Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-29-2004, 06:01 PM   #1
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
2005 240SX National convention location discussion

A brief recap...

2001, UNN meet in Kansas City, MO.
2002, changed name to 240SX National Convention (2nd annual), Los Angeles, CA.
2003, 3rd annual in Atlanta, GA.
2004, 4th annual in Las Vegas, NV.

Now, not taking into account the success/failure at each event, realistically I want to know two questions:

1) Where do you want to see it happen, and why? (Please don't name a place near to you just because "it is convenient", but rather give pros and cons such as accomidations, entertainment, venue, etc)

2) Who do you recommend personally that has the commitment and the drive to plan such an event, from start to finish?

If I could get everyone's feedback and approval, I would like to help appoint the person(s) in charge of such an event. If you have any other better ideas please feel free to voice your opinions. No flames or unnecessary comments please.

Oh, and normally it is up to the current convention planner to help select who handles the subsequent year's event, but since this year flopped without a resolution I have taken the liberty of helping find next year's location. And this will only be posted on national forums, no regional forums to remove any regional bias.

And in case you are wondering why I have the right to want to help with this... or feel the need, I planned the 2002 event:
http://www.socal240sx.org/convention2002

Fire away fellows.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2004, 06:11 PM   #2
240Driver39
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
240Driver39 is making a name for him/her self240Driver39 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240Driver39
well, honestly i think "2" conventions are in order, cause really, i want one on the east coast, but, i know there is a large potion of the community in california/west. I remember from the thread on FA, that florida was being discussed, and i think that would be a good possible location, or possibly more a bit more north. And i think the Date is also a important item. Possibly a little earlier in the summer then the last 2 conventions would be more convienent for more people id think.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:11 PM   #3
holisticbeatz
Zilvia Addict

holisticbeatz is a well-known jackass
1) The Los Angeles Convention Center is a technologically advanced, sophisticated and user-friendly facility designed with:

770,000 square feet of exhibit space
54 meeting rooms
299 seat theater
On-site parking for 5600 cars

The Los Angeles Convention Center is convenient to major points throughout the City with the STAPLES Center located adjacent to the LACC and the downtown hotel community, Financial District and the Civic Center. It's strategically positioned at the hub of major freeways, LA DASH Transit System, Metrolink trains, and Metro Rail & Bus systems. The only problem I see with this venue is that it's not very close to LAX.

2) Why don't you do it Alex. You're a responsible guy and blah. I nominate you!

-Kenny
Old 09-29-2004, 06:18 PM   #4
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
'04 had SO much potential too.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:46 PM   #5
mrmephistopheles

1.) LA. Has everything - entertainment, lodging, gathering places, moderate distance to track facilities.

2.) Sorry buddy. You know who. Can't think of anyone else who'd put more effort into it.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:57 PM   #6
nismo2491
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
nismo2491 is making a name for him/her selfnismo2491 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
uhh. washington DC. yes its close to me, but at the same time it'd give people a chance to see this nations capital which would be a great trip in and of itself. its about 30-45 minutes from baltimore, which also has a lot of great sites to see. there's fed-ex field that a lot of times will rent out lots so you can do whatever you want there (ie drift, etc), there's 2 1/4 mile tracks within 30 minutes of the city (Maryland International Raceway and Capital Raceway), there's summit point which has several different road courses including a drift track, there's all kinds of stuff here.
as far as nominations, I don't really have any, I'd nominate myself but with USMC not sure where I'll be this time next year.
KEvin
nismo2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:10 PM   #7
mrmephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Driver39
well, honestly i think "2" conventions are in order, cause really
So you think splitting the group that will attend a convention would be a good thing?
I don't.
1.) You'll be reducing the buying power and effect of the convention as a whole. A track event will be MUCH harder to pull off, and paying for venues that won't nearly be filled because half of your people are on the other side of the country is a waste of money (and will likely force the convention to be more expensive).
2.) Conventions are about pulling people together from EVERYWHERE, not about seperating them geographically. By saying that 2 conventions is a good thing, you're saying it's ok to have a seperatist community.
3.) Sure, it'll be more expensive and less practical for enthusiasts on one coast to bring their cars. That's the idea behind a rotating convention. If it stays in the same spot every year, most people will get screwed.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Unfortunately, we're getting screwed anyway. The number of people seriously interested in these events has declined dramatically.

The newer 240 owners don't have the money to attend a convention, nor do they care. They'd rather drift the mall parking lot after school, then go street race later that night before their parents bust them.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:06 PM   #9
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
how about a nice central location like say... Texas?
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:09 PM   #10
mrmephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakotoS13
how about a nice central location like say... Texas?
FUCK Texas.
I've driven across that state four times.
FUCK Texas.

San Antonio wouldn't be a terrible place for it.

Also, FUCK El Paso. Just because afternoon traffic sucks there.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:22 PM   #11
240Stilo
Junkie

240Stilo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 240Stilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles
FUCK Texas.
Also, FUCK El Paso. Just because afternoon traffic sucks there.
And LA has no traffic?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:27 PM   #12
mrmephistopheles

LA has worse traffic.
I'm just saying fuck El Paso in general, not in relation to the Convention.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:30 PM   #13
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Florida, Texas, Virginia. Those are my suggestions for a place. I kept it generic on purpose.

As VA goes, I think Richmond is a better choice than the DC area. It's just more accessible for the southeast crowd, and VIR (2 hours south or so) is way nicer than Slummit Point. It's also a cheaper city.

DC is more fun as a city in itself, but for convention purposes I just think Richmond works better.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:34 PM   #14
papershot
Zilvia Junkie

papershot is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to papershot Send a message via MSN to papershot
texas would be nice.
papershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:42 PM   #15
240Stilo
Junkie

Speaking of the LA convention center... The schedule for events there is pretty packed. May has the most availability, but you can still squeeze a three day event within other months. Texas sounds alright. Nobody has put in any pros to it other than it's in the middle, which is a good point but not enough on it's own.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:43 PM   #16
s14slider

s14slider is an unknown quantity at this point
I vote for Virginia! And no, I do not live there.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:47 PM   #17
ICKY
Account Closed

ICKY is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ICKY
I would have to agree with the Richmond area. Even though i live in VA, i think its more convenient for everyone since its somewhat in the middle of the east coast. So that way people from N.Y. and what not don't have to take such a long drive, visa versa for the southern states. And i have to agree, Richmond is a much nicer place and has less traffic than D.C.
ICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:55 PM   #18
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
atlanta is a good place to be at again. im strongly opposed to LA, its to biased to one coast;tucked down there in the south west. i actually think texas would be rather nice, it could be done in winter as well and a bunch of the people could escape from their winter hells. austin texas=bond. i just feel it should attempt to be as central as possible and not a major metropolis such as LA.
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:05 PM   #19
justinhustle
Nissanaholic!

justinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enough
i say chicagoish area
justinhustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:12 PM   #20
240Stilo
Junkie

This is going nowhere if everyone keeps saying..."it's closer."
Old 09-29-2004, 09:17 PM   #21
mike13
Zilvia Addict

mike13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mike13
im from Pittsburgh PA and I would definately attend if it was in the VA area. Texas- i would love to go there but its a bit unrealistic.
mike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:29 PM   #22
kazuo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
kazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm biased (obviously) but I'm going to have to vote for NORCAL.

It obviously can't be FRISCO, cus we ain't car-friendly and there is NO FUCKING PLACE we could accomodate that many cars... so I am going to suggest San Jose or Sacramento (Sacramento becaue of its proximity to several track venues.)

As far as who could organize it up here, you got me chum... I'd make the attempt IF I get commited people to help.

Otherwise, the obvious vote is SoCal. 2K2 one was coo, and the only one of the recent three that actually occured. Why I like SoCal as a venue should also be logical - proximity to vendors/manufacturers, lots of enthusiasts, proximity to tracks, etc etc etc

Same reasons I vote for NorCal, but unfortunately Frisco sucks for cars and the best locations otherwise, IMHO would be San Jose or Sacto (both a little over an hour north or south from Frisco, depending on how you drive).

In Conclusion, NORCAL or SOCAL, and obviously for SOCAL I nominate changbang & co. to organize.

Thank you
kazuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:22 PM   #23
240Driver39
Zilvia FREAK!

240Driver39 is making a name for him/her self240Driver39 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to 240Driver39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles
So you think splitting the group that will attend a convention would be a good thing?
I don't.
1.) You'll be reducing the buying power and effect of the convention as a whole. A track event will be MUCH harder to pull off, and paying for venues that won't nearly be filled because half of your people are on the other side of the country is a waste of money (and will likely force the convention to be more expensive).
Think about this one...honestly, how many people are actually coming from one coast to another for a convention...Russ's posts right below urs said it. 240 owners are cheap, so honestly i would just like to see as many people out as possible. And i just think that would be the way to do it. Sure half the owners are retards anymore, but coming to an event may set them straight. Some of us just cant manage cross country trips, but are very interested in attending an event, i guess im "cheap", but thats just how it is, i wouldnt mind driving a considerable distance to an event, but a day of driving is just unreasonable...for me, just my opinion.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:32 PM   #24
West
OMNOMNOMNOM

West has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to West
Chi-Town would be my vote.

But honestly I think there will be the same few people who talk shit about the convention and stop just enough people from signing up in order to have the event.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:34 PM   #25
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
why don't we find out were all the people would attend live? Like a poll?
Old 09-29-2004, 10:44 PM   #26
publicenemy137
Zilvia Junkie

publicenemy137 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to publicenemy137
I say Northern VA, plenty of drift tracks, parking, and nation's capitol has plenty to do. I don't think Richmond is a good area, it's kinda ghetto

CLICK HERE TO SEE MY CARDOMAIN!

help me decide my next set of rims
publicenemy137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:57 PM   #27
nismo2491
Zilvia FREAK!

nismo2491 is making a name for him/her selfnismo2491 is making a name for him/her self
hahaha one of my minions from www.midatlantic240sx.com votes with me. hahaha I have pull, bangin!!!

j/k andrew.....

anyways I'm game for wherever. If I can get military leave I'll just catch a hop out to wherever its at and either rent a car or most likely just bum rides from fellow 240 owners and then catch a taxi back to the airport. I would like to see it in dc/richmond area though. also pittsburgh has a decent track with beaverun. and I'm sure there's tracks more centered, like kansas city area and such. what about indiannapolis? where's that at. I kow its indianna but I can't rememebr where indianna is.
KEvin
KEvin
nismo2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:00 PM   #28
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
i vote for southern california.

i know it is local to me, so i'm biased by that already

but the most part. most everybody in the "industry" is located here. i figure you could easily get the most support in socal and we have various places in which to hold events.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:16 PM   #29
BadMoJo
Nissanaholic!

BadMoJo has a spectacular aura aboutBadMoJo has a spectacular aura aboutBadMoJo has a spectacular aura aboutBadMoJo has a spectacular aura aboutBadMoJo has a spectacular aura aboutBadMoJo has a spectacular aura aboutBadMoJo has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to BadMoJo
Colorado.............

----Gone----
BadMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:31 AM   #30
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeST
Chi-Town would be my vote.

But honestly I think there will be the same few people who talk shit about the convention and stop just enough people from signing up in order to have the event.
I wouldnt mind Chi-Town but I am biased, the only good thing about Chicago though that works convention wise would be Route 66. Huge lot that can be split into an autocross course, and drift course. RS*R just happened and there were 2 courses
This
http://www.dzmedia.com/dmitry/Photog...trackright.jpg

And on the left hand side there was another course that was smaller but there was probably double the space plus pit area for over 30 drivers and vendors and the pro Drivers. Then there is the drag strip thats just behind the stands from which the picture is being taken. Also on the other side of the drag strip there a big lot (not as smooth) but good enough for a car show type thing with lots of parking.

But then again Convention has usually been a track event in which Chicago wouldnt be the greatest of choices.

Cali always wins for best and most 240s...