Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-02-2016, 03:30 AM   #1
ShawnHalu

Trader Rating: (0)
ShawnHalu is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gearbox Conversion Help

Hi all,

I need help in gearbox conversion, Genuine Help i mean, I been reading for the conversion for quite sometime. but still stuck in a stage of choosing between Z32 (5spd), Z33 (6spd), S14 (5spd)

I am driving a Nissan Silvia S15,daily street driving & randomly launching or drifting throughout times, I am running around 320hp, with Nismo GT L.S.D Pro TT. Currently running a S14 Gearbox. Previously blown one S13 gearbox.

1. Strong and longer lasting Gearbox

2. usually Is the gearing and syncro already repair by the seller? or is it a luck thing on the use gearbox?

3. which gearbox will you actually recommend? Z32 (5spd) or Z33 (6Spd) (i am tired of replacing gearboxes already after recent S14 gearbox up for less than 4mths. started to have sound inside already

4. During the time when i am with S13/S14 gearboxes, everytime when i release throttle and speedo starting to drop from 100km/h down, everytime it passes the 90-80km/h (2.2 - 2.4rpm) it will have a noise (either i will called it a tramping or gearing noise) then back to normal again. If i uses the Z32/33 Gearbox and uses back the S15 clutch set & dual mass flywheel. does it solve the NVH?

5. Do i need cutting of any chassis area with the above mention gearbox?

6. Using back dual-mass flywheel better or single mass flywheel (lke stock S14) is better?

7. 5spd or 6spd is better for both driveability and drifting. I actually want something responsive & fun to drive/drift.
(5 or 6 spd is actually best for drifting?)

8. is the shifting feel the same as S14 (5spd)/ S15 (6Spd) with the Z32(5spd)/Z33(6spd)

9. Thank you guys
ShawnHalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2016, 06:59 AM   #2
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I believe the dual mass is s15 6d specific?

Z32 boxes are all old now

Z33 boxes are much newer, better, and cheaper

How you are nuking boxes that quickly with low power is surprising
Old 10-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnHalu View Post
Hi all,

1. Strong and longer lasting Gearbox
go z33
2. usually Is the gearing and syncro already repair by the seller? or is it a luck thing on the use gearbox?
if you get a cd009 gearbox, thats the best revision offered by nissan
3. which gearbox will you actually recommend? Z32 (5spd) or Z33 (6Spd) (i am tired of replacing gearboxes already after recent S14 gearbox up for less than 4mths. started to have sound inside already
z32 are old, and still have 3d and 4th gear grinding issues, z33/cd009 is the best option, and not much more expensive than z32

4. During the time when i am with S13/S14 gearboxes, everytime when i release throttle and speedo starting to drop from 100km/h down, everytime it passes the 90-80km/h (2.2 - 2.4rpm) it will have a noise (either i will called it a tramping or gearing noise) then back to normal again. If i uses the Z32/33 Gearbox and uses back the S15 clutch set & dual mass flywheel. does it solve the NVH?
most people who use z32/33 trans do not use the s15 dual mass flywheel
5. Do i need cutting of any chassis area with the above mention gearbox?
i don't know about z32, but you will have to hammer out some areas on the trans tunnel to fit z33/cd009
6. Using back dual-mass flywheel better or single mass flywheel (lke stock S14) is better?
in my opinion, single mass has more options for clutches
7. 5spd or 6spd is better for both driveability and drifting. I actually want something responsive & fun to drive/drift.
(5 or 6 spd is actually best for drifting?)
z33/cd009 offers better gear selection ratios in my opinion, you can also modify the final drive
8. is the shifting feel the same as S14 (5spd)/ S15 (6Spd) with the Z32(5spd)/Z33(6spd)
don't know, i've never driven an s15 6 speed
9. Thank you guys
msglngth.....

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
ShawnHalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
I believe the dual mass is s15 6d specific?

Z32 boxes are all old now

Z33 boxes are much newer, better, and cheaper

How you are nuking boxes that quickly with low power is surprising

HI Kat,

Actually i am not nuking that much, just that my side here is hard to look for a good gearbox. the gearbox that i could find here are all old.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
ShawnHalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
msglngth.....
Hi Brndck,

I saw quite a few post saying that z33 is a cut and shut? or something like cut the bellhousing and weld back. isnt that not strong enough?
Old 10-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
There are a couple ways to do it:

-Adapter plate. The thickness of the plate material needs to be machined off of the Z33 bellhousing.

-Mazworks SR to CD Bellhousing. The old Z33 bellhousing is cut off and this one is bolted in it's place. However, it's attached by the Input Shaft Cover bolts. I would question that strength.

derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #7
ShawnHalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
There are a couple ways to do it:

-Adapter plate. The thickness of the plate material needs to be machined off of the Z33 bellhousing.

-Mazworks SR to CD Bellhousing. The old Z33 bellhousing is cut off and this one is bolted in it's place. However, it's attached by the Input Shaft Cover bolts. I would question that strength.

Hi, so you mean the first one is actually better? from maverick or something right. does it bolt on as in direct? no need to hammer the trans tunnel all those? and also after installation the bottom will it be lower than the chassis rail?
Old 10-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #8
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnHalu View Post
Hi, so you mean the first one is actually better? from maverick or something right. does it bolt on as in direct? no need to hammer the trans tunnel all those? and also after installation the bottom will it be lower than the chassis rail?
no matter which one you choose, you will still need to hammer the trans tunnel.

maverick one requires machining roughly 12-15mm off the face of the z33 bellhousing.

Quote:
Old 10-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #9
ShawnHalu

Quote:
no matter which one you choose, you will still need to hammer the trans tunnel.

maverick one requires machining roughly 12-15mm off the face of the z33 bellhousing.
oh Brndck, Z33 doesnt have the speedo thing right? Z32 haves?

1 more thing is if my diff is 4.11 now with Nismo GT PRO TT LSD, do i need to change the FD to a smaller one or can i keep it the same? and the Propeller shaft for Z32 & Z33 is it the same?
Old 10-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #10
brndck
Premium Member

z33 speed sensor is in the diff, so if you wish to have speedo, you can either get a abs diff and read off of that, or use a gps speedo like this one
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105...0efxoCa0_w_wcB

z33 final drive gear ratio was either 3.3 or 3.5, so 4.11 will be much shorter, but I think it should still be ok even for freeway

prop shaft will need to be custom made due to length difference. z33 trans is longer than sr20 trans so the drive shaft will need to be shorter

Quote:
Old 10-06-2016, 07:18 AM   #11
ShawnHalu

Quote:
z33 speed sensor is in the diff, so if you wish to have speedo, you can either get a abs diff and read off of that, or use a gps speedo like this one
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105...0efxoCa0_w_wcB

z33 final drive gear ratio was either 3.3 or 3.5, so 4.11 will be much shorter, but I think it should still be ok even for freeway

prop shaft will need to be custom made due to length difference. z33 trans is longer than sr20 trans so the drive shaft will need to be shorter
ok, i know the z tranny and sr20 tranny is of different length, what i meant was Z32 & Z33, is the prop shaft of the same length? Thankew
Old 10-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Since you have an s15 you already have a speed sensor in your differential. Your speedo will work the same no matter the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TheRealSy90; 10-11-2016 at 01:39 PM..
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:49 AM   #13
ShawnHalu

Thanks mate:)

So all of you love your z33 trans on silvia