Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-19-2005, 07:34 PM   #31
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB
Did you read aznpoopy's post? The NA and turbo SR's are hardly the same. I can understand a DET swap as a easy way to go turbo. But the NA SR is a more fragile block than the KA. Only direction you can really go in is I/H/E, ITB's, cams. But you're not going to boost it like a DET or even what an iron block KA can handle. Autech FTW!
Some of the FWD SR20DE guys were able to get some decent power out of their motors after going turbo. And they were on stock bottom end too.

And just FYI, someone above posted that the RWD SR20DETs had 8.3:1 CR. That's false. It's 8.5:1, not 8.3:1. If you don't believe me, ask Enthalpy and do a search on Fresh Alloy. They will laugh at you if you said 8.3:1.

Also, I am not sure if hydralic self adjusting lifters is the same as "mechanical shim in bucket type lifters", but I have a feeling that they're not the same, and the RWD SRs indeed have hydralic self adjusting lifters.

Not all RWD SRs have the VVT on the intake cam. Only the S14 and S15 motors came with them. S13 redtop or blacktop motors were both static cams that has 1 set lift and 1 set duration configuration. Nothing adjusts them other than aftermarket adjustable cam sprockets.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2005, 08:12 PM   #32
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosideways
And just FYI, someone above posted that the RWD SR20DETs had 8.3:1 CR. That's false. It's 8.5:1, not 8.3:1. If you don't believe me, ask Enthalpy and do a search on Fresh Alloy. They will laugh at you if you said 8.3:1.
just can't rely on the damn internet for anything these days!
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:02 PM   #33
outerheaven2k4

Trader Rating: (0)
outerheaven2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
N/A power! Hell ya! ^_^
What SR20DE did you get? from a s13/s14/s15?
I've been looking for a SR20DE from a S15 personally :P
outerheaven2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:22 PM   #34
JigokuZ
Leaky Injector

JigokuZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep us posted.. I was thinking of doing a SR20DE for better gas mileage...
JigokuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:33 PM   #35
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (-1)
nissantuner22 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nissantuner22
Its in. Its official. After rocking the shiat outta it trying to get the mounts in, it finnally popped in. Its a grand sight indeed. Tommorrow I go about attaching all the miscellanous stuff, and just maybe.... starting it up! pics tommorrow morning for you guys.

Its an S13 motor, destined to be bolt on powered with ITB's

Current Project: Operation: N/A SR: 93 Silvia Q SR20DE Engine with go fast goodies. ,
"Common problems 240sx's suffer from are curbs, trees, ditches, and other immovable objects."thx247

"on the tounge... there is no guardrails."- citizen
nissantuner22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:56 PM   #36
kazuo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
kazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
HEY!

Umm.. you didn't answer my question.

Why is installing a SR20DE easier than installing a DET?

Just curious.
kazuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:58 PM   #37
IAM_SO_sLOw
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
IAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IAM_SO_sLOw
lol i didnt notice that you were gonna go sr20de i always thought it was a typo...lol anyways..will the 89 maxima clutch w/ 90 throw out bearing fit a sr20det?
-thanks?
IAM_SO_sLOw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:21 AM   #38
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

89 maxima clutch and pressure plate work, you must use a 90 throw out bearing from a 240.

O Kazuo, its easier because of the wiring, its literally plug and play. That and you dont have to cut out part of your fender for the SMIC.

Heres some pics, hopefully by the end of today it will look almost like an engine.

Current Project: Operation: N/A SR: 93 Silvia Q SR20DE Engine with go fast goodies. ,
"Common problems 240sx's suffer from are curbs, trees, ditches, and other immovable objects."thx247

Old 12-20-2005, 08:57 AM   #39
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
congratulations man!
Old 12-20-2005, 12:16 PM   #40
NZO
Zilvia FREAK!

NZO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to NZO
What happened to the autech motorset?

sentinelguild.com/nzo/PFCDB/
NZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:15 PM   #41
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

autech? no clue, must be thinking of someone else.

OH BOY the wiring. This is gonna be fun. I'm going to try to use the KA harness. Wish me luck guys

Today, I got a few things done. The heater hoses are all set up nice nice, custom routed. Worked out pretty well! The power steering is on, after I swapped pullies with my KA... different amount of ribs on the belts. AC is mounted and ready to go, and I test fit the SR20DE harness. Talk about a lot of plugs that I have no idea what they go to. In comparision to the KA harness, near the MAF sensor wire I have 3 big plugs that I have no idea about.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:47 PM   #42
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissantuner22
autech? no clue, must be thinking of someone else.

OH BOY the wiring. This is gonna be fun. I'm going to try to use the KA harness. Wish me luck guys

Today, I got a few things done. The heater hoses are all set up nice nice, custom routed. Worked out pretty well! The power steering is on, after I swapped pullies with my KA... different amount of ribs on the belts. AC is mounted and ready to go, and I test fit the SR20DE harness. Talk about a lot of plugs that I have no idea what they go to. In comparision to the KA harness, near the MAF sensor wire I have 3 big plugs that I have no idea about.
So with that said, you just basically yourself by saying that the SR20DE is a much easier swap than the SR20DET swap, since the wiring seems to be an issue for you, and the only thing that's "easier" about the DE swap over the DET swap is that you don't have to drill a hole for the intercooler piping, which, if you must ask, is not a hard thing to do, unless you were going about cutting the hole with a Swiss Army knife or something.....

Old 12-20-2005, 04:51 PM   #43
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

well...ya!

After readin more in depth it appears a lot of the plugs just arent simply used. Still though, Its not as simple as first thought.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:05 PM   #44
silviaz
Zilvia Junkie

silviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissantuner22
well...ya!

After readin more in depth it appears a lot of the plugs just arent simply used. Still though, Its not as simple as first thought.
This is always like that. Nothing is easy in life.
Props to u, that's a nice project.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:14 PM   #45
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

wiring Day 2. In the process of pulling the stock KA harness out through the firewall, and lengthing the SR20DE harness wires. More to come

Old 12-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #46
nsn240
Zilvia Addict

nsn240 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nsn240
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB
Did you read aznpoopy's post? The NA and turbo SR's are hardly the same. I can understand a DET swap as a easy way to go turbo. But the NA SR is a more fragile block than the KA. Only direction you can really go in is I/H/E, ITB's, cams. But you're not going to boost it like a DET or even what an iron block KA can handle. Autech FTW!
what are you talking about man? the sr20det and sr20de are almost the exact same motor (see above posts about the differences) The aluminum is more 'fragile' compared to the ka iron but you can go plently of directions besides na power... a set of det pistons and you are fine... or keep the pistons and run lower boost (my setup)
nsn240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:36 AM   #47
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

an SR20DE with DET pistons and rods, oil squirters, is essentially the same motor, minus a different valve train design. It can handle the same boost at that point.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:53 PM   #48
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

UP FREAKIN DATE. Looking back on this swap, let me say this. At first I was intimidated with the wiring. I have thus realized, its pretty easy to get it to work. What you need to do guys to get a running SR20DE the easiest way.

- Use KA harness. This eliminates having to redo the 3 plugs by the battery
- Rewire Idle air control valve and FICD into one plug.

Tommorrow I'll try to write up some more info for you guys and toss up some pics.

So today I cleaned up some of the wiring, My harness was all unpeeled, so I taped it back up. *pics tommorrow*

I purchased a heater hose from a neon 2.0L to use as the top radiator hose, since im using the KA radiator. Trimmed to fit, worked well. *pics tommorrow*
Interesting sidenote. You can use a stock KA24DE radiator hose on the bottom radiator fitting, elimanating the need for crazy custom bent ones.

I then connected the vacuum line to master cylinder with a 3/8 fitting, since mine was cut on the SR.

I used the stock KA24DE ignition coil, in the OEM location, with my SR20DE coil plug. Since I used the KA harness, plug and play.

I checked all the grounds and dodads, filled up the radiator, filled up the tranny, and installed the SR20DE ecu.

NOTHING.

Car will not start by just plugging it into the harness. Clearly a pin or 2 is off, I will need to fix the ECU pinouts! DAMNIT! ( Anyone have a RWD SR20DE ecu pinout???)

I than attached the KA ecu.

Cranked over! ( My ignition was disconnected, valve cover off, and I had poured oil on the cams )

I cranked it over for about 20 seconds, than oil came pouring out the tubes onto the cams, and I was a happy camper.

I then put the valve cover back on, and looked at my good friend Rob. The moment of truth.

I turned the key, and it started up on the FIRST CRANK!!!

So there it was, on the KA ecu, KA harness slightly modified, idling pretty happily after sitting for a year in my garage at a cool calm 850 rpm. The sound of the stock secondary exhaust piping EGR outlet open was quite... racy. I let it idle for a bit, than gave it a little rev. OMG it rocks socks.

Another sidenote, I need to change the coolant sensor, according to my friend it reads in celsius, not farhenhiet, or vice versa so i gotta swap it. Anyhow more info and pics later. GO ME!!!

Old 12-23-2005, 10:18 PM   #49
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
temp sensors dont read celcius or farenheit, they just change resistance at different temperatures
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 01:52 AM   #50
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

congratulations
Old 12-24-2005, 09:01 AM   #51
sepulchral
BANNED

sepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymore
how much was that motor, is that a waste of time to replace the stock ka with that motor? i mean i know its all personal prefrence, but as far as power is concerned couldnt you have spent a lil more for a sr20deT or a turbo setup for the ka? nice swap btw.. what are the numbers on the stock sr20de? Have u started/driven it yet?
sepulchral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 09:19 AM   #52
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Ghettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ghettokracker71 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettokracker71
Beat me to the draw,mcsepulchral....IIRC they have less output (stock) then a KA (stock) ? Hmm. Its a hot swap just for rareness,and etc alone.

Update with pics!
Ghettokracker71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #53
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

Hotness

Old 12-24-2005, 11:31 AM   #54
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Congrats bro! I wanna hear it running now!!! haha
Old 12-24-2005, 11:27 PM   #55
nissantuner22
Zilvia FREAK!

it needs new fuel injector o-rings, im flooding it out after i turn it off!!! o well. almost done!

Old 12-25-2005, 10:23 AM   #56
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Good job on your swap, but what was the point. You just spent T&M installing a NA sr. Now you have an engine that is inferior to the DET, and you are going to probably be spending another $2500 on a turbo kit and more T&M for an engine that is still more inferior to that of the KA when bolted down to a turbo.
But if you are happy whatever floats your boat.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:18 PM   #57
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

blah blah blah

it's not always about more power. the end.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:01 PM   #58
kazuo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
kazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpoopy
it's not always about more power. the end.
Actually, yes...

it is.

the end.
kazuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 04:25 PM   #59
JigokuZ
Leaky Injector

JigokuZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuo