Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-17-2022, 06:12 AM   #1
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Air Suspension for SChassis Cars...

...does anyone currently active on the forum use an air setup?

I have a bad back and a shitty driveway. I had priced out an AirLift setup and told myself I would buy it this year.

I have not.

I don't know where the trepidation comes from, but maybe if someone here can show me what they're running/living with it could put my mind at ease.

I just want my car to be low when I want it low, and high when I need to get over obstacles. Nothing gnarly.

I messaged Fortune Auto regarding their air cups, and they no longer offer them. That, paired with the fact that the cost almost as much as a decent AirLift setup, had them at a distant 2nd choice.

Now I got nothing, lol. Enlighten me.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:14 AM   #2
mothon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
mothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have full airlift 3p kit. I really like it. Super convenient for steep driveways, speed bumps and jacking the car up. I never air it all the way out because I am not really into that look. Ride is super smooth. Only issue is you cant really drive low because the bags are too soft at low pressure.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:45 PM   #3
dizzariot
Post Whore!

dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothon View Post
I have full airlift 3p kit. I really like it. Super convenient for steep driveways, speed bumps and jacking the car up. I never air it all the way out because I am not really into that look. Ride is super smooth. Only issue is you cant really drive low because the bags are too soft at low pressure.
Nice! How long ago did you install the kit? I've never installed air suspension before, but as I understand it you just follow the brake hard lines from the rear to the front. How low is your driving height?

Most importantly. who do you recommend I get it from?
Old 05-18-2022, 09:17 AM   #4
mothon
Zilvia Addict

mothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond repute
I have had it installed for almost a year now but I have probably only put 500 miles on the car in that time. Install is pretty straight forward, yes route the air lines next to brake lines using zip ties or brackets. I drive about 2 inches higher than picture I posted. I can grab another pic at ride height some time. Probably selling my car soon and I will be giving the buyer the option of air ride or coilovers. If the buyer pics coilovers I will have my whole setup for sale.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:52 AM   #5
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
driftworks may still be having a sale trying to clear out inventory but I just purchased these. The stanceworks cup kit is literally the same thing fortune auto was shilling.

https://www.driftworks.com/front-air...s-chassis.html

The price was just a hair over 2000 shipped. I got cups for all 4 corners and controls to lift the front and the back of the car separately. and picked my own springrates. did 9k up front and 8k in the back.

Thats about half of what fortune auto was charging. The only reason I didn't just buy the cup kit is my JIC FLA T2's are like 18 years old and the spherical top hat bearing in the rear is toast. Plus I think it's time to just flat out replace them since I cannot get them serviced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZxTdUy58Vk
Old 05-18-2022, 12:06 PM   #6
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Have you considered putting a BackSaver in your seat, or using Confor foam when it comes to increasing comfort? The BackSaver's available from Pegasus or from Aircraft Spruce, and the Confor's available from Aircraft Spruce in multiple densities and thicknesses.

I use a couple BackSavers for my wife and me in the truck when we go off-road and it really takes the edge off harder hits when you're hauling ass down a wash and don't see a shelf until you drive off it.

Not helpful for the suspension question but definitely something that helps with general comfort.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:59 PM   #7
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I’m in the same boat as you. Bad back and bad driveway. Never got a chance to purchase this kit but YouTube/online reviews were promising. Customer service is great and answered all my questions.

They have 2 dealers in Japan. Nagahori Racing and Hoops Motor Build.

https://www.stanceparts.com/
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #8
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
driftworks may still be having a sale trying to clear out inventory but I just purchased these. The stanceworks cup kit is literally the same thing fortune auto was shilling.

https://www.driftworks.com/front-air...s-chassis.html

The price was just a hair over 2000 shipped. I got cups for all 4 corners and controls to lift the front and the back of the car separately. and picked my own springrates. did 9k up front and 8k in the back.

Thats about half of what fortune auto was charging. The only reason I didn't just buy the cup kit is my JIC FLA T2's are like 18 years old and the spherical top hat bearing in the rear is toast. Plus I think it's time to just flat out replace them since I cannot get them serviced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZxTdUy58Vk

WTF this is absurdly cheap. Im tempted to go this route too but im worried because thats more things that could possibly go wrong on the car
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:28 PM   #9
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
WTF this is absurdly cheap. Im tempted to go this route too but im worried because thats more things that could possibly go wrong on the car
Worst case scenario they don't work or a line fails they go back to just being normal coilovers. does not change how they function at all. And you're not supposed to drive with these aired up. Just for obstacles.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:08 AM   #10
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Worst case scenario they don't work or a line fails they go back to just being normal coilovers. does not change how they function at all. And you're not supposed to drive with these aired up. Just for obstacles.
oh i know that its pretty much an ability for the car to go on its "tippy toes" for a sec to go over bumps/driveways. Its temping because the coilovers are essentially free in that deal
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:44 PM   #11
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Oh dang I didn't think this many people would respond.

For the money paid, the AirLift setup is so...easy. Adjustable presets really have me sold.

The DriftWorks stuff looks like a deal, but AirLift has been around for so long that I 'trust' their engineering more. They also do commercial systems for big rigs...proof is kind of in the pudding.

Did anyone get the Fortune Auto cup system? Why was it so short-lived?
Old 05-23-2022, 05:02 PM   #12
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post

The DriftWorks stuff looks like a deal, but AirLift has been around for so long that I 'trust' their engineering more. They also do commercial systems for big rigs...proof is kind of in the pudding.

Most likely because it was 4 grand for 2-3 inches of travel as opposed to airbags for the same price. As someone else said just has better and more proven engineering.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:21 PM   #13
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Most likely because it was 4 grand for 2-3 inches of travel as opposed to airbags for the same price. As someone else said just has better and more proven engineering.
Wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy, because I also didn't get the price point lol.

More proven how...? AirLift has been around for a long time...
Old 05-23-2022, 06:28 PM   #14
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
snorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her selfsnorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her selfsnorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
Oh dang I didn't think this many people would respond.

For the money paid, the AirLift setup is so...easy. Adjustable presets really have me sold.

From what I heard from a previous owner of them is that they "shouldn't be driven on while aired up, it's only meant for speed bumps and driveways"
snorkelcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:27 PM   #15
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
speedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedgod^s13
My car is still being built, but I got a really good deal on D2 Racing air struts a few years ago, along with the Airlift 3P system. The D2 coils seem to be quite decently built, compared to the Tein, JIC, Tanabe coils that I had run before. I can't comment on the longevity of the bags, but I guess that would be the greatest downfall of air suspension, vs having regular coilovers, but at my age and the roads that we have here in Hawaii, acting cool because you are riding static is for young boys. I've spent way too much on my kit and car, not to mention the hill leading to my house is absolutely bonkers. Hopefully my car will be done in a few months, and I can chime in on actual driving performance.
speedgod^s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:38 AM   #16
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I've been on cups since 2016. Talk about life savers. Things to know:

If you want to keep your same ride height, order 1 inch smaller springs from whatever brand your coils are. The reason for that is because the cup sits on top of the spring and takes up 1 inch of your ride height.

The cup kits are universal, but you have to measure the diameter of your coilover shaft (thats what she said) if you dont get the right size it'll just leak air and not compress the spring to raise the car.

As far as lift, the front raises up about 2 - 2 1/2 inches. The rear does about 1 1/2.

Cups aren't made to be driven on. They do not change coilover performace, or ride quality. They are only meant to get into a driveway, get a jack under the car, or get the car on a trailer full aero . With that said, I had to use them to avoid a raised part in the road on the highway. I avoided the raised road hitting my bumper, but it felt like the springs were 75k rating, and also I over extended the strut. Luckily I didnt do any damage to the coil.

10/10 recommend. super easy to install, no management required. It's literally just an on or off switch. I like to drive low, that's why I didn't go the bagged route. Like I said I've been on these since 2016. So if anyone has a question just hit me up.

@streetstyle_jay
jsu1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:58 PM   #17
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Thanks for the great good info! What coilovers/cups are you on...? Do you recall what the cost was for the whole setup?
Old 05-27-2022, 03:54 AM   #18
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow, Hell froze over and people are talking about bagging their S-chassis. Weird.

I've had a handful of bagged cars over the years. Install is pretty straight forward, basically a coilover install with a few extra steps (mount this, wire that, plumb air line). Main thing you want to do is get good management. 3P, 3H, or just go analog IMO. Then you want to maintain your shit, which is seemingly impossible for some. Bleed your system and get moisture out every few weeks, or once a month. As often as you can remember to! If you live in a cold climate, keep a blow drier or some hot hands nearby. If you have moisture, it will freeze, and then your car is gonna be stuck at whatever ride height you're at. NEVER had this issue personally, but seen it happen to many lol.

I've had cups, and I've had air. Both have their ups and downs (no pun intended), unless the car is getting tracked, I'd go air. Cups are great but you usually only get 2" lift at best, and it's not cheap getting those 2". Air setups have a looooot more adjustability, and if setup properly, makes your car ride soooo smooooooooth.

I'm a top tier D2 Racing dealer, who have the largest list of air street applications available in the USA. I also carry Air Lift and some other popular brands. Happy to hook any Zilvians up.
Old 05-27-2022, 04:20 AM   #19
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam View Post
Wow, Hell froze over and people are talking about bagging their S-chassis. Weird.

I've had a handful of bagged cars over the years. Install is pretty straight forward, basically a coilover install with a few extra steps (mount this, wire that, plumb air line). Main thing you want to do is get good management. 3P, 3H, or just go analog IMO. Then you want to maintain your shit, which is seemingly impossible for some. Bleed your system and get moisture out every few weeks, or once a month. As often as you can remember to! If you live in a cold climate, keep a blow drier or some hot hands nearby. If you have moisture, it will freeze, and then your car is gonna be stuck at whatever ride height you're at. NEVER had this issue personally, but seen it happen to many lol.

I've had cups, and I've had air. Both have their ups and downs (no pun intended), unless the car is getting tracked, I'd go air. Cups are great but you usually only get 2" lift at best, and it's not cheap getting those 2". Air setups have a looooot more adjustability, and if setup properly, makes your car ride soooo smooooooooth.

I'm a top tier D2 Racing dealer, who have the largest list of air street applications available in the USA. I also carry Air Lift and some other popular brands. Happy to hook any Zilvians up.

Sending PM now...
Old 05-27-2022, 10:23 AM   #20
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Quote:
The only reason I didn't just buy the cup kit is my JIC FLA T2's are like 18 years old and the spherical top hat bearing in the rear is toast. Plus I think it's time to just flat out replace them since I cannot get them serviced.
When I picked up the JIC S14, I had spoken to Jon at length and he mentioned servicing and rebuilding coilovers regularly.

I can send him a text and see if he still does this.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:36 PM   #21
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I have stance cups on my super drifts. Just in the fronts with no tank (running out of room in the damn car). I only get an inch and a half of lift, but the super drifts have stiff AF springs. If you're running a 8/6 setup you should get the full two inch travel.
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote