Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
DBL_TKE

Trader Rating: (0)
DBL_TKE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB20DET issues

for the most part my engine runs pretty well. however, it will cut out from time to time. Feels like a complete loss of spark for about a second or two then picks back up again. Seems like this only happens when the engine is still cold. Every once in awhile the spark won't pick back up and it just dies. When this happens the engine will not crank as well.

Another is that the other day when the engine was still cold it would not let me give much throttle once it would build boost. It felt very similar to a rev limiter that retards timing, however if I backed back down to say a quarter throttle it would continue to climb through the upper RPM's. this also felt like a spark issue.

Lastly, the engine doesn't generally just fire right up, it kind of sputters to life. It may be possible that all three of these are related. I still need to research how spark and ignition are run on this engine.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
DBL_TKE

DBL_TKE is an unknown quantity at this point
Any advice would be appreciated
Old 10-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Con-city_s13

Con-city_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
This may not be much help, but I have a very similar issue with my rb20. Mine will generally idle well and starts well, but does exactly what you describe when under heavy throttle. What I think it's coming down to is a proper tune.

Here is a list of what I have replaced:
Fuel pump (walboro)
Fuel pressure regulator (AEM)
Fuel filter
In-bay fuel lines
MAF (knock-off J60)
Fixed vacuum leaks

Now I have heard the walboro fuel pumps are known to just go bad randomly, so I haven't ruled that out 100%. Also the Cheap MAF concerns me.

Like I said before, I may not be much help but I'm quite frustrated with this issue. Hopefully the both of us can figure it out.
Con-city_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote