Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
bigz1234

Trader Rating: (0)
bigz1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does anyone do this?

Hey, I was considering buying a car from a dealer. I don't live near them, and for me it would be a 6 hour drive. Do people on Zilvia forums check out cars for other people is that possible?

To me that don't sound unreasonable.

bigz1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
webgeek
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
webgeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
carfax..........
webgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Why would you buy a 240 from a dealer... Better yet, why one 6 hours away? Find one locally you can go inspect, and drive yourself.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
bigz1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Why would you buy a 240 from a dealer... Better yet, why one 6 hours away? Find one locally you can go inspect, and drive yourself.
Seems like no one wants to sell a stock 240 near me

btw i live in Pittsburgh
Old 07-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
xoxide
Post Whore!

Just be patient and keep looking. I waited 6 months until I found one that was nice enough.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Kenzo
Leaky Injector

Kenzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Where is the car, I'm on the east end of the state?
Kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Well, three people have asked me to case cars that were closer to me than they were.
Granted, each knew me well enough to text me without even involving Zilvia, and only one bought the car. I would not trust a stranger to look at a car that I could not look at myself, especially from a used car dealer.

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

BoostSlideWayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
The only way i would trust someone else looking at the car.. is if i had a friend that lived close enough to check it that i can trust.. Other wise youll possibly be wasting your time AND money..

Dealers ALWAYS will charge WAY WAY more than you should pay for an S13. they are dime a dozen cars and nothing special really.. it may take awhile to find a perfectly stock s13 as most of them have been molested.

How ever you may find one some one day... stay on craigslist and autotrader and even just typing " 240sx for sale Pittsburgh " youll be surprised at the results you find *usually*
Old 07-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
bigz1234

Cherry Hill, NJ.

I just was seeing if people do it. Honestly I like to believe that people are still gentleman and upfront and honest. That's me, I give people the benefit of the doubt.

But I see your point Phlip,
Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i flew to norcal to purchase one of my cars

if you are serious about buying a car, you do things like that. you also take it to a MECHANIC if you want to know for sure, that something is worth buying.

note: the car i purchased was NOT a 240SX. i probably wouldnt fly for a piece of shit 240SX.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
jame5x
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
jame5x is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Just be patient and keep looking. I waited 6 months until I found one that was nice enough.
So did I! I came very close in picking up a 2002 is300 because I didn't think I could find another unmolested kouki. I was $1500 short in buying it so the guy sold it. I searched all of craigslist everyday from November to febuary and finally found one 8 hours away being sold by the original owner. Unmolested 1997 for under $4k
jame5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
bigz1234

Thanks for the advice, guys. I will keep looking until I find one that is close to me, that I can take to a mechanic and check.

1990 Nissan 240SX in Cherry Hill, NJ - VIN JN1HS36P2LW140672 | Vast Autos

Not sure if I can post that link.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Really, $3k for a SOHC S13?!?!

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
xoxide
Post Whore!

Definetly wouldnt pay 3k for that. Id say keep looking. Private sales are so much better.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
Kenzo
Leaky Injector

128,000 miles on the odometer, rear spoiler and a car bra....

Paint on the hood and fenders is gonna be funny when the bra comes off, and the spoiler is probably leaking into the hatch and rotting it out. If you want I'm over that way pretty often for dinner at the in laws. PM me your # if you want me to look at it.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
Tempo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (39)
Tempo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
its kinda of an iffy situation , looking a car for someone and having to give a report to said person about the car and them taking your word for it , cars have a lot of hidden problems , last thing you need is to be held responsible for something that failed a couples days/weeks/months later and you didn't know.

IG - allen.kerose
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
Kenzo
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo View Post
its kinda of an iffy situation , looking a car for someone and having to give a report to said person about the car and them taking your word for it , cars have a lot of hidden problems , last thing you need is to be held responsible for something that failed a couples days/weeks/months later and you didn't know.
Buyer beware, I'm just gonna give him an opinion, not a home made carfax report. It's up to him if it's worth a look for himself. I wouldn't tell someone to waste time on something I wouldn't buy myself. Shit, if he doesn't want it and the price drops, I may pick it up and transplant my cars innards into it, lol. Anything is better than the Danger Cart I'm driving.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
Ichiban4
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Ichiban4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
6 hours really isn't that far for a car you are probably going to buy assuming it is in the condition you expect. Just talk to them about all the details and make the trip. I drove 10 hours to pick up my s13 after looking about 4 months. Almost 8 years later I still have that same car and am very glad I made the trip instead of just picking up what was readily available.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #19
JdmDrift4Food
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
JdmDrift4Food is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
You would be into it more than 3000 after its all said and done beings its so far away. And you would be taking a lot of risks by going off someone else's opinions. If your interested in it, just go see it for yourself, but check out some other cars online in that area so you have a back up plan if the car isnt what you expected. And for the people saying that is too much money, well it depends on what you are going to do with the car. If he plans on keeping the body all stock, and mostly everything all stock with minor mods and possibly engine, this would be perfect. But for someone planing on throwing a kit on the car, throwing in Bride seats, a cage, and making a drift car, you might wana look for a cheaper chassis since you will be changing everything anyways. Honestly, the car looks very unmolested and adult owned (Besides the pedals and exhaust...) In my opinion, I think a price range of $2500-$2800 is fair for a car like that. Granted your so far away, I would try to see if you can hassle the dealer a bit. Your call!
JdmDrift4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #20
myKAl
Zilvia Member

myKAl is an unknown quantity at this point
look into yourself, what you think is good/bad for a car might not be the same for others, they might not look at things youd look at and when you get it youll be like 'tf is this shit' just wait man
myKAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #21
bigz1234

You guys are all wise,

Kenzo, thank you for your offer, I didn't talk to the dealer about it. I did'nt trust the site, seems too good to be true. Plus 3k is in my opinion unreasonable for that car.

JDM, plans is 180 aero, SR20DET, with exhaust and rims. Something that is fun and nice, trying to keep it clean.

I might (big might) drift in the future. but currently im not looking too much into that. Maybe 4-5 years down the line. But for first year or so keeping mostly everything stock while i try to get a detailed plan going. 240sx will be my first nice car that I have that i want to make better.

myKAl - the idea of looking at it, meaning like hows the rust is it really bad, is it minor. Does it run, does it make weird nosies, the idea for me is if a person lives near it can look at it. So if i did go there its gonna be like 90% of buying. Like does it match what they are saying on the sales thing. Its more of like a person who knows what they are doing with 240's to tell me hey look i looked at it and its worth you looking at it.

Thank you all for your advice

Last edited by bigz1234; 07-02-2012 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Adding
Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #22
kennedy8383
Zilvia Member

kennedy8383 is an unknown quantity at this point
You will find 240sx here On zilvia..
kennedy8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #23
mendozasport
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
mendozasport is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
at least this dude is asking for advice and oppinions of the car and not driving across the country and trading money/car for a piece of shit like the s30 schmuck
mendozasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
25BajaOutlaw

25BajaOutlaw is an unknown quantity at this point
i found my 98 kouki about 4.5 hours away on ebay. i called the guy and told him i wanted to pick it up the following day. i made the trip alone with a car trailer. i figured if worse came to worse i wasted some money on fuel and a day in driving. turns out i picked it up for a sweet price and it was everything minus a manual. when i got there he through in manual swap parts. point being, if its what you think you want, go check it out if no one else can. good luck!
25BajaOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote