Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #1
Lord Vader
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
Lord Vader is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Exclamation Need help assembling wheels

Hey All,

I'm having some trouble assembling my SSR formula mesh wheels. The face is being difficult and I'm unable to tap the face into the barrel to sit flush. I'm using a rubber mallet and working in a star figure. Only problem i'm having is that one side won't go down to the barrel to sit flush.

I have cleaned any residue on the barrel to make the process easier but no go. Faces are newly powder coated and all the masking tape has been removed so no issues when assembling. I'm located in the Bay Area, San Jose CA specifically I would like someone with more experience than me to assist assembling my wheels. Let me know thanks!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
theStig880
Zilvia Junkie

theStig880 is on a distinguished road
The Widening Wheel thread has plenty of information on this topic, so I'd take a look there for more info:

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=327620

To answer your questions, I just want to clarify. Are the barrels the originals or new? If original, are they bent at all? It is possible, although I haven't had it happen yet, the new powder coat is too thick. It should be a pretty tight fit to begin with and powder can be a few thousandth of an inch thick.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
+1 for the powdercoat is too thick.
normally you tape off any area like that so you don't run into issues like this

i ran into the same issue the first time i had faces powdercoated. took some emery cloth to the area where the face seats against the lip/barrel and after that it fit, but still took some work with the dead blow hammer to get it to fit

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:04 AM   #4
Lord Vader
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by theStig880 View Post
The Widening Wheel thread has plenty of information on this topic, so I'd take a look there for more info:

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=327620

To answer your questions, I just want to clarify. Are the barrels the originals or new? If original, are they bent at all? It is possible, although I haven't had it happen yet, the new powder coat is too thick. It should be a pretty tight fit to begin with and powder can be a few thousandth of an inch thick.

Thanks Stig for the link, The barrels are original and from my researching they are anodized out the factory? And yes the powder coat may be thick on the backside of the face where it would meet the barrel. What I may do is sand it down a little to help with assembling. When I first disassembled I had to use a 2x4 on the back of the face and use a rubber mallet and gave it a good wack for the faces to pop off the barrels.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:09 AM   #5
Lord Vader
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
+1 for the powdercoat is too thick.
normally you tape off any area like that so you don't run into issues like this

i ran into the same issue the first time i had faces powdercoated. took some emery cloth to the area where the face seats against the lip/barrel and after that it fit, but still took some work with the dead blow hammer to get it to fit
I don't have emery cloth at the moment but I do have different grades of sand paper available that I may use to sand the backside of the face. I'm hoping this will help the process of assembling, first time owning 2/3 piece wheels and definitely a good lesson to learn for future wheels
Old 01-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
Lord Vader
Leaky Injector

UPDATE:

I was able to successfully install 2x faces by sanding down the backside of the face where it would meet the barrel. I would tap the face enough for one side to sit flush and install the hardware to keep the face seated. In order for me to be able to tap the other side of face in giving it a good wack. I have confidence that if I do the same for the 2x wheels I have left it will work.