Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
LeLyn

Trader Rating: (0)
LeLyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB New member, engine swap thread pt#1

Hello everyone. New member to the forum. I'm going to be writing up a build thread on my engine swap project. I have a 1973 240z that currently has the stock l24 engine in it, however someone swapped out the 4 speed for a 5 speed transmission. After fighting with the flat top carbs for a while, I gave up and swapped over a set of round top carbs. Things were great for a few months and then they began to run poorly as well. Long story short, I miss fuel injection and have all but given up on the 40 year old Datsun power plant.
I have decided to do an RB25det NEO swap with the car. I purchased a 2001 Skyline R34 engine, ecu and rwd 5 speed transmission. I also ordered an engine swap harness from wiring specialties as well as an engine/trans mount and oil pan kit from CXRacing. I have already swapped out the factory rear diff for a spare I had for my 2005 Subaru STI, so the car is currently sporting a 3.90 geared 4 spider R180 with limited slip unit. I'm waiting on the wiring harness to arrive some time mid month and then the swap will begin.
I have already changed the timing belt and tensioner on the RB as well as installed a new water pump and thermostat (The engine only has 26xxx miles on it. I have also installed the front mount intercooler. I plan on swapping the oil pan on the RB25 for an aluminum front sump pan sometime this week, prepping things before the actual swap begins. If all goes well, the swap shouldn't take but a week or so (Not my first engine swap, I've also done an EJ20 turbo engine into my 65 VW Beetle (Huge project by the way) and a compound turboed 12v Cummins swap into my 81 Chevy pickup). I plan on diving in during the holiday break from work right before the end of the year.
I'm looking for any pointers from those who may have done this swap in the past. Things to watch out for as well as get an idea of what you did about the drive shaft. I already know that it will have to be modified, but I'm wondering if either the skyline or 240z drive shaft was long enough to have shortened. I have both here but I'm wondering if I'll be able to simply have the tube cut down and a joke swapped or if I'll have to have both yokes cut off and a new tube made.
I'll post pictures of things as they progress. Thanks ahead of time for any assistance anyone offers. I look forward to sharing my project with everyone, and as always, I'm open to criticism both good and bad, provided they criticism is productive and things stay civil Thanks again for everyones time.
LeLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
G-E@Z31P
Leaky Injector

G-E@Z31P is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't you mean REAR sump pan?
G-E@Z31P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
cjack300zx

Trader Rating: (1)
cjack300zx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very cool build bro, let's see some pics. Check out McKinney Motorsports for parts

240 260 280Z parts Products McKinney Motorsports
cjack300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
LeLyn

Yes, I did mean rear sump pan. Sorry about that. As for pictures, I'll begin taking pictures as the build progresses. I'm currently driving the car daily back and forth to work. But I'll have some time off around Christmas and then I'll begin the swap. I'll get a few pictures of the car in its current state off of my phone and upload them soon.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
LeLyn

Hello everyone. So I've had a little time to work on the 240z. I pulled the L24 engine out and cleaned up the engine compartment. I then trimmed the factory transmission cross member mounts, although I need to trim a little bit more since the rb25 transmission is so much wider that it still touches the mounts. Another 1/8" or so and I'll be in business. Here are a few pictures of the progress. Feel free to comment or ask questions.

Please excuse the mess. I am still in the middle of tucking in and securing the Wiring specialties harness. I also need to finish mounting the custom fabbed oil dipstick (The CXRacing oil pan has NO DIPSTICK!!!)
I installed a surge tank in the engine compartment and mounted a low pressure high volume lift pump in the rear of the car feeding the surge tank as well as a Bosch 044 high pressure pump in the engine compartment fed by the surge tank. This simplified the plumbing as well as kept the high pressure line very short. With this setup, all of the fuel lines carry low pressure (around 5 psi) accept for a short stretch (Approx 15") from the Bosch pump to the fuel rail. This should help to minimize the likelihood of high pressure fuel leaks.
I'm taking the weekend off to spend time with the family, but will be back to work on the car on Monday. My hopes are to have the car in a driving sate by the time my holiday vacation is over on the 2nd. I'd like to drive the car to work on Thursday. We will see how things go.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
pat1
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
pat1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Your the third guy I have read about having problem with the CX racing rear sump pans. That sucks

Great progress!!
pat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
LeLyn

Sorry about the long delay in updating. Holidays and all. As far as the rear sump pan problems go, the pan actually fit very well, the problem i had was that there was no dip stick. I called cxracing the other day and spoke to one of there tech guys. He said "well its a 5 quart pan, just put 5 quarts in it". I asked how i was supposed to check the oil in the mean time, he said that you just run it for 3k miles, drain it and put 5 quarts back in. The most retarded thing i have ever heard. Anyway, i fabbed a dip stick and welded it into the pan before i installed it. Then i put 4 quarts of oil in it, started the engine to circulate the oil and the shut it down. After 10 minutes of resting or so i pulled the dip stick and made a mark on the stick. Then added 1 more quart and repeated. Now i have a full mark as well as a low mark. Simple enough although frustrating. As far as progress on the car goes, i got it up and running on Wednesday night, i drove it to work these past 2 days. So far so good. I need to do a little tweaking on a few things. Its currently running on wastegate pressure whch is 4 psi. I need to get a few miles on the engine then change the oil. After that ill finish plumbing the water meth kit and turn on the electronic boost controller. I plan on running the engine at 12psi and i hope the water/meth will help with California's horrible quality gasoline. The only reason i havent been updating this thread is because it seemed like there was no interest from other members on the forum. No comments usually means no intrest. I am very new to the forum, but i dont think ill be around much. I have not beem badly treated by anyone, its just that other forums ive joined in the past for other projects (cummins swapped chevy pickup, ej20 turbo swapped vw beetle) seemed much more personable. No offense to anyone of course. If anyone has any questions, feel free to reply or message me. Id love to help if there is anything i can contribute. Also, if anyone is in the Sacramento area and would like to take a look for whatever reason, feel free to contact me. Im all about helping in any way i can. Untill later gents.