Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-16-2022, 02:15 PM   #23731
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
They're different
Crap.

Okay on ebay they have this

eBay item number:

And this
eBay item number:

One says it will work for 94 and 95 240sx, which sounds wrong. And its shorter than the other one.

The other one is longer but it says 90-94 only.

Both say DOHC

Is either correct for 95+ S14? I have a OEM cable coming to measure and I will compare the listed size. But I figured you might know the length or some other way to identify
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2022, 02:43 PM   #23732
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I have an english FSM for the notch top. PM your email and I'll send you the file.
Got it. Thanks man.

Zilvia is the shit.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:19 PM   #23733
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Crap.

Okay on ebay they have this

eBay item number:

And this
eBay item number:

One says it will work for 94 and 95 240sx, which sounds wrong. And its shorter than the other one.

The other one is longer but it says 90-94 only.

Both say DOHC

Is either correct for 95+ S14? I have a OEM cable coming to measure and I will compare the listed size. But I figured you might know the length or some other way to identify
Both of those eBay listings are for s13s. I suspect the aftermarket manufacturer listed the years incorrectly. They maybe the same length, but mount to the car in a different way.
S13 part #18201-54F00
S14 part #18201-70F00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Got it. Thanks man.

Zilvia is the shit.
My pleasure.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:53 AM   #23734
leftfootbrake

Trader Rating: (0)
leftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is there any thread about parts hoarding collections?
leftfootbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:50 AM   #23735
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootbrake View Post
Is there any thread about parts hoarding collections?
I was just searching for the same thing. Let's start an "Is this crap worth keeping" thread?
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:37 AM   #23736
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Yes, give me a reason to throw away all the shit I have laying around.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:53 PM   #23737
that_one_coupe
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
that_one_coupe is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
s13 unknown front bumper

Anyone recognize this bumper? Kinda curious as it provides space for aftermarket lights in the ducts while keeping the factory turn signals. I searched and went to the blog associated with the license plate statement and could not find the vehicle. Here's the website where I got the pic: https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-...2eb471b5716483

Last edited by that_one_coupe; 05-17-2022 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: added URL
that_one_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:46 AM   #23738
BryanSayWhat
Zilvia Member

BryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud ofBryanSayWhat has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_one_coupe View Post
Anyone recognize this bumper? Kinda curious as it provides space for aftermarket lights in the ducts while keeping the factory turn signals. I searched and went to the blog associated with the license plate statement and could not find the vehicle.
Vanquish:
BryanSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:38 PM   #23739
that_one_coupe
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
that_one_coupe is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Thank you Bryan��
that_one_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:31 AM   #23740
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
For an oil cooler on an SR20, what is a safe, but not overcompensating length of 10AN braided hose I should expect to buy? Setup will likely be Tomei block, line to Grex oil filter relocation/thermostat on RH strut tower, then line to the core on the RH side of the rad support in front of the radiator. I don't really have any obstructions in the battery tray area to worry about.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:36 PM   #23741
souljaseth33
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
souljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to allsouljaseth33 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to souljaseth33
Anyone rocking a dash carpet or one of the covers? Mine is beat and looking at both options. Have brown dash, not sure which brown cover would be best matching. They offer dark, med & light brown for options..
souljaseth33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:53 AM   #23742
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Anyone can tell me whether a 255/55/18 Tire is going to fit on the back of my 100% stock rear height S14 ?? Its like 29" tall diameter lol
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:32 PM   #23743
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Actually, this is exactly what you're looking for. Cardone Part number 20-0058F
5/8 Barbed filter, and $18 on amazon. Win/Win

https://www.amazon.com/Cardone-Servi.../dp/B00A6RLS8K
Update in case anyone is wondering, just got this piece in from rock auto. Perfect for the application, lowkey polished aluminum look to it. My steel wool inside catch can idea didn't go as smoothly. Turns out the GK unit has more baffling than expected, I couldn't just easily stuff steel wool in. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
For an oil cooler on an SR20, what is a safe, but not overcompensating length of 10AN braided hose I should expect to buy? Setup will likely be Tomei block, line to Grex oil filter relocation/thermostat on RH strut tower, then line to the core on the RH side of the rad support in front of the radiator. I don't really have any obstructions in the battery tray area to worry about.
Can anyone help a brother out here? Should be a relatively common setup. Summit sells 10AN line in a variety of lengths so knowing this can help me make an accurate purchase.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:24 PM   #23744
m13h.s13

m13h.s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
So I have a 95 s14 with a code 76 (fuel injection system), I have tried looking at forums but not very many with the same code. I previously had a knock sensor and mass air flow sensor code but i replaced both then had gotten the fuel injection system code that wasn't there before. so any tips on what i should look at first or try replacing to fix the code. thank you
m13h.s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:18 PM   #23745
haglund916

haglund916 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just installed a greddy oled boost controller and having issues with boost dropping off instantly. s13 sr20det with brand new s15 spec r turbo installed a year ago. new plugs and coils couple hundred miles ago. stock ecu stock injectors. not looking to raise boost level just the quicker spool to boost level. installed boost controller per instructions. tee'd in controller to line from top left port on intake manifold to fuel pressure regulator. top right port on manifold is ran to BOV and a tee to boost gauge. bottom port on manifold is capped. hot pipe pressure source to port 1 on solenoid and port 2 on solenoid to wastegate. set % is 0 tried every gain setting. start boost 8psi. hits 8 psi around 3000rpm then drops to 2-4psi then as the revs climb boost continues to climb to around 8 then will drop again. did a boost leak test and found a couple fixed and problem still persists. any ideas what the issue may be
haglund916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:52 PM   #23746
leftfootbrake

leftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the roughleftfootbrake is a jewel in the rough
In the FSM it says parts with this (X) should be replaced when disassembled. I guess they refer to tty for fasteners.

But there's two different pictures for the same fasteners and one of them says replace after disassembly the other one says not to replace. Anyone care to help me?

Old 06-20-2022, 08:14 PM   #23747
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
It's pointing to the nuts, not the bolts/studs... nuts are never TTY. None of those suspension bolts/studs are TTY on these cars anyway.

Edit: I did some looking around my car and at some new fasteners from Nissan. The reason it says these specific nuts are one time use is they are crimp type lock nuts, where the top threads of the nut are slightly crimped to add friction and help prevent the nut from backing off. Ideally you should replace these as they will lose their friction and you could risk stripping the stud if the threads are deformed. I do replace them if it's a really torque critical application like the exhaust manifold but I haven't replaced them on my strut tops before.

For the strut top nuts you could safely replace them with serrated flange nuts which are designed to be reusable. Other Japanese cars I've owned used those rather than crimp lock nuts. For the sway bar link, I always end up replacing the link which comes with new nuts anyway.

Last edited by AKADriver; 06-23-2022 at 12:33 PM..
Old 06-23-2022, 06:19 AM   #23748
Nintensity
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (22)
Nintensity is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quick question: anyone with a JDM S14 rear bumper has a picture of what their license plate bracket looks like? mine is only bolted at the bottom two but I was wondering if there was anything else beside the bottom two
Nintensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:50 AM   #23749
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintensity View Post
Quick question: anyone with a JDM S14 rear bumper has a picture of what their license plate bracket looks like? mine is only bolted at the bottom two but I was wondering if there was anything else beside the bottom two
On the Silvia, there is a separate bracket that connects to the body of the car. On the rear body panel, you can actually see the raised square pads where this bracket would attach.

I ordered the JDM bracket, if curious the part number is 96220-65F00. Waiting on car to get out of body shop though to attach it.

Like yours, my plate was screwed to the bottom of the bumper since there's no upper bracket.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:05 PM   #23750
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_one_coupe View Post
Anyone recognize this bumper? Kinda curious as it provides space for aftermarket lights in the ducts while keeping the factory turn signals. I searched and went to the blog associated with the license plate statement and could not find the vehicle. Here's the website where I got the pic: https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-...2eb471b5716483

not that i'm really RECOMMENDING it, but this exists.
(note that it has "kouki" marker lights instead of chuki)
https://www.extremedimensions.com/19...r-1-Piece.html

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:25 PM   #23751
burgerboy78

burgerboy78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you still buy genuine metal front fenders for a S14a from Nissan? If so what’s the part number?
burgerboy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:26 PM   #23752
burgerboy78

burgerboy78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Double post OOPS

Last edited by burgerboy78; 06-26-2022 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Double post
burgerboy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:58 PM   #23753
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerboy78 View Post
Can you still buy genuine metal front fenders for a S14a from Nissan? If so what?s the part number?
I don't think Nissan stills has them. It's hard to tell because UK Nissan dealerships make it hard to see whats available these days. Its worth trying to ask the dealer network however. Here's the parts #s:
RH - 63100-82F30
LH - 63101-82F30

You might want to hit up Mav1178 in the Advertisers/Announcements section. He's expecting a nice shipment full of new OEM parts that might have a few fenders.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:29 PM   #23754
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Why are all aftermarket coolant overflow tanks sealed (often with their own rad cap)? The OE unit is constantly vented.

Been a while since I studied fluid dynamics, but wouldn't the force of the water coming out of the main rad cap have to be stronger than the force needed to compress the air in the overflow tank (above the coolant) in order for it to work? And conversely, when the system cools, wouldn't it be fighting the force to create vacuum in the overflow tank?
Old 06-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #23755
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Quote:
I run the same setup. tomei block, greddy thermo, and I have the cooler mounted between the rad and the intercooler, all with -10 line. I squeezed the line between the rad and the right hand upright to the rad support. I think I purchased 8-10 feet of it. You may have a little left over, but that'll give you a little breathing room incase you make a mistake.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:21 PM   #23756
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
I run the same setup. tomei block, greddy thermo, and I have the cooler mounted between the rad and the intercooler, all with -10 line. I squeezed the line between the rad and the right hand upright to the rad support. I think I purchased 8-10 feet of it. You may have a little left over, but that'll give you a little breathing room incase you make a mistake.
I ended up buying 10 ft and I had about 18" left over without making any wrong cuts. Hopefully this helps someone else.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:46 AM   #23757
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Quote:
Why are all aftermarket coolant overflow tanks sealed (often with their own rad cap)? The OE unit is constantly vented.

Been a while since I studied fluid dynamics, but wouldn't the force of the water coming out of the main rad cap have to be stronger than the force needed to compress the air in the overflow tank (above the coolant) in order for it to work? And conversely, when the system cools, wouldn't it be fighting the force to create vacuum in the overflow tank?
Your instinct is correct. It isn't really acting like a true proper expansion tank because there isn't a return line for coolant that has been allowed to expand and lose pressure in the tank to return to the cooling system.

https://www.mishimoto.com/engineerin...coolant-tanks/

The typical setup I see is to have a 1.3 bar cap on the radiator and a 0.9 bar cap on the tank, and no return line from the tank back to the system (only a line for hot coolant to the tank) so it's still acting like an overflow tank, just one that I guess would maintain enough pressure that your coolant typically won't boil in the tank?

Anyway, the majority of aluminum coolant overflow tanks for S-chassis are just ripoffs of ripoffs, the S13 versions all have the same shitty design with the inlet port sticking awkwardly out the bottom for some stupid reason.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:41 AM   #23758
leftfootbrake

Can I vapour blast and zinc coat stub axles or should I leave the splines untouched and paint the rest?
Old 07-01-2022, 10:35 AM   #23759
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootbrake View Post
Can I vapour blast and zinc coat stub axles or should I leave the splines untouched and paint the rest?
vapour like dry ice blasting? i would say yes, its not an aggressive enough media to remove base material, but as far as the coating, do you know the installed thickness of the coating? if its more than a few thousandths i'd be hesitant. is there a REASON you feel the need to do this to the spline area? can you just blast and coat the flange area and call it a day?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:34 AM   #23760
leftfootbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
vapour like dry ice blasting? i would say yes, its not an aggressive enough media to remove base material, but as far as the coating, do you know the installed thickness of the coating? if its more than a few thousandths i'd be hesitant. is there a REASON you feel the need to do this to the spline area? can you just blast and coat the flange area and call it a day?
I want to restore them, zinc coating must be done completely. I can wire wheel it and rattle can half of the stub, not touching the part going into the differential.