Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #721
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
MrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrFairlady
When You are purchasing new Lips (outers) and what size they are/selected,..Do you also have to account for the 1/2-3/4" Face for bolting? (depending on face design of course?)

meaning:
i have 4 18x7.5 +45 VSKF that I just got.
If i bought say 3" lips (leaving the inner barrel alone), that means really I would have approx 2 1/2" - 2 3/4" of lip to "see"?
The rim face takes up a tiny bit of that desired size lip correct?
The face on my wheels bolts to the inner Lip, and protrudes over the outer Barrel.
kind of like Blitz 03's. have huge lips but the face takes up most of them.

Sorry if thats confusing.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #722
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFairlady View Post
When You are purchasing new Lips (outers) and what size they are/selected,..Do you also have to account for the 1/2-3/4" Face for bolting? (depending on face design of course?)

meaning:
i have 4 18x7.5 +45 VSKF that I just got.
If i bought say 3" lips (leaving the inner barrel alone), that means really I would have approx 2 1/2" - 2 3/4" of lip to "see"?
The rim face takes up a tiny bit of that desired size lip correct?
The face on my wheels bolts to the inner Lip, and protrudes over the outer Barrel.
kind of like Blitz 03's. have huge lips but the face takes up most of them.

Sorry if thats confusing.
If you're leaving the barrel and face the same, all you have to do is subtract 6~7mm(forget the exact measurement) every half inch to the overall offset. So in your situation, you have 5.5in barrels with a 2in lip right now. A 3in lip would make you wheels into 18x8.5 +33, 4in lip would make it 18x9.5 +21. Pretty sure you have A disk too, I have 18x8 +38 A disk vs-kf's. Hope that helps. Also, does anyone know where I could pick up the M7 Triple Square Bit Socket to take the wheel bolts off? Only found one place online and they're out of stock.
xpinoyxmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #723
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
So I have a question... Please don't flame the hell out of me for this since I'm more or less new to the whole widening idea...

I restored my current set of SSR meshies about a year ago and I really don't want to get rid of them. Wider barrels for them are extremely hard to come by, but would having additional inner barrel welded on to increase width be an actual "safe" method to taking my 7.5s out to say 9"?

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #724
red240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
red240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Still looking for Volk lips for my GTCs
red240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #725
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
So I have a question... Please don't flame the hell out of me for this since I'm more or less new to the whole widening idea...

I restored my current set of SSR meshies about a year ago and I really don't want to get rid of them. Wider barrels for them are extremely hard to come by, but would having additional inner barrel welded on to increase width be an actual "safe" method to taking my 7.5s out to say 9"?
If done correctly it should be perfectly fine. I saw a guy widen his RPF-1's a long time ago by cutting off the small amount of lip that was there and then welding a strip of aluminum to widen them. He never had any problems that i know of.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #726
sil80takashi
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
sil80takashi is making a name for him/her selfsil80takashi is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
this thread makes me want to go hunt for weak offset VS's and widening them
sil80takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #727
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Anybody have input on sourcing hardware? Looking for gold bolts.

Typical M7x30.

1) BlackForrestIndustries (posted earlier in the thread) - pretty good price, but the 'cap' part is a little smaller so the washers behind the bolts are exposed. Also, read reports of people's bolts snapping... very reputable fabricator on social media (Dominant Engineering) said they are a joke.....

2) Dominant Engineering - top quality stuff this guy makes. Incredible. Said he could get me 24k hardware and to e-mail him but it's been a week now and I haven't heard back from him yet I've seen him post on social media..... idk.

3) WheelFlip - Little bit more expensive than BFI ($230 for 140 bolts vs $180). Haven't heard anything good or bad about their hardware. They've been around awhile and I bet a lot of people in CA are running their stuff.... just ordered a couple bolts to sample them.

Any other options?
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #728
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I just recently widened mine. I bought 6 inch lips for the rear and took my old rears that were 4.5 inch and moved them up front. while they were down i had the faces redone.

before:

After

@streetstyle_jay
jsu1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #729
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

MrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant future
What siZes before and after on yours?
What did it change them to?
Old 02-21-2015, 02:06 AM   #730
previa19
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
previa19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Dazed- go check out a place like FG Wilcox that can get hardware and see if they can get the 24k stuff. I've been able to get the stuff I need through them so far. Bag of 100 stainless steel m6x30mm Allens with 100 matching flange nuts and out the door was about $22 and change. Threw them on my SSRs the moment I got home and no issues at all
previa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:50 PM   #731
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Hmm didn't think about local fastener places. I did e-mail the place you mentioned, so thank you for that. I'm kind of skeptical though, the local chain of fastener stores wanted an outrageous amount for titanium screws (for SR20 coilpack), and I don't think they carry anything gold plated at all.

For what it's worth, here is the information I've collected (this is for GOLD M7 bolts)

Black Forrest Industries (BFI) - $1.29 a bolt.

Quality seems to be 'meh', with reports of bolts snapping, and reputable people bashing them.

WheelFlip - $1.71 a bolt.

Ordered a sample, hasn't arrived yet. Haven't heard anything good or bad. BUT they have been around awhile and I'm sure LOTS of people in Cali are rolling around with their hardware with no problems.

Dominant Engineering - $3 a bolt.

Single individual, master fabricator. Have a look at his work, you'll see how high his standards are.

BFI is out of the question for me. I need 140 bolts so WheelFlip is about $240, and Dominant Engineering is $420. For my price range, I don't think I can do $420...

May report back when the WheelFlip samples I ordered come in.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #732
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Just relipped these from 18X7.5 +44 to 18X11/12 +0/-13

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #733
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
What siZes before and after on yours?
What did it change them to?
they were:

18x10, +3 & 18x10.5 +12

now they are 18x10.5, -3 & 18x12, -6

@streetstyle_jay
jsu1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #734
driftslideways

Trader Rating: (0)
driftslideways is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cut n weld
driftslideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #735
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

"umm ok I think i've gone Cross eyed"

OK. Answer me this last question;

If My wheels currently are 18x7.5 +45
(5.5" inner Barrel and a 2" Lip)
If I buy a 4" lip the size would go too.....?

18x9.5 +5 ??
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm adding the lip size: 4" + 5.5" innerBarrell = 9.5 wide?
*Offset 12.7 (per Inch added) x 4 (inch lip) = 50.8+/-
50.8 - 45(current offset) = 5 ?

Is my Math correct?
Old 02-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #736
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
^ No. Your offset will drop 12.7mm per inch of added outer lip.

If you add 2" of outer lip (by switching from a 2" lip to a 4" lip), your offset will drop by 25.4mm.

If your old offset is +45, your new offset will be +20.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #737
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
copying from wheel fitment thread; realize this is a better place for these questions
So i bought these wheels

I am looking to buy a pair of 4inch lips to re-lip them but since i got the wheels so cheap i don't want to go too crazy on lips.
Does anyone have a picture of the "register gap" when using the "improper" lips for work wheels? I'm trying to justify spending double on lips for what could possibly be a negligible difference.
Also, does anyone know the hole spacing for work 18in 40 hole lips?
Is it 40x8.5mm?
Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #738
Sumslapper
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Sumslapper is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I can get you any size lip for those $220 shipped each. The lips I use are a perfect fit. No gaps like other lip distributors I've seen/used. Also for those who asked yes you need to account for the face on sandwich mounted wheels like rezax/equip. So if you wanted 18x10 you would go with something like: 5.5" barrel/ .5" face /4'' lip.
Sumslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #739
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Wheel flip has 18x4 for 125/ea
But they will have a small gap.
I want to buy 2 18x4 lips to use on the rear wheels and move the rear lips to the front wheels
Old 02-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #740
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
"umm ok I think i've gone Cross eyed"

OK. Answer me this last question;

If My wheels currently are 18x7.5 +45
(5.5" inner Barrel and a 2" Lip)
If I buy a 4" lip the size would go too.....?

18x9.5 +5 ??
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm adding the lip size: 4" + 5.5" innerBarrell = 9.5 wide?
*Offset 12.7 (per Inch added) x 4 (inch lip) = 50.8+/-
50.8 - 45(current offset) = 5 ?

Is my Math correct?

Lol you're doing too much work and overthinking it. Let this script do it for you:

http://stu.taylor-net.co.uk/tools/offset

That website is the shit.

Here's what your specs would look like:

So that other guy is right, basically +20 when you're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
copying from wheel fitment thread; realize this is a better place for these questions
So i bought these wheels

I am looking to buy a pair of 4inch lips to re-lip them but since i got the wheels so cheap i don't want to go too crazy on lips.
Does anyone have a picture of the "register gap" when using the "improper" lips for work wheels? I'm trying to justify spending double on lips for what could possibly be a negligible difference.
Also, does anyone know the hole spacing for work 18in 40 hole lips?
Is it 40x8.5mm?
Never heard of register gap, and what are 'improper lips'?

Those just take standard 40 hole reverse lips, just hit up VRwheels, they are the cheapest and best to deal with. And I've shopped around. ~$800 for 4 lips. Those are 'DDC' lips on there right now.

They did 4 lips and 2 barrels for $1100 for me.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #741
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Wheel flip has "18x4 reverse lips" for 248(for a pair) i emailed them and they said

"Since Rezax have the lip sitting on top of the face, we do not recommend these as there is a visible register gap. Instead, we have perfect fit outer lips for you.

18x4.0 reverse outer, polished: $194 ea
Shipping: $35 / pair

Let me know if you are interested."
Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 PM   #742
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Ah, I see.

Reason I said that is I was under impression they were just like Work Equips, which also have the lip sitting on top of the barrel. Work Equip lips should be compatible with Rezax but don't hold me to that.

Regardless, WheelFlip quoted me at hundreds more than VR and took weeks to answer even just my e-mails regarding quotes. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:36 AM   #743
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

dazed - Excellent!!! Thanks for that Link.Perfect.

Now I just need to verify what spacer to run to clear my Z Brakes/Coils and if the ol' Z32 can handle a 10.5 up front or go 9.5
Hop 4" lips will look good on KF's cuz I know Im going 5" lips on the rears.Maybe 6

thanks everyone!
Old 02-26-2015, 12:41 AM   #744
joshg51
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
joshg51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is register gap totally safe to run? My face is top mount so it won't be visible but I wanna know if it's important to have a tight fit like hub centric wheels or will the bolt take care of it.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #745
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

VR wheels quoted $1000 total for 4 lips,cut weld,Dismantle,Machine Rear faces for extra bolts - any size Lip.

?good,bAD?
Shows They are in stock, and the guy quoted est 1-1.5 week turnaround/
Old 02-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #746
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
VR wheels quoted $1000 total for 4 lips,cut weld,Dismantle,Machine Rear faces for extra bolts - any size Lip.

?good,bAD?
Shows They are in stock, and the guy quoted est 1-1.5 week turnaround/
Its $800 alone for lips, probably $25 each to stud the faces, and $100 for cutting weld, disassembly/reassembly.

Does that price include shipping?
xpinoyxmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #747
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

No. Prob not. Didnt even ask what size lips but I guess all inclusive. No shipping though.
May roll with it.
Called them and he answered the phone "Ugh hello" ?
I was like "is ugh, this VRwheels?"

Asian guy clearly and once I began telling him what I was looking for, he was very nice
Old 03-02-2015, 07:50 AM   #748
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Just in case anyone is interested, before I rip these apart. I have a set of 18X8 +38 Weds Cerberus IIs - can be built to 18X10/11/12 +13/0/-13. I'd sell them for 1250 shipped. Chrome faces in good shape, only need lips and sealant.

My plan is to build them to 18X10/11 - but I have two other sets of wheels to build first.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #749
nativG20
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
nativG20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_mac530 View Post
^ I've never done a step lip before, but I've been on the hunt for Blitz 03's and it seems like there are more 17" sets than any other size. I would like to stay with an 18" wheel on my car. When you run a step lip, do you also need to change the barrel?
yes you need to get a step barrel as well, i believe VR wheels sells step barrels as well as step lips

WTF IS JUICE?? I WANT THAT PURPLE DRANK!!!
nativG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:38 PM   #750
nativG20
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
nativG20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The wheels started out 18x8+42 (which im running in the front).
Final specs for the rear came out to 18x9+30

F: 18x8+42 on a 225/40/18
R: 18x9+30 on a 215/40/18

front has a 1.5 inch lip and rears have a 2.5 deep lip. the 2.5 rear lips are original Work wheel lips that have been refurbished/polished

Polished original bolts

Lip bolted up

Masked off barrel/lip to apply Silicone

Rears done

Some of the lip bead /tire stretch

top shot of square shoulders and tread

I havent washed the car or shined the tires yet, Im planning to install my GC coilover and Koni set up soon soon. Im gonna drop the front another 1.25 inches and another Inch in the rear

I need to close that gap and wash her haha

Lip sits right at the Fender, i rolled the rear fender with a mini sledge hammer ans a heat gun. and the inner lip is really flat

She is my daily driver and i dont plan for major slammage. I thought id share my rebuild and install pics

WTF IS JUICE?? I WANT THAT PURPLE DRANK!!!
nativG20 is offline   Reply With Quote