Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #6961
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauwalnut View Post
I strongly recommend these kickers. I love them. I dont think you will find a better RMS at anything close to this price. Kicker CS65 612" Coaxial Speakers with Polypropylene Woofer Cones Pair 40CS654 - Best Buy
RMS ratings are probably the most worthless specification to concern yourself with when buying a mid-high speaker. It's just not a good selling point. If you are just looking for a dirt cheap speaker, then sure, those Kickers fill that need. But if you are looking for something with good sound quality then those kickers will fail miserably.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #6962
e5s4y
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
e5s4y is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauwalnut View Post
I strongly recommend these kickers. I love them. I dont think you will find a better RMS at anything close to this price. Kicker CS65 612" Coaxial Speakers with Polypropylene Woofer Cones Pair 40CS654 - Best Buy
I had those in my fiance's car. They sound pretty good, but I still havent found anything short of an audio competition car that compares to the setup I got from Broadfield.
Arc Audio XDi804
Hybrid Audio Mirius M61-2
Hybrid Audio Mirius M69-2
Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #6963
S14_kouki504
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
S14_kouki504 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to S14_kouki504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
RMS ratings are probably the most worthless specification to concern yourself with when buying a mid-high speaker. It's just not a good selling point. If you are just looking for a dirt cheap speaker, then sure, those Kickers fill that need. But if you are looking for something with good sound quality then those kickers will fail miserably.
Not to say that you don't know much about car audio but your statement is not entirely correct. If you are in the market to build a nice high powered sound system in your car then the two many things you look for in a speaker is sensitivity and maximum RMS power-handling. Why on Earth would someone building a quality sound system not concern themselves with a speakers RMS rating when choosing the right speakers? You dont want to pick out a amp that pushes out more power on a continuous basis than what the speakers RMS range can handle. Over time you would kill the speaker. This is not to say that i know any more or less than you do when it comes to cars or car audio but i have been selling and building quality sound systems since i was 18. I have been installing systems in cars since i was 14. I wouldn't trust anything someone at a national chain store that sells car audio would say about any type of product they sell. They are trained to only sell what their store carries. With that being said, Kicker is a decent speaker for people who dont really care for quality sound. If anyone does their research correctly, a majority of the major brands have actually fallen off the market in recent years, for example Cerwin Vega, MTX and Kicker. You would be hard pressed to find Cerwin Vega and MTX in your local Best Buy or any other "Big Box" electronics store. Kicker as fallen off out of the market so much so that Wal-mart now sells Kicker. I would be more than happy to discuss this subject further with anyone who thinks different otherwise.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #6964
knifedag007

knifedag007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14_kouki504 View Post
If anyone does their research correctly, a majority of the major brands have actually fallen off the market in recent years, for example Cerwin Vega, MTX and Kicker. You would be hard pressed to find Cerwin Vega and MTX in your local Best Buy or any other "Big Box" electronics store. Kicker as fallen off out of the market so much so that Wal-mart now sells Kicker. I would be more than happy to discuss this subject further with anyone who thinks different otherwise.
While I don't agree completely with the top part of your post, this point is exactly what has happened.
And that's coming from a store manager of a major car audio company.
We also at one time carried all of the brands mentioned above and have since dropped all of them over time because of this issue, and trying to hold up our core company values of quality/reliability of the products we carry.
knifedag007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #6965
laocivic
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (-1)
laocivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
here is mine... i used plexi glass to mount my switches and such. Will most likely tint or smoke them and throw some led's in the back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130926_133605.JPG (199.9 KB, 113 views)
laocivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #6966
beauwalnut

Trader Rating: (1)
beauwalnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
If you are just looking for a dirt cheap speaker, then sure, those Kickers fill that need. But if you are looking for something with good sound quality then those kickers will fail miserably.
I'm not saying these are the best sounding speakers ever. I AM saying that they are shallow depth and sound damn good for the price.

I can also vouch that they sound better and can handle more power than Kicker KS60, and the KS is the more expensive, heaver, larger speaker. Listen for yourself at the low-end bestbuy store. DONT listen to the sales guy.

BTW, if anyone wants a good deal on a pair KS's that I had installed just long enough not to be able to return them PM me. I switched to the cheaper CS's and am much happier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130926_112039.jpg (441.0 KB, 24 views)
beauwalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #6967
206sx
Leaky Injector

206sx is an unknown quantity at this point
206sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #6968
240sxdriftin
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (25)
240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of240sxdriftin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
need real photos

Old 09-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #6969
dwnshft2drft
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
dwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
This is the interior thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
Getting ready to rewrap the old headliner in black fabric (similar to the stock stuff) and install the s15 visors...along with s15 dome light and rear view mirror if I can find em. Next up is the front speakers and new headunit with 4 channel amp.... possibly double din with the HVAC moved to the glove box to make space for gauges. Any recommendations on factory looking shallow mount 6.5 speakers and headunit/double din/amp? I have pioneer REV series in the rear and love them but the grill just wouldn't work for what I want in the front. The barely used infinity speakers will be up for sale soon.
Where did u get the headliner fabric? I couldn't find anything close to oem without the foam fabric..

Stuff For Sale
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/40348...dm-excimo.html

Last edited by dwnshft2drft; 09-26-2013 at 04:57 PM..
dwnshft2drft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #6970
Trap Star
Zilvia Junkie

Trap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant futureTrap Star has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Trap Star
Quote:
Not to say that you don't know much about car audio but your statement is not entirely correct. If you are in the market to build a nice high powered sound system in your car then the two many things you look for in a speaker is sensitivity and maximum RMS power-handling. Why on Earth would someone building a quality sound system not concern themselves with a speakers RMS rating when choosing the right speakers? You dont want to pick out a amp that pushes out more power on a continuous basis than what the speakers RMS range can handle. Over time you would kill the speaker.
I think you missed the point entirely. Its important to consider RMS when deciding how to power whatever speakers you're installing but it should not be your primary concern. Sure your speakers might be able to handle 500w RMS but if they sound like someone stomping on 400,000 roaches their power handling really doesn't mean shit.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #6971
dwnshft2drft
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
dwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enoughdwnshft2drft will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
You all have nice interior, but it wont be complete without the LED switches...

Just sharing you what I have on my s14 and I do make, sell, and install the LED's... PM me for details... Link below
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/53527...-switches.html

Stuff For Sale
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/40348...dm-excimo.html
dwnshft2drft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #6972
206sx
Leaky Injector

206sx is an unknown quantity at this point
i was planning on getting some LED's for the cluster but the entire dash? interesting...
206sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #6973
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
juhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Heres mine. Uncracked dash, NRG Rose gold short hub and quick release, Grip Royal wheel, custom made door panels, S14 seats

juhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #6974
Fracture
Leaky Injector

Fracture is an unknown quantity at this point
Set of dark blue Bride's and a hula-girl on the dash and you're golden. Would be kinda cool to see all this with a brown dash too.
Fracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #6975
S14_kouki504
Zilvia Member

S14_kouki504 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to S14_kouki504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Star View Post
I think you missed the point entirely. Its important to consider RMS when deciding how to power whatever speakers you're installing but it should not be your primary concern. Sure your speakers might be able to handle 500w RMS but if they sound like someone stomping on 400,000 roaches their power handling really doesn't mean shit.
cleary you didnt read and understand my entire statement. not once did i ever say that RMS should be your primary concern in selecting speakers.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #6976
ill.
Zilvia Member

ill. is an unknown quantity at this point
Finally got some decent shots of my car.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #6977
MeGusta.jpeg

MeGusta.jpeg is an unknown quantity at this point

need to wrap the door panels, glove box, arm rest and probably make a ebrake boot
MeGusta.jpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #6978
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Not to say that you don't know much about car audio but your statement is not entirely correct. If you are in the market to build a nice high powered sound system in your car then the two many things you look for in a speaker is sensitivity and maximum RMS power-handling. Why on Earth would someone building a quality sound system not concern themselves with a speakers RMS rating when choosing the right speakers? You dont want to pick out a amp that pushes out more power on a continuous basis than what the speakers RMS range can handle. Over time you would kill the speaker. This is not to say that i know any more or less than you do when it comes to cars or car audio but i have been selling and building quality sound systems since i was 18. I have been installing systems in cars since i was 14. I wouldn't trust anything someone at a national chain store that sells car audio would say about any type of product they sell. They are trained to only sell what their store carries. With that being said, Kicker is a decent speaker for people who dont really care for quality sound. If anyone does their research correctly, a majority of the major brands have actually fallen off the market in recent years, for example Cerwin Vega, MTX and Kicker. You would be hard pressed to find Cerwin Vega and MTX in your local Best Buy or any other "Big Box" electronics store. Kicker as fallen off out of the market so much so that Wal-mart now sells Kicker. I would be more than happy to discuss this subject further with anyone who thinks different otherwise.
I could write a book on this from my 23 years of professional experience, working 6-7 days a week, 25,000+ installs under my belt. But I just don't have the time to argue about this. Most of the competition systems I build utilize amplification that has more than double the RMS power over what the speaker is rated at... including my S13. The best sounding car on the planet uses 750 watt mono blocks for every single speaker... that's even running 3" that are rated at 150 watts RMS. Just using the terminology "RMS" in the car audio world is highly debated and often considered a misnomer. RMS is a continuos rating. Music is by no means continuos... unless you are burping a SPL vehicle. So when beauwalnut recommended the Kickers solely because of their RMS power handling, it caused me to quickly jump in and imply that a speaker should never be purchased just because of it's RMS rating. That's all I was saying.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #6979
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
crzsteveo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaanrel View Post
Heres mine. Uncracked dash, NRG Rose gold short hub and quick release, Grip Royal wheel, custom made door panels, S14 seats

dude please share how you got that material on the panels. Ive been looking for material to put on my blank panels...
crzsteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #6980
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzsteveo View Post
dude please share how you got that material on the panels. Ive been looking for material to put on my blank panels...
I have a pretty decent write-up that shows the ultimate way of doing it... which is removing the vinyl from the insert area first and attaching the new material directly to the pressboard part of the door card instead of glueing the new material directly to the vinyl in the insert area:

******S13 Door Card Insert | Broadfield's Blog******

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #6981
Magoo1222
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
Magoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
I have a pretty decent write-up that shows the ultimate way of doing it... which is removing the vinyl from the insert area first and attaching the new material directly to the pressboard part of the door card instead of glueing the new material directly to the vinyl in the insert area:

******S13 Door Card Insert | Broadfield's Blog******
Can vouch for this ^^ followed (almost) step by step and my cards came out decent for my first time trying it
Magoo1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #6982
InsTanCeZ
Zilvia Addict

InsTanCeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ Would that work for s14s also?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #6983
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
crzsteveo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
holy tits I fuckin love you. I was going to attempt with the black vinyl on and vacuum the back side of it. but your way seems a lot more legit!
crzsteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #6984
ronny.jpn
Zilvia Junkie

ronny.jpn is an unknown quantity at this point
Buddies new car. 80k original miles on it also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1380344396912.jpg (62.1 KB, 73 views)
ronny.jpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #6985
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
I second Broadfield's comments about RMS. I do sound for dance music events and RMS is essentially a useless metric. Much more important is response range, peak power capacity, impedance, and program rating.

If anything going strictly by RMS(assuming the ratings are reliable and uniform) will leave you under powering your speakers in anything but an SPL competition.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #6986
new2sr20
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
new2sr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I run MB Quart RCM216 in the doors and back panel in my S14 and they sound great. The whole car is also dynamatted.
new2sr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #6987
MidwestMyriad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
MidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her selfMidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
ill, looks awesome

Last edited by MidwestMyriad; 09-28-2013 at 07:26 AM..
MidwestMyriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #6988
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Just finished up three pieces for a customer:

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 09-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #6989
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Man I love that glovebox work. I would like to do something like that with gauges...

I guess I know the guy to see once I'm closer to getting that work done
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #6990
Konster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
Konster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
That looks great Broadfield.