Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
FWD sr20DE into RWD platform?

I can pick up a fwd sr20de longblock for VERY cheap and have some interest in putting it into my s-13. I would source a set of GTI-R ITB's and probably have to have an ecu tuned for my set-up.

My questions are:
1-What would I have to do to get the plumbing to work with the s-13 platform?

The water outlet is significantly different on the intake side of the engine and I was wondering if anyone knows of any easily sourced solutions for this problem or will I have to go custom? Heater hoses are no concern as my car cannot even have the stock heater re-installed as all the brackets have been removed.

Also the oil filter base is significantly different. I really didn't have time to look and see if it was just something I could remove and screw on an adapter for a remote mounted oil filter and a cooler.

2-Are the engine mount locations in the same place on the FWD block as the RWD block?

3-What wiring harness and ECU would be the best to use for this application and how available are they?

Obviously I would have to source a SR tranny and starter. The good news is that the engine is a M/T engine and the flywheel is still there. Headers would obviously have to either be custom or sourced from japan. I am definitely not the biggest SR fan, but I can get the longblock for soooo cheap that it is very tempting. Also it would remove a significant amount of weight from the front of the car. I HAVE actually driven a N/A SR powered s-13 and I liked the smooth revving nature of the engine.

Anybody that has any experience with this matter please chime in. I am looking for opinions as well as facts as I am not sure at all that it is worth pursuing this.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
KwKouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
KwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KwKouki
give mazworks a call, they have a FWD Sr in their new drag car
Old 08-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwKouki View Post
give mazworks a call, they have a FWD Sr in their new drag car
+rep for super helpful response! I'll hit them up for sure if I decide to really get serious. As of right now this is kind of a testing waters thing.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
KwKouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
KwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfectionKwKouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KwKouki
they are serious business, check the build out when you get a chance
Old 09-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Wookie384
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Wookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wookie384
If not your car, I know another car that could benefit from this FWD SR20. You down Aron?!? HA HA
Wookie384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
As far as I know, Mazworx is running a FWD head on a RWD block, not a whole FWD engine.

From what I've gathered the following is true:

1. The mount points are different - I don't believe you can use RWD mounts on the FWD block.
2. The tranny will not bolt up.
3. The intake manifold points the wrong way - towards the firewall. This might be dealt with by using the ITBs you mentioned, but you'd have to cut the plenum off and weld it in the other direction.
4. The distributor would be right against the firewall. Mazworx (I think) is using a VE head, and are probably running some kind of CAS instead of the dist. The CAS would be smaller.

As far as ECU, the B13 SE-R or S13 KA ecu should work, as the FWD engine is a standard distributor-based ignition system. S13 SR20DET ECU won't work right because of the coilpacks.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Cloud9
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Cloud9 is making a name for him/her selfCloud9 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Are there any benefits to having a fwd sr over a rwd one? besides the price in your case obviously, you can get a rwd sr20de quite cheap these days. GL tho and keep us posted!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
GTI-R ITB's do not bolt up to a Non-GTI-R SR head,
Modification is required not just the the upper plenum
The ports are spaced differently.

I tried it on my SR.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9 View Post
Are there any benefits to having a fwd sr over a rwd one? besides the price in your case obviously, you can get a rwd sr20de quite cheap these days. GL tho and keep us posted!
-Price
-Availability
-Higher compression (9.5:1) generates slightly faster spool, at the cost of slightly lower peak boost level

I believe the N/A RWD SR has the same compression though. I honestly think that's the way to go; there are too many hoops to jump through to make the FWD work in the RWD chassis.