Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #361
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Dumb question, but this swap is more of a drift thing right or do you guys daily these?
I'm no drifter unless you count that time my car started to drift in the 1/4 mile lol. I will also be daily driving mine too.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #362
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Dumb question, but this swap is more of a drift thing right or do you guys daily these?
its a "I want stupid amounts of power and response" thing. I will be doing skids, grip/track events, as well as daily duty on mine.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:57 AM   #363
joeapple8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
joeapple8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
I'm doing this because I want to do stupid things like own a 240sx.
joeapple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:42 AM   #364
joeapple8
Zilvia Addict

joeapple8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone heard of any review of the Flatwell manifold? On the Tonnka website the whole VVL kit with Manifold and relocation blocks sells for 3500.00 MYR which translates to about 895 USD.

http://tonnka.com/index.php/products/product/cid-309

The manifold is also listed on RHD Japan which to me only stocks quality parts IMHO.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/flatwell-int...o-vvl-rwd.html

joeapple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:32 AM   #365
insa

Trader Rating: (0)
insa is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
Well, seeing as I want to take it to 9k to save me from having to shift into 3rd in an autocross, it looks like I'll be buying aftermarket DET springs. I'll report back on how it works with P12 seats/retainers.

Would be nice if I could use the DET retainers too and go titanium. I'm not aware of any titanium retainers for the P12.

Thanks guys.
It would be great to know if the DET springs work. Please keep us updated

I can give you a hint for the P12 retainers: There is a guy on the sr20-forum.com, who had some retainers made by supertech on special order. He sells the ones he doesn't need here: http://www.sr20-forum.com/classified...tainers-2.html - got a set from him, too.
insa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:39 PM   #366
MaxS15

MaxS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Having done this swap because I thought it was cool (and a bit different) to a daily driver using a very conservative GTX2867r I can confirm this is not an efficient use of your money, especially if you are looking for bang for buck!!!

Firstly my daily is now not a daily, and secondly the list of parts just goes on and on and on.

I can however confirm that its pretty bloody awesome, and I certainly can the the VVL kick in yo! (youtube 'Under Suzuki 52 Seconds' and listen on his out lap and it sticks out like the dogs b******)

If you are dumb enough like me to bite off something like this when you don't know these things inside out, for gods sake listen to your tuner from the start, and remember, 'buy cheap, buy twice'. It is not cheap, and your skimping will make it much more expensive in the long run.
MaxS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:29 PM   #367
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Bang for buck or cost effect is the last thing on anyone's mine doing a fully built VVL setup. It's bad ass as hell but if one is gonna jump into it be prepard to spend the big bucks to do it right
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #368
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
This may have been addressed before, but i cant seem to find it.

I picked up a the Mazworx conversion parts and have a P11 head. Everything is pretty clear regarding the conversion. My only question is about the Mod i've seen to the head, where the oil port is blocked, and then another hole is drilled and tapped for an oil feed.

I have a Tomei oil block adapter, so i dont need the oil feed from the head BUT do i still need to plug the hole in the head?

The Mazworx paper work does not mention anything about this, (i did buy it used though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #369
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by japslapsilvia View Post
This may have been addressed before, but i cant seem to find it.
I have a Tomei oil block adapter, so i dont need the oil feed from the head BUT do i still need to plug the hole in the head?
The hole on the intake manifold side, furthest back (on the block) does need to be plugged. On mine we tapped it and put an allen socket bolt in there.

Quote:
Old 06-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #370
brndck
Premium Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Old 06-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #371
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I think he's referring to the oil feed port in the block further forward on the head/deck. You do not need to block the port on the underside of the head. I didn't plug my VTC port on my S14 bottomend either. A good head gasket and studs will work just fine. If you're absolutely worried about it, then yes, plug it for piece of mind.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #372
brndck
Premium Member

/\/\/\ ah gotcha. the one on the underside of the head, we tapped and inserted an allen head plug in that one too. You're right though, a good head gasket should have the same effect as plugging it.

Quote:
Old 06-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #373
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I think he's referring to the oil feed port in the block further forward on the head/deck. You do not need to block the port on the underside of the head. I didn't plug my VTC port on my S14 bottomend either. A good head gasket and studs will work just fine. If you're absolutely worried about it, then yes, plug it for piece of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
/\/\/\ ah gotcha. the one on the underside of the head, we tapped and inserted an allen head plug in that one too. You're right though, a good head gasket should have the same effect as plugging it.

Yes the one on the underside of the head. I will just go ahead and plug it for piece of mind

Thanks fellas!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #374
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
FINALLY got my head back from the valve job after two months at the machine shop...

Gonna put the springs in this weekend hopefully so I can say soon for sure if DET springs work with P12 retainers.

Also, can someone remind me which direction I have to shift my DET exhaust manifold? It's 3mm, right? But do I have to shift it 3mm up or 3mm down?
Old 06-28-2016, 11:35 AM   #375
brndck
Premium Member

/\/\/\ I believe you move the manifold 3mm up, but you can overlay the ex. mani. gasket and thatll tell you which way.

Quote:
Old 06-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #376
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
It is in the vertical direction. I moved mine .125". I'd overlay the gasket so you can see it visually.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #377
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Oh right, I can just use the gasket to see, duh.

And if I use the DET pulley I don't need to get a timing re-locator, right?

DE crank/block, VE pump/cover, DE collar, Mazworx spacer, Mazworx oil pickup. That's the correct combination for the oiling/pulley?
Old 06-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #378
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
Oh right, I can just use the gasket to see, duh.

And if I use the DET pulley I don't need to get a timing re-locator, right?

DE crank/block, VE pump/cover, DE collar, Mazworx spacer, Mazworx oil pickup. That's the correct combination for the oiling/pulley?
det pulley should still need the relocator. VE oil pump has the pin in a different location compared to DET.

Than combo sounds right, but you may still need to shave a few mm off the back of the crank pulley for it to line up with the belts properly. I dunno why people don't just order the ve spacer. Its cheap.

Quote:
Old 06-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #379
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

I actually have the VE collar/spacer too, I bought a whole P12 VE and tore it down.

So what's the best combo knowing I have the VE collar/spacer?
DE block/crank with the VE pulley, collar/spacer and pump/cover?

If I use the VE pulley, the stock timing pin will be in the right place? I misspoke earlier when I said DET pulley, clearly that one would need the relocation.
Sorry for all the questions. I had all this stuff figured out and then didn't look at it for two months and forgot. Thought I had read of a setup that didn't need to relocate the timing pin though.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #380
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Anyone have any info on P12 valve seals? Seems to me that the NSX has the same 5.5mm stems and I can use the Supertech seals for that.

Also still haven't found any info on if I still need to relocate the timing pin if I use a VE pulley.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:01 PM   #381
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Unsure of the stem seals as I'm rocking a P11.

Timing pin... Info at the bottom.

http://www.taarks.com/product_p/taark-timingrelo-ve.htm

EDIT- I just realized what exactly you're asking. If you use a VE pulley on a VE pump, the timing pin will be in the correct spot.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #382
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Great, so I do not need to buy the timing relocation kit, as I had suspected.

And I already have a set of 5.5mm NSX/B Series valve seals so I'll be able to give an answer on that myself shortly.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #383
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Well I wasn't able to actually install the springs because the NSX/B Series seals did not work as I expected but the retainer lines up just fine, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it works.
If anyone can find me P12 valve seals, that would be great. I found some but only on ebay.uk...
EDIT: Looks like Cometic 3175V-16 works as valve seals for the P12. 5.5mm stem, 9.5mm guide OD.
EDIT2: Got the Cometic 3175V-16s and they were ever so slightly too loose...

I've also attached a picture of my combustion chambers. I went ahead and ground down the weird bump that the P12s have by the spark plug. The DET and P11 do not have this and it seemed only to impede airflow from the valves and be a potential hot spot.

Also, what size oil line do you guys use for the VVL feed I have to tap into the head? 3 or 4AN? Just want to make sure I have enough oil flow, but will the 4AN be too large and cause a pressure drop?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P12RetainerDETSpring.jpg (188.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P12CombustionChamber.jpg (383.3 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by LuckyX2; 07-11-2016 at 03:26 PM..
LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #384
jr_ss
Post Whore!

A -3AN should suffice.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #385
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options13 View Post
Valve shim specs for the VVL are as follows; IN : 0.08
EX : 0.12
Copied from another thread for future reference.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #386
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've been drooling over this thread for quite some time and I finally have the funds to start a VET build for my S13. I do have a few questions though.

Is anyone running an S14/S15 ECU with a VET motor and a P12 cas? TAARKS states "These can be setup in any ECU as a normal det CAS" so I would assume that means a S14/S15 ECU with Nistune would recognize the CAS no problem, right?

I do not want to go full standalone at the moment, so if I can get away with an S14/S15 ECU using VTC control and a single solenoid conversion to control VVL it would let me get the motor together much faster.

Really excited to start this build, I always hear how incredible these heads are can't wait to be running one.
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:48 AM   #387
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
I've been drooling over this thread for quite some time and I finally have the funds to start a VET build for my S13. I do have a few questions though.

Is anyone running an S14/S15 ECU with a VET motor and a P12 cas? TAARKS states "These can be setup in any ECU as a normal det CAS" so I would assume that means a S14/S15 ECU with Nistune would recognize the CAS no problem, right?

I do not want to go full standalone at the moment, so if I can get away with an S14/S15 ECU using VTC control and a single solenoid conversion to control VVL it would let me get the motor together much faster.

Really excited to start this build, I always hear how incredible these heads are can't wait to be running one.
Why not a S13 ecu and run nismotroincs? Then you can convert to map at the same time and set your rev limiter anywhere you want too.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #388
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
Why not a S13 ecu and run nismotroincs? Then you can convert to map at the same time and set your rev limiter anywhere you want too.
Nismotronic is really cool, but since the S13 doesn't have VTC, there is no ECU output that can be used to control the VVL solenoid. Unless Nismotronic adds extra outputs, which I can't find any info about on their site.
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #389
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Quote:
Nismotronic is really cool, but since the S13 doesn't have VTC, there is no ECU output that can be used to control the VVL solenoid. Unless Nismotronic adds extra outputs, which I can't find any info about on their site.
Straight from Nismotronics sites

Quote:
NOTE: Minor rewiring will need to be done for the VVL solenoid control using the General Outputs in the NismoTronicSA software
In essence, nismotronic will support VVL with minor changes. Nismotronic can trigger external outputs.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #390
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
You could use a separate RPM switch for that. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...FVBZhgodTMUO6g

Also, I ran into another issue with the P12. The DET fuel rail doesn't line up like it does on a P11. Looks like I'm going to have to cut off the current tabs and weld on new ones. Injector spacing is the same, the mounting tabs just don't line up.