Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > Europe

Europe A place for our cousins from across the pond

Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
fredo818
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
fredo818 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need someone from the UK to help me!!!

Watup zilvia!! I'm in the U.S Air Force and I Am getting stationed in RAF lakenheath U.K for 3 years. I am really excited about it. I have a 97 s14 here in the states and The Air Force will ship it for free but I will have to pay to get it street legal for the UK. I'm wondering if anyone knew everything I will have to do to get a usdm s14 ready to drive in the UK and approximate price? Or am I better off storing my car and picking up another 240 there?
fredo818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
59bhp
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
59bhp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
here ya go bud, have a read of this

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicle...he-uk/overview

59bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
fredo818
Leaky Injector

Thank you. There's a lot of terminology thrown that I don't understand. But it seems like I can just title it register it andget it inspected and pay road tax. that seems to simple or maybe im overthinking. But I don't see what things ill have to change, I've heard of a light conversion but that's it.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
59bhp
Zilvia Junkie

yeah those changes will come up in the MOT (a yearly safety inspection)

bar the lights pointing the wrong way i dont think there is anything that will flag up.
Its probably worth registering on the sxoc and asking on there, my brain isnt working today :S and there are some MOT testers who are members on there.

Its pretty straightforward importing a car to the uk (in comparison to other places)

you will need insurance aswell (before you can tax it) and you need your registration plates to insure it, which you will be able to get ones its registered

what terminology are you struggling with?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
fredo818
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59bhp View Post
yeah those changes will come up in the MOT (a yearly safety inspection)

bar the lights pointing the wrong way i dont think there is anything that will flag up.
Its probably worth registering on the sxoc and asking on there, my brain isnt working today :S and there are some MOT testers who are members on there.

Its pretty straightforward importing a car to the uk (in comparison to other places)

you will need insurance aswell (before you can tax it) and you need your registration plates to insure it, which you will be able to get ones its registered

what terminology are you struggling with?
I never got notified of your reply man, Thank you for your help I was able to get it figured out mainly with your link. I really appreciate it. Hows the market for the kA engine out there? I had plans to build and boost ine since it has been very well taken care of but is there a market for it?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Rico180

Trader Rating: (0)
Rico180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm not from the uk, but instead from Ireland . There is no market atoll for the ka engine. It's all sr2.0 or ca1.8..

Last edited by Rico180; 08-05-2013 at 09:28 AM..
Rico180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
59bhp
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredo818 View Post
I never got notified of your reply man, Thank you for your help I was able to get it figured out mainly with your link. I really appreciate it. Hows the market for the kA engine out there? I had plans to build and boost ine since it has been very well taken care of but is there a market for it?
nah like rico said the ka engine wasnt never sold over here (in anything) but there are plenty of sr's about if you wanna buy one, complete nice engines with all ancilliaries tend to go for about 800 gbp (1200 usd) but they can be had for about 500 gbp (750usd) and as little as 200 gbp (300usd) for one in need of a rebuild. I managed to get one once for 50gbp (75usd) that had blocked spray bars and just needed a good de-gunk

course you could get your skyline fix whilst your over here? decent r32 and r33gtr tends to be about 12000USD (about 8000gbp) but you can get gtst's for about 3-4000 gpb (6000 usd)

Used Cars for sale with PistonHeads

thats the site most people use for buying cars in the uk (although we do have autotrader, gumtree and craigslist aswell)
Old 09-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
fredo818
Leaky Injector

What websites do you guys use to buy and sell parts? Any popular local ones?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
fredo818
Leaky Injector

59bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59bhp View Post
nah like rico said the ka engine wasnt never sold over here (in anything) but there are plenty of sr's about if you wanna buy one, complete nice engines with all ancilliaries tend to go for about 800 gbp (1200 usd) but they can be had for about 500 gbp (750usd) and as little as 200 gbp (300usd) for one in need of a rebuild. I managed to get one once for 50gbp (75usd) that had blocked spray bars and just needed a good de-gunk

course you could get your skyline fix whilst your over here? decent r32 and r33gtr tends to be about 12000USD (about 8000gbp) but you can get gtst's for about 3-4000 gpb (6000 usd)

Used Cars for sale with PistonHeads

thats the site most people use for buying cars in the uk (although we do have autotrader, gumtree and craigslist aswell)

Great prices might end up swapping over
Old 09-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
Rico180

Rico180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Driftworks , Driftireland . Two of the most popular .
Rico180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #11
LED Sandwich

LED Sandwich is an unknown quantity at this point
SXOC.com is probably the most popular 200sx based forum in the uk, for drifiting in all marques driftworks is popular. Where in the uk are you goign to be based then mate?

As for putting an SR in if your over here its almost a no brainer compared to the costs in the states. when is it being shipped over?
Aaron
LED Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #12
LED Sandwich

LED Sandwich is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh also if you intend to turbo your ka then i would bring the difficult parts over with you, like the manifold etc as the ka was never sold over here you will struggle to import them. There are plenty of good mappers etc but id imagine to get any ka specific parts you would be importing from the us anyhow.
LED Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
jonny mac
Leaky Injector

jonny mac is an unknown quantity at this point
i'd get yourself onto the www.sxoc.com forum and get browsing there!

you can pickup a full sr20 swap for cheap and will be ALOT easier to get parts for if needed

nobody has a KA engine in the uk since none of the cars were sold with them,

the other thing you'll have to consider is the UK is very harsh on cars with the state of the roads/rust issues

i'd strongly advise you get your Nissan aggressively undersealed so it's fully protected as what may arrive a clean shell could leave a rusty rot box haha
jonny mac is offline   Reply With Quote