Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Asuka
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Asuka is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
3d printed s-chassis parts.

So I work for a 3d printer company here in Dallas Texas and right now we pretty much just make and sell our printers. We're looking at starting to manufacture parts for people.

I suggested making s-chassis parts, because why the hell not? So my question is, what parts would the people of Zilvia be interested in?

I'm thinking of things like gauge pod vents, small replacement pieces like hood prop clips and stuff like that.

I'm going to look at making radio bezels and the like for s13s and s14s. Our biggest printer bed is 9x9x19 so we can make some decently big pieces.

I'm interested in what people would want. Everything would end up being cheap as hell. The s13 radio bezel would be about $50, a lot better than an oem one for anyone that would be interested.

So What does everyone think would be cool?
Old 12-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Thats a waste of time and money to print things like that when it can easily be molded...

But if you want to make something like that, just 3D scan the thing and make a negative mold in CAD.
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Maybe for prototyping... but stereolithographic models aren't usually strong and would need finishing work. I have a desktop printer myself and have made a few odds and ends.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
So you are saying it is possible to produce a roof wing, rear deck lid, sideskirts, and other pieces cheaply?

I would suggest maybe a shifter bezel for the guys with swapped cars to make it look a little bit more appealing.

Definitely a radio bezel and definitely try to make a low key gaugepod. Maybe someting that would replace the cigarette lighter. Possible a pod that would hang off to the side of the air vents but a little bit forward.

How about a rear seat delete that would be a combination of panels that would mount together, instead of just one huge mould. Or whatever is cheaper.

You could even make s14.5 conversion fenders that wouldn't suck buttmunch. Or fenders in general.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOnesxWai View Post
Thats a waste of time and money to print things like that when it can easily be molded...

But if you want to make something like that, just 3D scan the thing and make a negative mold in CAD.
If you're in the business of 3d printing, then it's clearly not a waste of time, but a great business opportunity, as the prices come down so that it can compete with other methods.

OP, it sort of sounds like you're picking hard things, but I guess if you have a company behind you.... but there should be a billion and a half things that you could make, that people would want.

Look into slightly cooler versions of things that there's no reason to upgrade beyond stock, that kind of shit generally sells like hotcakes
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
What machines do you guys use to print with? We are getting a Fortus 400 FDM printer at my work next week and I cant wait to print bigger parts.

the last thing I made was a turbo timer enclosure

Old 12-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
s13mikesr20
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
s13mikesr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
custom cas covers coil pack covers

fan shrouds

cooling panels

bumper canards serio0usly

a hungous list of endless crap you can make for pennies on the dollar
s13mikesr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Asuka
Zilvia Member

Asuka is an unknown quantity at this point
We produce and use our own printers.

It's mostly an idea to get our name out rather than making money. The thing I'm thinking of first and foremost is a cup holder to go in place of the ash tray.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
s13mikesr20
Nissanaholic!

s13mikesr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
We produce and use our own printers.

It's mostly an idea to get our name out rather than making money. The thing I'm thinking of first and foremost is a cup holder to go in place of the ash tray.
dear lord you sir are a inovator

but i wouldnt mind a custom coil pack cover

id pay and or throw your name out there for that
s13mikesr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
g2ic02
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
g2ic02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to g2ic02 Send a message via MSN to g2ic02
how about the clips that retain the brake lines on the firewall. Can you make a flexible things like zipties? The reason I ask is it would be cool to find cheap wire loom fastening clips(those push pin style deals with the ziptie). the push pins/screw for the door sill plate. clips to hold washer hose to hood. cool sr20 coil cover. fuse block covers. +1 for hood prop clip(both ends)
g2ic02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
mnight
Leaky Injector

mnight is an unknown quantity at this point
provided the piece is strong enough, this is a cool idea. Radio bezels would be nice. Could you make shift knobs? That would be sick. Or what about radio bezels that have gauges spots built into them.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
i want a 60mm gauge pod that goes on top of the steering column.
basically like this
1989 1994 Nissan 240sx Custom Gauge Pod 52mm Steering Wheel Column Cover | eBay
but i'm not spending $100 on it, and i want 60mm, not 52.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Bullitt_180sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Bullitt_180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
basically like this
I have one like that that I am not going to use. It is for RHD though. I'll have to check on gauge size.
Bullitt_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
silva.240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
silva.240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
how about you hook one of us up with them printers and we print our own shit too
silva.240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
hobbs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
hobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Have details on the printers, I'm looking to pick one up in the near future.
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
ditchs14
Zilvia Junkie

ditchs14 is a well-known jackass
i think gauge pods would be a good idea. like ones that are integrated with the oem panels
ditchs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
GUZZLE7
Leaky Injector

GUZZLE7 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would make all oem interior plastics like bezels and trim pieces. and the defroster dash vent because those always break. i dont know if the printer is big enough but dash's would be a good one too everyone wants an uncracked dash. the guage cluster bezel as well because for some reason no one is smart enough to take them out without cracking them. u could design your own center consoul with cup holders or whatever design u want. shiftknobs. i think if u could make dash's that would be a popular one because people are willing to spend $100+ for a used uncracked dash
Old 12-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
I need manual A & B ( already slotted ) & C ( 91-93 ) pillar panels & belt cover in light grey.

got to be strong nylon printing. not abs.
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
silva.240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
silva.240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
seriously hobbs and asuka i want one of these printers. i'm going to start looking into it. there are endless things that can be created . the advantages in any restoration is absolutely endless, ever crack some headphones or anything. ... embarking on great ideas, thanks guys, and if u have more information on sourcing the printer $$$$ will be exchanged
silva.240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #20
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
I've 3D printed parts that are currently on my S13, nothing interior since it more or less requires a 3D scanner, but I've done random brackets/weird plastic parts etc.

Kind of not the best method of production when considering machine cost, material cost, etc, but definitely neat.

Also, it's worth noting that like any other machine (but to a much higher degree) not all 3D printers were made equal. You'd probably be much better off 3D printing a single master, doing some surface work to it (assuming the machine is FDM) and then casting molds off of it. Or printing a series of molds and cast parts in them, although this gets kind of interesting depending on the part geometry, especially when doing complex rigid parts in a rigid mold.

Also, FWIW, dudes looking into getting printers, anything in the sub-10k range is pretty much a 'hobby level' machine and are extremely temperamental. Environmental conditions (heat/humidity/etc) will play a HUGE part in how well your parts come out and/or your build failure rate. If you've got the money, try to get something that's well enclosed (and insulated) with good environmental controls to minimize your headaches. The machine I use most frequently (3-5 days a week) is basically a $140k printer with a bunch of really interesting features and even it likes to be finicky when stupid things change (I.E. humidity).
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #21
genericforumname
Zilvia Member

Location: Florida, where we prove that shit does in fact run down hill
genericforumname is making a name for him/her selfgenericforumname is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
basically like this
you have no idea how fast I would buy one of these with 2 single pods offset to each side. they make a version of this that screws into the factory cover but it looks janky and cheap and I think the positions they chose for the gauge placement were less than ideal.

could easily offer a version with both single and double in both 52mm and 60mm sizes. would be amazing. I would also buy one for my WRX as well. Sell those things at $50 and be swimming in money.
genericforumname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #22
g35gabby
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
g35gabby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph_KYAS13 View Post
What machines do you guys use to print with? We are getting a Fortus 400 FDM printer at my work next week and I cant wait to print bigger parts.

that is awesome as hell. Never really considered using a 3D printer for car stuff before, but this makes a lot of sense. Love it.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #23
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
i'm actually interested in a 3D Printer

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #24
Snatch'D Factory
Leaky Injector

Snatch'D Factory is an unknown quantity at this point
This is very interesting to me. Does that mean you can make bumpers and stuff? Or just like little accessories? I would be very interested if that is possible.

But what company do you work for? How much is a 3D printer regularly cost?
Snatch'D Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #25
g35gabby
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
g35gabby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatch'D Factory View Post
This is very interesting to me. Does that mean you can make bumpers and stuff? Or just like little accessories? I would be very interested if that is possible.

But what company do you work for? How much is a 3D printer regularly cost?
With the large printer doing a 9x9x19.... you might be able to make a grill or fog light bezel... but not a bumper.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #26
roninwon
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
roninwon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to roninwon Send a message via Yahoo to roninwon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph_KYAS13 View Post

I want. How much?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #27
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by g35gabby View Post
With the large printer doing a 9x9x19.... you might be able to make a grill or fog light bezel... but not a bumper.
If you know what you're doing, it's actually not all that hard to do something significantly larger than the build volume. The Machine I worked with from ~2008 to ~2012 had a 10x10x12 build volume and it was used to make a handful of parts that were ~18" - 24" long, give or take. Usually, we'd split the part along a logical seam (somewhere that had an existing geometric transition) add some sort of registration feature, and then print two halves, or whatever made sense, and then glue them together. Not idea, but within the realm of usefulness.

When we upgraded printers in the middle of last year, we had an option to get a machine capable of printing up to 24x36x24 if we were willing to drop something like $250k on a machine. The handful of those that I know of (last I checked there was only one in the NJ/E. PA/NYC area, but a bunch in the midwest) are most often used for production tooling, or making low-medium volume production parts. (Specifically Half Fenders for Trucks)

TLDR, it'd be tricky to make a bumper, but if the operator knows what they're doing and has the appropriate CAD software, it's difficultly will more often than not be determined by the consistency of the machine, rather than the size of the part(s). In the specific case of a bumper, where the part thickness is rarely going to exceed 1/4", I'd probably project the geometry into some rectangular volume of known size (est 24"D X 24"T X 66"-72"W) to get a good negative (or positive) of the finished part I'm shooting for, and then break that rectangular volume into a series of 'puzzle pieces' that can be printed with whatever machine I'm working with. That sort of method might use a bit more material, but the odds of the final assembly being right the first time is probably 10-15X what it would be with another method. (It also gives you the ability to make a series of modular molds that utilize constant geometry for certain parts (lights, license plates, etc) and then change out the 'aesthetic' bits.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #28
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I've made life 1:1 scale toilets for Kohler and Harley Davidson motorcycle parts. Most of the time depending on large parts, you will cut the part into sections. Then print them and put the prototypes back together as a whole piece. Not very hard only if you're good with CAD programs then sending them to some sort of 3D printer.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #29
tqstarburst
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
tqstarburst is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
For the love of god, some useful badass looking canards. Not splittler canards like the vertex but more badass looking ones like the voltex on the evo and so. I'd be very interested.
tqstarburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:16 AM   #30
htc.zenit

htc.zenit is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm just gonna dig this one up, rather then start a new thread.

It's been 6 years since this thread started, nowadays 3d printing is available to many people. As I am fairly new to the whole 3d printing universe, I am looking for databases to find some models.

I aready know thingiverse, where I actually found a couple of Nissan models:

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...75cf7c00a89dd8

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...95cf7c01e99257

But I like to believe that I simply haven't found the pot of gold yet.

Does anyone know a place where I can find more car related parts?

Right now, I am looking for a model of the upper center console part, as my mount clips all broke.

I would like to get a model, and try to reshape it in order to fit custom gauges, or any other thing.

Greetings from Germany,

Mike
htc.zenit is offline   Reply With Quote