Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
fyneyoungstunna
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
fyneyoungstunna is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
natural gas engined

I was talking with a client about this last night.
I am ignorant to the subject but am curious.
Any of you guys done research or converted?
It seems like there are a lot of legal hurtles placed to keep the average consumer from converting (see keeping petrol as the king)

Talk about it.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
There are actually a few that you could buy that ran on cng. Dont really see many of them. Some government offices used to use them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Problem with cng is its already about the same price as gasoline and it's hard to find cng refueling stations. Also while it may be a little cleaner than gasoline cng is still a fossil fuel and does put out harmful emissions when burned.

Hydrogen is the way to go as far as clean fuel goes. Only problem is producing and containing it on a large scale for people to use.

But I know there are cng civics produced from the factory and conversion kits if you're really interested.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
Problem with cng is its already about the same price as gasoline and it's hard to find cng refueling stations. Also while it may be a little cleaner than gasoline cng is still a fossil fuel and does put out harmful emissions when burned.

Hydrogen is the way to go as far as clean fuel goes. Only problem is producing and containing it on a large scale for people to use.

But I know there are cng civics produced from the factory and conversion kits if you're really interested.
This is not completely true CNG is actually very clean. The whole LA transit system runs on it, all the buses . I should add we have strict emission standards so its big deal to run very clean burning fuel. Only reason prices are close to gasoline prices is because there is not enough production of it. We have the supplies we increase production and the price drops its called supply side economics.

Hydrogen has serious containment issues large or small because it is a small atom which can pass through a lot of materials so leakage is a problem.

We have Natural Gas in abundance here in the U.S. production and use of it in automobiles would be very prudent. It would severely cut down our dependance of Foreign oil cut down emissions and help our economy.
Cutting down on dependance on oil from the Middle east would also help ease tensions for us on the geopolitical stage as we would not be so concerned or involved with stuff over there as well.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
This is not completely true CNG is actually very clean.
^read up....It's still a fossil fuel and harmful to some extent Methane Emissions | Climate Change | US EPA

"Methane is the primary component of natural gas. Some CH4 is emitted to the atmosphere during the production, processing, storage, transmission, and distribution of natural gas."

"Pound for pound, the comparative impact of CH4 on climate change is over 20 times greater than CO2 over a 100-year period."

I stand by my statement...hydrogen is the way to go. Nothing but water vapor for emissions. The technology is getting there... just a matter of time.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Until the entire country is ready to switch to a new energy source, any form of alternative power will just be a niche market, and thus inconvenient. Switching to a whole new energy infrastructure would be an enormous and costly undertaking, thus the projected benefits would have to far outweigh the initial costs for any government to go along with it.

That being said, petrol is here to stay at least for another fifty or hundred years, especially since petrol engines only keep getting more efficient, and it is still the best bang for the buck.

There has also been great progress in electric car development, especially with the recent lithium-air battery research. Though even if electric passenger cars start catching on, the technology is not yet at the point of being able to conveniently power larger vehicles such as trucks.

Hydrogen at the moment is still costly to produce, store, and transport. Not to mention liquid hydrogen is quite heavy and not yet all that efficient as far as power output per unit goes.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
abundance... but, I've been hearing fracking on the npr/news for months now.
for the cons...I don't like it at all. just keep it as far away from my water source or my state.

NGE is a great alternative but, acquiring cng. ehhh. on our own soil. no thanks.

but, i won't lose hope. Could An 'Artificial Leaf' Fuel Your Car? | KQED Public Media for Northern CA

Reinventing the Leaf: Artificial Photosynthesis to Create Clean Fuel, Made Interactive: Scientific American

we need more alien technology.!
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
silnv
Zilvia FREAK!

silnv is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to silnv
I have looked into CNG a fair amount. I have a gas well on my property and looked into getting either a CNG conversion kit for my truck, or buying a vehicle that is already CNG compatible. The problem for me is I would need to spend between 6-10k on a compressor. The fuel cells are pressurized to about 2000psi so a conventional compressor will not work.

On that note, my uncle went out to Oklahoma and purchased (from a surplus sale) a full size Chevrolet pick-up that was set up for CNG. Then used some hillbilly ingenuity and created a series of compressors and storage tanks to fill his vehicle. He said he has been getting about 350 miles per tank. He also said he did not notice much power loss.

For those of you who who think natural gas is harmful, I burn open flame gas log and wall burners in my house all winter. As do many people I know, we are all still alive.

And please do not get your information on fracking from NPR.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
I don't gather info with just one source.

But, what stuck to me the most are the residence who were effected.
Kqed had some great insight to those ppl.

Is Fracking Safe? The Top 10 Myths About Natural Gas Drilling - Popular Mechanics
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I work for Chesapeake Energy producing natural gas on wells here in east Texas and Louisiana. My company vehicle is converted to it, it's 1.27ga and I get the exact same mpg as any other fuel. I don't see any bad or terrible emissions released into the atmosphere from it. Its a clean energy source imo. Cheaper and more abundant than oil is. I could go into detail on where it comes from, how it's extracted from shale, etc. But it would bore most of you.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
fyneyoungstunna
Zilvia Addict

fyneyoungstunna is an unknown quantity at this point
Slideways. Please do bore me. I need brainfood today. Pm it to me if its too long for this thread.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #12
wawazat8402
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (14)
wawazat8402 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wawazat8402
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiDe_WaYz View Post
I work for Chesapeake Energy producing natural gas on wells here in east Texas and Louisiana. My company vehicle is converted to it, it's 1.27ga and I get the exact same mpg as any other fuel. I don't see any bad or terrible emissions released into the atmosphere from it. Its a clean energy source imo. Cheaper and more abundant than oil is. I could go into detail on where it comes from, how it's extracted from shale, etc. But it would bore most of you.
Thats the price we see here in OKC as well. I guess other states on the coast are paying more due to fewer refill stations. Also, it would be nice to convert just to not have to scrub carbon buildup off my muffler/bumper anymore haha.

I work for Access Midstream btw, so we probably work with the some of the same people.
wawazat8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #13
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyneyoungstunna View Post
Slideways. Please do bore me. I need brainfood today. Pm it to me if its too long for this thread.
Well.... How it works on the Haynesville Shale;

1. Drill to 10,700ft lateral, then kick off and drill to 16-18,000ft horizontal. Run casing string, cement, pressure test, cap off.

2. Bring in coil tubing and clean the well bore (casing string) to prepare it to be frac'd.

3. The well is frac'd, pumping sand, chemicals, explosive down the hole and detonating it which then extracts the shale and releases the natural gas that's inside of the shale.

4. Produce the well. Pipeline it into production plants, etc.

I mean there's ALOT more detail on how it works. I've worked on a drilling rig itself for 4 years. Now I'm a production hand, I drive around and check meters to make sure the wells are producing,how much they are producing, what there flow is, etc. That's just the basics on how it works.

Step 2 is usually only used on old wells, or wells with alot of downhole gas built up.

When CNG is sent to the plants it's cleaned and broken down. Its so much cleaner than gasoline. It releases less emissions into the atmosphere as well. Its just a more abundant and cleaner energy source.

Take the Haynesville for example. There's enough natural gas in the shale here to support the entire united states for over 100 years. Pennsylvania is the same way. Even South Texas. West Texas and North Dakota is where they mostly drill for just oil, as well as offshore.

I know 90% of this forum lives in socal or the eastern seaboard so they probably have no clue about anything oil related.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #14
silnv
Zilvia FREAK!

silnv is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to silnv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiDe_WaYz View Post
I know 90% of this forum lives in socal or the eastern seaboard so they probably have no clue about anything oil related.
I'm in the middle of Utica/Marcellus country. I am excited to see what all we could do when the infrastructure is completed.