Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #61
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I ordered my fortune's with 12k front and 10k rear. They revalved the dampener for free. Smoothest riding 12k10k car i've ever driven. Very streetable.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #62
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Just curious, but are the DG-5 coils also called the GR+?

Because if not, then where did Stance state that the XR is different than the DG-5?
No, DG-5 are coilovers made/designed by the one and only "Drift King" Keiichi Tsuchiya. More info can be found here.

+1 for Shock Dyno.
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #63
JoshuaLogan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
JoshuaLogan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo240R View Post
No, DG-5 are coilovers made/designed by the one and only "Drift King" Keiichi Tsuchiya. More info can be found here.

+1 for Shock Dyno.
I think he was being sarcastic, dude. We know what the DG-5s are.

The point was it looks like these Stance XRs are a direct ripoff of the DG-5s, at least in appearance. Look at them. They're using swift springs and going for the same appearence. It seems like they're just trying to cash in there on the DG-5 looks in hopes that people will think they will offer the same performance (although we know they won't)...
JoshuaLogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #64
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Actually, from this shock dyno that Stance posted up back in 2008, they ARE quite close to the DG-5 in valving.

As a matter of fact, from that chart, the Stance GR+ has better valving than the DG-5 in terms of velocity below 0.1 m/sec. Not sure whether they plotted the rebound on top or on the bottom (usually they're on the bottom below 0), but on that graph, the dyno on the bottom would also suggest that the Stance has a better curve than the DG-5, if you want a digressive curve, and not one that is over damped.

I can personally say that, on my set of Stance GR+ rear dampers, when I push the shocks down with my hands, it takes more force and takes longer to push down, than for it to expand back to original length, so maybe the dyno graph does suggest there to be way too much compression and not enough rebound.

Also, the reason why I was able to do that, was because I was swapping the 7k springs back out for the 6k springs, and I can say for sure that, the 6k springs are probably what the dampers are valved for, not the 7k springs as Stance said previously, because the car was not bouncy on the 6k springs, but was a bit bouncy on the 7k springs. And if I stiffened up the dampers with the 7k springs, the car just acted like a pogo stick, and bounced and skipped across every irregularity on the road surface, while with the 6k springs, it soaked up the bumps quite well, and is actually much more controllable.

Settings were 7 clicks back towards soft, starting from full hard. I would turn the adjusters all the way to the full hard setting, and then back them up from there, as these dampers do not all have only 15 clicks either way. One had like 16 clicks, and one even had 17 clicks.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #65
240KA
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i like those "racing gear" coilovers. are those the JTC's?
240KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #66
s14freak93901
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
s14freak93901 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just because it has black chasing and swift springs doesn't mean they are knocking off DG5.

who knows...maybe these will be better valved then the DG's. only the dyno will say and someone who has actually tested them.
s14freak93901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #67
Perfect Balance
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Perfect Balance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stance does have pretty decent valving, I remember seeing this graph a long time ago. DG-5 isn't actually that good according to that graph, so I never knew why everyone was on DG-5s nuts, although that's the only shock dyno from them I have seen.

This still doesn't mean that these new Stance coilovers have good valving, it's not the same damper obviously. Like I said, that price is KW, Ohlins, Bilstein, ect, ect, territory. Let's see what they've got.
Perfect Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #68
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Balance View Post
Stance does have pretty decent valving, I remember seeing this graph a long time ago. DG-5 isn't actually that good according to that graph, so I never knew why everyone was on DG-5s nuts, although that's the only shock dyno from them I have seen.
Because DG-5s are designed and valved to the Drift King's specifications yo.

And like all of the D1 guys run them.

(they run them mostly because of politics, but hey, fanbois will say otherwise).
Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #69
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Yeah that racing gear is nice......
Old 12-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #70
s14freak93901
Zilvia Member

if it's free to run...fuck it.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #71
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
I just threw on some Stance GR+ Pro's on my brother's S14 and absolutely love them. Ridden on several different S-chassis with different Stance coilovers and have nothing but good things to say about them.

I really am looking forward to these.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #72
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I had seen a HPI version of DG-5 coilovers in the latest Drift Tengoku magazine. It's interesting to see more companies using the same "line" of coilovers...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #73
anton1o
Zilvia Junkie

anton1o is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to anton1o
Quote:
(they run them mostly because of politics, but hey, fanbois will say otherwise).
oh so so true.

anton1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:42 AM   #74
stricnynel0s
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
stricnynel0s is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i run gr+ pro, and i am far from a pro dirfter, i dont touge every downill offramp on the parkway, but they kick ass for me the stance have been awesome, i rode on silkroads, tein, d2, and kei office, and i still perfer my stance !!
stricnynel0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #75
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
You would think someone would've realized that Tsuchiya would be biased to those running his Suspension. Lol.

Back on topic though, Will Stance be offering Top Hats with Camber and Caster Adjustment anytime soon? I think that's going to be one of the deciding factors when I buy my next set of coils, and I really like the XR.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #76
SoSideways
Post Whore!

They talked about it, and even had a picture of their prototype, but I haven't seen anything else about it.

BTW, their GR+ coilovers are best paired with the 8/6k springs, as the 9/7k springs are a bit too much for the damper to handle, unless you turn the damping rate up, which in turn makes the car bounce like a pogo stick.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #77
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
if they are better than GR+pro then they are def worth the money.

I enjoy my pbms, but i convinced everyone else that i hung with to buy Stance. The GR+(8/6) were alright not super great, but the Pro(10/8) were pretty amazing.

And when you guys are saying too much and too lil rebound/comp what do you mean. From what learned in class and books... More = More resistance or tights ( Takes more force to compress or return, Less = lower resistance so compress easy and return easy.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #78
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Compression is just what it sounds like, when a shock compresses, like when you push down on it.

The higher the force, the more resistance it will have, aka it will be harder to compress the shock.

Rebound deals with when the shock expands after being compressed, and the same applies for the stiffness of the rebounds as it is with the compression.

IIRC, a phenomenon known as jacking occurs when you increase the rebound too much, and it causes the shock to keep shortening and shortening itself after each bump, if you don't give it time to expand.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #79
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Compression is just what it sounds like, when a shock compresses, like when you push down on it.

The higher the force, the more resistance it will have, aka it will be harder to compress the shock.

Rebound deals with when the shock expands after being compressed, and the same applies for the stiffness of the rebounds as it is with the compression.

IIRC, a phenomenon known as jacking occurs when you increase the rebound too much, and it causes the shock to keep shortening and shortening itself after each bump, if you don't give it time to expand.

i see, i dont recall hearing about this.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #80
Pandapants
Zilvia Junkie

Pandapants is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pandapants
After learning about dampers and how to read graphs, I find that old Tengoku graph very interesting. Even more interesting when people say "x" coilovers suck, "y" coilovers are better. I wish PSM offered less ambiguous numbers so I could plot them on a graph and really "see" what I'm "feeling".
Pandapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #81
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Bear in mind that I'm not here to bash any one, any company, or their products with what I am about to say, but just stating my opinion.

Any time you see suspension pieces like coilovers being sold, if the company that sells them refuse to post dyno graphs of their dampers, there's usually a reason for it, and the reason is that the graph will probably show you a pretty crappy linear curve, along with too much compression and not enough rebound.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #82
Perfect Balance
Zilvia Junkie

Perfect Balance is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Bear in mind that I'm not here to bash any one, any company, or their products with what I am about to say, but just stating my opinion.

Any time you see suspension pieces like coilovers being sold, if the company that sells them refuse to post dyno graphs of their dampers, there's usually a reason for it, and the reason is that the graph will probably show you a pretty crappy linear curve, along with too much compression and not enough rebound.
Agreed. Still waiting on a dyno, and I'm sure a lot of other people here are as well.
Perfect Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #83
stockbee
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
stockbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stockbee
I know I still am.
stockbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #84
s14freak93901
Zilvia Member

Quote:

couldn't say it any better. lets see if stance will let him post it. they better for the damn price.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #85
motorsporttc
Leaky Injector

motorsporttc is an unknown quantity at this point
screw the stance I want to find a set of Racing Gear now.....
motorsporttc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #86
SlideOrDie831
Zilvia Member

SlideOrDie831 is an unknown quantity at this point
grave dig or whatever. these are built in the same factory has DG5. just built to stances specs.
SlideOrDie831 is offline   Reply With Quote