Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
joecar
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
joecar is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Tubs!!!

I know theres an engine bay thread but, I am plotting to tub my front wheel wells. And pics Ideas, trailer fenders that you've cut to fit?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I think most use sheet metal..... cut and weld....
Old 02-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
trailer fenders! lol.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
bejota180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
bejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
there was a thread with some info on this... i remember most people bought some from jegs or summit that sale them by pairs and different sizes, i've seen people use those metal trash cans... cut out yours and weld in either those or shaped sheet metal (there are a few examples in the fabrication thread also... search around a bit and u'll find the info u want...
Originally Posted by Taniguchi_Is_#1 View Post
...this is zilvia; prepare to get your feelings hurt.
bejota180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
MavericStephenc
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
MavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MavericStephenc

here's mine. Fuji crew hooked it up for me.

The finished product:

Boycott Berkeley and code pink
MavericStephenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
rps13drift
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
rps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfectionrps13drift is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I made mine with my buddy out of sheet metal doors that were garbage at work. What we did is we made the tubs first out of cardboard than traced the shapes on the sheet metal. Cut the shapes out and than welded them in place. Not too bad!

cardboard

metal

Done for now. Gotta paint the bay
rps13drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
repda916
Zilvia Addict

repda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by murda-c View Post
trailer fenders! lol.
hilarious huh
Im pretty sure it would work.. and im also pretty sure mini truckers use fenders for their tubs.
repda916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Trailer fender for real. You just cut it in half and hammer the outer rolled edge flat.

and I bought them here. Carry-On Trailer Single Wheel Steel Fender with Skirt — 32in.L x 9in.W x 15in.H | Trailer Fenders | Northern Tool + Equipment
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
initial_jc
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
initial_jc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
tubs look real nice
initial_jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
what tubs are those? thats pretty hot I like it!
Old 02-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
joecar
Zilvia Junkie

does anybody have any pics of the inside of the wheel well, underneath. Im curious to see what you guys did. I already did all the cutting now Im trying to figure out the best way for structure at ther top of the strut tower. I was thinking about trying to fold some of the remaining strut tower under the top of the tub and tach welding underneath to add some rigidity.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #13
JDMSTYLE
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
JDMSTYLE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
that red s14 has some nice tubes. subtle and functional.
JDMSTYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #14
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

ch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to ch1873857

cant find pics of the finished product. it was all filled and made smooth and painted.. this was my buddys car. its still not together but the tubs turned out great. i dont like some of the other ones where its squared off and comes out passed the strut tower.

one trailer fender wasnt wide enough. so i welded them together hotdog style. flat edge to flat edge. cut them in half, hamburger style. trimmed as needed. welding on the nissan steel is always a bitch, ive done way to much.
ch1873857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #15
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
TurboSE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
maybe a dumb question, but what are the benefits of this? Does it really give you that much room for bigger wheels/tires?I'm swapping an RB26 and I think that engine bay space is more important than tire room....I'm not flaming or arguing, just wondering what everyones motivation is for this.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #16
drift_limo
Zilvia Junkie

drift_limo is a well-known jackass
Send a message via AIM to drift_limo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95drifto View Post
Trailer fender for real. You just cut it in half and hammer the outer rolled edge flat.

thats it?

so i would just have to order one tubfor both sides??
Old 02-23-2010, 01:14 AM   #17
repda916
Zilvia Addict

repda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift_limo View Post
thats it?

so i would just have to order one tubfor both sides??
yesssssiirrr
repda916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #18
joecar
Zilvia Junkie

I picked up some 9x32 trailer fenders from a local trailer supply store with the skirts and already cut them in half.Im stumped how far are you guys cutting on the strut tower? I want to cut out as much as possible without messing with the structure. Heres where im at right now.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #19
Slip&Sliden 240
Zilvia Member

Slip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfection

Slip&Sliden 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #20
Johny5
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johny5
gonna drop this here too

legit pre-fabbed beadrolled gt-fabrications tubs. yeah
Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #21
RurouniMidnight
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
RurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to allRurouniMidnight is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I bought fender tubs from summitracing and cut them to fit, it probally comes with enough material to do 2 cars if your careful, heres some snaps when i did mine few months back.

After tacking them in i went over the seams with seam sealer.

http://nightparade.wordpress.com/

Join in on instagram @nightparade
RurouniMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #22
sonomadrifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
sonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'm surprised how little you guys are cutting out and replacing. I rubbed the front and top so I cut in hard?

Trailer fender for $20 and a couple bucks of 16 gauge.

I'll have to find some inner shots.
sonomadrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #23
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Unfortuanetly Redline Time Attack won't let me run tubs in "street tire" class. There is some nice work in here...
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #24
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews

?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 AM   #25
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSE View Post
maybe a dumb question, but what are the benefits of this? Does it really give you that much room for bigger wheels/tires?I'm swapping an RB26 and I think that engine bay space is more important than tire room....I'm not flaming or arguing, just wondering what everyones motivation is for this.

I notice these are mostly S14's as well, is this mainly a problem that plagues them?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #26
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonomadrifter View Post
I'm surprised how little you guys are cutting out and replacing. I rubbed the front and top so I cut in hard?

Trailer fender for $20 and a couple bucks of 16 gauge.

I'll have to find some inner shots.

^^^ This guy was nice enough to help me out with his design and I made his style fender tubs, I thought they looked really nice:

I wanted maximum clearance so we cut up really high on the strut tower - even cut the back and hammered it up and rewelded it. Then proceeded to cut up the fender rail to allow for more clearance overall.

Finished product:

You can see all of the room - there was barely two fingers worth of room in there before and I lowered it another inch and a half.

Quote:
I notice these are mostly S14's as well, is this mainly a problem that plagues them?
I think mostly S14 owners do this because most S13 owners I know are cheap and are more worried about getting their ebay taillights and body kits to fit right then make it so they can run a wider wheel up front. S14s have significantly more room up front then S13s from the factory, so tubbing a S13 would help quite a bit.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #27
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post
I think mostly S14 owners do this because most S13 owners I know are cheap and are more worried about getting their ebay taillights and body kits to fit right then make it so they can run a wider wheel up front. S14s have significantly more room up front then S13s from the factory, so tubbing a S13 would help quite a bit.
or maybe S14 owners are more willing to pay more for a heavier car (I know it's only 23lbs, but I had to come back with something!)....

How much extra width do you think you get with tubs?
Old 02-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #28
vqdreaming
Zilvia Junkie

vqdreaming is an unknown quantity at this point
or maybe theyre just more of wheel whores/typically have more money then s13 owners.

Quote:
or maybe S14 owners are more willing to pay more for a heavier car (I know it's only 23lbs, but I had to come back with something!)....

How much extra width do you think you get with tubs?
vqdreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #29
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Ok yea lets move on.

Does anyone have tubs with the factory fuse box in place? I would love to get this done to get rid of my rubbing issues, but I don't feel like relocating my harness.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #30
dato
Zilvia Junkie

dato is an unknown quantity at this point
please excuse the white lines i was water sanding, s13

dato is offline   Reply With Quote