 10k can go far, yet still feel like you went no where. Believe me, I have a shit ton of money in my car. But if that is what you like then what does it matter? People waste money on stupid shit all the time. That is what it's for, spending.
Money is good for doing whatever the fuck the original poster wants to do, which is why he should research and come to his own conclusions. I still think 10k is chicken shit, but oh well... we can go back and fourth on that one forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiDe_WaYz View Post
It can be done with 8K rather easily. You can get the entire engine, harness, etc for around 3K. Actually you can usually (down south) where I live, you can find camaros and f body's in junkyards regularly. So it really depends where you look. The mount kit and all that can be found on here in the market place frequently too.
Like I said, down south........... where having a mullet is not just mandatory - ITS THE LAW.

just a good ol boy..............
Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #75
Tank_4g63

Guess I better get started growing a mullet. I will deal with the mullet if I can get a 400whp engine with a cam and some bolt-ons that will still do 25-30 mpg highway and not have to worry about running a boost leak test every other week.

Don't get me wrong. I own a boosted car, and it is a blast. Primarily for on track use though.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #76
winter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
winter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
$9700 into a 240..... you should put it in a Roth IRA, but we're on a car site, so we're talking financial irresponsibility. Go ahead and blow it on hookers and drugs. Skip the car part.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #77
riptor
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
riptor is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
op. For 9600 on my bone stock sr, i got:
redtop sr+trans
tomei procams (260)
greddy hard pipes and intercooler
complete megan exhaust(header,dump, dp,tp,cbe)
s14 complete rear end
and 300zx brakes up front
megan racing coilovers(silver tops)

now i SHOULD have invested it and i would have enough by now to get something nicer..lol. BUT hind site is 20/20 and i LOVE what i drive..
Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #78
robinsone
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (8)
robinsone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Pay for college, become an officer, DO NOT stay enlisted, unless you have an amazing MOS. Time spent being enlisted does not pay like being an officer, certainly if you're going to be in for a long time.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #79
Heytheremr2
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Heytheremr2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Pop bottles with lil Jon and lil Wayne and any other lil in a 2 state radius.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #80
240drifter1
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute240drifter1 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240drifter1
Buy 3 pounds of green and double your money.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #81
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
PayPal me a good bit of it
Old 05-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #82
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240drifter1 View Post
Buy 3 pounds of green and double your money.
He has the right idea. Then you'd have 20K and could do almost anything you could ever imagine to your car. (ALMOST)
Old 05-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #83
Susej

Susej is an unknown quantity at this point
-SR20DET Swap
--New rad
--New front oil assembly
--New water pump
(Anything you can do to make sure it doesn't give you problems in the long run)
-turbo manifold
-larger turbo (journal bearing will save some $$)
-intake manifold
-injectors/ fuel pump/ fpr
-CAI
-aftermarket ecu (nistune or enthalpy mail-order)
-afr and boost gauge
-wheels/tires
-coilovers
-clutch/flywheel (unless you can just get your flywheel resurfaced)
-spark plugs
-boost controller
-turbo timer
-cage
-racing seat (corbeau seats will save you some cash)
-turbo-back exhaust
-new brake pads/rotors (maybe z32 upgrade)
-5-lug swap if you want a specific set of wheels that only come in 5-lug

Thanks to companies like ISIS and sites like frsport and enjuku, all of this can easily be obtainable with that kind of budget.

Also, I absolutely love how he's reiterated twice that he wants to know what to spend it on for his car and more than 80% of the answers have nothing to do with cars at all and a couple other people are complaining about his question (although that is not surprising here on zilvia).
Old 05-31-2013, 12:17 AM   #84
sil80d
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
sil80d is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
9000 on hookers and beer. 700 on a shitty coupe shell
Old 05-31-2013, 03:34 AM   #85
Mtndrifter14
Zilvia Member

Mtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to beholdMtndrifter14 is a splendid one to behold
Couple of sr20's would pull a premium right now.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #86
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
Buy my 240 save u a lot of money in the long run its already built
Old 06-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #87
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranestyle View Post
I have a well maintained 93 hatch, with only exhaust and a short shifter. All the usual maintenance stuff is up to snuff. I'm about to get a 9700 dollar reenlist net bonus from the army, any ideas on what I should do? I plan on a full forged rebuild of the bottom end, but after that I'm overwhelmed by the options. Any suggestions would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
If you think you are overwhelmed, just think how we feel trying to answer the same question that you can't even answer for yourself!?! We have no idea who you are, what you want in the end, can you do the work for yourself, is this the only money you are ever going to dump into the car, do you own a daily, is this going to be your daily, what is your plan in life, do you own a house, do you live with your parents, do your parents live with you, are you a parent... I think you get the idea! Unless you are wanting over 400whp, then I really don't see the need in building the bottom end at all. Maybe get an SR and a GT2871R, cams, springs, intercooler, clutch, radiator, engine management, injectors, fuel pump and so on. Or just toss an LS in it if you want something straight forward and reliable. The install will be more difficult than the SR, but there will be less headache and things to go wrong down the road. There's just an infinite amount of options for you if you don't narrow it down for us.
Yes, your car. Do what you want to do with your money.

PS - I am PayPal verified and more than happy to take that $9700 off your hands since you don't know what to do with it and if I had that cash, I know EXACTLY what I'll do with it.

xquizitditz
Closed Thread