Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #31
TXRB

Trader Rating: (0)
TXRB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
awesome story/build thread!
TXRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #32
Young Sileighty Kev
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
Young Sileighty Kev is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Did you smoke the marijuana? Just stay living the ratchet s chassis life haha
Young Sileighty Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #33
rb25 run
Leaky Injector

rb25 run is an unknown quantity at this point
great job keep on it ..
rb25 run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #34
mishimoto
Zilvia Addict

mishimoto is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome car! Loved seeing the changes it went through!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #35
Ramonesfreak2010
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Ramonesfreak2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Here we are. We have both gone a long way dude and continuing to make moves!

Ramonesfreak2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #36
wolfpack
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
wolfpack is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
So finally a little update for you guys...

7/22/13
After pushing through one of the hardest and hottest weeks of my life (I am a landscaper in case you didn't know), I was more than psyched for Drift Valley. It was just the break I needed from real life. Unfortunately after all the time spent getting ready, loading up, and driving out there; I was only able to make about 6 passes before the inevitable happened... Rod knock! Thankfully I caught it before something ended up flying out the side of my block but it's still a total punch to the gut. But this is the hobby I chose so I'm going to take it like a man and push on through! NEVER GIVE UP! Before I was even halfway home arrangements were made to purchase Tom's (Ramonesfreak2010) blacktop SR. It works out great for both of us because I can keep my car going and Tommy Boy can finally rebuild his redtop and MAKE SOME F*CKING MOVES! So we came home, unloaded the car and I ate myself to sleep, like a teenage girl going through her first breakup.

Only made a few passes but I did manage to sneak in this video at 2:30!

But 8 a.m. Sunday morning hit, my eyes shot open and all I could think about was my busted car. So I got up, grabbed a few supplies, and headed straight to the shop. After a few hours on Sunday I had everything drained, removed, disconnected, and ready to go! I made great time and a lot of progress for the day. I was more than happy with what I was able to accomplish.

Then Monday right after work, me and my Dad both dove right in. I love the days after work or long Saturdays working my my dad. It’s not only a great way to spend some time but we can come up with some pretty cool shit by bouncing ideas off of each other, and using parts here and parts there. We are both blown away at what we have been able to accomplish so far, and can’t wait to see what we can come up with in the future. We really make a great team working on the car. So we were able to pop the motor out of the car in no time on Monday. Now I have to begin the teardown of my motor to have all the parts ready for the new block, when it arrives. So far things have been rolling along pretty well and I am hoping to keep my momentum rolling! I am really glad I got on it right after it happened and I didn’t let it sit. It’s gives you a good feeling to know there is something out there that can wake up the determined beast in you!

I also got a wild hair up my ass and decided to cut my core support off… I must have had too much coffee this morning. More on that later…

On a lighter note, Pedobro Paul and I both have been accepted to show our cars at WekEast in August! It is a great honor for the both of us and is sure to be a great time! If you have nothing going on the weekend of August 25 come check out both of our cars at the NJ Expo & Convention Center! This will be my first time taking the car to a pre-selected type of car show and I am anxious to see what people think of it. It feels really good to have accomplished my main goal throughout this build, to transcend the boundaries of your typical drift car and build a car that can both be driven hard on the track and still be taken seriously at a car show. With that said I have to get back to working on this damn thing so I can have it ready in time! See you all at WekEast on the 25th and the Swing Set Matsuri on the 31st!
Old 08-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #37
wolfpack
Zilvia Member

My arms are sore… my neck is sore… my legs are sore… my brain is sore… BUT MY CAR IS ALIVE! Since I blew my motor it has been a constant grind. Every bit of my spare time has been devoted to my car for the last ~3 weeks. I couldn’t stand to see it sitting there that way, I had to get it back together!

We left off with the motor out of the car. It was a relief to have the hurt motor out of the car, but I wasn’t even halfway there. I have a deadline now, and work is in full swing this season… time to grind! As soon as I could find a day off work I ran over to my friends house to pick up the new SR. Once I was able to get it back to my shop I was able to really start banging on it. Every day I would get off work, grab a cup of coffee, and go to town (if I didn’t have to go to job #2)! I started with my core support. I had the idea of taking the OEM core support and making it removable. It’s pretty flimsy anyway, and it will make it so much easier to pull/work on the motor. I started off by making up a set of tabs that I could weld up to the core support. I mocked everything up, drilled the core support and got some bolts that seemed up to the job. It came out awesome! Yanking the motor out with it cut was a breeze too! As long as it holds up to the stress of drift, it was well worth the time!

Next I had to switch all of my things from the old motor to the new motor, and get the new motor looking nice! Unfortunately, I was really buried in work so it was tough to find the time to get things done. But, you have to make time! Every spare second I was down in my dungeon working my balls off! At this point my tools were already spread all over the shop, and parts were filling up every available piece of flat space.

I got another crazy idea in my head (probably too much coffee again) and decided to see if I could move the lines on the intake manifold around to clean things up. A bit of brain power and a couple hoses later and we were looking good!

At this point I was waiting on some parts to arrive, but didn’t have any time to fuck around so I started putting the motor back together and hustled to get it in the car. Removable core support, IS AWESOME! Took 15 minutes from the time we lifted the motor, to the time it was in the subframe. Not bad…

Again, more work… But Saturday I had an open schedule. Time to get shit done. Couldn’t find any help so I had to get creative…

But I managed to get the exhaust and driveshaft in alone, boy did that suck. I need to get my bargain basement lift working! Spent the rest of the day doing small knick-knacks because I was leaving the core support off while I was awaiting parts. Finally, this smashed up box arrived from Austrailia…

What’s in the box?

WOO HOO! Thanks Taarks! This thing is going to make people gasp for air! By now most of you are probably thinking ‘what the hell is that and why is he so psyched?’ Well, it is the new Taarks Low-Mount Powersteering bracket. I had visions of welding my own up like Nigel, but this is going to save me a lot of time and more-than-likely headache. Quick slapped it on because I was dying to see how it looked.

Really awesome piece. The bracket is top-notch, comes with every nut and bolt you will need to install it. I would definitely recommend this piece to anyone. Now that we have that installed, let’s get this damn thing back together!

Finally we got everything filled up and she fired right up! YES! Time to hit the street and make sure this thing is going to make a 3 hour trip to WekEast on August 25th!

I would like to take this chance to give a big thanks to my dad. He has been busting his ass as hard as I have since the motor popped. He is the only person in the world who is as connected to this car as I am. He is the only one who understands the feeling when it is broken, or feels the pride when it is running. He was right there with me every chance he got and he is the only one who can say that. If it wasn’t for him this would have been a hell of a lot more difficult process. When I don’t feel like working on the car, he is always there to call me a lazy bum or force me into working on this stupid-ass piece of 90′s shit Nissan. But together, we really get this shit done! WOLFPACK!

See you at WekEast! Hopefully I'll bump into some of you out there, don't be afraid to say hi!

Last edited by wolfpack; 08-09-2013 at 01:10 PM..
wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #38
SaNTi
Zilvia Addict

SaNTi is an unknown quantity at this point
Great work, dude!

Newbie question, what are the benefits of that P/S bracket?
SaNTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #39
wolfpack
Zilvia Member

Thanks Santi! White coupes will rule the world!

The low-mount powersteering is really just to clean up the exhaust side of the motor. By moving the pump down to the empty void where the A/C compressor would sit, you free up a lot of room around the exhaust manifold/turbo. I can imagine that working in this area should be a breeze from now on. Also, if you are running an aftermarket reservoir, it makes it a lot easier to properly place. The pump is gravity fed so the reservoir needs to be mounted higher [than the pump]. With the pump in the original spot, it was tricky to find a place above the pump and out of the way. Not to mention the power steering pump is completely out of sight when the radiator and intercooler is installed, awesome!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #40
vehicle336
Zilvia Member

vehicle336 is an unknown quantity at this point
Spend $300 bucks and buy a baffled oil pan from Canton or Moroso. 300 bucks is less than a new motor...
Old 08-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #41
AdrenalineS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
AdrenalineS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yoyo, curious as to what power steering rez that is? chase bays? if so how long are the lines that they provide unless those lines are ones you made? BTW car is looking great man!
AdrenalineS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #42
TwelveAM
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
TwelveAM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I love this build.

Keep it up man, love the way both your chassis came out.
TwelveAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #43
510erv
Zilvia Member

510erv is an unknown quantity at this point
very nice build
510erv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #44
208s14.5
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
208s14.5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

208s14.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #45
va240dude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (161)
va240dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 161 reviews
Car looks great man. Where did you get that front lip? If it's OEM it's rare as hell. I'm going to be selling mine off my car in Japan shortly haha.
va240dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #46
superdrifts13

superdrifts13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sick build man looks great and has came along way
superdrifts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #47
alexander240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
alexander240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
AMAZING! what rear valance's are those?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #48
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool read.

Just a quick question. Why did you mount the air filter behind the rad? In my eyes it would be better to mount it lower down on the driver side of the bay as not to suck in the hot air flowing off the rad.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #49
wolfpack
Zilvia Member

Hey thanks everyone! I appreciate all of your comments!!!

AdrenalineS14 - It's a Chase Bays kit, TBH I have no idea how long the lines are. They're all long though. I would just save yourself the money and buy a reservoir and make the lines yourself. I helped a friend make some and it's not difficult at all. Also, if you buy the proper fittings for the rack it won't piss all over the place all the time like the Chase Bays ones do

208s14.5 - Thanks dude! Stickydiljoe hooked it up! The quality on that camera is AWESOME!!!

va240dude - The lip on the car is a Forcewerkz. I managed to get a hold of a genuine OEM lip with all of the brackets and weatherstripping... but I couldn't bear the thought of running it over on the highway. For now it hangs on my wall...

alexander240 - I was sold a Bomex rear valance for a 'coupe'. Turns out it was a few inches short... it was a hatch valance. A little creativity and that is what I came up with!

Dolph_KYAS13 - That was my first thought as well... Originally the filter was right in front of where the A/C compressor would be. But after a few unintentional off-roading trips at the local track, my MAF was dirty. So with the low-mount power steering bracket being in the way anyway, I decided to switch the two around. So far, the car has been running great! This weekend will be my first time out drifting on the new motor setup, so we will see how it holds up to the punishment.

Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to read or comment on the build!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #50
WreckedS14

WreckedS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you coming down to Shenandoah this weekend?!
WreckedS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #51
wolfpack
Zilvia Member

Hell yeah dude!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #52
xBtony
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
xBtony is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Cool car and a great story. Keep it up!
xBtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #53
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
See, this is what I like. You drive the shit out of your car, but you have still kept it super clean. Too many fuck sticks think "it's just a drift car" and see that as an excuse to have a pos and make it a point to not even attempt to clean it up.

Awesome build and a great story. I'll be keeping tabs on this.
That's what i was thinking.... was like damn, that car's come a loooong way.

And then I realized he's one of those people who allegedly likes 240s, but who treats them like they're disposable.... ruining more and more cars out of our finite number.

Nice car, but causing the death of 240s is not cool. If you can drift it or let it rust, you can fix it.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #54
maces13
Leaky Injector

maces13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome build bro. Having a good attitude can make any project easier for sure. It's really cool that you and your pops can share a hobby like this, you don't hear about things like that anymore. The build is awesome in my eyes because your not spending 100 grand on parts with a crazy ass build but building a high caliber car on a budget like mine. I work a physical job outdoors too and my free time is almost all devoted to my car. Definitely inspiring dude, keep up the good stuff
maces13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #55
BenRice
Leaky Injector

BenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura about
Very good build thread. Really like how the car isnt over the top, just clean and effective. I also like how you're putting emphasis on learning in everything you do (building the car and your driving) but still retaining pride in it by continuing to tidy it up.

Keep it up.
BenRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:45 AM   #56
wolfpack
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBtony View Post
Cool car and a great story. Keep it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maces13 View Post
Definitely inspiring dude, keep up the good stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRice View Post
Very good build thread...Keep it up.
Thanks guys! Hopefully within the next few months I'll tear some stuff apart and have some updates. For now I've just been enjoying it!

Here's a short video I threw together from a couple clips taken at the March 30th Drift Valley. Hope you enjoy!

Old 09-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #57
s0fa king
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
s0fa king is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
thank you for doing it right. the car looks amazing!
s0fa king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #58
wolfpack
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0fa king View Post
thank you for doing it right. the car looks amazing!
Thanks a bunch dude! Right back at ya! I always use your car as an example of how a kouki is supposed to look!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #59
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
GTR-Garage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Thanks for sending me the link to this thread. I really enjoy reading these. It reminds me of my younger days! You're going to have to put a mirror under the rear of your car at shows so people can see the RYO fuel tank guard.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #60
kpnasty
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
kpnasty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
very cool and inspiring build. saw pics of this car in the silvia thread and wondered who built it. keep on rollin!
kpnasty is offline   Reply With Quote