Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
chato de shamrock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
chato de shamrock is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tax break for fixing our 240s?

Any of you guys out there have some knowledge on taxes?

My boss handed out 1099s this past tax season instead of the regular W2s. The city caught on and I was forced to file business taxes cause i fall under the description of working for myself, or independent worker/contractor. Because of this I can report certain expenses such as gas and my lunch food as a business expense and get some sort of tax break on next years tax season. At this moment, and likely for the remainder of this year, I'm going to daily drive my 240. I had plans to do some work on the car. Just last month I bought some coilovers and plan to make a few other expenses (RUCAs, tension & traction rods, wheels, etc) later this year. Anyone know if coilovers, wheels, tires, toes, RUCAs, etc. purchases would fall under the category of business expenses since i'm using my 240 in my work? OR would only certain things qualify such as wheels and tires since they might be a part of maintenance to the car?

By the way, I'm from So. California. I'm not sure if things vary by city and/or state.
chato de shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
NismOkatFreaK
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (7)
NismOkatFreaK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Be careful with a 1099's man, you will have to pay a certain amount at the end of the year.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
How would upgrades be a business expense?
Old 05-31-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
DataXUnknown
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (30)
DataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfectionDataXUnknown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
I only think OEM replacements would be considered if anything..
DataXUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
chato de shamrock
Zilvia Junkie

Ya i'm extra careful with the 1099s. I make sure Uncle Sam is the one writing checks come tax time.

Zar, ya to many of us on here SPL, Stance, PBM and even Isis and Megan would be considered upgrades, but what constitutes as an upgrade to the govt? Is it anything thats not OEM regardless of it being some baller brand or some ebay cheap-oh? If thats the case then DataX's is on the right track with his comment. Can anyone confirm or correct us?
Old 05-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
You can write off milage or you can create a detailed diary of the expenses. Choose one.

And if all you have are receipts that shows upgrades and the IRS audits you, then you are going to be in a world of explaining.

You can't really write mods off unless it is business related. Say you are some sort of park security in the woods, it would probably be be required to have a winch/skid guard.

I would suggest to just save up your money, because what you want to do is essentially illegal.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Sterlz
Zilvia Member

Sterlz is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with Zar. It IS illegal and you can probably only get away with recording the mileage. But even that they might not acknowledge
Sterlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
JDMSTYLE
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
JDMSTYLE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
yea i would save the money and hassle. this is why most businesses lease cars to drive.
JDMSTYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
you can only do mileage and or upgrades if you actually use the car for business. I.E. actual sales calls and whatnot. Traveling to work and from work does not technically count. Oh and mileage deductions really suck balls these days. Unless you drive an insane amount the general deduction you are allowed usually beats out a mileage deduction.

Oh and if you really make money and want to show you really make money? So that you are eligible to buy houses and whatnot? Then you will wind up paying the IRS when it comes to 1099's. You really can't get around it. The only way you don't pay is to show a loss or pretty much break even on paper.
It's sucks but its true, welcome to the world of self employee d and independent contractors.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
TougeLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i would ask a tax person and not a bunch peeps on the interwebz.

you may be able to get away with the parts as long as you dont spend too much money. audits usually only create red flags after a certain dollar amount.
TougeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
chato de shamrock
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for the input fellas. That pretty much settles this issue.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:19 PM   #12
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 PM   #13
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeLove View Post
audits usually only create red flags after a certain dollar amount.
What you said is only true pre-2001. Before 2002, tax filings were digitized but the digital image was checked by a person. The person would red flag certain items of interest for auditing.

After 2002 the IRS started using software to check tax filings. Every discrepancy is marked with a red flag.

The difference is now that they have everything flagged, they don't have enough manpower to audit everything so they only audit certain items of interest.

So they went from flag-and-audit to flag-everything-maybe-audit-later.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:37 AM   #14
charat

Trader Rating: (0)
charat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is your 240 written down as "a work vehicle"? if not, then no. its your car that use happen to drive while working. its not a car for work.
charat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
h2v7
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
h2v7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
well first off this is the wrong forum to ask this question.

it may depend on what state your in too.

but i in face have writted off almoast a whole motorcycle and repairs for my in home computer service.

so i see no reason why 240sx would not work.

but i did have receipts of all my monthly payments for my work vehicle( 2002 triumph TT600)
h2v7 is offline   Reply With Quote