Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
Farkel
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
Farkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Farkel
Best High Performance Tires for Stretching

When it comes to stretched tires, there are certain tires that have great, complimenting sidewall characteristics. Like the Falken 512s seem to run on the narrower side and have nice, flat sidewalls.

What if you want to a stretch setup with a ultra high performance tire, has anyone had experience with any?

I'm looking at the AD08Rs, the Dunlop ZIIs, etc.

The AD08Rs seem to run fat and have a wide sidewall. Not sure about the ZIIs. I know that the Hankook RS3s actually DO stretch rather nicely for that segment.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Best condoms to use to get pregnant.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #3
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Only on Zilvia.

Just buy some NS20s and be done with it.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:46 PM   #4
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
Best condoms to use to get pregnant.

Exactly. "What's the best condom.. to cut the tip off".
Old 11-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #5
Farkel
Zilvia Junkie

Farkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura aboutFarkel has a spectacular aura about
People here read stretching and they think 205s on a 10.5". I'm talking about a mild/moderate amount, but still need to pick a tire that has a flat sidewall for clearance purposes.

That doesn't even relate to my question, so I'm not sure why I even need to validate it. I guess I could have worded the title better, but it was to the point.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:57 PM   #6
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do you vape?
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:01 AM   #7
Farkel
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatduece View Post
Do you vape?
No I do not vape.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:05 AM   #8
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
Darn! I was gonna ask for best vape juice :/
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:30 AM   #9
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post

Just buy some NS20s and be done with it.
This guy is correct...
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #10
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkel View Post
People here read stretching and they think 205s on a 10.5". I'm talking about a mild/moderate amount, but still need to pick a tire that has a flat sidewall for clearance purposes.
I already answered your question.

You want more help, give up more information. Like what size tire and wheel you are running and how much clearance.

At the end of the day, stretching reduces performance, so wanting a high-dollar Ultra Performance tire... to then stretch is, eliminates that entire purpose.

Nankang NS-20 is a great tire to stretch and has a good sidewall. They have a good sporty tread pattern, however they are not made from super sticky material. You'll get plenty of miles out of them. For a sport tire they also are able to move in the snow. I recommend them as the cheapest possible budget tire.

As for 10.5" Wheel. I'm running a 315/35 R17 M/T Street ST. Trimmed fenders, no rub.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #11
Farkel
Zilvia Junkie

No you didn't. The fact that you're able to convince yourself that you did shows your lack of comprehension to what I'm asking. And before I even begin - STOP talking to me about the damn Nankang NS-20s.

I am asking for people's first hand experiences with high performance tires and what their sidewalls are like. Meaning tires with treadwears of around 200 or below. To put it as simply as possible, I want to know if a tire runs wide or not and what their actual cross section width is like in application. I can use this information to extrapolate whether or not it will fit my specific criteria for stretching.

I don't want your opinion on stretching versus not stretching high performance tires. I want to know if you personally mounted tires in my list and criteria. That's it. And NO, that does not include Nankang NS-20s.

If you want to throw that "only on Zilvia" card at me, I can use it to. I asked this exact same question on another forum and received helpful guidance already. I ask this question here, and I get condescending analogies to condoms and some try-hard idiot asking me about vaping.

Let me personally frame an example response that is more appropriate, because this subject is apparently so difficult to grasp.

Here are my 265/35 Advan A048s mounted on my 18x10" Advan GTs.

You can see that those tires run noticeably fat and the sidewalls are rounded.

This is what they look like mounted on a car for another angle.

I'll give you one more. This is what my old 255/40 Hankook RS-3s look like mounted on 17x10" RegaMasters.

You can see that they're relatively narrow versus other 255s in that segment.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #12
Corbic
Post Whore!

Then go buy some Sumitom HTR Zs. The 315/35 R17 is about as wide as a Good Year 275.

If you don't want people jumping on your shit, phrase your questions better. Your actual question is "Does anyone know the actual size of XZY tires because many tires don't match their advertised size."

At that point, it doesn't mater what size it's advertised as, you just need to know if you should buy a 255, 275 or a whatever.

HTR Z next to GS D3

Old 11-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #13
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
no experience with the advans or dunlops youre looking at but falken azenis stretch nice and have a good looking sidewall that offers good clearance and run pretty close to advertised sizes. only other performance tire ive ran stretched is kumho v700's which did not like to be stretched much at all but do have a perfectly flat sidewall
1988montecarloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #14
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Farkel
I have been around this forum for ages and I have read your blog years ago. However, your question just does not make much sense. Or maybe you are just having a hard time putting your thoughts into words.

IMO, no tire stretches nicely. When stretched, the tire lacks the ability to absorb bumps. The only reason that I think people do this is to run an excessively wide rim (for bragging purposes) and still get away with a shit small sized tire. I think its stupid as all hell.

Either way, what your looking for is advice that you probably wont find on this forum or possibly any forum.

Get yourself the proper wheel and tire and be done with. Some of us on this forum are smart, but a crap heap of new idiots here are plain dumb and think they are smart by hopping on the bandwagon of being a dick. Only I should be allowed to be a dick around here. :-)
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #15
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
I've been running 245 hoosier A7s on a 9.5" wheel for the last couple of years, just for autox. Hoosiers obviously run a little wide, but the slight bit of stretch makes for a bit wider tire and we can run the pressures pretty low and keep good feel.

Ran like this so I could avoid chopping up quarterpanels and fenders for 275+ tires.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #16
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
have run falken azenis and they are pretty good..am really liking my federal ss595s as of late
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #17
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
I'm actually a fan of the NITTO NT555R's. NT05/R's are also a nice choice.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #18
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
I've always thought Dunlops look nice when stretched.

From shreev's car

Thread page: http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t...d+tire&page=53

can't speak to performance though.

Toyo and Hancooks comparable tire looks a little more bulbous in the sidewall for my taste:

I think Yokohamas and Falkens look nice. Feddys run wide, but you probably already knew that.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #19
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Vouch for OP- builds some excellent cars and knows what he is doing. I had no issue understanding the question, lol.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #20
Farkel
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
have run falken azenis and they are pretty good..am really liking my federal ss595s as of late
Yes, already know Falkens stretch well. Federals are poop, they're horrible at stretching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
I'm actually a fan of the NITTO NT555R's. NT05/R's are also a nice choice.
The NT05s do actually run a little bit narrow and have a nice sidewall, and it's a tire that fits the bill.

This is what a 235/40 NT05 on a 17x10" looks like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOn! View Post
I think Yokohamas and Falkens look nice. Feddys run wide, but you probably already knew that.
Thanks for the info, that was helpful. I would love to see more examples of the Dunlop ZII, especially in 18" sizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Vouch for OP- builds some excellent cars and knows what he is doing. I had no issue understanding the question, lol.
<3
Old 11-07-2016, 10:45 PM   #21
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Yes, already know Falkens stretch well. Federals are poop, they're horrible at stretching.
They're not the best tires out there, but Federals are cheap, and stretch really well. Part of the reason they're so popular. Pretty much all I've ever ran. Not sure if you've had first hand experience stretching them? They stretch like butter and won't debead on you. Just run a little big is all.
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:32 PM   #22
Farkel
Zilvia Junkie

I should probably be more precise with my descriptions and contexts in this thread. I agree Federals mount rather easy, but what I mean by I don't like the way they stretch is how fat they run.

Here are my 255/35 Federal RSRs on a 18x10 from a few years ago. The sidewall was quite rounded of course. Ideally, I would've had to undersize the tire.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:23 AM   #23
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Quote:

The NT05s do actually run a little bit narrow and have a nice sidewall, and it's a tire that fits the bill.

This is what a 235/40 NT05 on a 17x10" looks like:

Thanks for the info, that was helpful. I would love to see more examples of the Dunlop ZII, especially in 18" sizing.

<3
Glad that I at least get it.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #24
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
so what qualifies as "the best" because all of these stretched setups look like shit to me
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #25
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
Quote:

<3
Direct from the fitmentwhore thread:

Wheel Specs are 18x10 +22 (with 13mm spacers to clear R33 Brakes) w/ 225/40-18 Star Specs up front and 18x10.5 +10 w/ 235/40-18 General G-MAX AS-03.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #26
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
What sizes are you trying to run?

255 & 265 on 10" wide wheels are not stretched, they're really a pretty optimal tire size for the wheel.

The fastest Miata track dudes run 205 on 8", 225 on 9", etc., fast S2000 guys do 245 on 9", 255 on 10", etc.
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:33 PM   #27
Farkel
Zilvia Junkie

Alright, time to bring this full circle and give it closure. I decided on NT05s and moved forward with them. They were just what I was looking for.

For reference to anyone else looking. 255/35 and 225/40 on my 18" 10.5 & 9.5J RegaMasters.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #28
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough
gfd that car is so good

also, sell me the wheels off the s13
Old 01-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #29
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I ran Falken Azenis RT615k's on my Regas and they stretched nicely.