Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
ashtonroche
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
ashtonroche is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Justins 730rwhp, 530wtq S14 Build!!!!!

So I may not be building my own car as of right now as funds are just not an option for it, you better believe I havent gone anywhere and still continue to build SR's. This build for now a great friend of mine, Justin, kinda fell back into my hands after a horror story start by a local performance shop here in Central Texas. Justin dropped off his S14 to this shop before deploying for 9 months, the plan was a 600whp ve-t setup. Well funny thing was I had been doing work for the owner of the shop whenever they would get anything complicated in and since I heard about this build from the very get go, as I helped plan a lot of it out, I figured I would be the one to assemble this motor. Boy was I wrong, the owner didnt want to pay my labor rate to assemble and do this $25k plus build on this S14. Granted I didnt even know the owner yet. Well so assembly started just prior to Justin getting back. After an internal employee dispute and people leaving and horrible customer experiences, Justin no longer wanted the shop to do the build. Well they already assembled the motor. So through the shops part guy, also friend of mine, we get the car into my hands and I sit down with Justin and go over the build. We get the motor to my house and I right away inspect it, first things first, the cams were not even in time. Intake cam was one tooth advanced and granted every part on this car is brand spankin new, chains, guides, cams, everything.

So we decided it would be best to start from scratch as there was no telling what had gone on. So I go to take the head off and once off I see there was no head dowels put in place and the head was not machined for them either. Kid who assembled it threw them out because they didnt fit. Secondly, I look at the pistons and see 3 of the 4 pistons are installed backwards, intake valve reliefs on the exhaust side on 3 of the 4 pistons as well as the rods mounted wrong, tangs not even on the correct side and so on. I also see big clumps of soot, dirt and debris sitting on the pistons and the walls are coated in dirt. Well that steamed from them not even having the tenacity to clean the head up. The ports literally had a crap ton of soot, dirt, cobwebs, and so on in the exhaust ports that in turn fell back down onto the pistons during assembly. So needless to say, I hot tanked the head, soaked the ports in egr cleaner and cleaned them with a fine bristle brush until they were spotless then hot tanks and cleaned again and blew out all ports and passages and did the same with the valve train. Here in the pics you can see what i was dealing with. Needless to say this motor wouldnt have survived the first hit of vvl and all the intake valves would have went bye bye with the cam off a tooth and so on. The rings were not gapped either and sitting at .003" or less on the top ring. Close enough that some serious damage would have resulted. So had to gap all rings as well. Through this whole thing they had charged him full labor for engine assembly and in the end after showing the shop just how bad they messed up, they only gave him back a very small portion of what they had charged. So all in all they screwed him but on the bright side it was into my hands which the owner wanted.

So I continue on, disassembled the entire engine and started over, cleaning everything spotless, all oil ports were high pressure cleaned and so on. Here is what the build specs consisted of. All internals were mic'd, clearance checked and so on to ensure the shop didnt mix any rod caps or damage anything.

Engine:
SR20DET S15 Block Mazworx Sleeved and Stepped Deck and machined for 1/2" head studs, line honed with the Mazworx main studs and all freeze plugs, plugs, and so on were replaced.
Stock valve SR20VE P11 head with Brian Crower Springs and Titanium Retainers with N1 cams set at 0,0.
Manley Turbo Tuff I-Beam rods
CP 9:1 86mm pistons with Upgraded wrist pins
ACL Race STD H series bearings
All ring gaps set to CP specs for Turbo application
Stock DET crank
BNIB VE oil pump, pickup tube (modified for rwd application), 5mm pump collar, chains, guides, tensioner all factory nissan parts.
ATI super damper
Mazworx 1/2" head studs and standard main studs
PE Apexi 1.5mm 86mm headgasket (make sure to use a compatible headgasket thats for an s14/s15 block or youll spew oil out the front)
Canton Racing Aluminum high capacity baffled oil pan. 4.8 qt capacity
PRL Billet Intake Plenum kit with 90mm throttle body (use older b13 style tps) bolted to stock VE runners
Custom made equal length exhaust manifold with Tial 44mm gate, had to relocate the wg flange as it was hitting the shock tower but easy fix
BW S362 Billet wheel with T3 .82 Turbine housing. Very similar to a 6266 Precision turbo.
P11 Valve cover with welded on bungs for crankcase ventilation
Mazworx VVL Solenoid Relocation Kit
-3 Turbo Oil feed line
-10 drain line
Coolant port on block and coolant outlet blocked.

Trans:
06 Z33 Trans with external slave CD0009 I believe is the code on it.
Bellhousing shaved down 5/8" here locally to accomidate the adapter plate.
Autotech Motoring SR to VQ trans adapter kit
We custom fabbed the shifter bracket to move it 8" closer to the shift linkage, shortened the linkage as well done by Arsenal Garage
Competition Clutch 6 speed Twin Disk Clutch Setup (must use the 1/2" extension plate for clutch to be all the way into bellhousing)
Custom Driveshaft that we had to get shortened 1" to fit due to the S15 differential.
S15 Differential and stock axles

Fuel System:
Twin Walbro 340 in-tank pumps, custom mounted by myself (have to stagger one pump slightly higher than the other to fit down into s14 fuel tank)
Aeromotive inline fuel filter
-8 Braided e85 compatible hose for the feed, -6 for the return
Aeromotive AFPR
AEM Flex Fuel sensor inline with return to tank
Radium Fuel Rail (required custom brackets to mount to ve runners, ports lined up perfectly)
FID 2150cc injectors (all tophats removed to clear PRL Plenum)
Pumps are actuated in Stage, one pump stays running all the time, 2nd pump kicks on at 7psi of boost. This was done due to fuel pressure drops from the regulator having to be turned down too much to maintain 45psi base pressure. With one pump on we could tighten the spring of the regulator to maintain that fuel pressure when fuel demand went higher.

Electronics:
AEM Infinity 8H Standalone
Harness redone by me to add all sensors, adapt the new coils and so on
AEM Wideband UEGO
AEM Wideband Sensor directly wired in to Infinity for full a/f control. The unit has its own full onboard wideband controller
AEM Flex Fuel Sensor and fittings
AEM 150psi fuel and oil pressure sensors
AEM 5 Bar Map sensor
AEM IAT Sensor
AEM Boost Control Solenoid
AEM 50psi Boost gauge
Audi R8/2.0T Red series coils (very high output and require 5v trigger, make sure your ems is capable to fire them)

Misc:
3" intercooler piping custom cut and welded by me and Aresenal Garage here locally
Ebay 32X12X4 intercooler
3" SS Downpipe with 2 Wideband Bungs Custom made by Aresenal Garage
90* elbow welded onto compressor housing by Aresenal Garage
Bungs welded onto valve cover via Arsenal Garage
Koyo Radiator and Samco hoses, dual spal fans triggered by Infinity

Minor details in the build:

Opted to not have ATI Damper shaved down to align belts properly, instead shimmed the water pump pulley out and modified alternator mount slightly. The alternator was slightly out of line but hasnt proved to be an issue. Like I mentioned before, if you do this build using an s14/s15 block be sure to use an s14/s15 compatible gasket that has the sealing around the oil feed port for the VCT at the passenger side front corner of the block. A VET gasket will not seal this and will spew oil everywhere when started. Forgot this was an S15 block originally and yeah, had to change the gasket out or you can block the port which would require machining and yeah we werent pulling the motor back out for that. The transmission mount with this swap lined up on the back two bolts and the mounts are solid mounts. Everything held up great thus far. Here is the pics.

ashtonroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
ashtonroche
Zilvia Junkie

And here is the results:

[video=youtube;rJcoh81GIvc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJcoh81GIvc[/video]

https://www.facebook.com/ashton.roch...88146741232613
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJcoh81GIvc
Old 12-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
ashtonroche
Zilvia Junkie

Didnt get to finish the thread up till now. Enjoy. It was definitely a fun build and glad I got it out of the hands of the shop it was originally at. Got a couple little things to finish up on it to clean it up some and take care of some minor things like bolts rattling loose. Gonna loctite all the bolts for the alternator bracket, starter, and so on that bolt to the engine and then install a ground kit. Then remove the s15 ecu harness adapter as its a mess as far as wires go and that way it will be hard wired and no pins to worry about.

Had this made for my friend, the owner of the car for a Christmas gift.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Ramonesfreak2010
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Ramonesfreak2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
videos please.
Ramonesfreak2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:49 AM   #5
htc.zenit

htc.zenit is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice build! And yes, VIDEOS PLEASE
htc.zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
10psitx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
10psitx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I lost track of this car after it went to Killeen....i gave it up for dead, glad to see it alive and kicking ass!....Are the wheels and body still in good shape?
10psitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
ashtonroche
Zilvia Junkie

Yeah they are in good shape. I'll get some better overall car pics later. He's gonna put a different front bumper on that will clear the intercooler and so on.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Juan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura about
Phenomenal work, if you don't mind me asking why did you go with a single scroll T3 instead of a Twin Scroll T4?

(951)708-1648 | [email protected]
Juan@Fontananissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #9
1Day
Zilvia Junkie

1Day is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice! I still see this car in its old Supermade get up, Sidewaysil80's old car I believe . Glad to see that its still alive and not in a bone yard somewhere.
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #10
10psitx
Zilvia Member

10psitx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonroche View Post
Yeah they are in good shape. I'll get some better overall car pics later. He's gonna put a different front bumper on that will clear the intercooler and so on.
Good to know, I owned the car for a while here in Austin and did some work on the engine and tried to clean up the wiring mess. I sold it to my buddy who sold it to your buddy.....I'd hate to see those wheels get trashed they were a very expensive custom barrel setup for the rear and the front bumper was brand new just before the car sold. Let me know if you need the paint code. What did he do with the PBM setup?
10psitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #11
Highway Riding
Zilvia Addict

Highway Riding is an unknown quantity at this point
Well done.. Thanks for sharing.. .
Old 12-29-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
ashtonroche
Zilvia Junkie

The ve head likes to flow on the exhaust side, smaller t3 twin scrolls tend to choke top end. A t4 larger frame twin scroll is OK but didn't want to go with too big of a turbo. We are maxing this bw 62mm out as well as the intercooler. We put the boost at 38 but past 7k it tapered down fast to 35, torque went to 585 when we did that but no HP gain. 34 Psi made the same power meaning the turbo is maxed. The spool is still pretty good. When vvl hits at 4600 its instant full boost, fat powerband and don't have to rev to the moon. Jorge wanted to see a 6466 on this motor and said at the same boost level it would make prob 850 no issue, that and a bigger intercooler. Room for upgrades, in the mean time this motor didn't even sweat making 730