Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
icemhan_21
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
icemhan_21 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
drilling hole for crank angle sensor

hi guys im going to do my 5 speed swap next week and i got some problems. my car is a 96 ob2 240sx and i got a 93 ob1 tranny because s14 trannys are hard to come by.. i want my 240 to not throw a cel coz i dont want my car to fail the inspection so i want to drill a hole on the s13 tranny that i bought. so could somebody that has an s14 manual tranny make a measurement on the spot where i need to drill a hole coz im not really sure on the exact spot or somebody could make me like a stencil so itll be more accurate and i could pay for your service and the shipping.

this is the s14 crank angle sensor hole:

and this where the crank angle sensor on the s13 supposed to be is:

and this is what the stencil should be like:

ill greatly appreciate you help.. . btw somebody told me that i could put a resistor to something to trick the ecu that i have the crank angle sensor but i cant find any info of it on here same thing with the wiring the check engine light to the abs light please let me know if you guys know how to do it.

Last edited by icemhan_21; 04-30-2008 at 11:27 PM..
icemhan_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
or you can just wire your check engine light to your oil pressure light, and learn to read ECU codes, or check for ECU codes regularly to make sure ure running OK.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
brewster240
Zilvia FREAK!

brewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to brewster240
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
or you can just wire your check engine light to your oil pressure light, and learn to read ECU codes, or check for ECU codes regularly to make sure ure running OK.

or you could learn to read, or know what you are talking about.

he wants his car to pass inspection. if the cell is lit up it doesnt matter if its wired to the left low beam bulb.

when the scanner gets hooked up its still gonna pull the code and fail.
brewster240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
icemhan_21
Zilvia Member

Quote:
ok doesnt it just gonna get rid of the cel light and the itll still show a code when you plug reader into the port? if not please tell me how to do it coz like i said i cant find any info of it on here.. ill appreciate it very much if you help me with it..

edit: nvr mind ^he answered it already
Old 04-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #5
yoni_nismo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (29)
yoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond reputeyoni_nismo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
This only works for cars 95 and older, they dont have to plug it in .. obd2 i wouldnt try it.

i did my 5spd swap last month on my 95 but i had a 96 trannny, best mod u can do on a auto... ive read somewhere u can drill it tho so your on the right trac..search for it. good luck.
yoni_nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
icemhan_21
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni_nismo View Post
This only works for cars 95 and older, they dont have to plug it in .. obd2 i wouldnt try it.

i did my 5spd swap last month on my 95 but i had a 96 trannny, best mod u can do on a auto... ive read somewhere u can drill it tho so your on the right trac..search for it. good luck.

yeah i just need find out the exact spot to drill
Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
Adikt
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Adikt has a spectacular aura aboutAdikt has a spectacular aura aboutAdikt has a spectacular aura aboutAdikt has a spectacular aura aboutAdikt has a spectacular aura aboutAdikt has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Adikt
it doesnt have to be that exact, just make sure it over the flywheel

"havin 1000 horses is like tryin to catch dinner with a rocket launcher"
Adikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
icemhan_21
Zilvia Member

anybody? please help
Old 05-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
Addicted2Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Addicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adikt View Post
it doesnt have to be that exact, just make sure it over the flywheel
hes right on this one.

it just has to be parallel with the flywheel so it can read off of it.

you can put the sensor of the side or bottom of the tranny even...
as long as it can read off the flywheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer View Post
zenki's are for poors and lames

with the exception of norm who is big ballin
FS:CUSCO,GREDDY,KA-Tparts
Addicted2Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #10
icemhan_21
Zilvia Member

any of you guys have an idea on whats the diameter of the hole that i need to drill?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemhan_21 View Post
any of you guys have an idea on whats the diameter of the hole that i need to drill?

Big enough till the sensor fit? Dont you already have the sensor on hand???

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
icemhan_21
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Big enough till the sensor fit? Dont you already have the sensor on hand???
i dont have the sensor with me its still on my car, so i have no idea what the diameter of the sensor is..
Old 05-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #13
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Honestly, go buy a new one. They break a lot...last thing you wanna do is swap your old one in after its gets crushed in the tunnel while trying to get your old tranny off.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
Pacman
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Pacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Kouki View Post
hes right on this one.

it just has to be parallel with the flywheel so it can read off of it.

you can put the sensor of the side or bottom of the tranny even...
as long as it can read off the flywheel.
Really? So if its parallel to the flywheel 18" away it'll be okay and read? Don't think so, buddy. The air gap has to be correct to get the right on/off signal of the digital waves (created by the flywhheel teeth flying past the sensors magnet). Its like an ABS sensor, too far away, won't get stong enough signal (thus not working properly), too close, signal will be sloppy (might not get true on/off waves).
I just checked my FSM ('96 model as well) and it gave me no dimensions. If you have any questions and need FSM info, hit me up.
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #15
icemhan_21
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
Really? So if its parallel to the flywheel 18" away it'll be okay and read? Don't think so, buddy. The air gap has to be correct to get the right on/off signal of the digital waves (created by the flywhheel teeth flying past the sensors magnet). Its like an ABS sensor, too far away, won't get stong enough signal (thus not working properly), too close, signal will be sloppy (might not get true on/off waves).
I just checked my FSM ('96 model as well) and it gave me no dimensions. If you have any questions and need FSM info, hit me up.

so your trying to say that the only place that i could drill is where the original spot on top of thebellhousing? thats where i want to drill a hole anyway so im just trying to find the diameter of the hole that i need to drill.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #16
Pacman
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Pacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes, use the OEM spot. That way no wires will be stretched or in harms way. I couldn't find anything about air gap. Get a set of calipers (the measuring tool, not brakes) and measure the outside diameter of the sensor at its thickest part wher it inserts to the tranny. Drill hole accordingly. What you need now is the location and I don't feel like removing my tranny to get the measurement, sorry bud.
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #17
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Just drill a hole in the right spot, put a washer around the sensor 'pole', and trim the one side so the mounting bolt goes through (washer is to compensate for the raised part on the obdII tranny), and tap the hole for the mount screw.

To easy. Not srue why you guys are turning this into more than it really should be.

I've done 4 or 5 now that way, not a single one has had an issue. Call it lucky, call it what you want, but my way works.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #18
icemhan_21
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Just drill a hole in the right spot, put a washer around the sensor 'pole', and trim the one side so the mounting bolt goes through (washer is to compensate for the raised part on the obdII tranny), and tap the hole for the mount screw.

To easy. Not srue why you guys are turning this into more than it really should be.

I've done 4 or 5 now that way, not a single one has had an issue. Call it lucky, call it what you want, but my way works.

thanks for the help man.. but should i put like 2 or three washers? and what do you mean tap the hole?
Old 05-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #19
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
i dunno, i just grab whatever washers I can out of the Wurth/Venmar bin at the shop. sorry for lack of actual numbers lol

tap as in, drill and tap the hole for that little 8mm bolt to screw into (like stock)

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #20
sebazztard
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
sebazztard is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
will it run without the cas hooked up? im doing this in a few weeks using an s13 tranny on my s14 and im kinda in the same position. if it still operates normal, ill just tear the bulb out of the cluster.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #21
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebazztard View Post
will it run without the cas hooked up? im doing this in a few weeks using an s13 tranny on my s14 and im kinda in the same position. if it still operates normal, ill just tear the bulb out of the cluster.
Argh, search man. The crank position sensor's only job is to monitor misfire. You do not need it to run/operate the car, the only drawback will be a CEL. I've tossed dozens of them.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:16 AM   #22
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fugg it use a template from ur previous tranny.. the old paper and pencil method... drill and tap.... done deall go to bed.