Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:17 AM   #91
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectsupra View Post
I'm pretty proud, first time TIG welding anything and I'm feeling pretty good about the results, definitely cooked a few spots and blew a hole or two.
Had to sharpen my tungsten at least a hundred times, guess we'll see how long it holds up.

THIS was your first time tig welding??? holy shit i suck.

ALSO who made that carbon bumper bar???

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2023, 07:13 PM   #92
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
projectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snilssson View Post
Absolutely wild build, I am always in awe of people that have the skills and time to do something like this. Cant wait to see it rolling!
Thanks! Skills maybe, but time is basically nonexistent now that we have twins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
THIS was your first time tig welding??? holy shit i suck.

ALSO who made that carbon bumper bar???
I doubt I'm any better than anyone else with the torch, but I have been MIG welding for near 20 years so it's not like I'm unfamiliar behind a hood.
My first few TIG welds were truly awful though, luckily I had a few tube cutoffs to practice on first.

Bumper is an E46 M3 rear that I split in the middle and widened a little.
I almost put an E63 M6 support on instead, they look really cool but the shape isn't right.
I planned to carbon reinforce the whole thing but now that I have a gas tank covering the suspension I'll probably just throw an original support and rear bumper on.
projectsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:03 PM   #93
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Thanks! Skills maybe, but time is basically nonexistent now that we have twins.
It only gets worse? I wake up at 5:30 am on the weekends if I want to get any decent amount of time in on the car before my twins wake up?
Old 01-12-2023, 06:24 PM   #94
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

projectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of light
You're telling me, it never seems to get easier, it just gets different lol.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:45 PM   #95
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
You're telling me, it never seems to get easier, it just gets different lol.
It?s a fun experience. You?re a rich man. Enjoy it because it goes by entirely too quickly. We?re already on year 6 and it seems as if they were only born a could?ve months ago. Gray hair is in your future?
Old 01-18-2023, 07:46 PM   #96
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

First test start went great, had to pull the fuel hanger back out and squeeze in a 6th stud since I found out the fuel temp and fuel level sensors are separate circuits, not common ground.
Threw a bunch of 93 in the tank, wired up the pump, threw on my gauge to read fuel pressure then bumped the FPR up a couple turns to hit 500kpa that the Q50 FSM calls for.

These direct injectors are incredibly loud in the garage with no hood and no engine cover, it almost sounds like a diesel. At least the Bosch 044 is pretty quiet inside the tank now.

https://youtu.be/9Depc_nJl2k
Old 01-18-2023, 08:03 PM   #97
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
First test start went great, had to pull the fuel hanger back out and squeeze in a 6th stud since I found out the fuel temp and fuel level sensors are separate circuits, not common ground.
Threw a bunch of 93 in the tank, wired up the pump, threw on my gauge to read fuel pressure then bumped the FPR up a couple turns to hit 500kpa that the Q50 FSM calls for.

These direct injectors are incredibly loud in the garage with no hood and no engine cover, it almost sounds like a diesel. At least the Bosch 044 is pretty quiet inside the tank now.

https://youtu.be/9Depc_nJl2k
That's quite the harness setup you've got there! Very cool that it's running!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 01:26 PM   #98
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Tell me about it, I started with just a front harness so I could wire the engine into the car and remove NATS, then I kept collecting a module or harness until it just ran off the Q harness.

Figured I might as well update the car and have keyless entry, push start, nav, tpms, dual zone climate control, and all the other modern car things.
The only thing I really have to wire up now is a relay system for the popup headlights.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:28 AM   #99
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Look at this mess, all wiring is now in the car and roughly routed, and everything's working so far except for a little wiring to get my NAVI control unit powered on with my non-nav harness.

Next step is to move a few connectors, rewrap the harness, and tuck it away so it looks factory.

Old 02-21-2023, 05:40 AM   #100
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I admire your level of commitment. Wire tucking a normal s-chassis harness sucks. Fuck that noise.
tuzzio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 06:21 AM   #101
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I admire your level of commitment. Wire tucking a normal s-chassis harness sucks. Fuck that noise.
Amen to that!
Old 04-08-2023, 09:41 PM   #102
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

We're still not back on the road yet, but getting close! Got the entire rear harness, roof harness, and most of the dash harness unwrapped, rerouted some connections, combined the trunk harness with the left rear body harness, and rewrapped in new tesa tape. Now everything is looking good as new and working perfectly. The factory navigation I added is finished up as well and seems to be working great.

Still have to do the door harnesses and front body harness and then wiring will be done!

In doing all of that I've come to absolutely love Nissan's junction boxes, they make adding circuits soooo easy.
These things are a stack of 6, 4 pin connectors that snap together, with any of these colored caps that mate to the pin connectors.
Depending on the color cap you can have any number of combinations of connections.

Next up was to get the brake lights working, the Q50 has 2 switches on the pedal and luckily the S13 brake pedal is also built for 2 switches.
Unfortunately mine only came with one, so I notched out the shaped hole to fit the grey stop light switch and black locking tab, and welded another bit of metal to mirror what was already on the brake pedal, added bumper stops and it's good to go.

Next up I had the idea that my Q50 backup camera could go in the unused keyhole, since my trunk latch is now electronic.

Just had to grind the little lip off the back side of the center light so the lens would stick out. Ended up making a few revisions to the model but 2 or 3 PETG prints later and I ended up with a pretty good view angle and fit.
I might revise it again later to angle down and poke it out the hole a little more.

Last up is something I just finished today, mounting the Q50 turn signals to the S13 column. I debated using the S13 turn signal switches since mine are brand new, but it just didn't seem worth the effort since I would need to adapt the Q50 angle sensor encoder and clock spring anyway for my electric power steering to work.

So I got back into NX and fired up my printer, first PETG version worked awesome, both tabs locked right into the column and clamped on nice and tight. I ended up breaking the tab after I took it off and flexed it with my thumb a few times a little too hard.

Version 2 I just ditched the spring tab since the thing was split at the bottom anyway and it flexes open enough to slip over the column. Added a few revisions so it fit even better and made the clock spring perfectly concentric, and success!

Next order of business is going to be figuring out what to do with the A/C & heater boxes, I want the Q50 dual zone system, but as you can see below, it's going to be a challenge to stuff into the S13, might have to print custom housings.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:29 PM   #103
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I am very curious to see how you make that dual climate control work. That is going to be very cool.

Impressive stuff as always man.
Old 04-11-2023, 02:27 AM   #104
ingmar F
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
ingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the roughingmar F is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wow! this build is really impressive. must be so cool to have a 30 year old car with so many modern features when its finished. best of both worlds!
ingmar F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:50 AM   #105
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Thread never fails to deliver. Dual climate zone, wild.
tuzzio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:55 AM   #106
jmanuelg

jmanuelg is an unknown quantity at this point
This build is literally so cool, from rust to resto to sr20 to vr30. What is crazy that you are implementing all the modern designs from a q50 to your interior. You also need to paint the hood though.

You should start a youtube to document all this and inform the future of 240sx because I would def like to do a modern interior.
jmanuelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:03 PM   #107
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Thanks all! It's amazing how much more air this Q50 system blows compare to the weezy S13 unit, hopefully it'll be worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanuelg View Post
This build is literally so cool, from rust to resto to sr20 to vr30. What is crazy that you are implementing all the modern designs from a q50 to your interior. You also need to paint the hood though.

You should start a youtube to document all this and inform the future of 240sx because I would def like to do a modern interior.

Appreciate the feedback! This car has been on a journey for sure, definitely planning on painting the hood, I need to make a new one anyway because the engine is so tall.

I started to record some of the body wiring install work and I've got a ton of videos planned out, but it's so time consuming to setup the tripod and move it around to get different shots of what's going on, plus editing, my time in the garage is unfortunately very limited these days.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:44 PM   #108
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

It's been a while so here's a quick update on some neat things I've been working on.

So now all of the Q50 body harness is in the chassis, rerouted some wiring and wrapped up the rest of the front engine bay harness.

I ended up CAD and printing my own flexible TPU wiring boots to fit the new harness and firewall. It took several iterations but I finally ended up on a split design that is very slim so it doesn't catch the tires and holds the wiring where I want it while being water tight.

While I was at it I made a bunch of plugs and grommets for the rest of the engine bay as well.

There was also the matter of my main power wiring, I had my battery relocated to the rear seats but decided to pick up a Braille b3121 and put in the front (largest battery that would clear the intake piping, air filter will be under the battery).
This meant extending a whole wad of main power wires since the G/Q/Z all have the battery next to the firewall.

These all got crimped and soldered, shrink wrap and lots of tape to make sure I have no future issues here.

And now that the body wiring is in, interior can finally go back in!

Also means other fun little printed parts that no one will ever see, like a bracket to hold this keyless entry sensor in the correct position so things like TPMS will hopefully work.

Decided to install one of the map lights my S13 never came with, I'll add some LED's eventually. This was also a good place to hide the OEM navigation microphone, just had to make some small cuts inside and drill 2 tiny holes.

Finally picked up a new 3d scanner last week, it's been a HUGE help in making things that previously were very difficult or impossible, like this adapter from the original wiper motor to the Q50 wiper motor, while maintaining correct geometry for operation.

And the one I'm REALLY exciting about, the bracket to house my nav knob and USB inputs in the center console.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:24 AM   #109
OaxKouki
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
OaxKouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Absolutely awesome, I love this build. Every time you update this thread I am blown away by the attention to detail.
OaxKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:54 AM   #110
thermogod
Leaky Injector

thermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond reputethermogod has a reputation beyond repute
holy shit lol. this is great
Old 06-20-2023, 08:29 AM   #111
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Some people should have 3D printers while some should not. You are one of those boiz who need to keep making stuff. I'd suggest having a space for your files so others can print out parts, too. Keep our chassis alive!
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 02:49 PM   #112
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Thanks all, I really appreciate the positive feedback!
I plan on scanning most of my parts I have lying around and uploading the files to grabcad or thingiverse for others to do as they wish, but I don't have free time like I used to and scanning certain parts takes a considerable effort to get a decent STL/OBJ file, and can take even longer to reverse engineer an accurate parametric CAD model.

Got the nav control, aux inputs, and sport/eco mode switch installed with my printed parts. Needs a little tweaking but they're good enough for now.

Old 07-13-2023, 12:20 AM   #113
driftls1

driftls1 is an unknown quantity at this point
holey shit dude, ive been thinking ever since the q50 came out with the vr in it that it would have been sick to have the 6 speed behind it, but my exp with infiniti , and all the nats and dass and how everything is intertwined pushed this back.

Your build is nuts the quality of work is top notch , did you end up getting a wrecked car to salvage all of the parts from ? Im curious did a g37/370z clutch and flywheel work ?
driftls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 05:39 AM   #114
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftls1 View Post
Im curious did a g37/370z clutch and flywheel work ?
Hey man, check out the article by ConceptZ on their manual swap Q. While it seems like some work, it definitely isn't anything crazy.

https://conceptzperformance.com/blog...q60-red-sport/
Old 07-16-2023, 06:53 AM   #115
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

^ This, CZP has helped answer my questions more than a few times about this.

If you go back a page or two you'll see the VR manual swap stuff, I used a Z1 flywheel, VQHR Competition Clutch single disk clutch/PP and CZP CMAK slave cylinder, 370z pilot bearing.
With the VQHR trans you'll have to notch the bellhousing for the crank position sensor.
This was all done before the new Z came out with a manual, so now it's possible to just buy these bolt-on parts from Nissan I believe.

The only real hassle with a VR/manual swap is the CAN communication to the auto trans TCM, without this you'll have an eternal error message on the dash and the ECM will need a custom flash to get the engine out of limp mode.

BTW I should have just bought a wrecked Q50/60 to strip, but I didn't know I would go this direction with the build.
I slowly pieced together the entire wiring harness & modules from multiple Q50's. You need to be very careful as there's a ton of options, 2.0/3.0/3.5/3.7 engines, DAS, adaptive headlights, BOSE, around view monitor, lane assist, proximity sensors, auto wipers, NAV, etc..
Old 07-16-2023, 12:16 PM   #116
driftls1

driftls1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I looked into the cpz as suggested , for some reason I forgot all about them.

Ya, I know a little bit about the platforms/ packages that’s probably why I am so interested in this build… definitely going farther into this than I would lol, I just wanted the engine/trans , but I feared without a custom harness or crazy standalone it won’t work right.
driftls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 01:06 PM   #117
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Lots of work completed but haven't had the time to document the updates.

Here's one that I'm sure will help some people out though, made a popup headlight motor subharness.

Sketched this schematic below so anyone in the future can easily make the same thing.

After checking out the S13 schematics I threw some wires on the popup motors to check operation.

Tested a few different options and came up with this setup, since marker lights have to be on before headlights, they activate the circuit, then low beams activate the UP motor circuit.

Down motor circuit is default when headlights are off, and markers off cuts power to everything.
I did have one issue where shutting off the lights too quickly left the popups up with the standard blue Nissan relay, that's when I swapped to a BU-509TD relay, it keeps the circuit active for another few seconds after marker lights are shut off so the motors can close.

I think this can be done using the 3&4 outputs from the popup motors and some diodes as well, but I'm not tearing into the harness again.

This may not work for everyone, I'm running bixenon HID so low beams are always on, high beams only trigger the shield. I also didn't integrate the popup up/down button because I don't think it's necessary, and would mean running more wires through the whole dash harness.

Anyway, had this extra Q50 relay box lying around and found a little fuse holder from a newer Nissan LEAF that worked perfectly.

Also very unhappy that I had to fork over $40 shipped for these 2 plugs from wiringspecialties, because no one would cut them off for a reasonable price and they don't really come on anything else in a junkyard.

Then to fit the Bosch style BU509TD relay I CAD up this little adapter for the Nissan fuse boxes, it's on thingiverse now if anyone else needs it.

Old 08-21-2023, 01:25 PM   #118
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
That's a sweet way to keep the pop-up system working nicely with the HID. The new relay is a cool feature.

I like the Nav control turn dial. Looks so kewl in the console like that. If I was less of a squid I would do cool things like this xD
Old 08-25-2023, 01:33 PM   #119
koukizhang
Zilvia Member

koukizhang is on a distinguished road
This is fuckin incredible. Thank u for ur service.
koukizhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 12:43 PM   #120
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Here's another update of me spending more time on things that don't really help get the car back on the road.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to use the original S13 climate control boxes due to the enormous size difference from the Q50/60 ones. I'll lose dual zone functionality but that's acceptable, so I just need to get the boxes back in so I can fill the radiator with coolant and work on the blend door mechanisms later

While the boxes were out I took a little time to fix my blower fan issue, Q50 blower motor and squirrel cage fan are too large to fit in the S13 boxes, and the S13 fan won't fit over the Q50 motor. After some measurements I CAD/printed a PETG adapter and new fan that would let me adapt the two together.

s13 fan on left, q50 on right

s13 housing

q50 housing

adapter

We also bought a new comically large CR-M4 printer, makes this fan look tiny on the bed.

So far so good, air output seems about the same, we'll see how long it holds up in the car.