Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
pigeon
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (9)
pigeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
s13 BN, LS + backyard engineering

Whats up, my names Shankle, been toying with the idea of a build thread for a while, I figured I have enough to start one now that should progress fairly quickly until completion. Rewind to 2011 November my last event at Summit before I came up with the great idea of taking apart a running car.

I wanted it to be lower, look cooler, go faster and just be more awesome all around. So naturally this happened..

Sold off pretty much everything except my suspension, and a few wheels.
It took until about May to sell off everything, but the first thing I bought was a shit ton of 1.5 seamless tube and a JD2 bender and notcher. That kept me busy for a while.

Felt pretty happy about the fitment of my first cage, I'm 6.2 so I needed it to be as tight as possible. Then I continued to cut things off the car which would force me to learn how to fab at a higher level. This is strickly hobby only, Ill be the first to tell you how everything I do could be better.
Anyways I think Im having more fun building this thing than I will driving it.

Finally got around to picking up some cool parts from George and MAMotorsports

I have been wanting to cage a car since high school, so after 6 years of ideas from all types of car and track events etc, this is what I started coming up

The door bars are my favorite part. I have so much room inside the car its not funny.
Went to Road A and then palm beach with Mr. Lewallen

He built a pretty sick rig, and drives it even better, you should check him out.
I got this idea from my jeep, I like being able to just lift the doors off. So I cut up the door brackets/hinges what ever you want to call them and made it so I can just lift the door skins off.

Should make working on this thing easier.
Doing drastic things

Rear firewall, copied Miro here.
Fitment is more important with welding instead of wheels Im finding out

Got a box for fuel

Made a box for the box

Did the whole subframe thing
Steering colum holder. Dimple because there cool, welds= bag of dicks as usual.

More unessacary cutting and fab

Made a stinger for the front of my jeep, got one set of fn's powder coated.

Made a fab table

Got a compressor and small lathe

More Dimples to try and be cool

Booger welded in place

Figured I could use more bars for when I wreck and roll this thing and my shit welds break loose. Triangulation..

Yes that is a Aileron from a airplane on top of the car It will be used...
Typical collection of stickers

Got some solid mounts

Started making roll center correction stuff and mono ball things to replace the ball joint that pukes grease everywhere. More lathe stuff, found out that i need a bearing with a higher misalignment. There on order, more waiting.

Both the tie rod and ball joint tapers on the spindle had to be drilled out to a straight 5/8 and 3/4 shank. Saw this happen on Stew Leasks car and it seemed pretty bitchen.
Should be able to get some decent angle with my flca's scalloped out for the tie rod (now hiem) and the knuckles from MA. So I figured I should move the rack forward too.

Got it to move forward about an inch or so

Shouldnt have any over centering problems.
Got a TIG machine and redid my front bar.

Learning a lot every time I pick up the torch.
Renforcing

That's pretty much where I'm at right now. I need to buy a shit ton of fiber glass and finish the fab work, and then hopefully before the year is up I'll be driving this thing..
Non car related I made a rottisery

And put a Airplane on it.

Everyone loves a homeless looking dog

Last edited by pigeon; 04-05-2013 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: change title
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links