Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #31
silnv
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (39)
silnv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Send a message via AIM to silnv
Subscribing. I may look into this more in the future.

Quick question though... Do you need a S14 or S13 RWD block? Or, does it matter? I have a stroker s13 block that I have not been able to sell, so I was thinking about using it for this swap one day, but didn't know if it would work.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #32
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by autotechmotoring View Post
Most available aftermarket performance parts are only available for the P11 heads. The P12 heads uses different valve springs, retainers, guides, seals, valves etc. The exhaust ports are exactly the same on both P11 and P12 vs the intake is slightly different in port dimensions and bolt on locations.

The main difference that would make the P12 head "flow" better is that it uses a smaller diameter valve stem 5.5mm vs most SR's that use 6mm.

I didnt know you were on the forum !?! I know someone that upgraded to 6mm stem on is p12 and use p11 valve spring by machining the spring seat

Give a look to autotech motoring guys , they make killer parts for our engines !

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #33
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom2034 View Post
ive always wanted to do this but get psyched out when I read whats involved in doing it.
Ditto. I got amped up when I just now learned about it. I thought I knew just about everything you could do to an SR and was excited to learn something new. But it looks like way more work & money than I'd need to spend for my meager goals. I'd be interested in doing the VET swap & pairing it with a S15 turbo. But it sounds like this is waaaay too cost prohibitive to handcuff it with an S15 snail. Guess I got kinda excited to find out how the few S-Chassis on Hot Version videos probably achieved their level of performance on OEM components. I think I'll just stick with the typical GT2871r or EFR6258 build unless I start balling out like the rest of you guys doing this swap.
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #34
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
I have a s14 block for my ve conversion ! Lets just say its easier with a s13

I had to plug my vtc oil feed at the front of the engine ! And drill a hole in the front of the block for my oil pump cassing bolt !!!

You still need to plug the rear drain hole because its not covered completly on s13 / s14 / s15 engine

Built thread sr20vet s14
Old 02-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #35
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

My buddy Dave Briggs runs vvl killer cam on is sr24vet

Most of my built idea is from looking at this motor

I then looked at the motoiq built (sr15vet land speed record) and i saw that i didnt do what those guys did !

With the vvl killer mod you dont use oil pressure to switch from low to high lobe ! And i guess with no oil going to that vvl relocation kit in the back you dont have to plug that port under the head !

My question can i plug it of from the back (by removing the vvl relocation and pluging the port because everything is instaled on my engine

Built thread sr20vet s14

Last edited by rbs14kouki; 02-17-2014 at 07:42 PM..
Old 02-21-2014, 12:21 AM   #36
SamsonS4
BANNED

SamsonS4 is an unknown quantity at this point
whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

neo
SamsonS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:01 AM   #37
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. I keep seeing ppl mention VET builds, but I never knew where to start looking for info. Now I got some reading to do!Forgive my ignorance, guys... But I just wiki'd the SR20VET to compare it to the DET and I have a question:Wiki rated the VET at 276hp using the GT2560rs... Is that the same turbo we commomly refer to as the shitty little T25 with the 14psi limit?! If so, at what stock psi does that motor run to achieve that 276hp? I'm guessing a VET setup with an S15 GT2860RS is how all the JDM tuners in the Hot Version videos are hitting like claims of 380hp for what they call 'fairly cheap while using OEM parts'. I always thought they were bullshitting...
They have a OEM SR20VET that is AWD, It only uses VVL on the intake cam. The Exhaust cam doesn't kick like the non turbo SR20VE P11 and P12 SR20VE. The SR20VET head is the same as the SR20VE P12 head you just need exhaust rockers from a N/A VE to make the conversion. The cams are also milder on the SR20VET. Confused yet lol?

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #38
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs14kouki View Post

I then looked at the motoiq built (sr15vet land speed record) and i saw that i didnt do what those guys did !

With the vvl killer mod you dont use oil pressure to switch from low to high lobe ! And i guess with no oil going to that vvl relocation kit in the back you dont have to plug that port under the head !

My question can i plug it of from the back (by removing the vvl relocation and pluging the port because everything is instaled on my engine
What exactly is the point of running a ve head with gigantic cams without using the VVL? lol Car will be a complete slug down low.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #39
autotechmotoring
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (9)
autotechmotoring will become famous soon enoughautotechmotoring will become famous soon enoughautotechmotoring will become famous soon enoughautotechmotoring will become famous soon enoughautotechmotoring will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewantkouki View Post
What exactly is the point of running a ve head with gigantic cams without using the VVL? lol Car will be a complete slug down low.
Eliminating the VVL will be mainly used for non-street cars. VVL requires oil pressure for activation and by eliminating it generally increases oil pressure. It also lightnens up the valvetrain slightly. Most race cars are operating at higher rpm ranges anyways so the more aggressive main cam lobs are being used at all times.
autotechmotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #40
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

This is a sr24vet with the vvl killer mod

Around 700whp

Gtx3582r
Fullrace mani
Gforce gsr transmission
C16 race fuel
(No NOS in those pull)

http://youtu.be/Mom7xkCVcto

http://youtu.be/Gl4Tn4AnQMw

Built thread sr20vet s14
Old 02-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #41
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Eliminating the VVL will be mainly used for non-street cars. VVL requires oil pressure for activation and by eliminating it generally increases oil pressure. It also lightnens up the valvetrain slightly. Most race cars are operating at higher rpm ranges anyways so the more aggressive main cam lobs are being used at all times.
+ to have intake port way bigger vs a det engine will help too

Built thread sr20vet s14
Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #42
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
They have a OEM SR20VET that is AWD, It only uses VVL on the intake cam. The Exhaust cam doesn't kick like the non turbo SR20VE P11 and P12 SR20VE. The SR20VET head is the same as the SR20VE P12 head you just need exhaust rockers from a N/A VE to make the conversion. The cams are also milder on the SR20VET. Confused yet lol?

Yes. Thoroughly. So you use the OEM N/A VE cams and exhaust rockers in the VET head so that you'll have VVL on both the intake & exhaust side? I'm still trying to determine if this is worth my time & effort since I have pretty mild goals. I need to see some video or dyno breakdowns to see what are the real world merits of this. Like, if someone did what you described above & used a stock DET turbo like a T25 or T28, what would the gains be? What would this VET conversion yield with a GT2871r or EFR 6258 versus a DET head? Trying to compare & contrast...
Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #43
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I'll post the dyno later, but back when these swaps weren't main stream, there was a guy with a blue hatch that had a DET making just under 400whp on a GT3076R. Mazworx did the VET conversion for him. With just the head swap and other necessary components( intake manifold, injectors, throttle body, tune) he made 491whp at 18-19psi. This was with the same stock bottomend and exhaust components. So in other words, the swap gave him almost 100hp. Obviously you aren't going to see results like that with a t25/28 but better/higher flowing turbos will compliment this head much better. If you're looking for high hp or a very responsive 450hp, this is what you want/need. The DET flows like shit plain and simple.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #44
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^Ooo wee... Thats the kind of testimonials I'm looking for. Thanks.

So let me ask: VET head with VE cams/exhaust rockers on stock DET block bolted up with an S15 GT2860r @ 14psi... 350whp sound realistic? Waste of time? What other factors should I consider?

Last edited by simmode1; 02-25-2014 at 04:26 PM..
Old 02-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #45
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Quote:
Yes. Thoroughly. So you use the OEM N/A VE cams and exhaust rockers in the VET head so that you'll have VVL on both the intake & exhaust side? I'm still trying to determine if this is worth my time & effort since I have pretty mild goals. I need to see some video or dyno breakdowns to see what are the real world merits of this. Like, if someone did what you described above & used a stock DET turbo like a T25 or T28, what would the gains be? What would this VET conversion yield with a GT2871r or EFR 6258 versus a DET head? Trying to compare & contrast...
Easiest thing would be to get the P11 SR20VE head. way more of them around than the 20V and VET head.

GT2868 on E85 rwd VE+T.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #46
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:

So let me ask: VET head with VE cams/exhaust rockers on stock DET block bolted up with an S15 GT2860r @ 14psi... 350whp sound realistic? Waste of time? What other factors should I consider?
Here is the plot, green is DET, red VET. This was done on an internally stock DET bottom end and VE head.

Here is the same guy/setup that Yellow4g63 posted but on C16, but his setup is far from stock.

"The Spec:

BLOCK:
SR20det Block 87mm bore stock sleeves
CP pistons for 9:1 SR20DE(T)
Eagle Rods.
ARP Mains, rods, Head
Calico coated ACL "race" bearings. (STD +.0002 oil clearance)
P11 SR20VE timing cover/oil pump
Cosworth 1.1mm headgasket.

HEAD:
P11 SR20VE head, (decked 1mm for 10.5:1)
P11 SR20ve Stock Cams (advanced 2.5 Degrees to make up for Decking)
SuperTECH Valve springs (the lighter of the 2 HD sets for VE)
SKULLWORKS VE Conversion Packeage. (now with stuff AND things)
Cut and flipped Stock P11 Intake manifold.

HoT StUfF:
Repurposed Megan manifold for EXT WG and V-band outlet
Forced Performance HTA 2868 turbo,
TiAl V-band Turbine Housing,
TiAl MV-R wasting Gate (might be MV-S actually...)
V-band 3" downpipe and integrated WG return (no screamer pipes here ladies)

Cold Stuff:
Blitz big by large FMIC
custom Ghetto Compton intercooler piping,
Greddy BOV (it works no F7Cks given)
Stock SR20VE ~70mm TB
1000cc RC injectors

Whiz Bang Stuff:
AEM EMS series 2
S15 Stock Coils,
Sensors and stuff,
serial gauge,
Oil pressure gauge"
Old 02-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #47
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
You could try messing around with the stock X-Trail turbo. It can still be bought new from around the world for pretty cheap.

Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #48
SamsonS4
BANNED

Quote:

I'm no expect but why not go a larger turbo then s15 if you are going to do the VE swap? VE gives great response so even if you go larger it's not as laggy as a det head?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #49
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsonS4 View Post
I'm no expect but why not go a larger turbo then s15 if you are going to do the VE swap? VE gives great response so even if you go larger it's not as laggy as a det head?

Personally, I have not driven in an S-Chassis with more than 300whp. I'm a little hesitant to step up to the 450hp level because I worry about driveability & lack of traction on the street at that point. I think 350hp is more than enough to have fun with and get me into trouble. I'll probably just stick with a turbo upgrade on the DET head. VET seems like the SR big leagues and I'm just a small fry. I try to be realistic about my limits.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #50
autotechmotoring
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (9)
autotechmotoring will become famous soon enoughautotechmotoring will become famous soon enoughautotechmotoring will become famous soon enoughautotechmotoring will become famous soon enoughautotechmotoring will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Realistically you can but with virtually any turbo setup you use with the VE head will out gain anything you try and do with a DET head. The VE head stock outflows any ported/worked DET head. The increase in intake port size, combustion chamber design and factory head characteristics will help the turbo work alot more efficiently and lower/mid rpm range.

The only downfall in the stock VE head is the exhaust guides and valves and the head was not made for extreme heat from a turbo setup. The VET 20V head is a good option but you are not going to find a cylinder head setup by itself rarely and the full longblocks are still going in the 2K range vs you can by a complete VE P11 longblock for around 800
autotechmotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:00 AM   #51
SamsonS4
BANNED

Quote:
Realistically you can but with virtually any turbo setup you use with the VE head will out gain anything you try and do with a DET head. The VE head stock outflows any ported/worked DET head. The increase in intake port size, combustion chamber design and factory head characteristics will help the turbo work alot more efficiently and lower/mid rpm range.

The only downfall in the stock VE head is the exhaust guides and valves and the head was not made for extreme heat from a turbo setup. The VET 20V head is a good option but you are not going to find a cylinder head setup by itself rarely and the full longblocks are still going in the 2K range vs you can by a complete VE P11 longblock for around 800
I'm not good with turbo sizing but how would a vet set up act with a gtr-s set up? I had one on my old set up w/ s14 SR20DET and netted 350HP
Old 02-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #52
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

CaBS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I'm not good with turbo sizing but how would a vet set up act with a gtr-s set up? I had one on my old set up w/ s14 SR20DET and netted 350HP
A GTR-S will be way to small for a VET head conversion, they're not even that great on a normal DET head.

SXDevelopments on Facebook
CaBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #53
xilovelsdx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
xilovelsdx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xilovelsdx
I wish there was a definitive how to thread for what is involved in one of these swaps.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #54
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
^ serious..?

1. P11 or P12 head
2. VVL relocation plates if you have a p11 head. (solenoid is larger)
3. Sr20ve oil pump
4. Pistons with valve reliefs if you plan on running anything larger than p11 cams
5. 20V cas (won't clear s14 lhd firewall)
6. Hall sensor kit if you opt not to use 20v cas
7. fwd sr20de or any other aftermarket sr20 cam gears.
8. sr20ve oil pump drive gear or mazworx spacer
9. machined stock pulley
10. plug oil drain port on block
11. plug oil drain port on head
12. Drill and tap oil feed for vvl solenoid. (side of head)
13. Oil feed line to vvl
14. Oval bolt holes on sr20det manifold of choice or build one with ve flange
15. Mazworx oil pickup tube
16. Mazworx or taarks water pipe
17. aem / denso pencil coils for p11 or s15 coil packs for p12 head
18. Head gasket of choice
19. Cut / flip stock upper intake manifold or xcessive, hypertune, mazworx plenum (xcessive / hypertune are the only options right now for p12 heads)

Pretty sure that's about it.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #55
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

CaBS is an unknown quantity at this point

This is Hypertunes new 347 stainless manifold. One of the better VE manifolds going around!

SXDevelopments on Facebook
CaBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #56
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs14kouki View Post

Ok so i talked to the guys at mazworx ! There vvl relocation covers that oil port and we dont need to plug from under the head it like the guys did at motoIQ on there p12 !!!

**** this is with a mazworx plate i dont know if its the same with taarks , autotech motoring , xcessive , ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaBS View Post

This is Hypertunes new 347 stainless manifold. One of the better VE manifolds going around!
If i didnt all ready had a DOC Race manifold that is prety awesome !! I would go with that hypertune low mount manifold

Electric power steering ???

Built thread sr20vet s14
Old 03-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #57
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Almost done with my engine ! Waiting on my bellhousing to come back from the machinist !!!!

Built thread sr20vet s14
Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #58
SamsonS4
BANNED

read some guy was why do a 2.2 if it lowered your rpm range if the whole idea of vet is for high revving
Old 03-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #59
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

2.2 by bore (90mm) will not affect the rev ! A stroker kit can restrict abot more

We still get in the 8500 to 9000 with our 2.4

Built thread sr20vet s14
Old 03-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #60
hobbs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
hobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Found this floating around the web, S14/S15 lowport manifold with a chopped/welded VE flange.

hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote