Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:09 AM   #61
-kenny-
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
-kenny- is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Car looks amazing. Fun, manual and great engine. Keep it up man
-kenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #62
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Man, ganador prices are nutty nowadays
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #63
Olly
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Olly is making a name for him/her selfOlly is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I got a last minute call up to go and test the car at Hampton downs 'skid pan' which is a large concrete area with water jets that you can operate manually.. I've never drifted before but this was the most fun I've had in this car and probably any car, can't wait to get out again.

We started the day with a few donuts, then figure 8s, then set up a track which consisted of 3 or 4 corners.. mostly slow second gear stuff.. by the end of the day I got to battle a few cars (badly) and then I stopped as i was really pushing my luck and most of the other cars were missiles haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSyEBXYotoc

Last edited by Olly; 01-13-2020 at 12:53 AM..
Olly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:33 PM   #64
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That track layout looks like a nightmare. Concrete walls, and other cars coming towards you.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #65
Olly
Zilvia Member

Na it’s fine.

You can’t see but there is a gravel trap that runs round the whole track. You can’t get anywhere near the walls.

The track is split between a donut pad and a small circuit. You can see the pad when I finish the section.

There’s no way I would chance my car getting wrecked and I’d happily do it again.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:33 AM   #66
Olly
Zilvia Member

Someone asked me about the Cusco front camber arms and now after 10,000km or so of driving I can review them a bit better..

Apparently the above is due to excessive camber on the ball joint meaning the load is not evenly distributed. You can fix this by cutting and shortening the uprights but I'm not overly keen on relying on someone's welds with my son in the car all the time.

I guess that leads me to figuring out what to replace the Cusco front arms with. The only real option is a serial nine front arm.. but I'm a tad confused on what to get..

https://www.serialnine.com/product-page/is300-fuca

These look great and I think as I'm going to run more camber in the rear to try to remove some of the poke I want to match that up front..

On the 180 I ran -7 front camber and -3 rear.. If I could get away with -5 front and -3 rear i think this should even out the look a lot.

If anyone has used serial nine stuff before I'm interested to hear of your experience, I'm definitely going to get the bushing kit that they sell shortly.

Also managed to find some brand new OEM clear indicators.

And I installed a Koyo Rad as I want to start doing some engine bay dress up stuff and make it look not so junk.

I'm in two minds right now with the car and the engine - I have a hi-flow turbo with a Garrett GTX3071 front wheel and standard steel rear wheel that I could put on, it should provide a bit more 'punch'. or I could sell it and run a GTX3076r Gen 2 setup which is way more money and probably over kill for the kindergarten run.

Until next time
Old 01-13-2020, 12:39 AM   #67
Olly
Zilvia Member

This photo really shows how bad the rear poke is
Old 01-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #68
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
I know a number of guys running serial9 arms on GS or JZX chassis with no issues (other than the cost, they're expensive!).

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:49 AM   #69
Olly
Zilvia Member

I got another late call up to a mid-week drift day, this time on the Hampton Downs club circuit. D-Club had just held the Animal Style GP there on the Sunday and I took my son along to watch for a bit. Here he is taking a few photos of his favourite cars:

The driving on this day was another level, some of the best 3 - 4 car tandems I've seen, anywhere.

Anyway, this was my first day drifting a track and I was nervous as hell, I borrowed a mates pair of XT7 and bought some cheap 225/40/18.

I did 3 sessions and by the third I was pretty happy with how my driving ended up. I couldn't link the first and second corner but I could add a manji and it made things a lot more fun. I might try to leave it in third next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPAyQjtDpMk

Car was a champ. So stoked on this thing. No issues again.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:40 AM   #70
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
looks like an awesome event!

you'll get it down with more seat time!

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #71
Olly
Zilvia Member

Small update - For anyone doing JZA80 Supra brake conversion on a JZX100, specifically the rear: JZA80 inner brake shoes for JZX100 are needed, this allows the factory handbrake to work. I haven't installed the rear calipers and rotors purely because I didn't know these existed and I wanted to do some drifting and it would have sucked without a handbrake.

There are 2 companies that make the shoes - Kazama and Project Mu. I went with Project Mu conversion shoes.. I've had some varying feedback on how good they are but we will find out.

Visually - having both Supra front and rear rules.. it looks 1000x cooler. It also surprised me what a difference it made to braking.. the rear helps a lot and the car pulls up a lot more evenly rather than the front dipping down under a lot of hard braking.

The factory rear brakes are gross:

All new:

In other news, I managed to find a Power FC locally (new in box) for a really good price so I grabbed it, I also ordered a Tomei cast manfiold, tomei dump pipe and j-pipe delete kit.

And I changed the headlights.

Old 03-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #72
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Can you explain the differences in headlights? Different years different spec I guess?
Old 03-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #73
Olly
Zilvia Member

I think there are 4 different types of front lights for a Mark II, Basically tripple vs double and chrome and black housings. The double housings which look similar to brick headlights or Chaser headlights were only available in GX100.

This car was kinda the reason I wanted to find some of the black housing ones.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:14 AM   #74
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Looking great as always!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #75
spitfiredc7

Trader Rating: (1)
spitfiredc7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sweet as build. Simple and effective.
spitfiredc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:39 AM   #76
Olly
Zilvia Member

Thanks for all the comments guys, its been a fun build so far!.

So as of Monday I've been working from home probably like a lot of you, pretty stoked just to still be working when I see whats happening in other sectors... the whole situation in NZ is bizarre and I think we are actually pretty well set up to respond being so isolated..

I've decided to keep up with my hobbies whilst at home so I don't go insane so been picking up a few bits and driving the car a bit more when I have the opportunity.

I ordered a Tomei Expreme Cast manifold

The Power FC & J-pipe delete kit showed up.

The guy I bought the Power FC off also had a decent fuel setup for sale that I bought too, it's a bit overkill but it's an awesome setup.

It's a Sard Fuel Rail, Bosch 750cc injectors & adapters, Sard FPR & Bosch 500hp fuel pump.

It saves me buying a lot of stuff separately and I guess all I need now is a boost controller and to get the defi's wired in properly and it's good to go for a tune.

I have a hi-flow turbo, fairly standard but with a Garrett GTX3071 front wheel.. It's not going to do much over 18psi but in all honesty.. if this thing makes 250 - 260kw to the wheels I will be over the moon!

The only other thing that might choke it would be the AFM, I could convert to a Z32 AFM or something but will see how it goes.

And yes I know I could have gone down the road of a Haltech or a Link but it totally doesn't fit what I'm trying to build here.

Last edited by Olly; 03-18-2020 at 01:52 AM..
Old 03-18-2020, 11:16 AM   #77
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Very cool! Stay safe and healthy man. Best wishes to you and your family.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:18 AM   #78
austinth0rnt0n

austinth0rnt0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Olly, stoked to watch the build progress as the count of days indoors increase lol. Such good work man, and hope all stays well on your end.
austinth0rnt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #79
MaxGTST
Leaky Injector

MaxGTST is an unknown quantity at this point
Which headlight corners are those with the blackhousings ?
MaxGTST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:17 AM   #80
Olly
Zilvia Member

The corner lights are DMAX smoked.

NZ is now in total lockdown, you can visit the doctor or the supermarket and that's about it. I am glad we got to this point sooner rather than later but at the same time I'm going a bit stir-crazy at home.

This weekend I decided to embark on a project with my old headlights, I split the lights by heating them in the oven to 100*c for 14 minutes.

Then wet sanded down the old chrome housings.

Some satin black paint

Mocked them up and deleted the yellow fog (will replace with white LED)

I then gave the interior plastic a really good clean and was suprised as to how much dirt was on the inside of the lense. Back into the oven for 14 minutes at 100*c and it's super easy to just push the plastic back into the housings. I gave the front of the plastic lenses a quick compound and this was how they came up

These look so clean now, like too clean almost for how average the rest of the car is. You may asked why I bothered, but the twin brick headlights have completely different plugs and run No HID, so you have to retrofit all this sh1t and I did most of it but it didn't really work that well. I want to use the factory HID, the factory fog lights and the factory headlight adjustment instead of having scattered light everywhere.

My tomei manifold also arrived just before lockdown (literally the morning of lockdown). So yeah, once we get out - it's all go with tuning haha. Hope everyone is taking care.

Last edited by Olly; 04-01-2020 at 02:02 AM..
Old 04-06-2020, 01:33 AM   #81
neemsy

neemsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Very Nice bulid!. im also from NZ and getting back into forums during the lockdown has been a great way to pass the time while also working from home.

Looking at getting a jzx in the near future, just wondering if you can remember the total cost of the manual conversion. just want to know so i can factor that in when pricing an auto that i'd have to convert vs an already manual.

Cheers Mate and stay safe!
neemsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #82
t's!
Leaky Injector

t's! is an unknown quantity at this point
Car is so fkn FIRE!
t's! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #83
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Fantastic work as always, Olly. This is sensational machine.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #84
Olly
Zilvia Member

Thanks boys!

For anyone suffering from boredom - I re-activated the old blog - www.taupaki.net. Lots of good nostalgia and the entire 180sx build is in there.

And finally - my car isn't going to get any cleaner, I painted the grill satin black and then ran out of things to do.

My defi gauges don't have any sensors so I found some on ali-express and a genuine boost gauge from RHD Japan, I have no idea how long the ali-express ones will take to get here..

I also had too much to drink one night and bought a turbo. It's a Garrett GTX3076R GEN 2, but in bottom mount configuration, so it will bolt on to my Tomei manifold and I can use a Tomei dump pipe as well.. I think it's good for around 300kw, 350kw with cams.

I'm not going that nuts, I want 270kw at the wheels, with this I think it'll get there easily and not struggle, with the hi-flow I had it would be maxed to get there. Should be fun and I'll post up a few images when it gets here next week.

Stay safe everyone.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:32 AM   #85
Olly
Zilvia Member

Pretty happy about how this is coming together. The turbo arrived yesterday. NZ is out of full lock down on Tuesday, we're still limited in what we can do but the tuning shop is open from then.

Few things left to collect - mainly a boost controller and then we should be good to go.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #86
spitfiredc7

Trader Rating: (1)
spitfiredc7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good looking pieces!
Old 04-28-2020, 10:06 AM   #87
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
For some reason that cast manifold is going to look so nice and clean in the engine bay, maybe even better than a big tube manifold.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:20 AM   #88
Unit 02

Unit 02 is an unknown quantity at this point
love this build so much
Unit 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:24 AM   #89
Olly
Zilvia Member

The manifold came with instructions to run the factory heat shield so I'm not sure you're going to see it which sucks. I booked the car in to get tuned on the 27th and the only thing I need to find now is an air filter.

More boring parts photos.

One thing I have picked up recently which I'm super stoked on is a Bride Ergo2. I loved my Brix2 in the 180, I was initially put off by the graduation on the Ergo but I've since discovered the middle cushions and lower seat are very easy to remove, so they're going to get recovered in a black perforated fabric asap.

I think the Zeta3/Ergo2 combo should look awesome.

Nobody wants more headlight photos but I found a pair of LED fog lights, so I now have LED/HID/LED combo.

NZ's lockdown eased this week again, so I've actually been able to get out on a few good drives, the racetracks opened yesterday as well so planning on getting out in June to test the new set up.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #90
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Just popped in to say that I absolutely LOVE this thing! I should probably be less lazy and update my thread HAHA!

What boost controller are you thinking about running? Honestly if I didn't already have the POWER FC boost kit, I'd be looking at the new Greddy Profec unit.

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote