Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #61
xTomCatt
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
xTomCatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Star View Post
Whats up with all the CA suggestions? They're garbage IMO. I know some people love them but I can't ever see myself buying one unless its already in the car.

If you do a 5 speed swap do it to OEM Nissan spec, no short cuts. Document everything, keep receipts, take pictures, etc. That really is an excellent example of an S13 and you're not going to find many in that condition. I totally understand the painful autotragic experience though. My 90 coupe was auto as well and I tore that shit out as soon as I could.

If you have storage space keep any OEM parts that you pull off it so you can return it to stock later. Any way you decide to go just remember documentation is extremely important for a collector car.
Thats what ill do if i go through with it. I will be documenting everything and using OEM nissan parts. Plus ill be keeping everything i change. I have no intention on selling the car, but i never know what kind of roads my life will take me down.
xTomCatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #62
xTomCatt
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM216S14 View Post
wow that's a far trip from hawaii to pa did you ship it?
No man, i havent shipped the car yet. Im active duty military stationed out here with a few months left on my contract. Once im done, it will be shipped back to PA.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #63
xTomCatt
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekunoStarBerto View Post
*Just my opinion obviously*
What's the point in buying a low mileage car if youre just gonna trash the low mile engine? Buy an unfortunate shell and restore it to its former glory and have some fun with that along the way. But leave this literal baby in its glory. If you do go on to take stuff off, take your time and store it ALL... I just feel there is no reason to do anything besides flawlessly 5spd swap it when there are few clean 40's and plenty of trash ones you can have fun with. She's beautiful man! Congrats and good luck!
Thanks for the compliments bro. Im honestly to this day torn on what i want to do with it. Its too good of condition to do anything to it.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #64
Maxstyle
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
Maxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkicpe View Post
Nice pick up man! You wont find many 2 tones in PA..

Ill give you my 2 cents, in this all PA thread so far

Id go CA18det, keep it as close to oem looking as possible. Maybe deviate to front mount intercooler but thats about it. If you do that (and do it clean) it would only be worth more.

Personally I think that would be fun to drive and be close to "stock". A nice set of proper offset quality wheels with properly sized tires, lowered a little... sex

Good luck, choose wisely
Couldn't agree more. The CA18 is a great motor and will be less of a pain in the ass to deal with. The Power Steering plumbing will not have to be changed like it will be if you do a SR20. Even the Factory radiator will work if you don't want to buy an aftermarket one at this point. Upgrade to a S15 Spec R turbo and enjoy. The CA18 is a true cam over and will not have rocker arm issues. Iron block. It pretty much a 4cylinder RB engine. The SR was introduced in order to cut costs in manufacturing. Making the CA was not much less them making an RB25 in Nissan's eyes.
Maxstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #65
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTomCatt View Post
No man, i havent shipped the car yet. Im active duty military stationed out here with a few months left on my contract. Once im done, it will be shipped back to PA.
Replied to your PMs. You're military? Me too. Like I said man you've got help over here if you need it. I fully support the stuff you're talking about. Let me know when you need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxstyle View Post
Couldn't agree more. The CA18 is a great motor and will be less of a pain in the ass to deal with. The Power Steering plumbing will not have to be changed like it will be if you do a SR20. Even the Factory radiator will work if you don't want to buy an aftermarket one at this point. Upgrade to a S15 Spec R turbo and enjoy. The CA18 is a true cam over and will not have rocker arm issues. Iron block. It pretty much a 4cylinder RB engine. The SR was introduced in order to cut costs in manufacturing. Making the CA was not much less them making an RB25 in Nissan's eyes.
...so if someone wanted to build their CA18DE...where would one start
Old 02-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #66
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Coming from someone who did this a few years ago (89 Coupe XE 5spd, HUD,etc) with just over 19k miles. I JZ Swapped it, did a silvia front end, brakes, full suspension and the list goes on and on. I kick myself daily for not leaving the car stock and just buying an average car to do the build to.

Like they say, it's only original once.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #67
xTomCatt
Leaky Injector

Im gonna be really honest guys, and a lot of you aren't going to like what Im gonna say, but I've finally really came to the conclusion that I'M just going to SR/5 speed swap the car. A decent set of period correct wheels, coilovers, and brake upgrade. Don't worry, It's going to stay a two-tone. I'd never ruin that aspect of the car. Everything is going to be done correctly and it isn't going to be half assed. Hopefully some of you can forgive me and tolerate what I have planned for the car.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #68
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
At the end of the day, it's your car.

You do as you please with it. Enjoy it for what it is.

Cars are meant to be driven.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #69
xTomCatt
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
At the end of the day, it's your car.

You do as you please with it. Enjoy it for what it is.

Cars are meant to be driven.

Thanks man, I appreciate it!
Old 02-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #70
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Im gonna be really honest guys, and a lot of you aren't going to like what Im gonna say, but I've finally really came to the conclusion that I'M just going to SR/5 speed swap the car. A decent set of period correct wheels, coilovers, and brake upgrade. Don't worry, It's going to stay a two-tone. I'd never ruin that aspect of the car. Everything is going to be done correctly and it isn't going to be half assed. Hopefully some of you can forgive me and tolerate what I have planned for the car.
Approved!
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #71
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
What should I do with my unicorn?

Obviously, hack it up 'cleanly', and swap a little turd of an unservicable orphaned overseas motor with 600cc less displacement

*edit* oh, you're just going to swap the little orphaned overseas turd with 400cc less displacement, I guess that's better....
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #72
xTomCatt
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post

Obviously, hack it up 'cleanly', and swap a little turd of an unservicable orphaned overseas motor with 600cc less displacement

*edit* oh, you're just going to swap the little orphaned overseas turd with 400cc less displacement, I guess that's better....
Like I said, hopefully you guys can forgive me. I can't please everybody.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:12 PM   #73
dizzariot
Post Whore!

dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Quote:
Dude if this is your plan then don't listen to anyone else. You're already solid.

Quote:

What are you suggesting?
Old 02-08-2017, 11:33 PM   #74
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
i would never swap a 240 with less than 120k.

its got much more value the way it is now, original. Once you pull the engine the value will drop, regardless of what you install next or how much money you pour into it, you will only be decreasing the cars value.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:50 PM   #75
dizzariot
Post Whore!

You (of all people) should know that I value these cars as 'OEM as possible' to a fault...but seriously man the 'Onevia' is hideous and the SOHC KA isn't fun by any stretch of the imagination.

What the hell? He wants to essentially make it into the Japanese equivalent. I thought I was harsh.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:43 AM   #76
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
your car, do what you want to do.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:34 AM   #77
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
pull that fucking slow ass ka out and smack a sr in that bitch I would not u care if it had 20k on it. That don't change the fact it 20 + years old. And I have never herd someone one say man I really wish it had a ka in it. Come on guys lol. we just pulled the boxer out of my boys frs for a lsx. You have a good plan sir now get to it say focus
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:40 AM   #78
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
And for the people who says it's only original once. Stock any thing is lame af. Never roll stock! Tastefull mod never go out of style
Old 02-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #79
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnr32gtr View Post
And for the people who says it's only original once. Stock any thing is lame af. Never roll stock! Tastefull mod never go out of style
LSX in an FRS, huh? Yeah man makes way more sense than a Greddy turbo kit.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #80
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Yeah... Way more reliable sti ringland failure around 400 and that has a stouter boxer motor in it. Nothing cool & fast is cheep. U might be able to get one of the two on the low but not both.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #81
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Super solid plan and it's the way I personally would go. If it's within budget source a super clean sr and get a reputable shop to do the swap so you'll have invoices and receipts. Keep the paint as clean as possible and just enjoy the car since that's what it's for at the end of the day. No matter how much we want them to stock low mile s chassis will never pull crazy auction numbers like some other Japanese classics have. 5-10 years down the road, put it up on bring a trailer and chances are it'll still be one of the lowest mile s13s on the market, but without the single jingle auto someone will actually want to buy it. Hate to admit it, but these will never be very sought after stock or super desirable classics. Keeping an s chassis stashed away in hopes of getting some marginal appreciation after some absurd amount of time is only a little better than turning it into a clapped out drift slut in my book. Look after it and enjoy the hell out of it
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #82
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

^i stand my this message. Op lock this bitch up and start a build thead
Old 02-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #83
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Considering the 180SX here is already going up in price it seems like you're not doing a lot of research, dude. The Midnight Purple TypeX I bought was fairly pricey considering what they went for a year or so ago. If you're talking about USDM ones you're half right: no one wants a stock S-chassis car...

...but the Japanese ones will definitely be sought after. They were a sports car here, not economy cars. There was a 1989 TypeX CONVERSION at the auctions last month. Started life as an automatic NA and ended up manual SR20DET with TypeX aero. Went for close to $13k and it's not even a VIN plate TypeX.

My point? Making a USDM two-tone into (essentially) a JDM two-tone will be worth more money one day.

Bnr32gtr - I can't afford to get into another argument about the FRS/BRZ so we'll just have to agree to disagree, dude.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #84
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't consider them economy cars. They were sporty coupes mainly driven by middle aged folks. It was Nissan's miata with an engine that should have never came in the car.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #85
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah I was pretty much exclusively referencing usdm spec cars, of course the truly rare sport oriented specs offered in other markets will see appreciation.
On a side note, experiencing the Japanese market firsthand how high do you think prices for truly exceptional s13s will go? How active is the market in Japan for the insanely priced r34 nur spec/nsx type r/etc. and are they actually changing hands for anywhere near asking? Obviously I'm referencing crazy s chassis prices in proportion to these, not comparing them directly.
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #86
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I disagree with some of the statements made

I would agree that almost no one wants to drive a S-chassis bone stock or keep it in a oe state long term, however there's no doubt that an unmolested example in factory shape is sought after by many, myself included. As the years pass, a clean car in stock form will increase in value, many buyers prefer a blank canvas to make their oun. The price for any S-chassis will continue to go up, and they will be sought after "collector cars" in the future, no doubt in my mind.

I don't care what my s13 will be worth years from now, I'm just an enthusiast with a passion for these cars and these are my opinions.

OP: Nice car, enjoy it!
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #87
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d9m13n View Post
On a side note, experiencing the Japanese market firsthand how high do you think prices for truly exceptional s13s will go? How active is the market in Japan for the insanely priced r34 nur spec/nsx type r/etc. and are they actually changing hands for anywhere near asking? Obviously I'm referencing crazy s chassis prices in proportion to these, not comparing them directly.
Prices for low mileage, VIN plate TypeX cars are easily over $10k. Higher mile ones won't go south of $8k unless they're beat to shit.

NSXs are slightly MORE over here and it's bumming me out because that was going to be my departure from S-Chassis cars for a bit.

R34s are selling for over $50k and people like CW_Unit are buying them and bringing them back to their country of residence.

The point to be made here is that the people (non-Japanese, mostly) are making the prices go up because, yes, they are selling at these prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
I don't care what my s13 will be worth years from now, I'm just an enthusiast with a passion for these cars and these are my opinions.
This is exactly me lately. My '88 Q's is (obviously) non-turbo. It's 100% stock and kind of want to keep it that way and get a TypeX to mess around with.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:39 AM   #88
xTomCatt
Leaky Injector

Alright guys, locking down the thread. It's gonna be a little while till I start the build thread as I still need to get back to Pennsylvania with the car to actually start doing something with it. But once I get the ball rolling, I will definitely be starting one.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #89
sackofrice

sackofrice is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

But muh turbo!
sackofrice is offline   Reply With Quote