Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-01-2007, 12:42 AM   #31
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
I could probably help out if people want them...
Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 AM   #32
LB.Motoring
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
LB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to LB.Motoring
Future shift knob,

It aint gonna break, if it breaks, all hell breaks loose.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:56 AM   #33
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
I could probably help out if people want them...
would be great if you could let me know the brand name of the one you got. id imagine there are prob some brands that are better than others. thanks!
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:05 AM   #34
A Spec Products
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
A Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to A Spec Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon
would be great if you could let me know the brand name of the one you got. id imagine there are prob some brands that are better than others. thanks!
Just drive to Autobacs

They were selling only one brand

Try it out

If its works, then cool

If it breaks, then it was only $10

A SPEC PRODUCTS CORP
AME Wheels, Advan, ARC, Gram Lights, Nardi, Personal, Recaro, Works Bell, Work Wheels, Volk Racing, 5Zigen, & more!
626.618.1100 x 103 / aim: aspectuan
Advertiser's Specials! Read / Give Feedback! Please Rate Us!
A Spec Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:22 AM   #35
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
B&M SS, Dildo Knob, shifter extension = WIN!

The nice tightness of the best sync-age ever!
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:30 AM   #36
liv2drift045
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
liv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to liv2drift045 Send a message via MSN to liv2drift045
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Spec Products
Just drive to Autobacs

They were selling only one brand

Try it out

If its works, then cool

If it breaks, then it was only $10
there ya go... ive heard both ways... mine never broke for awhile then bam hahaha... but some friends i have still haven't broken theres

wont know until YOU try
Old 03-01-2007, 02:48 AM   #37
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
To chime in on the S12 shifter.

My favorite setup of all time, and what you will see me rocking is.

87-88 CA engine series S12 Shifter (lever is longer than S13/14 and drop in).
HKS shifter Springs
New Dealer Nylon nub (that goes into linkage inside trans)
Nismo Knob. (http://www.mynismo.com/products/?ID=2346)

By far my favorite. I have the non titanium knob, but its the exact same style (70ish bucks?). After all is said and done, it is easy to grab, and stays in gear once placed, even if i am On/Off/On/Off throttle hard.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #38
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngriff
To chime in on the S12 shifter.

My favorite setup of all time, and what you will see me rocking is.

87-88 CA engine series S12 Shifter (lever is longer than S13/14 and drop in).
HKS shifter Springs
New Dealer Nylon nub (that goes into linkage inside trans)
Nismo Knob. (http://www.mynismo.com/products/?ID=2346)

By far my favorite. I have the non titanium knob, but its the exact same style (70ish bucks?). After all is said and done, it is easy to grab, and stays in gear once placed, even if i am On/Off/On/Off throttle hard.
yes, i noticed that in the previous shifter thread. i'd certainly look up the S12 CA shifter. Is this something you can get at the dealer, or should i look somewhere else? Im interested b/c it could be a cheaper, if not also better alternative to the Nismo shifter. About the Nylon nub (this is a bushing, correct?), would installing this entail having to open up the actual tranny?
Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #39
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I enjoy the stock floppy elephant penis shifter.

that is all.
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #40
94cc0rd
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 94cc0rd
is it pointless to do a longer shifter or extension if you have a short shifter installed??
Old 03-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #41
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRussellPants
I enjoy the stock floppy elephant penis shifter.

that is all.

Yeah I ran the stock shift knob on my B&M for a while...then one day when it was really hot, I was putting it back on and I ripped the threads right out of it haha

So now I have some cheap ass noname knob and it's sweet

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
not"let's make our car look like a pile of shit and dead babies"
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #42
ZOLTAN
Zilvia Member

ZOLTAN is an unknown quantity at this point
I've also been looking into some sort of an extension for my shifter.
Been searching for a while now and just kind of gave up hope(don't want one of those tall ass plastic knobs).

A buddy of mine drives a Honda and has a nice shifter extension, but the company that made his refuses to make any for Nissans. He's kind of "sponsored" by this company and has direct contact with the owner. He's asked him several times to no avail.

Kind of a shame, there seems to be definite interest in something like this.

.Eddie.

Wow, been a while since I’ve posted here.
ZOLTAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #43
SochBAT
Post Whore!

SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cc0rd
is it pointless to do a longer shifter or extension if you have a short shifter installed??
It does cancel out its effect, but if you've ever felt a B&M SS, you'll know what i said that.

Stock Elephant Knob = FTW. I love it.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #44
A Spec Products
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
A Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to A Spec Products
Short shifters are wack

I like to know what gear I'm in

A SPEC PRODUCTS CORP
AME Wheels, Advan, ARC, Gram Lights, Nardi, Personal, Recaro, Works Bell, Work Wheels, Volk Racing, 5Zigen, & more!
626.618.1100 x 103 / aim: aspectuan
Advertiser's Specials! Read / Give Feedback! Please Rate Us!
A Spec Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #45
rubberbiscuitt

rubberbiscuitt is an unknown quantity at this point
rat fink was the first thing that came to mind when i saw the thread title long shifters. and it was awesome to see a link to mooneyes.

a long shifter is on my list of things to make. why don't you just whittle your own out of a chunk of aluminum? the aluminum materials won't exceed $20 and it'll be made exactly to your preferred height/backset. another thing to consider modifying is the hand brake lever.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:16 AM   #46
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
I dont know if lathing aluminum can be compared to whittle-ing.

Um, go to junkyard, pull shifter from S12, for the springs i would suggest lowering the tranny, for the bushing... well its attatched to the shifter when you remove it. Do it, and you will see.

A "short shifter" is different than a shifter with a long knob. The short represents the distance from the ball to the bushing. We are speaking of the distance between the ball to the shift knob.

Could you use a "short shifter + Long lever"? Yes.

The short shifter reduces the distance between gears(throw). The long lever might seem like it is making the "throw" different, but the lever will still be at the same angle, relative to each gear, as it was before.

SO...... Short shifter kit to reduce throw, and i like long levers because of ease of placement, additional weight to keep the trans in gear.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:23 AM   #47
SochBAT
Post Whore!

The only reason i recommend the B&M SS is the nice tight feel of it.

I've heard great things about the Nismo Solid Shifter, but i've never experienced it myself, so i can't say shit about it.

Who would let me drive their cars with it? =]
Old 03-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #48
UfoZ8myCow
Zilvia FREAK!

UfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond reputeUfoZ8myCow has a reputation beyond repute
Any of you guys with the shifter extensions from Autobacs have pics of it installed in your cars???
Old 03-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #49
Kahl

Kahl is an unknown quantity at this point
Man we don't get any of that stuff down here. Is there an online shop that sells bubble/flower shift knobs?
The only aftermarket shift knobs we get are pretty much door knobs with cheesey LEDs in them, unless you want actual brand name stuff, nismo etc...
Kahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #50
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sochbat
The only reason i recommend the B&M SS is the nice tight feel of it.

I've heard great things about the Nismo Solid Shifter, but i've never experienced it myself, so i can't say shit about it.

Who would let me drive their cars with it? =]
I've never actually experienced first hand either shifters, but from what I've read it seems that for a ss, the B&M unit has a lot of good feedback. the only negative being that it transmits a lot of vibration. If you get a weighted shiftknob, however, that seems to help somewhat. If you get a non-weighted, long shiftknob like the jdm bubble knobs, the vibration gets worse. at least thats what i've read. I just dont care for ss period, so id avoid that route anyways.

What I've heard about the Nismo unit is that (contrary to it being advertised that throws are 25% shorter), the throws are pretty much the same as oem, only that the shift throws feels more precise and solid. My guess is that its pretty much an oem shifter but with stiffer bushings. I guess its possible to get the Nismo shifter feel by simply replacing the oem bushings with the Nismo replacements. however, i've never actually seen nismo bushings for sale. this is actually what a lot of the wrx guys do. they just change a bunch of bushings with more stiff replacements from kartboy and cip, iirc.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #51
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahl
Man we don't get any of that stuff down here. Is there an online shop that sells bubble/flower shift knobs?
The only aftermarket shift knobs we get are pretty much door knobs with cheesey LEDs in them, unless you want actual brand name stuff, nismo etc...
i wish some of the more reputable vendors here would sell junk like shifter extensions and the gimmicky bubble knobs. there is seems to be a reasonable demand for stuff like that, yet the parts so difficult to find.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #52
Brian
Post Whore!

Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Listen up

I'm going to Autobacs tomorrow.

I am going to pick up one or MAYBE 2 of the extensions if you guys want.

PM me or reply in here or whatever.
I DO NOT want to buy them if nobody wants them.
well... i guess i could just make my shifter longer and longer. lol.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #53
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon
I've never actually experienced first hand either shifters, but from what I've read it seems that for a ss, the B&M unit has a lot of good feedback. the only negative being that it transmits a lot of vibration. If you get a weighted shiftknob, however, that seems to help somewhat. If you get a non-weighted, long shiftknob like the jdm bubble knobs, the vibration gets worse. at least thats what i've read.
I've never had any crazy vibration or anything from my B&M.

Felt tight, like i'd imagine a HighEnd car would feel like.

Again, no vibration.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:04 AM   #54
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
JaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JaeTea
Found this online...

http://www.seikosangyo.co.jp/newprod...ge_ET_025.html
JaeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:33 AM   #55
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTea
is that what an extension looks like? looks pretty cool. too bad i can't read japanese
Old 03-04-2007, 01:35 AM   #56
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sochbat
I've never had any crazy vibration or anything from my B&M.

Felt tight, like i'd imagine a HighEnd car would feel like.

Again, no vibration.
thats good to know. maybe there are other variables that may cause the vibration (or lack thereof).
Old 03-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #57
Brian
Post Whore!

^^^^
Yeah they have that angled kind.
They also have straight ones.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #58
Brian
Post Whore!

Oh, I didn't buy any at Autobacs this weekend.
but

They have short ones (maybe like 3.5 inch), long ones (maybe 6 inch), angled short ones. And these can be in black or polished.
Short ones are like $10 while tall ones were $20 I think.
Bunch in stock.

Get em....
Old 03-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #59
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Oh, I didn't buy any at Autobacs this weekend.
but

They have short ones (maybe like 3.5 inch), long ones (maybe 6 inch), angled short ones. And these can be in black or polished.
Short ones are like $10 while tall ones were $20 I think.
Bunch in stock.

Get em....
Awesome! Thanks for the info!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #60
AuburnRyan
Zilvia Member

AuburnRyan is an unknown quantity at this point
EBAY Seller "MIATAROADSTORE" $22 shipped

Seikosangyo ET-29: black, straight, 70mm, 65g