Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
oscvr

Trader Rating: (0)
oscvr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sr20 sputtering no power!!!!

just finished my swap took it out for a test drive. car starts up everytime but when its cold i have to give it gas.

when im driving it on the road the car has no power under 3K RPM and sputters and is hesitant you can also here

a popping noise from the intake even at idle. when the turbo starts to spool i feel a little bit more power but starts to bog at 4.5k rpm and is kinda hard to get it past that. checked to see if all cylinders are getting spark by disconnecting the coil packs one at a time and they all seem to be working fine as far as that i dont know what else to check to diagnose the problem.

current conditions of the motor that i currently know of

-i have an exhaust leak where the cat and exhaust meet i used a paper gasket i will be switching it to

a metal gasket today.

-water pump has a really small leak.

i will be picking one up for $5 today worth a try i guess for the money and i dont have to wait for one to come in

-my wastegate isnt hooked up to any vacuum source (dont know where to plug it into)

things that i think are wrong

- timing could be off?

-boost leak? which i checked for but couldnt find anything

-another exhaust leak

-restricted by my stock exhaust. i have a 3 inch down pipe and test pipe connected to the stock exhaust which was just for test driving the car

i would greatly appreciate your input

thanks in advance
oscvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Jeez did you even do anything to prep the engine before you tossed it in? Plugs, double checked mechanical timing then set the base/CAS timing? Sounds like you still have alot to do before you even attempt to drive this car on the street.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
oscvr

Trader Rating: (0)
oscvr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Jeez did you even do anything to prep the engine before you tossed it in? Plugs, double checked mechanical timing then set the base/CAS timing? Sounds like you still have alot to do before you even attempt to drive this car on the street.
i bought the motor set from a person who had it in his car he said it was runing great he was selling to do a v8 swap so i figuered i would be able to just drop it in also this is my first swap and i only went off online swap guides
oscvr is offline   Reply With Quote