Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
s13Llama

Trader Rating: (0)
s13Llama is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13Llama
S13 Q45 Altima Rotor swap update

Hey guys, I finally got around to my Q45 front brake swap. I opted to use 94 Altima rotors so I wouldn't have to drill for 5 lug. It took me about 1 hour and 40 minutes to finish, even with a minor delay. The only modification I had to do to my car was to cut away the splash guard for my old rotors. Q45 calipers clear stock teardrops and SE wheels by about 1/4 to 1/2 and inch Running them with Axis pads.

Price breakdown: (may differ by location)

Pair of used Q45 calipers off a '95 I believe. seals were good. $50
Pair of new '94 Alitma rotors (you can use '94-'00 is what I was told) $47
Axxis pads, high performance model, about $70 shipped
40% more stopping power, and hearing the fronts lock up before the rears: Priceless...
Old 08-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
los_inc
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
los_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to los_inc
pix or it didn't happen
-los
Old 08-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
haha ^^^agreed pics or it didn't happen =]
Old 08-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
MikeisNissan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
MikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MikeisNissan
i did it.. i can show you pics. Im using asbestos for now. brb Oh and I have brembos slotte rotors and my caliper is blaack.

因果関係の流れ
MikeisNissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Trader Rating: (36)
wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wangan_cruiser
yea show some pics. basically itll turn out into a good write up if you posted pics. step by step
wangan_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
MikeisNissan
Post Whore!

MikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfectionMikeisNissan is close to perfection

^Mines, peak performance extended studs, goodridge ss lines, stock rear w/ studs & ss lines. Oh and on a 97' S14

因果関係の流れ
Old 08-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
altalti
Zilvia Junkie

altalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura about
I am 100% sure this has been answered numerous times but. You use the your stock brake hoses with this swap? Also did you need to buy the q45 hardware kit? Lastly are you sure model year 1995 calipers will work. Sorry for the thread jacking but you seem to know the answers since you have experience.
altalti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
I advise against doing this crap the Altima rotors are only 22mm thick, the Q45 calipers calls for 28mm thick rotor, just drill the Q45 rotors to 4 lug if you have to.
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
MikeisNissan
Post Whore!

But mine fits perfect, and stops on a dime.

因果関係の流れ
Old 08-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
MikeisNissan
Post Whore!

Actually this guy is talking about the Altima, I am using Sentra Spec-V rotors.. my badd.

因果関係の流れ
Old 08-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeisNissan View Post
Actually this guy is talking about the Altima, I am using Sentra Spec-V rotors.. my badd.

Q45
280 mm x 28 mm
(11.02 in x 1.10 in)

Even Spec-V rotors wont work, and the B15 Base is still coming up short 4mm:

B15 Spec-V
320 mm × 28.0 mm
(12.60 in × 1.102 in)

B15 SE-R
296 mm × 26.0 mm
(11.65 in × 1.024 in)

B15 Sentra Base Model
280 mm × 24.0 mm
(11.02 in × 0.945 in)
Old 08-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
s13Llama

Trader Rating: (0)
s13Llama is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13Llama
Sorry for the lack of pics, can't really show pics of the process now, but I can show some finished pics. I will see what I can do.
Altalti, I did use all the stock brake lines, works like a charm, but for the price, I would seriously reccomend steel braided lines.
I did a bit of research, and the Altima rotors are thinner. It is a preference choice. I would prefer to replace rotors a month or so sooner, than to have to drill Q45's. This is coming from a dude with a shop and a drill press too... I am just a lazy 240 slob lol. ohh yea, and about $22 bucks a piece for Altima rotors, can't beat that deal.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Ok you guys... here is my buddies write up on his site. He does crazy documentation of his builds.
Mestiso's Q45 brake write up

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #14
MikeisNissan
Post Whore!

Yeah? Hmm I dunno but I do know that it fits nice and snug and it works!

因果関係の流れ
Old 08-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #15
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeisNissan View Post
Yeah? Hmm I dunno but I do know that it fits nice and snug and it works!
Even 20mm will work and stop 10x better than stock just on the sheer brake torque you are gaining by having a 11" rotor but it still doesn't make it correct, but it doesn;t amaze me though, rock on dude, happy braking.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #16
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Agreed. Keep an eye on pad wear, you'd hate to get them thin enough to fall out of the caliper. You'd be surprised how often that happens with narrower rotors.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #17
ranger2339
Zilvia Junkie

ranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ranger2339
Ok oldish thread, but I am about to get some rotors for my Q45s, what rotors do people get, that are the "correct" size?

Josh
ranger2339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #18
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger2339 View Post
Ok oldish thread, but I am about to get some rotors for my Q45s, what rotors do people get, that are the "correct" size?

Josh
Q45 rotors are the only rotors that are the correct size, if you need them in 4 lug you have to redrill them.