Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Marketplace > Group Buys

Group Buys Dedicated Forum for Group Buys.

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quest Alternator Upgrade!! Bolt on Bracket for SR20 Owners! 40amp upgrade over stock!

Need more Amps for you SR20? Bolt on 125 Amp Quest Alternator to your SR20!

Finally, a bolt on big alternator conversion kit for the SR20 crowd!

Anyone running a larger electrical system load realizes how strained the OE alternator (85 amp) really is once you begin to add more and more items to your car. With most cars having electric fans, larger electric fuel pumps, water injection pumps, sound systems, HID lighting, etc etv (or combinations of them), it's safe to say that at normal operation, the factory alternator is not keeping up with demand.

In fact on some cars, it's obvious in logged files that even at WOT, not enough juice is being generated, thus causing less power to be sent to coilpacks, the fuel pumps and those systems...really compromising a well built system.

Because of this issue, and because of me looking at a few voltage logs, I decided to make an adapter kit that allows you to bolt up a Quest Alternator (or Mercury Villager with the VQ), from 1996 to 2001 to your car without issue! All local rebuild shops said that the OEM SR20 one was not able to be rebuilt to a higher output, so this was the perfect solution.

All of the factory plugs remain the same, the pulleys line up perfectly, and the only modification needed is SLIGHTLY drilling out the two lower holes to accept the marginally thicker SR20 lower alternator bolt to work (any basic drill kit will have the right size). You also will need to remove the 2 10mm headed bolts and the OE tensioner for this to work..super easy!

My kits come with brand new grade 8 hardware and stainless bolts, machined aluminum adjuster, quality rod ends, and a brand new belt to work with the system

AFTERMARKET SR20 PULLEYS WILL WORK WITH THIS SETUP AS WELL

Pricing:
50 Dollars Shipped/Paypalled without belt
75 Dollars Shipped/Paypalled with belt

Payment:
Email me at [email protected]
or
PM Me at anytime on here.

I prefer to use email, but PM works. I like to establish communication before transaction, just to make sure all is well and setup correctly. Call me oldschool, but I like talking to my customers

Pictures:

Picture as installed on my car with modified hoses:

Picture as installed on om1kron/Waynes car with stock hoses:

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
whitepony22
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
whitepony22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I just want to make sure I'm looking at this right, and understand it. You take the factory alternator bracket, drill a hole in it, and put your supplied bolt through it for your bracket and that's it other than take the old now unused adjustment bracket off? I mean I know it seems quite simple hence why I'm asking.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
thurman548
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
thurman548 is making a name for him/her selfthurman548 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thanks Cody well worth the money for the bracket. THe belt by itself is about $15.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepony22 View Post
I just want to make sure I'm looking at this right, and understand it. You take the factory alternator bracket, drill a hole in it, and put your supplied bolt through it for your bracket and that's it other than take the old now unused adjustment bracket off? I mean I know it seems quite simple hence why I'm asking.
You drill the hole in the alternator where the threaded screw hole is that would normally hold the alternator. supplied bolt slides right through. you remove the original equipment upper adjustment bracket which I think was a 12 or 14 bolt comes right off and put cody ace adjustable bracket in place. It was a butter smooth operation.

Plus the alternator I got was pretty damn cheap. I did the whole upgrade for 150 bucks roughly and I couldn't be happier.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Ah I did forget to mentiont hat, thanks for bring it up Wayne!

You can purchase the alternators off ebay from any reputable source, including wrecking yards! I got one from a yard that offered a year warranty on it, for 50 shipped to my door! Crazy! Considering an SR20 alternator itself often costs that much, I figured why not try to make a nice upgrade for the 240 guys!

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
whitepony22
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
You drill the hole in the alternator where the threaded screw hole is that would normally hold the alternator. supplied bolt slides right through. you remove the original equipment upper adjustment bracket which I think was a 12 or 14 bolt comes right off and put cody ace adjustable bracket in place. It was a butter smooth operation.

Plus the alternator I got was pretty damn cheap. I did the whole upgrade for 150 bucks roughly and I couldn't be happier.
Thanks for clearing that up for me man. Can't wait to get one of these.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
We can use the SR pulley with this? Or do we have to use the Quest? I have an aluminum pulley now.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
codyace
Post Whore!

As of tonight I do not have a 100% answer.

Tomorrow morning I'll measure both center shafts to see if they are the same size. Thanks for asking, as it's certainly good information to have.

Edit 2:

Doing a quick search on the forums and google, I discovered that:

KA pulleys will fit on the Quest Alternator, but will rub the case. Because of this, the KA guys use the smaller ribbed belt witout issue
KA alternators will fit on the SR20, if you swap the pulleys.

So while I will still measure, I would assume (from the above information) that SR pulleys will easily interchange, as if the KA pully fits the quest alternator, and the SR and KA pulleys are interchangable.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
whitepony22
Zilvia Member

I checked on this myself since just placing an order for one when I saw this. I don't know if the alternator off a B13 Sentra SR20 would be the same as the rwd version, but off Courtesyparts, both the Quest and Sentra use the same pulley. So I'm assuming it'd be similar, if not the same for the rwd version of the SR20.

If anyone knows how to find the pulley part number for the JDM SR20 motor the Quest part number is 23150 to see if they are the same dimensions.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
rics*project*s13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (33)
rics*project*s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
nice upgrade, will b getting one soon
Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
We can use the SR pulley with this? Or do we have to use the Quest? I have an aluminum pulley now.
As you can see in the second picture, I never changed the pulley on the alternator. I ended up using my old belt instead of the new one that was included with the relocation bracket. I think something caused the measurement of a new belt to be slightly different in my and cody's case.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #12
codyace
Post Whore!

Well good news!

SR and Quest pulleys are interchangable!

The difference is in diameter of the two:
The Quest pulley measures roughly 2 1/2" in diameter, versus the Stock SR which is roughly 2 7/8" in diameter.

So with that said, using aftermarket aluminum pulleys is totally possible, however I do not have the belt measurement for them at the moment. I will work on that issue over the weekend so I can offer belts for both setups.

As for now thogh, if you do have an aftermarket pulley, I will sell the kit without the belt, for 50 dollars shipped.

-Cody Ace

Old 10-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (81)
Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
anyone know of the equivalent "Quest" alternator in japan? What engine is this from?
Old 10-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2slide View Post
anyone know of the equivalent "Quest" alternator in japan? What engine is this from?
The engine is a vg30de, and then after 1999 became the vg33de. Mercury Villager use the same engines (unsure as to if they are even in japan)

I found my Alternator off ebay, may be worth a shot. If you'd like me to source you one I can get you new or used.

FWIW: Unsure if 300zx ones are the same.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
so i take it this wont work for KA's... fuck man, no one ever has cool stuff for ka's
Old 11-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #16
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
If you'd like me to source you one I can get you new or used.
That would be tanfastic...what would be the total damage? I probably might want to get two, to have one as a backup. Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #17
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
The engine is a vg30de, and then after 1999 became the vg33de. Mercury Villager use the same engines (unsure as to if they are even in japan)

I found my Alternator off ebay, may be worth a shot. If you'd like me to source you one I can get you new or used.

FWIW: Unsure if 300zx ones are the same.
VG30E and VG33E, SOHC not the DOHC.

VG30E from the U11, and early J30 Maximas, z31 300ZX and the Cedric/Gloria is the same motor.

Looked it up and the Quest has a unique location for the adjuster location. The Maxima and z31 location is noon and six for the adjuster and pivot mounts. The Quest is 2 and 6. I don't know the Cedric Gloria mounts are.

Also, the Maxima/z31 seem to be 80/90 amp alts not 125s. Some of the Quest replacements are only 110. So, be sure to check the specs before buying.

Quest:

Maxima/z31:
Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #18
SR240Z84

Trader Rating: (0)
SR240Z84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In all honesty, would I need to do this if my car is just a simple SR20 making like 300HP? I don't have HID's and I don't have any stereo system . . . . just wondering is all
Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #19
199240sxcoupe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
199240sxcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR240Z84 View Post
In all honesty, would I need to do this if my car is just a simple SR20 making like 300HP? I don't have HID's and I don't have any stereo system . . . . just wondering is all
doesnr hurt..i did it on my stock ka...just because i got a good deal on it lol
Old 11-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #20
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
so i take it this wont work for KA's... fuck man, no one ever has cool stuff for ka's
KA's actually luck out on this one, as it's a bolt on affair for you guys! Lucky lucky! Google 'quest alternator on ka24' for some guides

I'd love to sell ya one, but you don't need it hehe Tell your SR buddies though!

Quote:
That would be tanfastic...what would be the total damage? I probably might want to get two, to have one as a backup. Please let me know. Thanks.
I'll check here in a bit and PM you back. Do you prefer new or used from ebay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
VG30E and VG33E, SOHC not the DOHC.
Ahhh I did overlook that! Cheers! Beers on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR240Z84 View Post
Well, the answer to this is two fold.

One the front, the honest answer: No it's probably not needed. With simple setups, the factory alternator is (as designed at the factory) equipped well enough to do the job.

HOWEVER in the same respect, it may be worthwhile to check or log your car in the upper rev range under load to see if it's putting out the correct voltage.

Now if you have a bad alternator, and are replacing one, to me it would be a worthwhile consideration to upgrade. You can find alternators used and on ebay fairly cheap (if not for less than what people are asking for old SR20 ones), and the kit is not much more on top, plus it comes with a new belt (25 dollars cost give or take) as well. To me, it's worthwhile to go with a much newer alternator at that point than to put another, much older, one on.

So again, the truth is: No you probably don't. It's not going to hurt anything, and is a nice viable option in the event your SR one is on the way out Much like I said to the KA guy, I'd love to just say 'yes you need one' but the truth is that would be a lie hehe. Just lookin out for ya!

Old 11-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #21
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Code, new or used depends on the price. Can you get me some quotes if you have free time? Thanks!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #22
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Code, new or used depends on the price. Can you get me some quotes if you have free time? Thanks!
Replied!

And my offer extendds to anyone unable to buy from ebay, or find one...I'll source you an alternator and ship it to you if needed! Just cover the shipping and it's yours!

Old 11-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #23
Wave_s13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (7)
Wave_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Could you quote me price shipped to Canada V5T 2C6 without belt (aftermarket pulley) and with new/used alternator?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #24
codyace
Post Whore!

Certainly, I'll check ebay here in a minute and shoot you a price without belt.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #25
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
wayne is my hero.
it was his birthday last week.
don't we all think he should buy me this brackets?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #26
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
wayne is my hero.
it was his birthday last week.
don't we all think he should buy me this brackets?
I thought the rasterbation I sent you in the mail of my balls was a gift well worth a mountain of gold in your eyes, I see it wasn't.

HMPH!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #27
Future_gohan
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Future_gohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You should send me one so i can see if it'll work for a ka. lol but good luck this is a good idea! I know my car at night with HID's fans and stuff at idle my alt. doesn't work very well.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #28
sr-20
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
sr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Do you have a kit for the KA24DE? I have the alternator on my KA and the belt doesn't line up correctly. The belt is at an angle.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #29
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr-20 View Post
Do you have a kit for the KA24DE? I have the alternator on my KA and the belt doesn't line up correctly. The belt is at an angle.
Quote:
KA's actually luck out on this one, as it's a bolt on affair for you guys! Lucky lucky! Google 'quest alternator on ka24' for some guides
It's pays to read the thread.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #30
sr-20
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
sr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymoresr-20 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
it is not a bolt on affair. The belt doesn't line up because of the alternator bracket. The bracket sits at an angle which makes the belt sit at an angle. The alternator bolts on to the bracket but the bracket doesn't sit the same as the KA alternator
Closed Thread