Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
Xicor01
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Xicor01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Has the art of haggling been forgotten.

I have tried to sell to numerous people on this website before and i admit it there are a few who this does not apply too, yet i have met some who have probably never herd the word haggle. It is my understanding that you offer someone something lower than their asking price, then they counter offer with something lower than their original but higher than yours, which leads to the final offer some where in between. it seems as though someone makes an offer and if you say anything but " yes sir, on the way to usps sir" they ignore you for all of eternity. As though the thought of paying 10 dollars more when they are saving hundreds makes then no longer want whatever it may be. Has anyone else experienced this, or am i the only one fortunate enough?
Xicor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
rich280zx

Trader Rating: (0)
rich280zx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
240sx owners are cheap as shit and normally broke as 18-20yr olds.
rich280zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
J3123MY
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
J3123MY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
lol only dumb asses don't haggle. Don't worry its not forgotten, your tripping.
J3123MY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
My other favorite, as learned on Craigslist, is "what's the lowest you will take?"

The problem is the fact that the internet has ruined interpersonal communication and no one has any actual social skills. Some of us came up in a time where you LITERALLY had to get up and go places to buy things, and the negotiation was done face to face. Eventually, neither party will give in to having wasted their time and a deal will be made.

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
BoredEE
Leaky Injector

BoredEE is an unknown quantity at this point
I also love the people that get personally offended when you give a low ball or the special ones where you give them a reasonable offer and still get offended.

Its all part of the haggling, not meant as an insult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
My other favorite, as learned on Craigslist, is "what's the lowest you will take?"
I love that "trend" its like asking a poker player to show his hand.

To the OP some of the people buying might just not really need the parts. I will give an offer for parts and if its not met I don't bother replying since I don't need the part.
BoredEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
savannaae
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
savannaae has much to be proud ofsavannaae has much to be proud ofsavannaae has much to be proud ofsavannaae has much to be proud ofsavannaae has much to be proud ofsavannaae has much to be proud ofsavannaae has much to be proud ofsavannaae has much to be proud ofsavannaae has much to be proud ofsavannaae has much to be proud ofsavannaae has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Exclamation

Quote:

The problem is the fact that the internet has ruined interpersonal communication and no one has any actual social skills. Some of us came up in a time where you LITERALLY had to get up and go places to buy things, and the negotiation was done face to face. Eventually, neither party will give in to having wasted their time and a deal will be made.
THIS.

I always answer with "You're welcome to make an offer. The worst I can say is no."
Old 06-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
The art of haggling is a man's sport. Low balling is for kids. I recently went to Jared jewlers... Spent 4 hours there haggling away. At the end, I walked out with a 14k white gold setting with a Vss 1 - 3/4 carat levian chocolate diamond..... And a tissot watch for myself.

Took the guy down from 5800 to 4600 out the door! I'll post a pic of what u got in a bit. Sometimes I just haggle to see if I can break a seller down , just to see if I can do it.lol.
EnemyS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Xicor01
Zilvia Member

Xicor01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Must be a sport of man indeed. I completely agree that the Internet has stripped the personal connection that buyer and seller had at one point. I had no idea you could do that at department stores such as jarad. I know in china you haggle any time you need to spend money. In fact if you don't the seller takes it offensively and feels no regrets having you spend upwards of 3 times the price. In all my sales I actually put an "idiots price" for those that don't haggle but normally will except an offer 20-100 dollars less to make the buyer feel good about saving.
Xicor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
whitey240
Zilvia Member

whitey240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Trying to sell my car has made me really question the shape of humanity and business moving forward. I have had multiple people make me an offer, i accept, and then they come up with 10 reasons why they can't accept the offer all of the sudden then come back with a offer lower then I originally accepted. I thought once you come to an agreement it was just that... an agreement.

The people that want videos and pictures with todays newspapers are classic too. If you want me to jump through hoops I will if you are actually going to buy the car. I had one guy want all of this stuff because he was in Chicago. I told him I would fly him here on my dime to go for a ride and check it out. All the sudden he was not the big buyer he was before hand.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
sil80owner
Zilvia Junkie

sil80owner is an unknown quantity at this point
"What's the lowest you will take" always makes me laugh. Also there is not much hassling going on in this forum. Like previously stated there are a lot of broke kids on here. There is a difference between trolls offering 2k for a 5k value car. Maybe offer couple hundreds off original price then go test drive it and then make a real offer and haggle away. I won't reply to ridiculous offers. See the car first then we can talk.
sil80owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Haggling is for gypsies and third world bazaars.
Just give me a price you will be willing to take. Do not waste my time.

I am reminded of the show Pawn Stars, where they will lower the offer by thousand-dollar increments with one person, while with the next person they argue over a ten-dollar difference and act is if it would break them. To haggle is pathetic, and whatever money is saved is paid for by dignity.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
Duke89
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Duke89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ill be honest iv seen some deals I don't bother haggling because I know I'm getting a good deal. But at most of the time I try at least get a little cheaper if not 10-20$. And I don't respond to the what's the lowest you'll take
Duke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
J3123MY
BANNED

J3123MY is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I have had multiple people make me an offer, i accept, and then they come up with 10 reasons why they can't accept the offer all of the sudden then come back with a offer lower then I originally accepted. I thought once you come to an agreement it was just that... an agreement.
Yea renegotiation is bull shit, its like breaking the rules of haggling. I don't even deal with people who do that bull shit and I never pull that kind of bs.

What's also fun is when some workers won't do what you want.

for example I went to exchange my husky 3/8 ratchet that I broke through too much torque and they did not have any in stock. So the guy said get something close so I got a 1/2 ratchet and some customer service manager bitch didn't want to do the exchange. She said that it wasn't the same item so she did not see why she had to exchange it. I told her that it was part of customer service and that I was the one settling with them as they did not have my item in stock. After just staying there and bugging her, she asked someone else and they told her to do it.

And I always do this shit with fucking mcdonalds cause they only give out one sauce. What kind of bull shit is that? I just stay there and pester them till they give in and give me all the sauces I want. Sometimes I don't even want the sauces and just pester them because they denied me in the first place.

If you just stay there and pester someone, they will eventually do what you want as long as you show reason and a good attitude.
J3123MY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Ha this story just happened to me this weekend.-

So I was selling a 350z door we agreed on a price of 200 2 weeks ago. He was going to come last week but couldn't cause he was busy. He tells me please dont sell it i really want it, I'm 100% sure. So ok, I hold it for him.

Then this sunday he was coming to get it but tells me if i can lower the price. At this point i get pissed since he made me hold it for 2weeks and we agreed on the price of 200 already, But whatever i tell him 170 is the best i can do. He then tells me 120, let me know I can be there at 1.

Fuck that dude. I should have told him to come get it and give him the wrong address.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
AFSil80
Zilvia Addict

AFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to AFSil80 Send a message via MSN to AFSil80
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post

So I was selling a 350z door we agreed on a price of 200 2 weeks ago. He was going to come last week but couldn't cause he was busy. He tells me please dont sell it i really want it, I'm 100% sure. So ok, I hold it for him.

Then this sunday he was coming to get it but tells me if i can lower the price. At this point i get pissed since he made me hold it for 2weeks and we agreed on the price of 200 already, But whatever i tell him 170 is the best i can do. He then tells me 120, let me know I can be there at 1.

Fuck that dude. I should have told him to come get it and give him the wrong address.
This is why I always tell people that I won't hold items. Whoever gets to me with the money first gets the prize.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
Rich260z
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Rich260z is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I only hold things with a non refundable deposit, like $10 or something
Rich260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
ghoti
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
ghoti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:

The problem is the fact that the internet has ruined interpersonal communication and no one has any actual social skills...
Most people that I have met that say that are just either flat broke and/or socially awkward. Like you said no social skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post

I just won't even reply hate when people waste my time with this shit. We come to an agreement and try to lowball afterwards by inserting "It's a long drive". That's why I'm selling it to you for cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSil80 View Post
This is why I always tell people that I won't hold items. Whoever gets to me with the money first gets the prize.
I was on the other side of this situation. The dude lived 45 miles away, we came to an agreement on price and that I would pick up as soon as I get back from work. I'm at the gas station filling up and text him that I'm about to head out his way. Texts me back 2min later "I sold them 15min away". ಠ_ಠ
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #18
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Well no one else came with money so its not like I lost a sale somewhere else. I never hold parts i just tell people to leave deposit if they really want it.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #19
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
haha, the way i see it is, im not buying from a private seller unless it is cheap, even if it's "bnib". 3/4 of original price at least, if not it's just not worth it and i just save the extra buck to buy it new. It's a private seller and if something is wrong/broken chances are you're not getting your money back and if you do, it'll be a hassle... So yeah, i haggle and many times it starts with a lowball. Same thing when dealing in person, but depending on how far the drive is sometimes i'll do it on the phone before wasting my gas.
Now, if the price is ridiculously low, then i just meet the asking price haha.
About holding stuff, that's a big no. U want something so bad? Leave work or borrow some money from your sister....
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
greatwhitebuffalo

greatwhitebuffalo is an unknown quantity at this point
I always pay asking price. Unless it's a friend who owes me a favor.
greatwhitebuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote