Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
[email protected]

Trader Rating: (0)
rihoonigan@gmail.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Narrowing Down a Misfire

Been going through the steps on figuring out what exactly could cause a misfire in a 90 Z32. So far I narrowed it down to Cylinder #3 . at first thought it was the coil pack, (disconnecting it did not change the way it ran. )Ended up switching it with another coil pack that is running but nothing changed. Next I removed the spark plug in cylinder #3 thinking it could be the spark plug it self. Taking out the plug I saw it was all black looking burnt which lead me to believe that cylinder is running rich being caused by a faulty fuel injector.I did switch spark plug ( which are NGK ) with another cylinder to see if maybe that plug would misfire in another cylinder, it didn't. So faulty injector? Has anyone heard or experienced anything else that it could be. Haven't had the car for long, plugs have been recently changed by last owner. Car idles around 1ooo. I did some reading for about a week before posting and diagnosing the problem. Haven't pulled codes yet though that should've been my first step. I'm new to Nissans or V6 ( vg30 ) always had Rotary's. Hopefully I can figure this one out. Thank you.
rihoonigan@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
JeeBus
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
JeeBus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The vg30 engine electrical system is notorious for corrosion.

Try cleaning the CAS plug, PTU plugs, and most definitely the injector plugs.

But since you've narrowed it down to cyl. #3, start with just cleaning the injector pins and the harness pigtail for that injector.

More than likely your car has "old style" square clip injectors which are prone to failure from corrosion and the ethanol content in the gas of today.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You were on the right track, you should just concentrate on the cylinder problems that are easier to diagnose, like injectors, ohm them, check for leaks and then swap them around. And If all it is, is a leaky or bad injector you wouldn't have to pull the wiring apart, or swap out the cas, at least for now. Assuming the other injectors, and plugs fire.

Sent from my Highly Tuned Galaxy S3.4!!!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote