Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #2341
ZilviaKid
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
ZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i can attest to the fact that r888's suck on the street. if it isnt a very warm day and you arnt going for a long drive you may want to be pretty careful or do some hard braking to get them hot.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #2342
Sumslapper
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Sumslapper is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I daily on r888's and they are fine as long as your not driving like a jackass. There only sketchy on standing still water but any summer/track tire is going to be a little more challenging in the rain.
Sumslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #2343
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (33)
smellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
anyone have any experience with a048s on the street?
Old 03-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #2344
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
^There Awesome
(Only exp. on the Front)
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #2345
Te37
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Te37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
OKAY...so i see everyone running 275-315 tires but most are running either an unknow camber or -2 to -3 degrees. I would rather run a 255 with -.7 camber than 275 with -3 camber, am i wrong in saying that?
Te37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #2346
Chops@MVP
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (16)
Chops@MVP is just really niceChops@MVP is just really niceChops@MVP is just really niceChops@MVP is just really niceChops@MVP is just really niceChops@MVP is just really niceChops@MVP is just really niceChops@MVP is just really niceChops@MVP is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chops@MVP
^ I'm actually running 275 drag radials with .5 camber

Regards,
Robert

940-683-8282 x20
Robert Del Angel

CLICK HERE FOR OUR FACEBOOK PAGE!!!
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER!!!

Master Distributor for : RPS, Tein, Seibon, Haltech, HKS, Greddy, Cusco, Blitz, Koyo, AEM, Map ECU, Eibach, Tokiko, Power Enterprise, Work, Volk, Fidanza, Defi, ....and so many more!!!
Chops@MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #2347
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te37 View Post
OKAY...so i see everyone running 275-315 tires but most are running either an unknow camber or -2 to -3 degrees. I would rather run a 255 with -.7 camber than 275 with -3 camber, am i wrong in saying that?
You're probably wrong because you're thinking that's bad for you. Our cars and most other mcpherson strut cars like more negative camber (eg; bmws). It helps your turn in and grip in corners but it depends on various factors such as tyre type (not all react the same) and suspension setup.
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #2348
R@ddy
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (32)
R@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te37 View Post
you're absolutely right. camber defeats the whole purpose of the bigger tire contact patch. for example a 255 drag radial with -.5 camber will have a greater and more usable contact patch than a 275 with -3 camber.
R@ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #2349
Jay97240Sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Jay97240Sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay97240Sx
Both of you made valid points, 2.5 - 3 is wack for contact patch and tire wear.
Jay97240Sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #2350
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

toe = tire wear
camber =/= tire wear
Old 03-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #2351
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Take a corner and you'll need negative camber.

I run -3.4 deg up front with my roll center corrected which gives better camber gain and I still wear the outside of the fronts on track. I'm thinking going to closer to -4 deg.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #2352
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

^I ran even -4.5 at one point.... and my tires according to my alignment guy (who races) said are unbelivabley well properly worn (with barely any wear) and i drive hard...

Toe = the devil... but camber will not chew your tires away....

In the rear too much camber may cause acceleration problems... but.. for cornering.... more neg camber in the front rocks
Old 03-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #2353
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Take a corner and you'll need negative camber.

I run -3.4 deg up front with my roll center corrected which gives better camber gain and I still wear the outside of the fronts on track. I'm thinking going to closer to -4 deg.
you get a lot of body roll and suspension compression in cornering?

I would think you would want less camber with less roll so the tire achieves max grip all the time....rather than max grip at -4 degrees? Unless you are running specific heavy banked tracks?

Sorry man...i do the drifting, always interested in the grip dudes stuff.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #2354
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

drifting = you're doing it wrong

lol sorry had to throw that one out :P Just kidding.

Negative camber is pretty common while cornering... theres alot of forces.... we don't wana slide... we wana corner faster...
Old 03-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #2355
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
canada = you're doing it wrong

lol sorry had to throw that one out :P Just kidding.

Negative camber is pretty common while cornering... theres alot of forces.... we don't wana slide... we wana corner faster...

fixed ;D

I've just known dudes that ran 1.8 degrees up front...but never heard of -4 on a grip car that wasn't nascar.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #2356
Te37
Zilvia Addict

Te37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choices
I do -1.5r -1.6f for a daily...feels good on highway and I can do a corner at 50. -4 would be over kill...what do you do in the strait aways?
Te37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #2357
mikerbike
Zilvia Junkie

mikerbike is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the opportunity to drive behind my car on (in my other car) on the way home from the track one day. Back then it had ~-0.5* on the rear (measured with a carpenter's square ,some simple math and a garage floor that is probably not flat) and it gained a notable amount of negative camber over bumps.

I know it has to do with ride height, as camber gain in increased as suspension compresses. There was about 1.5" from the top of the fender arch to my 17" wheel. And I had 10k springs on the rear.

I used it like that for 2 open track days before the turbo was installed, running 225 street crap tires. I didn't feel like it was low on rear grip, but instead it pushed like normal.

I don't drag race, but If I did (I would get a Mustang or Camaro ) I would try 0* and pretty tall ride height to minimize camber increase with suspension compression.

I run 0* on the rear now, and I've gained some traction while sliding, but it also feels like there's less normal grip back there for normal cornering.

Long, boring post. Don't read it.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #2358
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
my housemate got a new set of 17x10 Stern Reps and 295/35/17 Kumho XSs for his mk3:

for shits and giggles, i tried them on my s13:

specs:
s13-specific PJ Bonifacio (or very similarly styled) flares, you can buy these/similar ones here
f: 17x10 +20, 295/35/17, 6mm spacer
r: 17x10 +20, 295/35/17
-1˚ (ish) camber all around

rear clearance is fine. front is close to hitting everything when steering, even with my beat-out-to-all-hell wheel wells for steering clearance on my usual setup. if i raised it up some, i might be able to get away with it, especially if stay away from full lock. looks do-able for a track setup. drifting, not so much, it would eat shit up at full lock.

also, i checked steering clearance while sitting; i didn't actually drive it. i can't promise that 6mm spacer is enough to actually clear the tire and coilover. it was REALLY close. the tire may have been resting on it, i just couldn't see back there well enough to tell for sure.

i have an SR with 550cc/n62/gt2560rs/15psi, definitely no more than 300hp. i don't actually need a 295; a good compound 255 would be fine... but the insane amounts of meat is SO very tempting!

Last edited by jaysgottaredtop; 03-24-2012 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: clarity
jaysgottaredtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #2359
Fred Allen Burge
Zilvia Junkie

Fred Allen Burge is an unknown quantity at this point
I like that a lot ^^, those wheel remind me of older Mustang Saleen or Cobra wheels.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #2360
JFoxx
BANNED

Trader Rating: (3)
JFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

335/30/18 rears -1.5 camber

ill post better pics once the brakes are done and i can take it outside the garage....

how do you post large pics from photo bucket?
JFoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #2361
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
fixed ;D

I've just known dudes that ran 1.8 degrees up front...but never heard of -4 on a grip car that wasn't nascar.
clearly you have something new to learn every day and most mcpherson strut race cars dont run under -3.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #2362
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Allen Burge View Post
I like that a lot ^^, those wheel remind me of older Mustang Saleen or Cobra wheels.
yep, they're Stern Saleen replicas.

Silver SC Style Wheel 94-04 Mustang (17x10) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

^ that
Old 03-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #2363
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Hoosier a6 tires are designed to run at 3-5 degrees of camber. Anything less and you're leaving speed on the table. The best finishing S-chassis car that I know of in the scca was running 4 degrees in the front.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #2364
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
clearly you have something new to learn every day and most mcpherson strut race cars dont run under -3.

the nascar thing was a joke. i only know they run heavy negative camber on one side..how much...well I don't run nascar, nor do I see myself ever running nascar.

Thanks for the lesson obi wan.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #2365
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
335s, damn. Please tell me you have 500+rwhp
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #2366
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post
Hoosier a6 tires are designed to run at 3-5 degrees of camber. Anything less and you're leaving speed on the table. The best finishing S-chassis car that I know of in the scca was running 4 degrees in the front.
yes sir
Old 03-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #2367
JFoxx
BANNED

JFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choicesJFoxx has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
335s, damn. Please tell me you have 500+rwhp

yes....although i dont have exact numbers yet.....and i dont like to speculate until i have proof.... ill post more pics later.....
Old 03-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #2368
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (33)
smellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
335? how wide are your wheels?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #2369
JFoxx
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellslikecurry View Post
335? how wide are your wheels?

18x12 +20.... fits under a 50mm fender perfectly with no spacer.....
Old 03-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #2370
JFoxx
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard134 View Post
Thanks! I want to get 17x9 like +30 or possibly +35 then i could put tome 295's I dont think i want wide then that on a 9 inch rim.
295's may be a little wide for a 9 inch rim.... i would say 265's would be max on a 9" rim.... any wider your losing performance....

295 is an 11.6 inch tire..... just to put in perspective....