Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-23-2003, 01:25 PM   #1
WhiteNissanS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
WhiteNissanS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WhiteNissanS13 Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteNissanS13
Question 12" subwoofers.....

i have a box for 2 12" subwoofers, it currently has 12" kicker comps in them and i don't like em. so any suggestions of cheap but clean accurate bass for under $80 each? btw it being powered by a 600watt JBL amp and my head unit is a Alpine 7892. any info would help thanks.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:41 PM   #2
popey
Zilvia Member

popey is an unknown quantity at this point
Get some alpine type r 12" subs - there about 120each, come in pairs on ebay. so around 240ish?
popey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:49 PM   #3
russian
Zilvia FREAK!

russian is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to russian
well under 80$ would be
Crunch 12' vdrive fatboy( ihave those they kick hard)

or used JL audio of ebay or Even better - Crossfire audio. that definately wont be below 80$
Old 06-23-2003, 02:27 PM   #4
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
Was the box built to have the right internal volume for those subs?(Was it built to Kickers specs) My friend has some OLD Kicker 5' midbass and the enclosure for them is perfect. It sounds INCREDIBLE. Not to loud but all the SQ is there. (Although he has gotten pulled over for noise ordinance because of them ). If you want some subs with better SQ Alpine would be a good choice. Infinity Kappa Perfects would be good too for cheaper SQ subs. DO NOT BUY THEM FROM CRUTCHFIELD. They are WAAAAAYYY overpriced. I would suggest
Ikesound to buy from. Their prices are pretty low and they have free shipping. Just don't buy from them with a check....I ordered by check and it took a month to get here... I ordered buy credit card and it's takin about a week.(Damn UPS:hammer: ) Good luck on finding what you want.(I would say if you haven't already make a ported box to Kickers Reccomendations. It should be loud and clean.)
Old 06-23-2003, 02:28 PM   #5
WhiteNissanS13
Zilvia Addict

Send a message via AIM to WhiteNissanS13 Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteNissanS13
oh i forgot to mention that it needs to be very accurate because i listen to fast punk music. not the long extended bass like in hiphop/rap/rnb.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:36 PM   #6
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Well if you want a REALLY good sub that would replace BOTH with just one and would be cheap(at least for what you get).....then go to Elemental Designs The A series subs (from what I've heard from reviews) is comparable to a JL Audio W7. Not quite as good in SQ but for the price.....who cares! Also it will get louder than the W7. If you have the space build the ported enclosure to their specs.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:04 PM   #7
WhiteNissanS13
Zilvia Addict

i should say what kind of box it is, its not ported, sealed. and its for 2 12"s with a divider inbetween the 2 subs. its 2 cubic feet.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:51 PM   #8
240 2NR
Zilvia FREAK!

240 2NR is an unknown quantity at this point
Honstly, I'd just sell the box and the subs together and get what you really want. For fast accurate bass, I'd look for a single 10" or 12" driver in a sealed box. Otherwise you're stuck trying to find speakers designed for the volume of the box you already have (which may be part of the problem to begin with) as opposed to getting what you want and tailoring it to your needs.

Plus while 2 cheap 12's *may* hit harder than a single, one quality sub in a sealed box will sound better.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:19 PM   #9
Toahk
Zilvia Junkie

Toahk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Toahk
I run a single 10" boston sub in a bandpass box and it sounds great, more crisp and IMO hits plenty hard.
Toahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:28 PM   #10
TheTimanator
Post Whore!

TheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond repute
Ever looked into the Infinity Basslink? I've heard great things about it. Plus, if your like me and want to be able to remove the extra weight easily...it's all one piece. Just a thought.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:32 PM   #11
duderiffic
Zilvia Junkie

duderiffic is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to duderiffic
Punk & bandpass? Yikes

That would sound like yea... umm...

I run two 8 8W3v2-D2 in my 1998 S14 SE in a sealed boxed. I listen to punk/ska/jazz so I'm probably after the same thing as you as far as sound goes. I absolutely love the sound for punk&ska... more questions?
Old 06-23-2003, 08:37 PM   #12
WhiteNissanS13
Zilvia Addict

the box looks like this
Old 06-23-2003, 08:44 PM   #13
boro240
Zilvia FREAK!

boro240 is making a name for him/her selfboro240 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteNissanS13
oh i forgot to mention that it needs to be very accurate because i listen to fast punk music.
wait....then why do you even need bass?
boro240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:55 PM   #14
duderiffic
Zilvia Junkie

duderiffic is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to duderiffic
To fill in your low frequencies? (Sub-100Hz)
Old 06-23-2003, 11:46 PM   #15
s13silady
Nissanaholic!

s13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfection
i listen to punk, alternative, etc too.. all i have is one 12" rockford power HX2 with a 2000watt Koiler amp and it is very accurate... and sounds really clean... and hits harder than 2 12's if i want it to...
Old 06-23-2003, 11:57 PM   #16
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Good SQ can be had from 15" subs too. It depends mostly on the install and the motor strength of the driver. If the motor is the same one used on the company's 12" driver then it will most likely not sound as good. If the 15" has a sufficient motor structure then it would be able to be as accurate as a 12" in a good install. (It would require more power though)Also, it would be able to play lower frequencys. So if you want you could get one 15" and get a good box for it. Also, is it 2 cubic ft. total? How do you have them wired? It would probably sound a LOT better ported. I had a JL 12" W3v2 in a 1 cubic foot box and the hits seemed to lag a little. I built a ported box to their specs and it sounded sooooooo much better. Sealed can sound better in SQ but going with a larger sealed box would be better. One the Crutchfield site it says they 12" Comp VR's should be in a 1.0-4.6 cubic foot box. 1ft cubed is pretty small. You also have to take in account the driver displacement. You could try to make a different box with more internal volume or try to make a ported box. Buying prefabbed boxes sucks unless you reseach what you're gettin into first.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:31 AM   #17
240 2NR
Zilvia FREAK!

240 2NR is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, but for the budget he's talking, a 15" is going to be on the low end compared to some decent single 10's or 12's and very underdriven.

Go give a listen to some good, well designed single subs, I think you'll be impressed. It may not hit quite as hard, but that doesn't seem like your primary concern. Regardless I think you would be shocked at what a small, though well designed speaker is capable of. I have a set of nice bookshelf 6.5" speakers (paradigm mini monitors running on on a yamaha integrated amp) and I'm constantly being asked what sub I run. I don't, in fact my amp is usually running flat too. Sure they don't hit like a 12" sub would, but they're plenty well rounded, especially for their modest dimensions and compare well with much cheaper 8" speakers in terms of bass output and blow them away for detail.

Plus the single driver in a smaller box will free up a lot of trunk space.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:24 AM   #18
RedlineRacer
Zilvia FREAK!

RedlineRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to RedlineRacer Send a message via AIM to RedlineRacer
Quote:
Originally posted by popey
Get some alpine type r 12" subs - there about 120each, come in pairs on ebay. so around 240ish?
Those are really nice. I have two Alpine Type S. I got them off Ebay for $75 a piece (this included shipping), they sell in stores for 119 a piece. They a dual voice coil and have a 200 RMS rating. I made a ported box and they hit very tight and loud. I listen to alot of rock. I think you would really like these.
RedlineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 12:24 PM   #19
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
okay, I think a lot of you aren't helping his specific wants/needs. He's said he wants 12s under $80, he had a box already, and he doesn't care about super bassy music, cuz he likes punk. I can relate, I listen to punk and alt.rock more than anything, and I agree, a sealed box is definitely the way to go.

What i did to keep costs down was scout out top of the line, but older, drivers. I ended up with a couple 10" MTX Blue Thunder (not the crappy thunders, there's a couple differnt BT series). I wanted the same thing. Accuracy over volume. Bandpass is for forcing more air around, and more volume but you lose accuracy, I don't know what your ear meter tells u, VU meters don't lie.

Just another route you might think about. If cost is an issue, think about scouting used gear (just make sure u test it out first!). Kinda like buying a 911 turbo porshe... definitely can't afford a new one, but a late 70's one could be doable

www.360realms.com/S13-S15
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:45 PM   #20
S13CRAVE
Zilvia Junkie

S13CRAVE is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to S13CRAVE
look in crutchfield. they are having a huge sale on speaker sets and subs to make room for new models. polk, rockford fosgate, etc. good stuff.

-Ian
S13CRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 03:35 AM   #21
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Crutchfield will STILL be more expensive than other online retailers. Just cough up a couple more dollars and get a Alpine TypeR.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:45 AM   #22
Steeles
Post Whore!

Steeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura aboutSteeles has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Steeles Send a message via Yahoo to Steeles
Quote:
Originally posted by TheTimanator
Ever looked into the Infinity Basslink? I've heard great things about it. Plus, if your like me and want to be able to remove the extra weight easily...it's all one piece. Just a thought.
yup I got one in y trunk now.. It'll be in the pit somewhere at convention dont steal it!! I'll cut ya