Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #91
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Quote:
Originally Posted by datsunnazi View Post
go home! you're retarded! they are talking about the clutch type rear differential. not the clutch or the automatic clutch packs... learn please!
LOL! Really? sorry infliction and tone was illegible to you.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #92
rightcoastimports
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
rightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
About to do this to my VLSD.. Factory shims can vary from diff to diff.. but im just curious what shim (thickness) you guys ended up using? .80 enough?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #93
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
MrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrFairlady
I Kinda wanna try this as well.My VLSD Sucks ass.

what I'd like to know is I would Love to Get the OEM 4.6 Final Drive Gear set to drop in as well.
will it go into a J30 diff? Its a R200 so I would Think it should right?
Old 03-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #94
krayzbigmac
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (34)
krayzbigmac has a brilliant futurekrayzbigmac has a brilliant futurekrayzbigmac has a brilliant futurekrayzbigmac has a brilliant futurekrayzbigmac has a brilliant futurekrayzbigmac has a brilliant futurekrayzbigmac has a brilliant futurekrayzbigmac has a brilliant futurekrayzbigmac has a brilliant futurekrayzbigmac has a brilliant futurekrayzbigmac has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krayzbigmac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightcoastimports View Post
About to do this to my VLSD.. Factory shims can vary from diff to diff.. but im just curious what shim (thickness) you guys ended up using? .80 enough?
I went .80 on my z32 diff that I had in my s13, I stacked it on top of the original shim. Was nice as daily and locked pretty nice at the track. All depends on how much the original shim is worn.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #95
HyperVerbal
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
HyperVerbal is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
huh... you'd think by now someone would have replied "REMOVE your old shims on both side (14&17 of diagram) replace them both with (blank) & (blank) for 2 way or (blank) & (blank) for 1.5.
HyperVerbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #96
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperVerbal View Post
huh... you'd think by now someone would have replied "REMOVE your old shims on both side (14&17 of diagram) replace them both with (blank) & (blank) for 2 way or (blank) & (blank) for 1.5.
This is not really possible, because most diffs are setup differently. Depending on wear, setup, original shim sizes (to account for the difference in original gear sets), crush sleeve settings, etc..

You just have to open yours up, measure and adjust accordingly, if it's still not where you want it, redo it with a bigger shim...

This is nothing new here folks, it's just Diff 101
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #97
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
S12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
How is this comparable to a 1.5 way? I want something to track not drift with.

Has anyone tracked their Shimmed VLSD's how did it feel around some twistys? I'm about to do this on my Z31 because my diff blew apart but I'm a bit hesitate because i dont want the diff to be locked all the time like a welded diff (whats the point minus well just buy another open diff and weld it)
S12 Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #98
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
S12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'm not "shimming" it per say but I'm adding a new shim.

old shim/washer was 1.35 factory, new one is going to be 1.49, just for the record I'm not stacking them the 1.49 is replacing the 1.35mm

I'll let you know how it feels.
S12 Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #99
My$800S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
My$800S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i messed up, i cant figure out which side the longer axel goes into? is it the side were the ring gear bolts to the pumpkin? or the other side? and the long axel is stuck on the opposite side of were the ring gear is.

Last edited by My$800S14; 06-24-2011 at 05:25 PM..
My$800S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:31 AM   #100
jigga1boy

jigga1boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Crap wish i remembered. Maybe the manual has a diagram of which ones go where
jigga1boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #101
Bubba
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Bubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My diff sucks ass. Thank god I found this write-up.
Adding a shim while the car is down but I'm just going with the small one as well since welded diffs fall out the sky around here. Rather have the 1.5 way feel than anything else.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #102
dontxploitme
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (27)
dontxploitme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
where is everyone getting their shims? i looked at a bunch of nissan parts websites but they all want like $10 for shipping which is retarded for something that small and that light.
dontxploitme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #103
Bubba
Zilvia Junkie

Bubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-known
Taking mine from another diff actually. If that doesn't do it I'll order one from the local stealership.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:01 AM   #104
WhiteZenki23
Leaky Injector

WhiteZenki23 is an unknown quantity at this point
S12 drifter any updates ??
WhiteZenki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #105
Bubba
Zilvia Junkie

Tip for those that think the center section had to be forced out...
Put your fingers through the output shaft holes and press up on the center section. Lifts right out with little to no effort. Just shimmed 2 J30 units this evening. After it is out of the car it takes about 10-15 minutes at most to disassemble and reassemble.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #106
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
I want to do this. I think I'm just going to measure mine then go from there to see if I want to double, or just replace with a bigger one
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #107
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
sweet !!! i know this isnt in any way a complete replacement for 2 way.. but from what ive been reading..this seems to be a good way to get the vlsd to lockup consistently lol !!!!
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #108
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
I want it to lock up like a 1.5 rotifer not a two way or welded. I'm still iffy on what size
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #109
holslut s13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (10)
holslut s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I mic'd both shims on my j30 vlsd, and one came in at .80mm(stock from what ive heard) and the other is 1.22mm. Instead of buying another .80mm and stacking, I bought 2 larger shims that were equal to the total thickness of the 1.22+.80+.80. Ill let you know how it works out guys.

Last edited by holslut s13; 12-29-2011 at 06:49 PM..
holslut s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #110
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't think about shimming as 1 shim is 1.5 way and 2 shims is 2 way!!!! There are like 20 different shim sizes and the smallest one is .80mm and the largest is 1.49, read the fsm for the exact sizes.

DO NOT JUST ADD 2 SHIMS!!! that is not the right way to do it. Take apart your diff and measure what you have and then decide how much you want to increase by.

I just tried to put 2 shims in (both were .80mm) and the diff would not go back together in the pumpkin, so 1.60mm of shimming is too much!!! and that is 2 shims of the smallest size. I ended up just using the one .80mm shim and it barely fit back in the pumpkin, i couldn't imagine going more then .20mm more.

I am about to install it and will let you know how it feels.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #111
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
I thought the viscous diffs just had viscous fluid engaging the plates inside the housing, thus transferring torque between the 2 wheels?

If so, there shouldn't be spider gears turning and being meshed and destroyed, no?
From nrr:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsilver View Post
OK, I'm ready to stir the pot

Here's the diagram for the VLSD diff on page PD12;
http://www.240edge.com/manuals/91-94_240sx/pd.pdf

The VLSD does still have spider gears. The viscous coupling forms one side of the spider gear. One axle stub is fixed to the outer case of the VLSD coupling and the other stub is fixed to the inner case of the VLSD coupling. The "SHIM" selection guide is on page PD25 and gives a range of backlash, not pre-load. If you pre-load the spider gears, any change in LSD action you get is from grinding the spider gears against each other, not any change in the function of the VLSD coupling.

The VLSD coupling is filled from the factory with a viscous fluid. The function has already been explained. I have actually, really, for sure, experimented with one of these! When the units are filled from the factory, they drill two counter-bored holes to fill it, then they insert ball-bearings into the counter-bores and stake them in place. I removed the balls and tapped the two holes. I then flushed the old fluid out and replaced it with newer, thicker fluid. The VLSD was installed into a Z31 300zx running about 400WHP! It would work much better than a stock VLSD until it got hot. When it got hot it would lock solid and act like a spool. I did some research on this phenomena and the general theory is that when the interposing discs get hot enough, they expand, distort, and bind against each other. Our conclusion was that we couldn't make the VLSD any more effective.

Ultimately, if you're using a VLSD/HLSD/open diff, you need articulation/droop in the rear suspension and roll-stiffness in the front suspension, to keep the rear tires on the ground. If you're running a clutch/spool diff you can ignore this to some extent and drive on one wheel, at least until your power output overloads your outside rear wheel. Then you're back to the same place My buddy with the Z31 went around the world with LSD's, but came back to his shocks/swaybars/camber/toe/tire pressure settings to maximize corner exit.

This really helped my understanding of the vlsd

Last edited by Black R; 01-04-2012 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Typo
Black R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #112
Hashiriya415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Hashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontxploitme View Post
where is everyone getting their shims? i looked at a bunch of nissan parts websites but they all want like $10 for shipping which is retarded for something that small and that light.
I'm searching too. Unbelievable $10 and up for shipping. If I knew the size I would make my own right now. Maybe I even have a close enough washer in my garage somewhere.
Hashiriya415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #113
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys aren't anywhere near a Nissan dealership are you? they didn't charge me shipping when i bought mine.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #114
holslut s13
Zilvia Member

@ Bc, how did your vlsd lock up with the .80 shim?

And Nissan sells these ppl! Go to your local dealership, no charge for shipping...
Old 06-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #115
apexis13sx
Zilvia Member

apexis13sx is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd like to see this done on a 350z diff

Inputs? ???
Old 06-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #116
KoolAidMan687
Zilvia Member

KoolAidMan687 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey guys does anyone know what size washers come in the r200 stock, i put what im pretty sure is the .8mm in a while back and now im trying to take it out because it was to harsh for my daily driving, there seems to be two .8mm's and one larger one
Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #117
holslut s13
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAidMan687 View Post
hey guys does anyone know what size washers come in the r200 stock, i put what im pretty sure is the .8mm in a while back and now im trying to take it out because it was to harsh for my daily driving, there seems to be two .8mm's and one larger one
From what has been said here, it will vary alittle bit from diff to diff, but from my stock vlsd(if you take a moment and read my previous post) I measured both of my stock washers.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #118
holslut s13
Zilvia Member

In my diff I have a preload total of 2x1.25mm washers totaling 2.5mm and my diff is completely locked. My wheels do not spin independently under any circumstances. I just started to run a new wheel/tire setup that has more traction, and maybe I can regain some free wheeling once the bigger washers "break in" as some users say.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #119
240SilviaX
Leaky Injector

240SilviaX is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by let5l1de View Post

EDIT: this ring gear is from a 240sx 49:12. j30 come with 47:12
I see that you used the 240sx 49:12 ring gear on the vlsd. I still have a KA and want to go up to Big Bear (7000ft) so I want more torque going up the mountain.. I got a J30 diff from the yard and want to take the vlsd add a shim and swap the ring gears and install it into my 240sx carrier. Do to the the J30 47:12 ring gear being fatter the vlsd would be shimmed (bearing and race shims) over like the open (240sx skinny ring gear) diff. My question is once the diff is installed will the axle output shafts line up with the snap rings in the vlsd? or would they be not lined up due to the vlsd being shimmed over like the open diff because of the skinnier ring gear?
240SilviaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #120
240SilviaX
Leaky Injector

240SilviaX is an unknown quantity at this point
Just measured my stock shim out of the J30 and its 1.13 (0.0445) and any input on what size I would get for a DD with mountain/track days. I dont want it locked all the time just pretty stiff. I have a few buddys with welded and 1 with a Kaaz 2 way, the welded its way too much for a DD and the Kaaz.. well I can use that money for something else
240SilviaX is offline   Reply With Quote