Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-02-2003, 12:59 AM   #1
japboy06
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
japboy06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 200+ hp KA non-turbo help

hey everyone...umm i have a KA in my 1991 coupe...jus wanna make my engine 200hp or more without turboing it...tell me what i should do! hahah thanks everybodies!
japboy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2003, 06:53 AM   #2
orion::S14
Nissanaholic!

orion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud of
Won't happen...

To make the KA have 200rwhp N/A is VERY costly and would not be streetable IMO.

Intake, headers, exhaust, cams, ECU, flywheel, and underdrive pulley will get you roughly 160-170 rear wheel HP. Add high compression pistons (11:1 or so) and you'll see another 15rwhp...

To increase RWHP, you either increase revs, or increase torque. It's the definition of HP. You can't rev the KA past 7500 for a long period without destroying the motor, and it doesn't breathe well up there anyway. So your left to make it efficient as possible to increase the torque output, and doing what I listed above is about the extent of it...

180rwhp is about the limit of the KA without forced induction...but that's not a bad thing.

What's your reasoning behind not wanting to put a turbo on it?

You could use a T3 and boost it to 5psi and make 200rwhp easy, for as little as $1500 if you did the work yourself. That's half as much as any N/A buildup that wouldn't get you anywhere near the 200 mark.

Let us know your reasoning and we'll set you straight...

Later - Brian
orion::S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 09:40 AM   #3
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Re: 200+ hp KA non-turbo help

Quote:
Originally posted by japboy06
tell me what i should do!
You should research.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Eternal_240Sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Eternal_240Sx is making a name for him/her selfEternal_240Sx is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i agree with orion. Why not just turbo charge your car? It will probrably be cheaper and if you know what your doing it probrably be as reliable as any NA car.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:48 PM   #5
KEINsm
Leaky Injector

KEINsm is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to KEINsm
If you consider yourself "gay & furious" or "too gay to [be] furious"
install a wet nitrous kit on your car.
That's the fastest and cheapest way to get your car closer to the 200hp mark.
KEINsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 09:20 PM   #6
s13rookie
Zilvia FREAK!

s13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to s13rookie
well, nos, is considered forced induct6ion and in the same class, ( i figure) as a turbo, so that may be out

why are you against a turbo?
Old 06-02-2003, 10:32 PM   #7
ellinikomangas

ellinikomangas is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ellinikomangas
You could always buy one.
http://www.afterdarktuning.com/item.phtml?id=46690
ellinikomangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 09:00 AM   #8
TBreu007
Leaky Injector

Location: Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son...
TBreu007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TBreu007
Well, to all those that say 200+ HP isn't feasable, I say BS...those people have never tried. I just dynoed (engine dyno) over 200hp and 200lb/tq with .040 over STOCK pistons, balance, blueprint, match port head, stock cams and valves, JWT ecu and header with custom merge collector. This is a race motor on 100 octane, but with some simple things like pulleys, intake(not allowed in my race class), exhaust, ECU, header and match port the head, 200+ crank HP is very achievable with a little elbow grease.

That being said, a SR20DET would be MUCH more cost effective for a street car. You could get two SR20DET's for the price of a 200hp KA24.

Last edited by TBreu007; 06-03-2003 at 09:03 AM..
TBreu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 09:10 AM   #9
Steeles
Post Whore!

Steeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Steeles Send a message via Yahoo to Steeles
Quote:
Originally posted by TBreu007
Well, to all those that say 200+ HP isn't feasable, I say BS...those people have never tried. I just dynoed (engine dyno) over 200hp and 200lb/tq with .040 over STOCK pistons, balance, blueprint, match port head, stock cams and valves, JWT ecu and header with custom merge collector. This is a race motor on 100 octane, but with some simple things like pulleys, intake(not allowed in my race class), exhaust, ECU, header and match port the head, 200+ crank HP is very achievable with a little elbow grease.

That being said, a SR20DET would be MUCH more cost effective for a street car. You could get two SR20DET's for the price of a 200hp KA24.
Keyword there is CRANK. everyone else here is talking REAR WHEEL. your two hundred crank is what 170-180 to the rear wheels? apples and oranges. dotnt confuse the
Old 06-03-2003, 10:34 AM   #10
Zemus
Nissanaholic!

Zemus is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Zemus
I am also working on modding the KA, but mines a 24e.

My plan is to get pullys, cams, and an intake adapter, and port out the head and get some other blueprinting done, and then maybe an ECU, that could pull me to 160HP maybe if im lucky at the wheels. Then I can start working on a turbo setup, with all that stuff, you can put on a turbo whenever you want. That is from what i have found, the best way to go.
Zemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:08 AM   #11
orion::S14
Nissanaholic!

orion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by TBreu007
...200+ crank HP is very achievable with a little elbow grease.
As Steeles pointed out, and as I'm sure you know, crank HP and RWHP are very different. 200HP at the crank is easy - I had I/H/E, pulley, S13 cams, and JWT ECU and made 160rwhp - Assume 15% loss and you get 185 crank HP(or even 20% loss and that's 192 crank)- That extra 15 would be easy to find, albeit expensive.

So congrats, you did well...most people don't go the distance.

But 200rwhp is not acheivable with SERIOUS work.

And that was my 'mark' when building my car - I was making 160rwhp, running low 15s at 92mph in the quarter, and doing well on the track (holding my own against the FDs and Supras on a short road course), but I could have been competitive with the extra 40rwhp (or 500 less lbs, either way).

Anyway, what's the spec on the chassis you're running TBreu007...specifically the weight.

Later - Brian
orion::S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:22 PM   #12
TBreu007
Leaky Injector

Location: Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son...
TBreu007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TBreu007
It's a SCCA Improved Touring S car. The weight is 2550 with driver, so it should be pretty fun.

I'm no n00b...I know the difference between crank HP and RWHP. I've been around race cars for quite some time and have torn down this car to a bare tub and fully rebuilt replacing pretty much everything along the way...no small undertaking! The original post from japboy06 was asking for 200 HP out of his engine...he didn't specify RWHP.
FWIW, I didn't give my exact HP number to keep the exact number a secret to my competitors that might be lurking, but my HP number was *over* 200 crank HP...I never said what my RWHP was
TBreu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:20 PM   #13
hotrodman

hotrodman is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink 300hp also possible.

In the September 1994 issue of sport truck on pgs.116-120 show a land speed race truck powered by guess what? The e baby! It has these mods listed- ceramic-coated JE pistons, Carrillo rods, a crane cam and Gerolomy adjustable rocker arms on a ported alluminum head. With 13.5:1 compression, this engine is pure racing material with twin 50mm mikuni sidedraft carbs,a crank-fired msd ignition, doug thorley header and open exhaust. It has a 5 speed with 3.54 posi-trac rearend. It didn't say if it was crank or rwhp though. But, anybody who doubts me I listed what mag and the date. I can't post pics worth a dang so no pics of yet.