Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Matt300ZXT
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Matt300ZXT is a glorious beacon of lightMatt300ZXT is a glorious beacon of lightMatt300ZXT is a glorious beacon of lightMatt300ZXT is a glorious beacon of lightMatt300ZXT is a glorious beacon of lightMatt300ZXT is a glorious beacon of lightMatt300ZXT is a glorious beacon of lightMatt300ZXT is a glorious beacon of lightMatt300ZXT is a glorious beacon of lightMatt300ZXT is a glorious beacon of lightMatt300ZXT is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Matt300ZXT Send a message via Yahoo to Matt300ZXT
Which ECU would be better for RB25 Z32 swap

I've been doing some reading on what's necessary for doing the swap. It doesn't seem too tricky, but I do have a question about which ECU to use. I have seen instructions on Nistune's site about a few modifications needed to an 8 bit ECU from a Z32 to run the RB25. I am comfortable with those mods as I've soldered before, built guitar amps, etc so it's not a problem.

However, Wiring Specialties, who I'd buy a new harness from, says theirs was originally designed for the RB25 ECU, but a few minor mods could be made to make it run on a Z32 ECU.

I was curious, from personal experience, not hearsay, or from people who tune cars, which do you think would be better? The RB25 I'm getting is a Series 2.
Matt300ZXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
G-E@Z31P
Leaky Injector

G-E@Z31P is an unknown quantity at this point
The hearsay is that it's tougher to tun an actual rb ecu if you keep the variable cam timing, the 8-bit z32 ecu being the easiest option, but by no means the most effective or fine grained

Matt developed nistune for all the rb ecus, so they do have plenty of experience tuning them in aussieland -- guess it's also a matter of availabilty, north america got most of the z32
G-E@Z31P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
RB2.5

RB2.5 is an unknown quantity at this point
I hear the Adaptronic unit works well, ask these guys:
http://zilvia.net/f/advertiser-annou...elect-ecu.html
RB2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
LeLyn

LeLyn is an unknown quantity at this point
I just finished an rb25det neo swap into my 240z. According to the people i spoke to, the rb ecu is the best bet because it retains the variable valve timing function. I dont believe the z32 ecu will control that function. As far as tunabilaty goes, im running a 2000 rb25 engine out Of a second generation Stagea (kind of like a skyline station wagon). According to nistune, the first gen stagea ecu can not be modified using ine of there daughter boards. The second gen unit like i have can be modded. Another thing to keep an eye on. Good luck with your project, i barely finished mine, so i dont have enough miles on it to give a really goox review, but in this short time ive had it running, i absolutely love it.
LeLyn is offline   Reply With Quote