Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
garofalory
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
garofalory is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thumbs down Need help on getting my money back from paint job

I have searched a good amount and have found some things about getting my money back from the shitty paint job I paid $950 for. I had a guy paint my car (in a business park with a rented garage.) Cost me $950 for body and paint. Took three weeks to get my car done, and it looks like a $150 TJ paint job.

The old saying, "you get what you paid for," does not apply to this. I paid $950 and got a $150 paint job.

I'm going to list all that's wrong with it (got an actual paint guy to look at it)

*Single Stage* when he said it had two coats of base and three coats of clear(unfortunately did not get it in writing)
Visible dings everywhere
Roof has stripes of where he painted
See the areas where the car was bondo-ed (the area is protruding out)
Underneath both driver and passenger door, you can see where the car was red
Paint easily comes off with finger nail
Insufficient coverage (dry spray everywhere)
Dirt all over the car, mixed in with the paint
Orange Peel everywhere
The rubber trim on both doors were painted
Passenger door still has scratches from sanding that is visible
Crack on the front bumper
Areas where the paint is flaking
Hood has striping on the hood

Needless to say I want my money back and do not want to go back to him to get it fixed. I understand him taking money for the supplies, but not labor since he sat on his ass for three weeks then did it all in two days.

Does anyone have any experience with a paint job gone bad?? I want to file a complaint or go to small claims, but I would like to hear from someone who went through this.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
sorry, your fucked.

dont worry, i too got fucked by a body shop. lots of people have.

be happy your fucking car got painted. mine sat for 3 years and didnt get paint at all. and they got 2k of my money. and my wheels got stolen. dont believe me? search my old posts.

2 years after my car was painted, i recovered my stolen wheels... imagine that. dont believe me? search my old posts.

you paid for a shitty paint job. lesson learned, move on.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
I take it that your wet sanding session was a fail lol.

There's absolutely no way you'll get your money back by verbal dispute. If it really matters, take it to court. You'll probably lose because the car was painted & you have no written proof that says "my car will be painted the right way"
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Fearell
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
Fearell is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
What did you expect for $900? There is a reason paint jobs are expensive. It takes time to do body work correctly and skill to make it look right. Sorry, but unless you can prove that there was a certain level of professionalism to be expected you're probably SOL.

When we paint cars everything comes off. Belt moldings, handles, glass, bumpers, lights. You just can't get that for $900 and expect to have 20 years of dents taken out too.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
S14TEENZ
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
S14TEENZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Damn this is sad....but there are red flags everywhere in your post that would have stopped someone one from even think about getting a paint job.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
yep you're pretty much fucked.

unless you had some kind of written proposal of the work to be done, it's basically your words vs his. what is a $150 paint job to you and what were you expecting for how much you paid? he could say his billing rate is $200/hr and say it is a $5000 paint job so you should be glad he gave you a discount and only charged you $950.

i'm not a lawyer, but if you want to take it further you could hire one and bring him to court and it will probably cost you more than $950. just take it as a learning experience and choose a more reputable body shop next time instead of a joe schmoe working out of a rented garage.

look at the bright side, at least your car is one solid color which is more than most people can say about their 240sx on the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
xh3nry
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
xh3nry is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Take it as a lesson learned, next time set things on paper and go to someone reputable.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Banana_Cute
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (16)
Banana_Cute is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
LOL. damn looks like he pulled a fast one on you. Told you he can paint it for $950, turn around and GOT IT paint it elsewhere. one of those 1 day paint job.

Sucks.

Simplicity is the key to brilliance
Banana_Cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
Dany
Zilvia Addict

Dany is an unknown quantity at this point
like everyone says u cant really do nothing maybe but wat u can do is let ppl know about that guy so he wont get jobs and no money eventually karma will get him for not doing it right but i would just make him look bad.. im 18 and i probably wouldve done a way better paint job them him.. good luck with everything though bro
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Banana_Cute
Zilvia FREAK!

Banana_Cute is an unknown quantity at this point
Question is, do you know the guy personally? You stated, in your other thread, you went to him instead of a reputable shop.

this was done in the garage by my dad's next door neighbor. for $300. Just because you paid cheap doesnt necessarily mean it'll look cheap.

Simplicity is the key to brilliance
Banana_Cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Lesson learned, hope you learned from your experience

I decided a while ago that I was going to paint my s14 myself
I mean, how hard can it be?
figured it be a few weekends of elbow work to have something that looks better than a Maaco job

well, a few months after and ~$400 in supplies (still need to buy base and clear btw)
I'm still blocking and looking to do some more bodywork
and mind you, I have access at work to paint guns and other tools and our shop gets a discount at the paint store down the street...
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post
Lesson learned, hope you learned from your experience

I decided a while ago that I was going to paint my s14 myself
I mean, how hard can it be?
figured it be a few weekends of elbow work to have something that looks better than a Maaco job

well, a few months after and ~$400 in supplies (still need to buy base and clear btw)
I'm still blocking and looking to do some more bodywork
and mind you, I have access at work to paint guns and other tools and our shop gets a discount at the paint store down the street...
years ago, i paid around 2k in materials. its all subjective. you dont know what something is worth and how difficult it is, until you buy the materials your self - work with them, and then attempt to DO IT YOURSELF. thats the thing about jobs, everyone gets hung up over money and rarely thing about "the job," let alone doing it properly and following procedures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana_Cute View Post

this was done in the garage by my dad's next door neighbor. for $300. Just because you paid cheap doesnt necessarily mean it'll look cheap.
i hate when people post a photo of "a painted car"

for one, your photo is low resolution
second, its from a distance
third, its a photo of a painted finish. anyone who paints can tell you that its not just the appearance, but also the prep/adhesion.

thats what your paying for. someone to remove EVERYTHING, prep EVERYTHING, paint SOME OF IT, then put EVERYTHING back together ------ and its supposed to hold up for XX amount of years (hopefully).
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Haha... You got what you payed for man.

My dad is in the buisness... You couldnt even get the front end painted for $950 from a reputable shop using quality materials.

Like ixfxi said, its all in the prep work... Dont expect a $5000 paintjob for what you payed. Your shit out of luck.

Just to put things in perspective, a gallon of good quality paint (ie Nason, BASF, PPM, etc.) will run you anywhere from 6-900 dollars depending on the color. Add in the bondo (quality stuff, not the walmart bondo brand), good tape, sand paper, etc etc. and our materials will run you more than $900 bucks.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Exactly my point
at the end of the day I'll be ~$900 in materials and a fuck load of work
for a decent (I hope) paint job using bargain quality products

reminds me
last week I stopped by a reputable paint shop near my house
to inquire what it'll cost to have one of their painters spray my car in one of their booths
~$450 if I bring my own materials and do my own masking
I asked what the added cost would be if they provided paint and clear as well
~$1500 just in paint and clear since they only use PPG
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
trickey1991
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
trickey1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
my prep work cost more then $950 lol
Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #16
garofalory
Leaky Injector

garofalory is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd like if people could explain their experiences or how they would think I could get my money back. I already found a bunch of reasons and ways. To those of you who say $950 isn't a lot, it isn't but it is. $950 gets you a 10x better paint job than this.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #17
2slow2go
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
2slow2go will become famous soon enough2slow2go will become famous soon enough2slow2go will become famous soon enough2slow2go will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
yup 950 is way too cheap.... i think a 400 macco might have more shine then that
2slow2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #18
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
Reality is something school didn't teach you
a) zilvia.net/the internet is not a place to ask for help when you want money back
b) you have a problem with the person that painted your car, you need to talk to him and work it out.

$950 paint jobs are opinionated and depend on the bodyman more then anything. A talented individual could hook a guy up for $200 if he didn't want to make any money, or $20,000 if the customer was a stupid Lamborghini owner. Paint codes and prep are similar for many different applications.

Best of luck. You really are on your own.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #19
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
what is a bitch with painting is blending, sometimes the paint mixer can totally fuck you. thats why you probably see stripes lol
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #20
JasianBlazin
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (24)
JasianBlazin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
in for some close up pics.
JasianBlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #21
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Looks like $950 paint job to me.
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #22
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
I told you there was something wrong with that WV2. Single stage, now it all makes sense.

This is why I have set aside a couple months to prep my entire car for paint. This shit takes time, when you slack out on the prep work, you pay the ultimate price.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #23
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Not using shitty single stage paint helps alot on the outcome to.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
KA-Life86
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
KA-Life86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I spent 950 on just materials to paint my last car lol. You're not getting your money back, you said yourself you have nothing in writing, so basically you have no case.
KA-Life86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #25
buentellomma
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
buentellomma is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by garofalory View Post
I have searched a good amount and have found some things about getting my money back from the shitty paint job I paid $950 for. I had a guy paint my car (in a business park with a rented garage.) Cost me $950 for body and paint. Took three weeks to get my car done, and it looks like a $150 TJ paint job.

The old saying, "you get what you paid for," does not apply to this. I paid $950 and got a $150 paint job.

I'm going to list all that's wrong with it (got an actual paint guy to look at it)

*Single Stage* when he said it had two coats of base and three coats of clear(unfortunately did not get it in writing)
Visible dings everywhere
Roof has stripes of where he painted
See the areas where the car was bondo-ed (the area is protruding out)
Underneath both driver and passenger door, you can see where the car was red
Paint easily comes off with finger nail
Insufficient coverage (dry spray everywhere)
Dirt all over the car, mixed in with the paint
Orange Peel everywhere
The rubber trim on both doors were painted
Passenger door still has scratches from sanding that is visible
Crack on the front bumper
Areas where the paint is flaking
Hood has striping on the hood

Needless to say I want my money back and do not want to go back to him to get it fixed. I understand him taking money for the supplies, but not labor since he sat on his ass for three weeks then did it all in two days.

Does anyone have any experience with a paint job gone bad?? ]
First- single stage paint is not a base coat then clear coat process, he lied to you or you got the info mixed up. Single stage is a high gloss solid color and is garbage but cheap- which is probably why he charged you next to nothing. From what issues you stated with the post "paint job" your best bet is to remove all that paint because this guy did not do much prep work. From the butcher body guys I have seen or worked with he either scotch brited it and said F it or threw some comet cleaner and did the ole Maaco special. Either way that crap needs to come off
buentellomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #26
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I stopped reading here:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the only value this paint job holds for you is as a learning experience. As far as that $900 bucks? Yeah, I hope you can learn not to think about it soon, because that is gone

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #27
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickey1991 View Post
my prep work cost more then $950 lol
If you got it done it in a reputable shop, that's cheap. If that's just quality materials, and you did the work, that's still cheap.

Quote:
I'd like if people could explain their experiences or how they would think I could get my money back. I already found a bunch of reasons and ways. To those of you who say $950 isn't a lot, it isn't but it is. $950 gets you a 10x better paint job than this.
The paint job is not what you're paying for, and it's not what you're seeing as flaws for the most part, it's the prep work, plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA-Life86 View Post
I spent 950 on just materials to paint my last car lol. You're not getting your money back, you said yourself you have nothing in writing, so basically you have no case.
Exactly, i spent $400 on single stage paint, reducer, catalist, etc. that doesn't mean i did a $400 paint job. I probably spent (didn't keep full totals) near $2500 over 2 years in prep supplys, primer, sanding blocks, welding supplies, metal, tools needed to do the paint job properly, etc. At least $1500 in just direct supplies.

Your car is a single color and will likely last a year or two. Use that time to educate yourself and save some money for a reputable shop to redo the car at that time.
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #28
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Shit, I paid $500 for this paint job...

And the guy who painted it didnt even prep the car that much but atleast the paint looked good.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #29
driftthis
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
driftthis has a spectacular aura aboutdriftthis has a spectacular aura aboutdriftthis has a spectacular aura aboutdriftthis has a spectacular aura aboutdriftthis has a spectacular aura aboutdriftthis has a spectacular aura aboutdriftthis has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Have you talked to the guy who painted it? Small claims court will require more money and it sounds like you don't have much of an argument/case. Like everyone else said, lesson learned. If you can't work out a deal with the painter, go to a reputable paint shop and see how they can help make your car look the way you want it. Your photo doesn't show too much detail. But prep work is the key to a well done paint job. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #30
jdmspooge
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
jdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Geez! for that much I could have gotten you a mediocre paint job. Next time do it right! lesson learned! If you want to get a good paint job, lemme know. I can refer you to MasterCare Body and Paint in San Marcos. Let them know that "J" sent you.

They'll take care of you!
jdmspooge is offline   Reply With Quote