Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
1jzkouki

Trader Rating: (0)
1jzkouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1jz E85 requirements?

Hey guys, Ive used Zilvia for a lot of help with my 240 builds and you guys are a lot of help. I just never made an account til now so I'm considering myself new to the community.

Well anyways, I got a S14 with a 1j swap with a few mods and was looking to maybe run E85 to get more power in a few weeks. A few supra buddies of mine said all these things like a separate fuel line that has a valve into the original fuel line and etc etc... And that it requires a standalone and all this other stuff. I was basically wondering if you guys knew what all I would need besides 800+cc injectors. Or atleast point me in the right direction...

Thanks for the help.
1jzkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
slideslidegnarslide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
slideslidegnarslide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=368811&page=11

Look in this thread. A lot of good info. You can do it cheap.
slideslidegnarslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
1jzkouki

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideslidegnarslide View Post
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=368811&page=11

Look in this thread. A lot of good info. You can do it cheap.
Thanks man it helped a little but my main question would be how would I run E85? Just pour it in like normal gas or what? Sorry if I sound noobish im new to E85
Old 03-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jzkouki View Post
Thanks man it helped a little but my main question would be how would I run E85? Just pour it in like normal gas or what? Sorry if I sound noobish im new to E85

Yes, you just empty out your fuel tank from all the pump gas that is in there and you put in E85. It's that easy!

But.... You do need some kind of standalone Ecu (PFC, AEM, Haltech, etc). I think you can even get a ROM TUNE.

Also, you will need BIGGER than normal injectors depending on the turbo you choose.
For example: I have an S15 turbo with PFC, and Tomei 740cc. I can't how ever get the 550cc because E85 requires I believe %40 more fuel.
So Big on the injector size is a for sure.

That's a bout it, just recommend to also have a high flow fuel pump, Auromotive or maybe dual Walbros. Also, need fuel rubber lines.

Best regards
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
New fuel rubber lines, because your lines might be old +15yrs is no bueno
Old 03-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
1jzkouki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboyizmlg View Post
Yes, you just empty out your fuel tank from all the pump gas that is in there and you put in E85. It's that easy!

But.... You do need some kind of standalone Ecu (PFC, AEM, Haltech, etc). I think you can even get a ROM TUNE.

Also, you will need BIGGER than normal injectors depending on the turbo you choose.
For example: I have an S15 turbo with PFC, and Tomei 740cc. I can't how ever get the 550cc because E85 requires I believe %40 more fuel.
So Big on the injector size is a for sure.

That's a bout it, just recommend to also have a high flow fuel pump, Auromotive or maybe dual Walbros. Also, need fuel rubber lines.

Best regards
Well I have An aeromotive a1000 fuel pump e85 rated, Apexi avcr, apexi safc, AEM wideband and the fuel lines but no stand alone. I was probably going to go 1000cc injectors to be safe. Is the electronics ^^^^^ enough for no standalone? Im going to have it tuned to be safe also.

And thanks man
Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Well I have An aeromotive a1000 fuel pump e85 rated, Apexi avcr, apexi safc, AEM wideband and the fuel lines but no stand alone. I was probably going to go 1000cc injectors to be safe. Is the electronics ^^^^^ enough for no standalone? Im going to have it tuned to be safe also.

And thanks man

Sorry the SAFC will not be enough. You HAVE TO get standalone Ecu! That is a must, or a ROM tune maybe RS ENTHALPY can make one for you.

You must also get a Tune if you go standalone, unless you feel comfortable enough to make a Map you're self.

1,000cc injectors is good for like a t3,gt30 series turbo...
What turbo do you plan on using?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #8
1jzkouki

Quote:
Sorry the SAFC will not be enough. You HAVE TO get standalone Ecu! That is a must, or a ROM tune maybe RS ENTHALPY can make one for you.

You must also get a Tune if you go standalone, unless you feel comfortable enough to make a Map you're self.

1,000cc injectors is good for like a t3,gt30 series turbo...
What turbo do you plan on using?
Well i have a Holset Hx35 turbo and ill look into a few standalones i was leaning towards haltech maybe
Old 03-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #9
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

The HX35 turbo is pretty big. I honestly don't know much about that size turbo or what they are rated at.

But You should would speak to a reputable tuner and ask him what size injectors to use with that turbo.

But I would think some thing like RC 1,200 injectors.

Last edited by Dboyizmlg; 03-23-2014 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #10
1jzkouki

Well its about the equivalent of a GT35r. So i may do 1200 not sure. My only probably is the standalone because its not like i got 1800 laying around for an AEM V2 ya know??
Old 03-24-2014, 12:56 AM   #11
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

You can find a used APEX'i PFC for around $600-700!

Gtr-garage always has some, they are in Japan and will take about 2 weeks to arrive.

Pfc will also do the trick.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #12
1jzkouki

Thanks man appreciate all the help! Is the PFC universal or engine specific because the ones on gtr-garage say rb series motors?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Drift_FX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Thanks man appreciate all the help! Is the PFC universal or engine specific because the ones on gtr-garage say rb series motors?
don't get the power fc... if you looking to save money get a rom tune, if you want a standalone get an AEM or even better a haltec..
Drift_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
APEX'i PFC is engine specific so you would need one for 1jz, you can email Kunio for the part request he can give you an ETA on that.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #15
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_FX View Post
don't get the power fc... if you looking to save money get a rom tune, if you want a standalone get an AEM or even better a haltec..

ROM tune would be the best bang for his buck, but the PFC is still a great affordable STANDALONE ECU.

Aem EMS, and Haltech are way better because they offer way much more options. But the PFC can do the job also.

Keep in mind that ROM tune is set tune, so you will need to send it out to get a re flash tune if you ever do more upgrades in the future.

Cheapest = ROM tune

Cheap = PFC

Not so cheap = AEM, Haltech
Old 03-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #16
1jzkouki

Where would I be able to find a decently priced AEM standalone at?
Old 03-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #17
LMFC
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
LMFC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just your eyes open for a good deal. I just picked up a series 1 aem for my rb25 for $550.
LMFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #18
1jzkouki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFC View Post
Just your eyes open for a good deal. I just picked up a series 1 aem for my rb25 for $550.
Thats not bad but thats also a series 1 theyre discontinued I thought?
Old 03-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #19
LMFC
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
LMFC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Right. I bought it used. You're certainly not going to find a new standalone for that money.
LMFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #20
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
ROM tune would be the best bang for his buck, but the PFC is still a great affordable STANDALONE ECU.

Aem EMS, and Haltech are way better because they offer way much more options. But the PFC can do the job also.

Keep in mind that ROM tune is set tune, so you will need to send it out to get a re flash tune if you ever do more upgrades in the future.

Cheapest = ROM tune

Cheap = PFC

Not so cheap = AEM, Haltech
It's not that difficult to burn modified stock ROMs, although most people suck at them because they don't know anything about tuning (same goes for changing shit in a standalone - just easier there).
Old 03-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #21
1jzkouki

PFC is still almost the same price as AEM maybe not haltech but AEM and Apexi are about the same price
Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #22
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

AEM is would be the better choice because it offers more than the Pfc.
If you could find them for about the same price then I encourage you to go AEM.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #23
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
hey, you can get a 1jz aem brand new and with a 1jz basemap for $1,400.00 shipped. www.driftmotion.com I just brought one myself(ask me how I know)

supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #24
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
you do not want a rom-tune for E85 because it must be tuned on a dyno for best mean brake torque in real time.