Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
hehaha

Trader Rating: (0)
hehaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
clutch pedal sticking & disengaged engine

Last night, I drove 4 hours continuously without a hitch in my 1995 240sx. I then went to parallel park and my clutch pedal stuck to the floor. It did not stall my engine, so the clutch must have disengaged the engine from the transmission. I stuck my foot under the foot pedal and pulled it back up. I then was able to push the clutch back in and park my car. This morning, I started my engine up without a problem, and was able to put my car into gear. I then drove down the street and needed to stop, so I put my clutch in with the brake. At this point, the clutch engaged (engine disengaged from the transmission), but the clutch pedal did not come back up and the clutch pedal would not go back up when I pulled on it....
What do you guys think the problem is? I have looked around, and it seems to have symptoms of the master/slave cylinders failing, to the spring assist, to the throw out bearing.
Thanks for the help in advance!!
hehaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
reallygood101
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (27)
reallygood101 will become famous soon enoughreallygood101 will become famous soon enoughreallygood101 will become famous soon enoughreallygood101 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
man i had the exact same problem with my supra but i wish i could help you i just did a 6speed conversion with new everything so sorry i cant be no help.
reallygood101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
Mine does that every now and then. I just keep lifting it up with my foot...
Old 10-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
A Spec Products
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
A Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to A Spec Products
Probably clutch master

If it is, I'd change the slave same time assuming you've never replaced it since you owned it

A SPEC PRODUCTS CORP
AME Wheels, Advan, ARC, Gram Lights, Nardi, Personal, Recaro, Works Bell, Work Wheels, Volk Racing, 5Zigen, & more!
626.618.1100 x 103 / aim: aspectuan
Advertiser's Specials! Read / Give Feedback! Please Rate Us!
A Spec Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Kamburrito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (25)
Kamburrito is close to perfectionKamburrito is close to perfectionKamburrito is close to perfectionKamburrito is close to perfectionKamburrito is close to perfectionKamburrito is close to perfectionKamburrito is close to perfectionKamburrito is close to perfectionKamburrito is close to perfectionKamburrito is close to perfectionKamburrito is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kamburrito
change your clutch master and slave .. because once the master cylinder goes out .. your slave is going right after it .. or vice versa .. change those two items and bleed your clutch system.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
hehaha

Thank you all for your help. I checked the reservoir and it's empty, so there is definitely a leak in either the master or slave cylinder. I have never changed either one before. Between the master and the slave, there one that is more prominent in failing first?

It always seems that cars do that. When one part fails, it seems to stress the rest of the system, and other parts of that system seem to go bad... or is it just me that it happens to?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
imnotmatt1189
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
imnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
that happened with my 240. i just filled the reservoir with brake fluid and it usually lasted me like 2 weeks before i would have to fill it again. but after awhile i would have to fill it twice a week so i got tired of doing that and i finally had my mechanic replace the clutch master and slave cylinders.
imnotmatt1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:35 AM   #8
FRoSt415
Zilvia Junkie

FRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to FRoSt415
Check CLutch MAster Clylinder(CMC)
Check Slave Cylinder
Look for fluid leakeage have someone pump the clutch while checking.
Wrote alot but pressed back and lost it PM if you have any questions

FRoSt415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
hehaha

Frost415,
Thanks for the pics. The pics will make it much easier to find the Clutch Master and Slave cylinders. I poured some brake oil in the reservoir this morning and started pumping.... I got enough pressure built up to get the car started. I'm pretty sure there is air in the line, because when i press the clutch in, it feel like its a "wet noodle" now until the very end of the depression, where it finally engages the slip point. There isn't much of a tolerance for the slip point... Its almost at the bottom of the floor.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #10
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You are going to at least have to re bleed if you are pumping air.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
MudRacer
Zilvia Addict

MudRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
You are going to at least have to re bleed if you are pumping air.
+1 yup you do
Old 10-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
ChicagoS14
Zilvia Addict

ChicagoS14 is making a name for him/her selfChicagoS14 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoS14
One of your points in the system aka slave or master or both are going out. I personally would change both out, eliminate the dampener loop, get a speed bleeder for the slave and a stainless steel line, then bleed it, really easy with above parts and call it a day and enjoy your new pedal feel!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
hehaha

What is a speed bleeder? Are the hydrualic lines running through the car stainless? I know they don't really rust, but I didn't think they were stainless.

I was thinking of getting some rubber tubing from Autozone to bleed the hydraulic line.... should I use something else?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #14
Addicted2Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Addicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Speed bleeder helps you bleed with just one person.
The stainless line he is talking about is braided stainless.

You can use whatever tubing, but I like clear tubing because you can actually SEE the bubbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer View Post
zenki's are for poors and lames

with the exception of norm who is big ballin
FS:CUSCO,GREDDY,KA-Tparts
Addicted2Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote